• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

Wynter's Night

The following story is of a young woman who has her life changed and sets out to seek answers after a tragic event...

Chapter 1: The Hooded Man
S
he heard someone calling for her. "Alys! Alys where are you?" "I'm here!," said Alys as she came rushing into the homely shack from the moonlit night. "Is everything alright Martin?," Alys anxiously asked. "Oh I am just splendid. I was just fearful, you have been gone for very long. I imagined something harrowing had happened to you," said Martin. "I was out tracking deer like usual, but there was this one buck that had really grasped my attention. He was a challenge, no doubt, but I managed to stick him with an arrow," said Alys. " It seems those local boys have taught you well enough how to hunt huh?," said Martin graciously. He began coughing roughly as he went for a chair. He is getting weaker as the days pass. I need to help him, thought Alys. "Have you been taking your medicine lately Martin?," She said studying his breathing. Martin was not terribly old but the few years have not done him really well it appeared.

The 53 year old man began to appear older to Alys when she had become 21 a few months back. His pale face began to sag sluggishly and his eyes were becoming lazier more oft than not. The black hair that used to seal his scalp had turned grey and parts of it had been falling off in his sleep. "I am fine, I just need the healer to fix me up a more potent batch," said Martin. "Could you-," said Martin before Alys interrupted him. "Of course I will go get your medicine for you," Said Alys happily. "I'll head for town first thing in the morning," She said. "Thank you dear, now get some rest you look weary," Martin finished. As fatigued as she was, Alys slept very little. She had been thinking about Martin's deteriorating health most of the night. I need to help him, she thought. I cannot think of the day he dies. He has always cared for me even thought I was never his own child. It is my turn to take care of him. He will get better.

Alys quickly and quietly dressed in her adventuring attire as she did not want to wake Martin from his deep slumber. She opened the shack door to the crisp Cyrodiilic morning air taking in all the aromas from the surrounding trees and wildlife. Her fervid red hair glistened and her autumn colored eyes beamed under the fair sun. The scar under her left eye also occasionally flared in the daylight. With her knapsack ready, she whistled for her dog, Bran. The mutt was a loyal companion for Alys for the last six years. Alys had cared for him when he had been a mere pup and raised him as she had been raised by Martin for half a decade. The mutt was from a breed of dogs that did typically well in cold locations. Huskies, the northerners seemed to call them, were usually more common in Skyrim. Fortunately for Bran, snow covered this area of Cyrodiil as much the Northern region. Together, Alys and Bran set for the outer town of Bruma.

As Alys entered the modest town outside of Bruma, the local folk greeted her with courteous attitudes as children played with Bran. Alys had become well known there during the five years she had spent with Martin. She had even made friends with the local town boys and would spend hours doing hardy activities. She always preferred swords to needles or fighting to dancing. For that reason, Alys barely acquainted herself with any of the girls around there. She did not want to be held back by the traditional customs set for women and Martin had welcomed her style of living.

She would have loved to stay around and converse with the townspeople but she remembered Martin needed her to get his medicine. She approached the healer's cabin and called for him. Alys and the healer exchanged pleasantries and spoke of the issue concerning Martin. The healer provided Alys with a new potion and gave her his blessings. Alys gave him farewell and and set for home.

As Alys approached Martin's shack, she felt a stillness in the air and a pain in her heart. The area surrounding the cabin had grown quiet but Bran had grown tense and growled lowly. She felt as an outsider like she had when she first met Martin who stood in the shack waiting to receive her. She neared to the front door and saw it was open. As friendly as Martin was, he was never the kind to leave his door open for anyone. He had always been the cautious type to anyone or anything. As she better inspected the door, she saw there was some blood on the handle. At that instant, Alys quietly pulled out her rusty iron sword and began to enter. She wanted to shout out to Martin but she knew it would be better to take things cautiously. She commanded Bran to wait by the door as she entered.

She first noticed that the bookshelf that opposed the door was knocked over and food from the table was all over the main room. She continued along the hall to Martin's room warily looking for any threats in the other rooms. She neared Martin's room and peered over to his bed where he rest. What she saw next had horrified her and forced here to gasp loudly. It was Martin in his bed shrouded in blood as more of it seeped from his neck. She was so paralyzed by the sight that she barely noticed the figure standing to his side. It was a hooded man in black and red clothing who had a dagger in his right hand. Alys felt as though she could not move and made no move. She and the hooded man stared at each other for a few seconds before he said, "You should have been long dead. This old man has cared for you well. Now you will join him." The hooded man lunged at Alys and attempted to strike her in the face but she backed up. She took right swing to the man's head but he ducked and tackled her to the ground. He put his hand over her mouth and tried to slice her neck until she bit his hand and punched him in the head. It was no use for her. The man overpowered her and retrieved his fallen dagger. But just as he was about to make the finishing kill, Bran appeared out of nowhere and attacked the man and teared down at his throat. Bran gnawed at his neck until nothing but blood covered his open throat. Alys rose and approached Martin's body. Her eyes began to swell as she stood staring at him. She had spent the remaining day and night by his side crying.

The following day Alys had some townsfolk help her bury Martin on a hill overlooking his shack. She set a grave for herself next to his when the time came. She stood outside where people consoled her while Bruma guards were investigating murder. One of the guards came to Alys and showed her a letter that was in the hooded man's clothing. The note read, * Outside of Bruma, Cyrodiil you will find a girl named Alys Khentyn and a man named Martin Calvos. Take care of them both. Someone important has been wanting them dead. Don't come back to Skyrim till you take care of it.* Under the words there was a bloody looking hand symbol. She was not familiar with it. She asked around but got no answer. She felt as though the people knew but did not want to tell her. There was this one old lady, however, that had told her that this was the work of the Dark Brotherhood. Old Giz was what the lady was called around town. She looked to be the oldest person alive. She told Alys, " if you want to find out who did this, you must head for Skyrim and seek out this Dark Brotherhood." Alys knew that was what she had to do.

She spent the remaining couple of days preparing for her trip to Skyrim. She gave her goodbyes and cleaned up the shack before her departure. Alys did not think it would be wise to give away the shack after what happened recently so she decided to lock and board it up until she returned. She hoped she would return seeking what she was after. She readied Bran and set North to the cold harsh lands of Skyrim searching for the Dark Brotherhood.
To be continued...

Last edited:

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts