OOC The Channels II [18+]

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

EpicVakarian

Calibration-Master General
    The year is 2016.
    11 years since the Channels were discovered.
    Channels: ordinary people with extraordinary powers.
    The first Channel was discovered in Chicago, IL, in April 2005. A sixteen-year-old young boy,
    barely out of high school. He had the power to manipulate rock and stone.
    He abused this power, to the point of causing an earthquake and tearing down most of Chicago's skyline.
    He was eventually captured, and taken to a prison, where they worked out a way to cancel out his powers. He was imprisoned there, with no way to escape.
    After this event, more powers started to crop up. The public called the extraordinary people "Channels", but the governments of Earth classed them as terrorists; they weren't willing to undergo another disaster like Chicago. The official name granted to them was "Hunters", in order to make the Channels seem more menacing to average humans.
    Thus a new age began; Channels were discovered all over the world; one in every fifty million children born was a Channel, each with unique powers. These powers were discovered to remain dormant until the age of 10; after that age, most Channels discovered their powers. If a person got to 20 and hadn't discovered any powers, then they were likely not to have any, unless they were a very rare case.
    With the realisation that Channels would just keep coming, the governments forged the Daynes Treaty, named for James Daynes, who proposed the idea; the Daynes Treaty stated that all the governments of the world must act together in this instance. Each country would have their own Special Defence Department, an SDD. The best of the best would be selected to fill roles in the SDDs; hackers, soldiers, leaders, anyone that could help deal with the "Hunters".
    Many Channels have managed to escape the prisons set up for them using the power-cancelling technique, living in peace beside humans in secret. But many have also decided to take vengeance on humanity; with two variants taking form. Some merely wanted to mutate every single human to have powers, and others purely wanted the complete destruction of the human race, so that the Channels could start from scratch.
    Around the year 2011, another variant of Channel was discovered. Some people had no powers of their own, but could temporarily "learn" weakened versions of powers through touching the original Channel. A classification system was introduced; Primary Channels were ones that had their own powers, and Secondary Channels could leech weakened powers for a short time, and so were less of an issue.
    In any case, the Channels are global. You are one of them; you may choose one of three goals. Either live peacefully alongside humans, free of secrets.
    Mutate them all so they know your pain.
    Or simply destroy them all.
    The choice is yours, but will you make the right one?

SUMMARY
    This is, quite simply, a reboot of my old RP The Channels, which was all about people with extraordinary abilities, and the discrimination they faced at the hands of the human race, along with how each character chose to deal with that discrimination. Some put up with it, some hid their powers, some simply killed anyone who discriminated against them.
    In terms of places in this RP, I'm intending to have fewer places than the original RP. Too many cooks, and all that. Everyone who had a place in the original RP is to be reserved a slot, should they wish to take that place up, however, I would very much like to recruit some new members, writers who weren't involved (and in some cases, weren't even registered on the site when the original RP was going). However, for those new members, I will expect a certain level of skill in writing; if you have written in an RP with me before, refer me to the name of the RP and I will check for myself. If you haven't, please include a sample of writing in your CC, or a link to a personal fanfiction, if you prefer. If your writing is up to scratch, and your character is well-made, you're in; if not, you won't be given a spot.
    RULES
    1. Respect each other; we're here to have fun, not to argue amongst ourselves.
    2. Language is okay, to a certain extent. This is an 18+ RP, but excessive use of foul/racist words will not be accepted.
    3. Your Channel may be of any origin you like; American, British, Japanese, anything. However, remember that all our Channels must come together at some point. You should have the ability to travel overseas, either using powers or simply getting on a plane.
    4. This RP is 18+, so be aware that there may well be violence, language, and sexual themes, along with anything else mature that might crop up. If you can't handle these, don't bother applying.
    5. Please, no cliche superpowers like superstrength and flight. Have interesting powers that have weaknesses.
    6. Once your CC is submitted, I'll survey it and tell you if anything needs changing. The character itself should never need changing, but powers might; each Channel can have up to two powers, and a third if it relates closely to one of your others. For instance, one character may have water powers alongside his other power; in that case cryokinesis (ice powers) are also allowed, due to the close relation. I will tell you whether you need different powers; certain combinations might result in OP, death-bringer characters. And we all know, that OP characters are no fun; have a weakness. Be willing to be beaten once in a while. Hopefully that should result in a friendly, realistic RP.
    CC TEMPLATE
    This is just an idea; you may use this template, or use a different one; as long as it maintains the following details:
    Name:
    Illnesses: (if any)
    Dialogue Colour:
    Appearance:
    Personality:
    Equipment/clothing:
    Details of powers: (what do they allow you to do? Can your power over metal objects allow you to fly in any way, etc)
    Bio:
    And a general note: keep an eye on CCs that have already gone up. There will be permalinks below to each CC. I don't want any duplicate powers. My CC will be up shortly; keep an eye on the powers other people have claimed, and don't use them. This is up for discussion; if someone else claimed a power you like, you can talk to them about how you could edit that power for yourself; however, I don't want this to take up the majority of powers. I will also post a list of powers below; for ideas, if anyone cannot think of a power.
    Thank you all for reading, and I hope we all have a good time with this!

CAST
    EpicVakarian as Maxine Elizabeth McKenzie (orange dialogue)
    Simus as Alice Croshaw (blue dialogue)
    Daryl Dixon as Michael/Levi (light blue dialogue) and Bryce Montarello (white dialogue)
    OnlyThePie as Hal Fengry (red dialogue)
    Wolfbane as Cass (green dialogue)
    Kaelbu as Gwendolyn Lee Wiser (purple dialogue)
    CapObvious as Brom Robasdon (cream dialogue)
    Blitzz as Nishimura Ryuichi (pink dialogue)

Last edited:

EpicVakarian

BASIC
    NAME Maxine Elizabeth MacKenzie
    NICKNAME Max, uses Lizzie as a name online among people she distrusts.
    RACE Scottish
    GENDER Female
    AGE 24
    HOMETOWN Glasgow, Scotland
    POWERS Pyrokinesis, pyroimmunity, omnilingual. Her pyrokinesis is not limited to pre-existing fire; she can create her own fire to manipulate and use as a weapon. She is also immune to all fire and heat, not just the fire she creates.
    LATERALITY Right-handed
    SEXUALITY Heterosexual
    RELATIONSHIP STATUS Single
    HEALTH Healthy
    AFFLICTIONS None
    PROPERTY A reasonably-sized flat in Fort Worth, TX
    ALIGNMENT Chaotic good - wants to do the right thing but often goes about it in the wrong way.
    RELIGION Atheist
    DIALOGUE COLOUR Orange

APPEARANCE
    HAIR Dyed red, a little past shoulder-length. Naturally a light auburn, last Max saw.
    SKIN Very pale, due to her Scottish heritage
    HEIGHT 5'2"
    WEIGHT 110lbs
    BUILD Short and skinny, quite slender but not very curvaceous.
    EYES Hazel
    maxresdefault.jpg

PERSONALITY
    POSITIVE TRAITS Very friendly, intelligent, usually kind, honest, very driven and ambitious.
    NEGATIVE TRAITS Stubborn, sometimes rude or offensive, can be horrible to people she dislikes. Can be brutally honest at times.
    LIKES Music, being with friends, practising with her powers.
    DISLIKES Selfish people, people who can't think for themselves, people who brag about their life, sadists.
    QUIRKS Has a very fiery personality, doesn't like being underestimated. Should someone get on the wrong side of her temper, they will quickly regret it. She does not hesitate to let people know what she thinks, whether she likes them or not. Will not back down from a fight, and when her temper is flared, her hands will start to smoulder, making her even more dangerous. A bit of a punk-rock sort of girl.
    ASPIRATIONS To make a life for herself, but also to prove to the world that Channels are not all monsters.

CLOTHES
    Max will usually wear either short-sleeved or sleeveless tops when not at work, to prevent herself from accidentally setting herself alight. She also mostly wears skinny jeans, and black sneakers. At work she wears a blue polo shirt and black trousers, and boots with a slight heel to them. Her power keeps her warm at all times, so she rarely wears a jacket or jumper; when she does, it's mainly to fit in. Hates wearing formal heels.

POWER DETAILS
    PYROKINESIS Max can create and manipulate fire. This is an excellent weapon, and often is intimidating enough to ward off potential attackers. She can manipulate the fire to such an extent that she can change the temperature of the flame, and is able to melt most substances.
    However, she cannot lower temperatures. Once she has heated an object, it must cool down naturally.
    OMNILINGUAL Max's ability to instantaneously learn languages proves especially useful when in foreign countries, as she automatically becomes a translator. She does not have the ability to remember languages, however; after any extended period of time not using the language, she will forget the language. The moment she hears the language spoken again, however, she will learn the language again and be able to speak it fluently.

BIOGRAPHY
    CHILDHOOD Max was raised in a middle-class family in the suburbs of Glasgow. Her father worked in the shipyards, and her mother was a college teacher. She was the youngest of three; the eldest was her brother, Alfie, seven years older than Max, and the middle child was her sister Emily, who was two years older than Max. She was very happy with her family; when she went to school, her bigger brother was her knight in shining armour, and her sister was her best friend. Max was just as clever as her mother and siblings, achieving top marks in her class throughout primary school.

EARLY TEENS When Max moved up to secondary school aged 11, she fit in better than most, making new friends quickly alongside her old primary school friends. However, she wanted to stand out more, to be different, so she got her mother to agree to dye her hair a vibrant shade of red. She has kept that hair colour ever since. She also began to play guitar, and learnt to sing. Her teacher quickly discovered she had a natural talent, and worked to push Max past her musical limits.

LATE TEENS Max began her GCSEs at 15, excelling the whole time through and ending with not a single grade below an A. Continuing on to A-Levels at the secondary school's sixth form, she took maths, physics, chemistry and economics. Two years later, aged 18, she finished sixth form, again with all As and A*s. She went on to study mechanical engineering at the University of Glasgow, earning a meagre wage on top of her student loan by playing gigs at local pubs and bars, as well as busking on her free days. She became a local celebrity, known by just about everyone in the area, known for her voice and her skill with the guitar.

ADULTHOOD Aged 19, Max discovered her powers. She became depressed for a long time, trying to come to terms with her discovery. In the end, on her 20th birthday, her friends and parents pulled together to show Max that she was still loved, and that being a Channel changed nothing.
    It helped, a lot, and Max became her old, fiery self once more. She completed her second year at uni, taking the third year out to spend a year on placement at Lockheed Martin, in Fort Worth, TX. She loved every minute of it, and, at the age of 22, upon completion of her final, third year (passing her course with top marks, yet again), she took the huge life step to move to Texas and work at Lockheed full time, as an engineer.
    She has now lived in America for two years, and has no intention of moving back home just yet. She has found an online forum for Channels to talk to each other on, and has been trying to help younger Channels to come to terms with their powers, much the way her family and friends helped her. She is also continuing to play guitar, though she is not playing gigs any more; with work, she doesn't have time. However, she still hasn't put away the idea of following music as a career path. However much she loves stretching her mind by working at Lockheed's headquarters, she never quite gets the feeling she used to get playing to crowds back home.

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
    I'm considering this, EV.. I just might have a guy for this..

OnlyThePie

This seems interesting, and I like the subject, so I'll put up one. Epic, you're in "Rise of the Draugr" with me, and thats the thread on this forum i've done the most RP in so far, since I'm pretty new. (I was tempted to create a radical religious fanatic who believed the Channels were harbingers of a new deity, but I liked this persona better)

Name: Hal Fengry
    Race: Canadian
    Powers: Crystalization, Energy Transferal (Mild emotional manipulation)
    Illnesses: none
    Dialogue Colour: Red
    Appearance: Short shock of blonde hair, short full facial beard, oddly dark blue eyes. 5' 11" tall, approx 165 lbs. Muscles are toned, but not extraordinarily large or defined. Mildly tanned.
    McDfehu.jpg

Positive Traits: Friendly, Outgoing, Enjoys Humor (but isn't very good at it), Intelligent
    Negative Traits: Overly Trusting, Talkative bordering on obnoxious, Rudely Clever
    Dislikes: Bullies/Criminals/Villians/Monsters(Horrible people, not actual monsters), Flying, Conceited Personalities
    Equipment/clothing: Generally a t-shirt with a cheap aviator's jacket (despite his aversion to flying, he thinks it looks cool), jeans or khakis.
    Details of powers: Hal is capable of forming orange-tinted steel-hard crystals along his body. He can do anything from covering himself in a faint almost hair-like stubble to a full set of armor. He cannot form these crystals on anything he isn't in direct contact with, unless one of his crystals is touching it (IE. if he fires a crystal into a tree, he can expand said crystal to cover the tree). Hal is capable of transferring energy along the crystals, though it can only be channeled out as light or electrical signal. This entails that if he is in contact with a person, he can influence their emotions to tilt one direction or another, but does not have control over the person. He must keep one crystal active on his body to continue growing them, or he must focus for at least a half hour to grow a completely new one.
    Bio: Raised in St. Johns, Newfoundland, Canada, Hal was always a friendly kid. Secretly discovering his abilities at the age of 15, Hal made every effort to keep them hidden from the world, not even his parents knew his secret. The nature of his Energy Transferal abilities added to his already charismatic personality, allowing him to slip his talents past most officials undiscovered. A vast interest in history caused him to choose this course to follow at the American University of Seattle. He intended to earn an American PhD and become a professor of History. When his girlfriend fell off a ship on a short cruise from Seattle to Vancouver, Hal was forced to reveal his powers. His girlfriend rejected him, and he was forced to go on the run. He is currently hidden in Copenhagen, Denmark on a favor from an old friend who harbors him.
    Alignment/Goals: Hal wishes to live in peace, and follow his dream of teaching others. He thinks the best solution to the problem is to find a region and delegate it as a Channel-Only-Zone, so that they wont bother the normal humans, and the normal humans wont bother them. He will do anything to defend his people though, and will not shy from the violence that may come.

Last edited:

EpicVakarian

Nice character, Pie. I've seen enough of your writing in RotD to know you're a good writer, so you're in. Props too for not doing the generic 6'7 200lb brute with muscles the size of his own head that a lot of people tend to do as new writers :p
    One of the plot points in the original thread was a forum, Channel Surfing, designed for Channels to chat with others of their kind. Since your character is in a relatively closed-off area (there's not like to be many other people placing their characters in or nearby Denmark), it may be a good idea for Hal to be a member of that site, and discuss his ideas with other Channels, including at least Simus' character, Dixon's character and my own. That way, you've got some interaction with other members of the thread; just an idea for you to bear in mind :) I'll add you to the cast list.

Kaelbu

I'm making a CC, but could you maybe tell me the other two characters' powers? I don't want to copy on accident. :)

EpicVakarian

Simus is taking dark matter manipulation, dark energy manipulation and foresight. Dixon is taking atmokinesis (think Storm from X-Men) and telekinesis for the one character, Michael/Levi, and I believe technokinesis (mastery of technology) for his second character, which he's creating a CC for soon.

Dabiene Caristiana

Your friendly neighborhood weirdo
    This looks interesting. May keep an eye on it for reading.

Blitzz

A Friendly Brit
    I wonder if I have my old CC for this lying around in my files anywhere... I should have signed up first time around. I'll try to get a CC up, if you'll have me.

Blitzz

A Friendly Brit
    Excellent. One deceptively charming, evil son of a Japanese businessman coming up. If I can find the old CC that is. If not I may come up with something entirely different.

EpicVakarian

I'm going for air and sound manipulation, so different frequencies of sound and turning air into almost like daggers if that makes sense.
    My character from the original thread was an aerokinetic, Wolf, if you want to go back and have a look at how she used the power.

Wolfbane

Why change the past when you can own this day?
    Name: Cass
    Hometown: Dallas, Texas
    Current place of residence: Los Angeles, California
    Powers: Aerokinesis, Sound manipulation
    Afflictions:Former addict, Insomnia, migraines
    Health: Decent
    Dialogue color: Green
    Alignment: Chaotic good.

PERSONALITY:

The good: Smart, fiercely loyal and protective over loved ones, Kind
    The bad: Introverted, can let emotions control him, decides who to spare and who to kill
    Likes: Music, people like him, animals, reading, silence outside of music
    Dislikes: Most people, stupidity, arrogance, ignorance, narrow-mindedness.

Looks:
    Michiel-Huisman.jpg

Clothing: Black trench coat, black combat pants or dark blue jeans, black combat boots, a black or white T-shirt, black fingerless gloves. What can he say? He loves black.

History:
    Not much is known about Cass; He was left by his real parents, no known family. He was raised by a couple of traveling "nomads". Unlike most children, he was exposed to the raw and pure side of the world, different people from different walks of life, and some of those people were special compared to the others. Cass was raised to respect and be kind to the earth and all of it's creatures, human and animal. His home was ever changing, only living in one place for a couple of years. His "parents" would always live in a decent home, after all they aren't vagabonds. He didn't have a traditional family, but more like a big commune of mentors, children like him, and free spirits. Some would call these people free loaders and maybe even freaks, but these people were family. He was named Cass, for castaway.

Cass was a shy and introverted child. Often studying over talking with friends and play during recess. He flew so under the radar that he wasn't picked on as much as others. While kids were at recess, he was in the library where he could read as much as he wants and escape into his quiet solace. He did pick up playing music, also escaping into that after school. High school was better to where people accepted his lone wolf look feel, and found friends and like minded people. He even found people who played music, viewed it as he did, which he enjoyed. After all, music was a huge part of him.Little did he know how much noise would affect him.

One day when he was playing his bass, as he did most days, he began to feel extremely dizzy, vision was as if he was staring through a beer bottle, cars and horns were so loud that he thought that his head would split open. These attacks went on, getting worse, then fading away after he was 21. Once it stopped, he was called to meet a close friend that told him that he might have an answer. Once they met, the man told Cass a story about these people that had "powers" and how they were elusive. The rumors were viewed like Big foot or Aliens; just a myth and a cute story. The man told Cass that he had signs, and to hone his skill, on his own time, own pace, and use his own nuances. The joke of him being able to control sound was not lost on him. He guessed it helped him pick music, which also brought out vibration control. It was almost like a conduit for his powers. Unfortunately, he turned to the needle to try to numb his powers when they got too bad. That, he only tells his friends that he would kill for.

That's what he did, and did it well. He soon knew his power, most of what he could do, how to use it, and decided to become a wandering "angel" of sorts. A shadow or a story, nothing else. As for his powers, he likes to hide them like an ace up his sleeve.

Last edited:

EpicVakarian

Nice, Wolf. Just minor details; the picture is broken, and Simus already has the dark blue dialogue :p Could you please take a different colour?

Mercutio

Assistant Regional Manager
    *Monsters2312 doesn't have the capacity to do a rp so he'll just spectate this one*

Last edited:

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts