• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
    Staff member
    The Emperor seems like one huge evil cliche to me.
    I have a few things in mind that might change that outlook. But it would spoil it. He was inspired in build and power by the likes of Senator Armstrong (though not that friggin OP) and Galbatorix. Tbh, even I think he's cliche on the surface. The CC is supposed to give the basic outline of him, and give a basic impression of him. I got the idea of him largely from the king in Demon's Souls, and Gwyn in Dark Souls. I also have some characteristics that I feel are unique. I don't pretend to know whether he will still be considered cliche (he probably will) after everything is said and done... i've never had to write my own villain before, so I tried to take what I'd learned from books and tv shows and movies to try and create an impactful antagonist.
    I am open to any suggestions you might have to improve him, and the reason I haven't started the RP yet is because I want to be as prepared as possible before we go in, but topics about my characters can lead to some huge spoilers...

Delusional

Connoisseur of Hallucinations
    Yeah, it felt like you drew large parts of the Emperor from Dark Souls. He's just so... evilly cliche.

Unknown beyond the obvious. Some darker force may have a hand in all of this...

He is all too aware of the Aedra an Daedra, but he seems to worship something else...

Amassing power and spreading ruin

All around badass

His greatest fear has already been realized, and he lives with it every day.

It seems so obviously evil, malevolent, and overall cliche.

There needs to be more depth to him. Less evil, more character. There's too many things about him that just put him over the top. If there is some dark force that seems straight out of Dark Souls controlling him, don't tell us--reveal it to us in the RP. Honestly, I feel like you should've refrained from giving us a whole CC on the Emperor. If you want him to be this badass, evil guy, then let us see that in the RP, not on a character card.

Plus, he sounds like a warrior. What is a warrior doing as the Emperor of the Empire, unless he gained power through some military coup? If he's such a skilled warrior, why exactly is he the Emperor and not like the top General of the Legion? "badass" is a word I would never describe an Emperor with.

Just some thoughts.

Staff member
    I admit, I went way over the top with the badas* thing, and in retrospect I should have thought out posting the CC. The whole warrior thing and over the topness mostly comes from Senator Armstrong (a VERY over the top final boss that i found absolutely awesome) who was a ex football player and navy soldier. Though I should have put two and two together and realized "Hey! This isn't a democracy! Warriors don't make emperor!" Im glad you called me on that one, I really got carried away with trying to make him formidable... but I have a backup plan for that, so he can just be a magic master after coming back from the absence. As for the obviously evil thing, I just felt it was necessary that the LPers knew this guy was BAD NEWS before establishing his motives and everything. I was afraid of being too vague with him, and jumped the gun, but that is still rectifiable with our IC. Our characters don't have to know he is an evil evil mastermind, i envisioned most of us having more personal motives (though I definitely should have made that more clear, and I do remember mentioning it a few times), before we get embroiled in the "Evil, Evil" plot.

Delusional

Yeah, alright. I just thought I should point out a few issues I found within the Emperor and some general thoughts in regards to him.

Staff member
    Good thing about this is that it's not too late to improve. I left a lot of unknowns in the CC (which was originally intended to give some history) so it's not a total spoiler loss for you xD I definitely should have kept it as a history type thing, but then I might never have seen some critical flaws in my character.
    I do have an idea to give us an epic fight with him which utilizes melee, though I'd like to keep it as a surprise. I would like everyone to be aware that we're going to be fighting some real powerhouses though.

Im going to edit in some changes to his build, and skills and things. I have a unique class idea, which I'd prefer not to reveal too much about.

Delusional

So, just wondering, is this RP basically your own take on Dark Souls? I mean, massive, complex arena games, this huge, badass Emperor, "boss fights"...

Staff member
    So, just wondering, is this RP basically your own take on Dark Souls? I mean, massive, complex arena games, this huge, badass Emperor, "boss fights"...
    I take a lot of influence from stories that appeal to me, and I did get very deep into DarkSouls recently and got absolutely floored once I figured out the story...

But no, it is a combination of influences from most every story I have gotten into. DragonBallZ, DC Comics, Marvel, Dark Souls, Demons Souls, Metal Gear Rising, Inheritence, LotR, Lumeteran Chronicles, Percy Jackson, Dragon's Dogma, Fallout New Vegas, Maximum Ride, Alex Rider, Ranger's Apprentice, Hunger Games, Beyonders (I could go on all day). After experiencing so many stories, I wanted one of my own. So I developed Gidian, and then started to build a world around him. This story has a full world of its own that I am doing my best to adapt to the Elder Scrolls.

The most influence comes from music though. Music is practically my life's blood these days (although im no good at making it myself). Music is what i envisioned most of my ideas to.

Staff member
    In fact, the way I pictured it most times, the music would explain what was going on while characters exchanged soundless conversations and ambitious fights.

Skyrimosity

I'm kind of excited for this RP. I've never RP'ed a character like this one.

Staff member
    I'm going to be writing for Skadi as well as Gidian, so I too am RPing a new character... I find it hard to wrap my mind around RPing a female.

CapObvious

A Rotten Scroungeral
    Same here. I'm always working with characters that are all action. A cleric is going to be a nice change of pace. Especially with what she's hiding. :D

Skyrimosity

I'm going to be writing for Skadi as well as Gidian, so I too am RPing a new character... I find it hard to wrap my mind around RPing a female.

I've never RP'ed a character who is so aggressive. My average characters are "analyze and kill with precision" kind of guys IE "He saw the Falmer swing across its chest so Edwyn quickly countered with a stab into his ribs".

This ones more like "Belzebub saw his enemy prepare a strong strike. He swung his battleaxe quickly and it clinged against his armor. He brought it back around and, with all his muscle into the blow, dislodged the man's head from his neck."

Staff member
    Haha. Most of us are here, so are there any more questions/critiques/suggestions before I start preparing the IC?

Delusional

I don't have anything else. I'm ready to go.

Skyrimosity

I've never RP'ed a character who is so aggressive. My average characters are "analyze and kill with precision" kind of guys IE "He saw the Falmer swing across its chest so Edwyn quickly countered with a stab into his ribs".

This ones more like "Belzebub saw his enemy prepare a strong strike. He swung his battleaxe quickly and it clinged against his armor. He brought it back around and, with all his muscle into the blow, dislodged the man's head from his neck."

That's still too analytical. I'll get it down eventually

Haha. Most of us are here, so are there any more questions/critiques/suggestions before I start preparing the IC?

I'm good to go

CapObvious

A Rotten Scroungeral
    Same! Let's do this!

Staff member
    Sorry it took so long. I write longer posts on my laptop, and it was being an as*hat and refreshing every two minutes. I've still got a few things to edit in. What do you think? Any details I need to add to it storywise or pairwise?

Skyrimosity

Well, for Delusional, I believe its Alleras the "Sphinx" not "Phinx"

Staff member
    Sorry. My lap top is refreshing constantly and it made it hard to edit. I got the colors as close as I could on short notice... I couldn't find Cap's at all.

Staff member
    Or my laptop could be playing tricks on me.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts