• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

Madrar

The Shadow in the Dark.
Council
Alinor, Somerset Isles, The Crystal Tower
4E 219
No weapons were permitted inside the grand council chambers, although Salthar Vivarian was certain that more than one of the council members wished that there were no such prohibition. In addition to the no-weapons policy, the stones that made up the walls of the chamber were imbued with magic dampening dweomers, which prevented the use of magic within, and defended against magical assault from outside. Royal Aldmeri guards, part of the queens' protection stood ready to repel any physical and magical assault from outside the chamber.​
However, despite all these formidable magical and physical defenses, they did nothing to stop a vampire lord. Salthar could have killed every one of the council members in moments, including the High queen, before the guards even made it through the door. Fortunately for the council, he had absolutely no interest in killing them. Not this day, anyways. Officially, the vampire was an Altmer lord, having earned his title fighting in the Great war, and later in Skyrim. Unofficially, he was seen as a rogue Thalmor agent, who followed his own orders, but got results. Most Altmer abhorred the undead, and the majority of the council members in seated in the chamber seemed no different.​
He paid no attention to the sneers and worried glances, instead he swept the circular room with his eyes, recognizing three of the council members. The minister of war, Thalas Ayvindor, the lord wizard, Agromir Thanasa, and finally, the high inquisitor, Celestia Mourne. The three of them worked for the Thalmor, although only the gaunt, gold skinned Celestia was actually wearing her robes. Salthar himself wore his own customized, heavily enchanted gold,black and red robes, along with his gloves. He'd removed his hood, allowing, his thick, midnight black hair to cascade forward over his shoulders. The room was humming with the murmur of councillors, in quiet conversation.​
All that conversation ceased once the doors opened, and Morgiah, the Dunmer High Queen, and leader of the Altmer nation entered. She took her seat, which was slightly elevated, allowing her a full and unobstructed view of the entire room. She nodded to several council members, before her gaze was drawn to the vampire. A little surprise in her gaze, perhaps fear as well, however, regardless of her personal feelings she nodded and said "Lord Vivarian, it pleases us that you have found the time to return to Alinor" Salthar inclined his head slightly from his seat, although he suspected that not all those present were exactly pleased to see him returned unharmed.​
As if to confirm his suspicion, the minister of war, Thalas, spoke up "we heard reports that you'd fallen in battle outside Whiterun, nearly three years ago, and yet here you are" Salthar smiled and made an inconspicuous movement with his left hand, covering his right, where a gold ring with a small, flawless ruby sat, although Thalas couldn't see that. "I have my ways, councillor Ayvindor, I assure you" the elf seemed to be refraining from making a caustic remark, and Salthar decided to reveal his reason for returning to the capital of the dominion. Standing, he automatically drew all attention to himself. "Speaking of Skyrim, you majesty, if I may, I have a proposition for the council" the attitude in the room went from surprised to vaguely curious. Morgiah nodded, her own expression inquisitive.​
"After my...defeat, by the allied Nord and Imperial forces, the emperor signed a treaty with Ulfric Stormcloak. Skyrim is no longer part of the Empire. They are still reeling from the last two wars, and if we strike now, we can eliminate Ulfric and his upstart trouble makers once and for all" most of the council members looked doubtful, but the high inquisitor looked intrigued, as did Thalas Ayvindor. "What about an alliance between Skyrim and the empire? If we attack, will the Imperials support Ulfric?" Inquired one of the others in the room. Salthar shook his head, grinning​
"Doubtful.The empire just lost another of it's provinces.They can't afford to go to war with the Dominion again" this seemed to put most of the doubts away, although many of the councillors still seemed on the brink of disagreeing with him.​
Morgiah herself seemed uncertain, after a few moments of speaking with some of the Altmer closest to her seat, she straightened once again. "The council will re-convene in one week from now" the chamber emptied quickly, with the Altmer nobles heading out to their homes or other areas in the capital city. Salthar was one of the last to leave, beside the high inquisitor. As they stepped into the bright sunlight, the Altmer vampire turned to face the woman "high inquisitor...is there something I can help you with?" Celestia stopped as well, a curious smile on her thin lips. She was slender, but not underweight, with her robes hanging open, and her shirt underneath that was cut in a low V, probably intended to be more than a little enticing.​
"You intrigue me, lord Vivarian" she said at last, and Salthar, his hood now up and protecting his skin from the harmful rays of the sun rose a single black eyebrow. "Is that all?" He smirked, watching the woman like a hawk observes its prey. Celestia brushed a single strand of pale gold hair away from her face, a predatory smile replacing her former grin. "You also surprise me, I didn't expect a vampire to be able to have so many of our people willingly follow your lead" laughing, the Altmer vampire nodded, and on an impulse, seized her delicate wrist in one of his gloved hands.​
"You haven't changed in the slightest, Celestia", he commented, and then continued " And I think you'll find I have that quality" with that, he bent, and gently kissed the top of her hand with his freezing cold lips. Straightening, he bid her good afternoon and went on his way, smiling to himself as he recalled the look of startled excitement on her face. A few moments later, his younger brother appeared out a dark alley, where he'd been waiting. "That was quick" Vengar Vivarian remarked as he fell into step with the older vampire. Salthar shrugged "the council was less than willing to agree to an assault on Skyrim.They'll reconvene a week from today, in which time I am certain they'll come up with more reasons why it is a horrible idea" he lectured, nearing the mansion that he'd been granted upon his return to the Isles. "What can we do about it to change their minds?" Inquired Vengar, hurrying to get out of the sun and into the darkness of the mansion.​
Grinning, his older brother turned and stated " we'll simply have to persuade them, dear brother"​

Madrar

The Shadow in the Dark.
A Little Persuasion
Stormrest Manor
The two vampires stared at the rather official looking document in shared bemusement. It had arrived several hours ago, via a military attache. It was written in a artful, rolling script, and signed at the bottom by the minister of war, Thalas Ayvindor. Although it was several paragraphs long, bluntly, it stated that the minster nor any of his underlings would support Salthar's proposition. "All this trouble, simply to spite me" he muttered to himself. Vengar glanced at him, a curious expression on his face, and the other elf answered the unspoken question. "Minister Ayvindor isn't particularly fond of me. I expect I offended him a few decades ago somehow"​
" You still want him to support you?" Asked the younger brother. Already, he was nodding in response.​
"Thalas and I don't see eye to eye, but he answers to the Thalmor, and hence, he will support my wishes, whether he wants to or not" Salthar withdrew an inkwell, quill and a single sheet of parchment. He glanced at his brother, who lingered, leaning casually against a wall. Sighing, the older vampire drew out another sheet, inkwell, and quill, brandishing them at his brother. " The lord wizard, however, is a different story" Vengar groaned and pushed himself off the wall, and asked "how exactly is Agromir Thanasa a different story? He doesn't seem to like you any more than the minister" Salthar chuckled and shook his head.​
"Agromir doesn't like me, but he's no fool. That's why I'm speaking with him personally, and you're going to invite him for afternoon tea tomorrow" Salthar tapped the parchment, and turned back to his own letter he was writing. When he glanced up a moment later, Vengar still stood beside him, looking stunned. "Yes?" He inquired, staring at his brother.​
"You want to invite the lord wizard to afternoon tea!?" Exclaimed the younger vampire. His brother seemed to think about the question before smiling lightly and responding "yes, but it won't happen if you don't start writing" with that he made a dismissive motion, and the other elf walked away, writing utensil and parchment in hand, shaking his head and muttering to himself. The next morning, three letters were sent from Stormrest Manor. One was addressed to High Lord Illuvian, a high ranking Thalmor official. The second was addressed to Minister Thalas Ayvindor, and the third and final letter went the lord wizard, Agromir Thanasa. Only the last of those letters was an invitation, and Salthar set the servants preparing for afternoon tea with the lord wizard. They weren't surprised by the order, as most of them had worked for high ranking nobility all of their lives,and were used to obeying orders.​
A couple of hours later, the lord wizard arrived seemingly alone, and doing his best to look unconcerned. Of course, anyone who was invited to the lair of a vampire unconcerned was either a fool, or suicidal. From what Salthar knew of the lord wizard, Agromir Thanasa was neither. Vengar confirmed his suspicions, informing him that half a dozen high mages were watching the manor, doubtless ready to charge in, flinging spells, at the first sign their leader was in any kind of danger. Servants opened the doors to the guest, and led him to the common room, where a pair of heavily polished wooden chairs sat opposite each other, and between them was an equally shined table. Standing to one side, was Salthar, doing his best to look innocent, wearing a silver tunic and black breeches.​
"Lord Thanasa, I'm very pleased you could make it!" he enthused, doing his best to put his fellow noble at ease. Agromir hesitated before responding, obviously searching for a non-existent insult. Finding none, the lord wizard smiled slightly. "I must admit, I was rather surprised by your invitation, lord Vivarian" He took his seat, leaning his two meter long, birch wood wizards' staff against the side of his chair. It was topped with a large, fist sized emerald, flawless and bound to the staff by strands of precious metal. The lord wizard himself wasn't unimpressive either, with flowing purple robes, a Thalmor badge pinned over his right breast, and an impressive array of magical wands and rings about his person. Physically, he wasn't imposing: he was thin, though tall, and had a narrow face, framed by dark blonde, almost brown hair. However, he had an invisible aura of command about him, clearly, he was used to being obeyed.​
Salthar offered a platter of thin, honey glazed wafers. "From the finest baker in Alinor" he assured the other elf, who accepted the offered plate. Finally, the vampire decided to bring up the issue of half a dozen high mages lurking outside the manor. "So, lord Thanasa, you came alone?" He inquired politely, watching his guest carefully. The lord wizard stopped with his tea cup halfway to his lips, his eyes darting up and Salthar saw him decide to lie. "Alone? Of course, we're both allies and of the same race here, what reason would I have for bringing others?" Agromir managed to look reasonably confused, and Salthar might have believed him. However, he simply smiled and shook his head "there's no need to lie to me, lord wizard. Unless of course, the six high mages lurking about my manor are here on their own initiative?"​
He watched as the other Altmers' golden skin paled to nearly the same shade as Salthar's. The vampire let him stutter through a few feeble excuses, before he finally sighed. "You needn't look so fearful, lord Thanasa. I only require your support in the council chambers, and militarily" the lord wizards' features twisted as he realized what Salthar meant. "Minister Ayvindor is-" the vampire cut him off sharply.​
"A fool, and nothing more. Despite what his lordship may think, he is not indispensable" the look on the lord wizards face showed that he understood all too clearly. "And when I become 'dispensable? Will you simply have one of my eager students dispatch me?" Agromir Thanasa was no fool, Salthar would grant him that.​
He smiled, all mock friendliness "but my dear lord wizard, are we not friends and allies?" Agromir stuttered before shrugging meekly and nodding.​
They spent the rest of the hour enjoying the tea, and at the end of the hour, lord wizard Thanasa left Salthar with a promise of his and the wizards college. As servants cleaned up the remnants of tea, Vengar approached from the shadows. "That was...efficient" coming from the silent, deadly vampire, those three words were a great compliment. "Only one more remains, and I think I'll pay her a visit personally" Salthar stated, strolling to the marble staircase, intending to get some rest before night fell. He spoke of course, of High Inquisitor Celestia Mourne, a woman that interested Salthar in more than a political sense. She certainly seemed to find him...interesting as well.​
That night, Salthar left the manor, resplendent in a burgundy tunic, and grey pants, with black, shin high boots that were so polished they shone in the dim light given off by the lanterns. Celestia Mourne's mansion was on the western side of the city, and Salthar arrived there within half an hour. The mansion itself was a thing of beauty, with an artfully sculpted fountain in the center of a courtyard, surrounded by elaborate fences. At the gate, a pair of sculptures depicted a pair of Altmer in flowing robes, one playing a harp and another playing a flute. The guards at the gate stopped him only long enough to make sure he was who he was saying he was. It didn't take long,as there was only one black haired vampire in the city. He strolled casually to the double doors and knocked with the back of his hand. Celestia herself opened the door, out of her robes of office, and dressed in a more comfortable midnight blue gown. Clearly, she was relaxed, and didn't seem all that surprised to see him.​
"Lord Vivarian, you do have a way of living up to expectations" she congratulated, moving back from the doors, allowing the vampire entrance. Glancing around he noticed that no servants awaited the High Inquisitors orders, and marble tiled halls were empty except for the two Altmer. "Do you not have any servants, High Inquisitor?" Salthar inquired, as he walked beside her into a common room where a bottle of fine red wine awaited consumption. She laughed, then her voice light and almost carefree. "Let's just say, I anticipated your arrival tonight" Salthar lifted a single black eyebrow in amusement.​
"I see, and what might make you think I would be visiting you on this fine night?" Celestia smiled gently. "Lord Vivarian, word travels fast around the capital...I already have heard of your afternoon tea with the Lord Wizard" she explained. A strange gleam in her eyes, almost as if daring him to say something. A stare that she probably fixed on her subordinates when they disobeyed. Salthar found himself grinning almost in embarrassment. " I may have....persuaded the lord wizard to see things my way, and support my decision next week" the vampire admitted, sipping a glass of wine.​
"So you've come here to secure my support on the council next week as well, stack the deck in your favor, and what not"​
"Do I have your support?" The vampire inquired of the smiling High Inquisitor.​
"No" she said simply, her smile growing as she leaned forward. "Persuade me" Almost without realizing it, Salthar too, found himself leaning forwards, his own cold lips coming in contact with her own warm ones. It was not an unpleasant surprise, and he let himself fall into it, trailing his cold lips down her neck to her collarbone, raising goosebumps in their path. It didn't take long for the pair to retire to the bedroom, although sleep was far from both their minds.​
The vampire lord departed before the servants arrived to begin their morning schedule, thinking it may be a little awkward if they found such an influential woman in bed with a vampire. He departed to his manor, to find a grinning Vengar waiting for him. "Enjoy yourself, did you?" The younger vampire asked, a knowing smile on his lips. Salthar only chuckled "I won't deny that I enjoyed myself, but I think it's safe to say that we have the High Inquisitors' support for next week" Vengar only shook his head and laughed.​

Madrar

The Shadow in the Dark.

Madrar

The Shadow in the Dark.
Forgotten Power
"Are you certain this is the place?" Vengar inquired, fidgeting nervously in the moonlight. He was right to be nervous of course, because if what Salthar was about to attempt went horribly wrong, he could bring about a new disaster of horrendous proportions. "I've studied the ancient texts thoroughly.Yes, I'm certain" he assured his younger brother. "Can you control...whatever it is you're after down there?" The other vampire asked, gesturing at the opened door to the mausoleum. Salthar hesitated. The truth was, even the texts were unclear on what lurked in the darkness of this particular mausoleum. They only said a force of great power and great darkness dwelt inside. Looking back to his brother, the vampire lord smiled in what he hoped was a convincing manner. "We are creatures of death, Vengar. This is a place of death.By that logic, we should be able to overcome anything dwelling inside" the other vampire looked less than convinced.​
"You have the scroll ready?" Asked Salthar, and in response, Vengar held up the bound parchment. Penned upon the scroll was a powerful spell of containment, made especially to hold back things of undeath. He'd forced Vengar to study the spell multiple times, as a contingency, should Salthar fall to whatever lurked inside. "You know what you must do if I fail" the older vampire stated. Vengar nodded stoically, knowing that to recite the words on the parchment would seal the mausoleum, with his brother inside. That was, of course the worst case scenario, as Salthar had no intent of spending eternity trapped with the dead. "Good luck, Salthar" his brother said as the vampire lord descended into darkness.​
He needed no light to see his way down into the resting place of the dead. He brought a simple floating light forth anyways, simply to ensure that nothing was sneaking up on him. Sure enough,as soon as the magical light lit up the cavernous grave, several skeletons came forth, wielding ancient weapons. The vampire held his right hand out, as if in greeting, a gold-white wall of magic left his hand, and when it came in contact with the skeletal guardians, they fell to the ground, the magic binding them dispelled. Salthar took no pleasure in the small victory. He knew that the skeletons were a simple test, whatever dwelt in the depths testing the intruder. Salthar tightened his grip on the ancient book under his left arm. He needed it in order to harness the power of the mausoleum. Without it, he'd probably be as powerful as a common grave robber.​
The further he traveled into the tomb, the more ominous and dark it became, shadows moving when they shouldn't, whispering voices either warning the vampire back or encouraging him forwards, he couldn't tell. Several times he renewed his light spell, as it seemed an oppressive darkness snuffed it out every four or five meters. Finally, the vampire approached an iron door, which opened at his touch. The room inside was circular, with torches that sprang to life as soon as Salthar set foot inside the room. A pedestal, cobwebbed and dusty stood in the center. Set directly across from the door sat a skull, high on the wall, so white it almost shone, no dust had settled on it, nor had any spiders spun their webs near it.Shadows coiled in the eye sockets, almost like vipers preparing to strike.​
Carefully, reverently, he placed the ancient text on the pedestal, pausing to admire the cracked, blood red cover, before gently opening it and turning to the appropriate page. He concentrated on the arcane runes on the page, blocking out all else. Then he began to chant in a language long since forgotten by men and mer alike. It may as well have been another person chanting in the room, because Salthar knew none of the words that spilled from his mouth, except that they dripped with raw power. His throat and mouth became dry, but still he chanted on, not daring to tear his eyes away from the page until the ritual was complete. Gradually, his voice became his own again, and he swallowed multiple times, willing moisture back into his throat and mouth.​
From the skull, shadows poured, roiling over one another, and making a sinister hissing noise. They coalesced into a single mass of shadow, nothing recognizable as something on Nirn. The Altmer vampire felt an intrusion in his mind, not one of conquest, but simple curiosity. A vampire? And an elf at that...it is good that you have come, nightspawn.I have grown weary of this dark, damp place. You will serve as a powerful new body... At hearing the mocking, dark voice of the shadows in his mind, and it's declaration, Salthar immediately went into action, and a massive battle of wills began.​
Salthar had lived for nearly two centuries, no small part through his will to survive and grow stronger.Any other foe, he could have easily dispatched, without trouble. However, this...creature of shadow had existed for millennia, lurking in the dark places of the world, twisting the minds of men, mer and beasts, forcing them to serve as it's body. It had taken a dozen of the Altmers' most powerful wizards to force the creature into this mausoleum, where all it had for entertainment were spiders, skeletons, and the occasional rat to ease it's boredom. The wizards had studied the creature for decades, and tailored their spell of confinement specifically to stop it from escaping.​
But for all their power, they could not destroy it. The strongest of the High Elves, powerful in magics inconceivable to even the greatest in the present day, could not destroy the Shadow. So it had waited in the dark, biding it's time, possessing fools that stumbled inside, seeking adventure and treasure. The creature tormented it's prey, slowly stripping away their minds before destroying their bodies. No elf, vampire or not was going to postpone it's escape any longer. With this one's body, it would wreak terrible vengeance on the elves, before dominating the rest of Nirn. The Shadow felt victory approaching. Already it had stripped away many of the vampires' defenses, but it could not get past a single, memory, that the vampire clung to with all his might.​
A woman, clearly Altmer, stood in the rain, tall pine forests behind her, a gentle smile on her lips, as he slid the diamond ring onto her finger. Her sweet lilting laughter drifting through the surrounding trees, full of happiness.​
The Shadow searched through the vampires' memories, looking for a name. Virani. An elf named Virani. A cold land, full of snow, rain, and tall forests...No, not just an elf... a vampire as well...this one's sire.And wife. The vampire held onto that one memory of being married in the rain, a strong, impenetrable wall, holding back the creatures total domination of the elfs' mind. Then the Shadow realized something else as well. Not only was the vampire holding his own, but it was pushing the creature back! An unrelenting order for the Shadow to submit. Inch by inch, second by second, the Shadow lost ground and the vampire advanced across the battlefield of the mind. Then the Shadow was the one under attack, it's defenses giving way under the flowing river of the vampires emotions; love,hate,grief,joy, all supporting his order to submit! All of this was anchored on that single memory: Being married in the rain. Virani's carefree, happy laughter.​
The creature panicked, then raged, then pounded against the walls of it's prison with incorporeal fists, shrieking in fear and anger, unable to fight back against this one vampire. The creature felt it's power being ripped away, what passed for its life force being inexorably crushed into nothingness. For the first time in a millennia, the Shadow knew fear. Then it knew nothing at all.​
Salthar opened his eyes to see the skull shatter into hundreds of pieces, an ear piercing shriek of loss, fury and pain filling the room. He was on his knees, with no recollection of how he'd gotten there. Blood flowed from his nose, ears,eyes and he could taste it in his mouth. Then the wave of dark power hit him, snapping his arms out to the side, and his head back. He feared that his body was simply not powerful enough to hold all that raw energy, but it did. He was not torn asunder, nor was he possessed. He had won. The dark power that had been forgotten since the First Era now belonged to him. He collapsed against the pedestal, exhausted, and yet filled with a strange new power that screamed to be released. With an effort, he silenced that mental plea and glanced around. No whispering shadows, no skeletal minions. He truly had defeated the creature that had dwelt in the mausoleum for so long.​
The vampire struggled wearily to his feet, pausing only to collect the ancient text, and headed back out into the night. Vengar waited there, clearly anxious, watching the entrance of the mausoleum keenly. Upon seeing Salthar he called "brother? Is that you?" The older vampire realized that Vengar had the scroll opened, and ready. "Yes.It is I, Salthar Vivarian, son of Rethalion and Farial Vivarian" At those words, the younger vampire relaxed and re-rolled the scroll, for that was the prearranged signal. "Well, were you successful?" He asked and Salthar smiled in a tired manner and nodded. "Barely...the struggle was greater than I expected" he admitted. The pair of vampires headed back from the manor, to get some rest before the council reconvened the next day.​

Dovakiin98

Wow,before reading this I thought the power of love was something invente by Hollywood.;) P.S.Madrar,Salthar is a really interesting character,you did a great job with his backstory!

Madrar

The Shadow in the Dark.
Thanks, man. I appreciate that.

Madrar

The Shadow in the Dark.

Madrar

The Shadow in the Dark.
Thank you, Harc

Madrar

The Shadow in the Dark.
The Black Ship
The White River
The black ship was really nothing special. Like any other serious sea-going vessel, it had main mast, a pair of other masts, sails, and painted black. Beyond that, it was plain, and lacking a sense of...grandeur. Vengar Vivarian had never been one for fancy things, his orcish armour attested to that. As long as his equipment did whatever needed doing, the younger Vivarian wouldn't complain. Still...he wished they could announce their presence, let the peasants of Skyrim know that their soon to be masters would be revealing themselves shortly. Crewmen shuffled by him, giving him much more space than was needed, but then, they were nervous, some of them clutching amulets of their various gods, and muttering prayers as they passed. The Altmer vampire found it hilarious. Humans clung to their superstitions and to their gods, believing that garlic, silver, and sunlight could protect them. They often forgot, or perhaps chose to forget, that vampires had minds of their own, and could apply them.

The wrath of gods could be averted, silver could be withstood, and the sun resisted. It took strength of course, but what was a vampire if not strong, both physically and mentally? Vengar sneered at the men and women as they lived their pointless lives. Looking at them, he felt a dark rage, rise within his chest. How dare they continue on with their lives as if it matters? How dare they remain ignorant of the return of the vampire! How dare- His line of thought was abruptly cut short by the calm voice of his older brother. "I can almost hear you seething from the hold" Salthar Vivarian commented, hands clasped behind his back, wearing his usual Thalmor robes. The vampire lord didn't wear the black, gold, and red garments simply for the sake of it. Those colors also served to infuriate the crewmen.

The crew were made up of Nords, one and all, captured in the civil war, and taken back to Alinor when Salthar had been forced out of Skyrim. Before setting out, Salthar and the others had made it clear that any man that called out to another ship while on the sea, or to their fellow Nords when they arrived in Skyrim, would be painfully executed. Apparently, one of the crew men hadn't taken the warning seriously. The first chance the man got, he began shouting himself hoarse to another ship, begging them for help.
Salthar had ordered his hands and feet cut off, and then dropped him into the ocean and commanded the man to swim. While the man had floundered and splashed around trying to keep from sinking, the sharks had found him. No one had disobeyed orders on the ship after that. Salthar smiled as the crew grew even more nervous, quickly glancing over their shoulders to make sure the vampires weren't planning on having them for breakfast. Night had only just fallen, and thus the ship was making good time through the ice and freezing cold water of the White river.

"I apologize, but just having to endure the sight of these...these...peasants, makes me sick. They squander their lives away, always pretending they're dying for a reason" spat the vampire, shaking his head. Salthar nodded, either in understanding, or in answer to an unasked question. "Soon. Very soon, actually. Once we remove the Dawnguard, and signal the fleet, we will no longer need to coneal our identities. This war will crush Skyrim." Although Vengar didn't want to be calm, he found his brothers unshakable certainty soothing. He found himself nodding in agreement, and even smiling, which, of course, frightened the crew even more.
If they had been even remotely clever, they would have realized that they could most likely jump overboard, or at least attempt some form of escape. The torturerers on the Isles were excellent at their work, it seemed. The ship came into the docks of Solitude, crewmen throwing ropes down to the dock workers, who secured the ship. Then the men dropped anchor, holding the vessel completely in place. A ramp was shoved over the side, a makeshift stairway to the stone of the docks. Vengar stepped back, allowing his brother first access of the ship, but the older vampire shook his head, motioning the younger vampire ahead of him. Shrugging, Vengar headed down the ramp, ignoring the glares and curious looks of the dock workers.

Salthar turned to the captain, and smiled. "Thank you for your services, captain", and tossed something, underhand towards the man. The skipper of the vessel, foolishly thinking he was actually getting paid for his work, stretched out his hand to accept the coinpurse. Then he noticed it was actually a glowing ball of magic, and when the magic came in contact with his skin, the ball detonated. Vengar flattened himself on the stones, and felt, rather than saw his brother do the same. The dock workers,and the sailors, were not so lucky. Pieces of hull blew outwards, impaling those men on the docks that weren't burnt to a crisp by the blast of fire. Straightening, Salthar breathed in the scent of charred corpses and sighed appreciatively. "Nice spell" commented Vengar, eyeing the remains of the ship.

"It took me quite a while to figure it out. I didn't want the captain realizing he was going to die before I was ready. Casting a fireball would give the crew, and the men on the docks the chance to escape their fate" Glancing at the torch-bearing guards who were sprinting towards the docks as fast as they could, the older vampire said "Let us go. I have a carriage waiting for us outside the gates, and the guards will be suspicious if they see us departing the site of this..." he gave a mock sorrowful sigh " great tragedy" the pair of vampires departed immediately.

When the guards arrived, they would conclude that the ships cargo had been lamp oil in improperly sealed barrels. Someone hadn't handled the barrels properly, or had perhaps dropped a torch,lamp, or other source of fire, and had blown the ship to pieces. A tragedy, of course, but no foul play was expected, and so the guards, shaking their heads, went back to their rounds, knowing there was nothing further they could do.
Meanwhile, two figures, one in black,gold and red robes, the other in Orcish armour, were climbing into a carriage.

This carriage was rather fancy, with intricate designs painted on the sides, and folding steps that allowed the passengers to climb in with ease. The carriage was lead by a team of four large horses, all of them with coal black fur. The driver was thought to be downright sinister, with gloved hands, and a hooded head. He hunched forward in his seat, as if in pain, or concealing something. Once the carriage doors closed, the driver shouted to his team and snapped the reins, sending them into a easy trot. The two passengers inside were already planning their next move. A move that would bring the people's faith in the Dawnguard crashing down around them.

TheShadedOne

The Angry One
Well how the hell did I miss this? Awesome story.

Madrar

The Shadow in the Dark.
Thanks Dovah. Working on another at the moment:)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts