• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
I know The Lobby is mostly used for fun things, but I'd like to address this crisis seriously.

During the summer, big groups of Syrian people are fleeing their country. The reason why I want to address this is that I'm surprised by how many people yell things as: "It's good that those people drown" "We don't need that scum here".

What I said to those people is this: "Here you are, in a safe country. But in 10 years who knows? What if for example Belgium invades The Netherlands and the country gets destroyed by war. At that point you want to flee as well to a save place. Now imagine, you and your family packed with all you can carry, and the people in the country you want to go rather see you get shot/drowned or other stuff. I wonder how long it takes before you start crying about your human rights."

I feel like those people should stop seeing them as "migrants" (even though they are) and see them as humans, families, people like themselves.

I came across this video and I'd like to share it with you:

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
Around where I live here in the US, I see this stuff on the news everyday. But no one talks about it.

hershangames

Well, here in Spain, everyone talks about it, but few people really thinks it through.
A lot of people say that they should get back to Syria and change their country if that's what's bothering them, what I say to this people is:
A)the country is not the problem, the problem is the war

B) After the Spanish Civil War, hundreds of people fled the resulting dictatorship and went to France or Germany. No one ever changed the country, the dictatorship ended when the dictator(Franco) died, about sixty years later. And that happened too in other countries during and after both WW1 and WW2. But no one gives a damn about that. Apparently it's to forget it and tell people to do something g we were never able to do just because of completely unfair feeling that they will take your job. Way to go.

sent by the almighty Hershan from tapatalk

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
Well, here in Spain, everyone talks about it, but few people really thinks it through.
A lot of people say that they should get back to Syria and change their country if that's what's bothering them, what I say to this people is:
A)the country is not the problem, the problem is the war

B) After the Spanish Civil War, hundreds of people fled the resulting dictatorship and went to France or Germany. No one ever changed the country, the dictatorship ended when the dictator(Franco) died, about sixty years later. And that happened too in other countries during and after both WW1 and WW2. But no one gives a damn about that. Apparently it's to forget it and tell people to do something g we were never able to do just because of completely unfair feeling that they will take your job. Way to go.

I've heard that argument as well: "We should not take them in, we should fix their home." That would be another solution, if even possible. I think the Syrians would prefer that as well, going home to their own place when it's normal again. But I'm afraid there is already been a point of no return. Take them in now, and when the war is done, help rebuild Syria to give them their home back.

Thank you for posting this, Nyoxios. Over here in the US where I live, I've been seeing the mass exodus of refugees but the news never did say what was causing it. I tried Googling it but only found coverage about how Turkey cracked down on them.
That's one thing I really dislike about American media, they never tell you what exactly is going on, or if they do, it seems like you get a 5 second explanation and if you miss it, oh well. :/
Atleast now I know what's happening. As far as my opinion on the refugees themselves - yes, I suppose in a way they are immigrants. But so were Americans at one time. And I never understood this perception that immigrants take jobs. They don't, atleast not in the way people say they do.
The only people taking jobs as far as I know are the Indians, and that's not even on them, it's on the corporations moving their businesses over to India. The only other jobs I've heard of being taken as far as the Mexican immigrants go are things like orange picking which I guarantee you 99% of Americans won't do or don't want to do. It's just as ridiculous to say other immigrants will take jobs. And even if they get a few, I mean, everyone has to get by somehow. And lord knows there are enough to go around if you're creative enough. That's my two cents on it. :/
And yeah in an ideal world we could just solve the problem forcing the refugees out overnight and move them all back. But that's not reality. Solving problems that big takes time, as does moving that many refugees back to their home country. And I'm sure if you asked them, they'd say they want to be home. But they have no choice. That's not their fault and people shouldn't act like it is. Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hershangames

Well yeah, Americans are basically a mix of immigrants, they descend from the British, the American Indians, the Mexicans, the Spanish and the French. And I'm pretty sure there's a bit of Italian descendence. So I don't really get how can there be so much discrimination over there.

I hope I'm not offending anyone when I say this, but pretty much every country has had a major exodus at some point or another, and I find highly selfish, actually more stupid than selfish, that they now deny entrance to people from an exodus.
In fact, they shouldn't even be allowed to deny it, it's their right as human beings.

But alas, paraphrasing 2Pac:"And still I see no changes".

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
Well yeah, Americans are basically a mix of immigrants, they descend from the British, the American Indians, the Mexicans, the Spanish and the French. And I'm pretty sure there's a bit of Italian descendence.

A lot of Dutch descendance as well.

English and Scottish make up the majority of American ancestry, with the Germans not much less, and the Irish and Italians also make up notable contributions to American ancestry.

Dabiene Caristiana

Your friendly neighborhood weirdo
Don't forget Asians! They ain't chopped liver y'know...

But yeah, I'm disgusted by people having no empathy at poor children drowning, starving, trampled on, etc. Children, men, women, doesn't matter. It's terrible to watch.

Part of it is people becoming desensitized to all the crap that's happening. Another is Religious or racial background. People are wary of Muslims or people of Islam, even though I'm sure some of the refugees may have a different religion, like being Christians.

I read somewhere that many in Germany converted to Christianity for the sole purpose of getting amnesty. Others however seem genuine in converting, possibly trying to leave the past behind, or after seeing horrid acts done in their previous religion they decide to believe in something else, something more hopeful.

However there are others that I've seen in the media many times that trash things, break things, steal, loot, riot, fight, vandalize, and many other terrible acts after being let in. I know a lot of them want to start a new life after leaving everything behind, not even knowing if they would survive the journey or not.

But the answer to the question on why people don't take more in...

Paranoia. And lack of empathy. That and perhaps there just isn't enough to help contribute or help in some areas. I saw another article that in some town in Europe they had to kick the renting tenants out of their homes (they are legal citizens, some living there for 10 years) in order to make way for the migrants. Also take a look at Japan. The... I THINK anyway... The PM of Japan said they would love to take in some migrants, but they have to deal with problems at home. Which is the responsible thing to do. Because they aren't in a position to really take in anyone. They also donated money for the cause in relief for them... I think it was around 8 Billion US Dollars? I think? I can't remember. Maybe it was 8 Million? Eh. Either way, it's the thought that counts.

The whole thing is just one big frickin' mess. I doubt it will get any better anytime soon.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts