Info The Corrupted Guardian Recruitment

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

CapObvious

A Rotten Scroungeral
    Arena would be my choice, since it's up to me.

Dradin

Tribunal Temple Acolyte
    Dont mean to be this guy, but am I in? I believe that I have gotten all yes's

Sqeagy

The Gentle Utensil
    Posting my character

Name: Ysyn Rolain

Race: Breton

Skills: One Handed, Archery, Smithing, Heavy Armor.

Appearance: Ysyn stands at a short 5"2. She has blonde hair and Blue eyes. Her Stalhrim gear leaves her sticking out like a sore thumb. When not in armor, Ysyn wears standard tavern clothes.

Personality: She is a kind but ruthless person who won't stop achieve her goals. Ysyn is very impatient, which is a weakness for anyone who hopes to be a blacksmith

Alignment: Neutral

Equipment: Learning the art of smithing all around Tamriel, Ysyn has perfected the skill. She has created her own weapons and armor out of Stalhrim, found only in Solstheim. After slaving over a forge for four days, she crafted her sword and bow which she named Starfang and Meteorite respectively. She was gifted an Obsidian shield from a friend in Skyrim.

Fighting Style: Ysyn prefers close combat more than anything else. She is skilled in archery, but views her bow as a "last resort" weapon.

Bio: Ysyn was born in White Haven, High Rock. Ysyn had a somewhat troubled past. When she was 10, her mother died and her dad, who was a drunk, was left to care for her. The father didn't want to waste any coin on anything but his booze, so he sold Ysyn to a man in their community. This man was the city's blacksmith, and had Ysyn become his apprentice. She grew fond of the man and the forge, gladly dfollowing his orders, and getting paid for it. The man kept telling her that she was still too young to actually use the forge, but Ysyn wouldn't. Over the course of three days, she snuck to the forge and made her first creation, an Iron sword. The blacksmith couldn't be anymore prouder.

Eight years later, the smith could see that Ysyn was bored staying in White Haven. She loved the forge, but despised making the same tools and trinket day after day. He encouraged her to leave High Rock and hone her skills as a blacksmith. Taking his advice Ysyn packed her things and left White Haven, taking with her the old iron sword and a wooden bow the smith had her.

Over the next 8 years, She traveled all over Tamriel, from Hammerfell to Skyrim. When she reached Windhelm, she heard rumors of a rare metal found only on Solstheim, an island that could be reached by boat. She bought passage to the island, and hired a guide to bring her to the metal. A week later, she found it. The metal they call Stalhrim. Using an old pickaxe the guide had brought, she mined enough of the ore to make herself a great set of armor and a bow, still holding onto her iron sword. On the journey back, Ysyn and the guide were attacked by bandits wanting the metal. Both she and the guide survived the attack, but during the fight one of the brutes had broke her precious iron sword. When the young Breton reached Raven Rock, she borrowed the town's forge to make her armor and bow. Sacrificing the metal left that was supposed to make a shield, she designed and created a new sword. She branded it Starfang, named for a sword made from a meteorite.

Ysyn would later find herself in Cyrodil, hoping to learn new smithing techniques. But shortly after arriving, she is pick pocketed, losing all of her money. This left her with no way out of the province. Hearing rumors of a place called the Arena, Ysyn heads there hoping to win money fighting so she can get out of the crime ridden palce she has found herself stuck in.

ImaBigassMoose

The most Majestik Møøse in all the Møøse Lands.
    Sylran Elsvir
    "There is no greater power than knowledge."
    Basic Information
    Name:
    Sylaran Elsvir
    Alias: The Pyromancer
    Birth Place: Morthal
    Birth Sign: The Shadow
    Origin/Race: Dark Elf
    Class: Pyromancer
    Laterality: Left Handed
    Sexuality: Straight
    Marital Status: Widowed
    Properties: A hut deep in the swamps of Morthal
    Affiliations: Assassin's Guild
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Afflictions: Slow gradual rot of the body, starting in the right arm, a curse afflicted on him as a boy. Magically suppressed.
    Religion: None
    Patron Deity: None
    Hobbies: Gaining knowledge and control of his magical abilities.
    Family: Deceased

Personality

Sylran is not a bad person. He doesn't actively disregard the rules for the sake of rebellion, but he is not afraid to do what he has to in order to accomplish his goals. He is also not afraid to stand up for what he believes is right. He is also not afraid to suffer for the good of others. He is highly intelligent and is always in the pursuit of new knowledge of magic, and has no qualms with breaking a few laws to obtain it, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone who doesn't deserve it.
    Positive Traits: Intelligent, Resourceful, Driven, Adaptive
    Negative Traits: Proud, Compulsive, Arrogant, Cynical
    Dislikes: Nords, Authority Figures, Bandits
    Fears: Dying without a purpose.
    Aspirations: To discover the ancient secrets of magic and the origin of magic in this world.
    Quirks: Can become very violent if he witnesses coercion or intimidation.
    Philosophy: Sylran is a highly intelligent individual. He believes knowledge is an individual's best weapon in this world, and highly respects intelligence in others.

Skills
    Master:
    Pyormancy:
    Pyromancy is Sylran's primary method of combat. He has always had a natural gift with pyromancy since birth and has mastered the art of adapting his fire in creative ways.

Expert:
    Alteration:
    Sylran also possesses a knack for Alteration, which he primarily uses to protect himself from physical/magical harm.
    Enchanting: The Soul Cairn has always been of great interest to Sylran, as he believes by discovering its secrets, he can greatly increase his power and knowledge. The Soul Cairn is deeply tied into enchanting, as human souls used to augment items are sent to the Soul Cairn. Because of this, he has researched enchanting at great length.
    Adept:
    Sneak:
    Sylran is very gifted in the art of making himself unseen. It has proven useful in keeping him hidden from potential enemies at night, and is an invaluable skill on the battlefield.
    Speech: While He may not be the most attractive man, or the most conventionally charismatic, Sylvan's unique variety of charisma proves useful in his pursuit of knowledge.

Appearance
    Height:
    1.9 M
    Weight: 80 Kg
    Build: Lanky
    Hair Length: Long, with bald patches.
    Hair Color: Midnight Black
    Facial Hair: none
    Eye Color: Crimson
    Scars: Burns all over his body, from when his mother tried to burn him alive him at birth.
    Armor: Crimson robes. In combat, these robes are known to become engulfed in a coat of flames.
    Weapons: His flames, which are with him always.

History/Biography
    Childhood:
    Sylran was born in the swamps of Morthal to aprostitute named Fadya. His mother, heavily intoxicated by Skooma, immediately tried to kill him, thinking he was a demon emerging from her body. Instead of burning to death, the flame engulfed him, like a cloak, and, while he was severely burned, was not killed. His mother died from the complications of birth. He was found by a guard shortly after, by his deceased mother, and nursed to health. The guardsmen did not especially care for him, as they were not fond of the Dunmer, and soon found himself working with a blacksmith, using his talents with pyromancy to help operate the forge. When he was old enough, he left the blacksmith to pursue more knowledge of the arcane arts. He was rejected by the College of Winterhold and began his search for knowledge on his own.
    Adult: As Sylran matured into adulthood, he had learned many secrets of magic indeed. He had become highly proficient at controlling fire, and had researched the secrets of the Soul Cairn extensively. This research led him to research Enchanting extensively, in order to better understand the link between soul gems and the Soul Cairn, believing potentially that he might be able to exploit this knowledge to find a way to enter the Soul Cairn without first dying.

WRITING SAMPLE (For use later in the story, potentially):
    Sylran giggled to himself as he admired his work. Five brand new corpses, freshly slaughtered. He walked over and caressed the face of the remaining survivor, belonging to a young boy of around eight years of age, although his exact age was hard to judge, as the malnourished look on his face made it impossible to tell for certain. He whispered to the boy in a shrill, manic voice, "Tell me little one, do you want to live?" The boy whimpered in fear as he managed to sputter out "Y-yes, mister, please don't kill me!" Sylran simply laughed in response, "But don't you want to be with your mommy and daddy?" The boy could no longer suppress his tears and his fear, and his voice cracked as he said "No mister, if I'm with them that means you'll kill me! I want to live!"

All of a sudden, Sylran's arms shot forward, his hands covering the boy's face. The boy shrieked in fear and pain as Sylran gauged his thumbs deep into the boy's eyes. He felt the boy go limp as the blood gushed from his eye sockets and drenched his body. He observed the results of his most recent murder and a demented smile played across his face. He giggled to himself, softly at first, but growing louder until he was letting out violent shrieks of manic laughter. He leaned over the boy's corpse and, with his serpent-like tongue tasted the blood on the boy's face. It was delicious.

Last edited:

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
    Staff member
    I will be able to pass judgement tomorrow when I am less tired

Staff member
    I apologize for the wait. I will give until this weekend for the voting, and then I'll decide based on who is present to vote and votes that have already been cast.... (none so far)

Skyrimosity

Well Moose, I believe that is the first CC ever written that has scared me. So take that for what you will. A few questions:

1. Why would your character have anything to do with our group?
    2. Wouldn't your character be literally able to kill any other prisoner at any given time?
    3. Who in the name of the Divines married this man! (does not necessarily require an answer)

ImaBigassMoose

He is an antagonistic party, my idea was, when he gets to the arena, nobody knows he's a necromancer, or how powerful he is, some guards just find him after he murdered a family and they tell him it's death or come to the arena, and, instead of resisting, he decides the arena would be great fun for him, being able to murder freely and be glorified for it. The idea is that eventually, some guard just makes some comment about him being a "freak" and he just goes ballistic, and murders the crap out of a bunch of stuff, providing the diversion needed for Gidian to stage his jailbreak. So while yes, he could kill a bunch of guards and escape at his leisure if he so chooses, he would rather stay in the arena and continue killing for fun with is bare hands. Who married him will be revealed later on. But the fact that he hates thugs and bullies especially is related. He wasn't always so batplops insane.

Staff member
    Well you could cause a diversion, and could cause havoc from the initial surprise, you would get put down. NO ONE escapes at their leisure. And while there is LOTS of plot potential with your character, the level of power you endow him with stands a good chance of taking the fun out of escaping. This character is a plot device more so than a character, at this point.

And while our front line fighters are really tough (Baroth, my namesake, Belzebub), reasonable no win situations still exist for us. Your character is said to be able to sack the prison and escape at his leisure.

Tone him down, and make him a character that would be long withstanding rather than an OP plot device that we use once to take away the challenge of escaping and move on. We'll get to OP levels like that later, because our characters are GROWING throughout the story.

ImaBigassMoose

Well he wouldn't sack the entire place but his army would wreak enough initial havok to distract the guards and for some people to get out, I guess since my guy is so derranged he could just want to stay and keep fighting and is eventually subdued, but not after the main party escapes...herma mora could help him escape maybe? He uses his book (a black book by the way) to talk to herma and find a way out? Idk if you have better ideas I'm open to then, because you're right I don't want to ruin the fun by starting too powerful.

ImaBigassMoose

Like I said I'm brand new to this and y'all might need to coach me a little on this kind of thing [emoji14]

Blackdoom59

BATMAN!
    I have to agree with Gidian on this one, Sylran seems overpowered. I always enjoyed reading about monstrously cruel characters. Before I go into detail about what you can do to tone him down and why he needs to be leveled down in the first place, let me say that so far you have successfully portrayed an insane sociopath in your writing sample, which really adds up to something when you ask us to count you in.

Now about Sylran - from the start of his backstory you made him incredibly powerful in more ways than you might have wanted to. Take a look at the stronger characters already in this rp, and ask yourself, how did they achieve their current status? Gidian's character is a man whom had to constantly work for money which required determination, and probably without his will he reached the top. Bazelbub is a naturally-talented orismer who trained to achieved his strength and honed his skill in battle over the course of his entire life. Baroth is the oldest character in the cast, and thus probably the wisest and most experienced.

Those guys are strong because of their experience in Tamriel, they aren't build around a trait gained from birth. Your character is a strong necromancer and is good at stealth. Imagine a fight in the arena, him with his book(or with a weapon he grabbed) against another combatant. Realistically speaking, he has nothing to revive and thus he's out of weapons and ways to fight, which means if the assailant has any training, your character has no chance of winning said fight. Simply afiliating him to Mora doesn't help him, you don't expect a daedric prince to burst out of the sky in the middle of the fight do you?

Your character is created to be a villain, which in itself doesn't fit in a story like this(a story with no villain and no main protagonist), in other roleplays your character would fit perfectly an antagonist. Think of Batman and The Joker. Batman is the most a human can achieve to become: the best fighter, a genius, rich, master at stealth etc. Joker is nothing compared to him and yet he gets the upper hand mainly because the plot demands it, and because he's full of surprises.

Sylran resembles Joker perfectly, thus he will fit rather well trying to create chaos during peace, chaos amidst chaos doesn't sound that interesting, does it? I'm not saying this is the wrong RP for Sylran to be in, I welcome diversity, but he needs some tweaks. Unless you do some tinkering with your character and tone him down a little, my vote is cast against letting you join.

EDIT: Catbug has my vote, it will be interesting to see how Ysin evolves in this RP.

ImaBigassMoose

I see what you're saying, my character is meant to be a formidable adversary not through physical strength but through cunning and his mastery of the dark arts. I really wasn't sure how to make him effective in 1 on 1 commbat, so i figured stealth and the ability to conjure weapons would be a skill that could help him have more of an edge. Thinking back, stealth still doesn't particularly help him in the Arena, where there's no real good way to hide, thus rendering the skill effectively useless. I didn't want to particularly give him skill with destruction magic, because I wanted his skill in necromancy to be his main defining trait. However, I could tone down his abilities with necromancy and give him a level of proficiency in fire magic (it would make sense with his background too, seeing as attempting to burn him to death was not successful). I could have him start out as joe shmoe pyromancer with a basic proficiency in necromancy, instead, and, during the course of the RP, he could meet Herma and then be driven insane instead. I could change his backstory so his mother was just cracked out on skooma and tried to kill him out of panic, not because he was a demon, as I realize that does not particularly fit in well either. What I'm saying is, he could initially be, like others in the roleplay, a slave forced into the arena after comitting a fairly minor, but, after the breakout, events progress him to something more similar to the level he is now. The "chaos in the midst of chaos" factor would be diminished, and, following the breakout, when he parted ways with the group to pursue other goals, becomes corrupted by Herma's knowledge of the dark arts. With those changes made, would he more adequately meet your requirements to join the group?

Last edited:

Staff member
    There will be opportunities for stealth during later stages of the arena, and of course always helps behind the scenes. However, yes, stealth is pretty useless when you're in an open, pitched battle.

You also need to nail down your characters motivations. Why he would leave the group and why he would come back. I can understand leaving to gain power and such from Mora, but I don't understand what ties him to the group, unless you assume that the group is going to become of particular importance later, which, without spoilers, I suppose isn't too much of a stretch, or because he developed a relationship with them, etc. Be thinking about it.

He is a solid character, he just needs room to grow and develop, and actually be a character, rather than so much riding on him being a device/easy instrument towards advancing the plot.

ImaBigassMoose

I gotcha, I'll work on that :p I'm not so sure he would really come back to the group so much as their paths would entertwine again later down the road, potentially the group could bring him back from Herma's madness and he could rejoin the group.

Daryl Dixon

Absentee
    Don't wait on my vote, I agree to Catbug and Moose looks like a good writer. I agree with the criticisms already made, so really I just abstain from voting regarding moose. However I hope he/she joins when the character is sorted out, would be a nice creative addition.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts