OOC The Blades in the Night {Working Title}

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

Aerin

IOK's Token Brit
    - A Taste of What Is To Come -
    “Please Jax, we can work something out I’m sure. Maybe, maybe if I…”
    The figure raised a hand to silence the breton before he continued his panicked rambling. “No, I’m afraid we cannot. You have too much to lose and I have a business to run. A business that you will no longer be a part of.” Renard felt a tight grip around his wrist, and despite how much he tried to pull away Jax did not relinquish his hold.​
    “My old partner would have taken a finger for this sort of thing, maybe two even. One for the false intel, a second for your deception and betrayal. Maybe a third if he was having a bad day. Do you think I should do the same? Blood for blood they say.” Renard caught sight of the gleam of cold metal in the corner of his vision, his mouth opening and closing as he tried to control his body’s reaction. As the blade slowly descended he felt warmth spread through his breeches, the ice cold tip of the dagger coming to a halt on the back of his hand.​
    “I am not Vitus though am I? I am a different creature entirely. You should have remembered that when my former associates visited you.” The blade moved quickly, a small line of red along the back of his knuckles. Tiny beads of crimson liquid welled up along the minuscule wound, completely harmless even as Renard winced at the sting of the cut.​
    Jax let go of the breton’s wrist and stepped back, and for a moment he seemed to slip away completely into the shadows. “We shall not see each other again Renard.”
    With that parting comment he was gone, and Renard was left on shaking legs, clutching at his hand, wondering perhaps if it was over. Thought of relocating his small family somewhere quieter flashed through his mind. Somewhere safe where Lelaine could grow up quietly. No more of this assassination business, it was too much of a risk…​
    As Jax slipped away and left the idiot breton to his delusions, he carefully lifted the blade of his dagger to the moonlight, his eyes narrowing at the greenish sheen that graced the blade’s edge. Wiping away the poison on a rag tucked into his belt he worked quietly, polishing the dagger until it glittered, clean of any substances. The poison itself was a nasty concoction, and one of the imperial’s favourites. The effects were similar to those resulting from a bad wound, the poison festering the cut till the victim was killed by his own bad blood. Slow, painful, messy, but best of all, practically untraceable. People died from improperly treated cuts all the time, why would anyone think to question another?​
    Sighing to himself Jax twirled the blade in the air before carefully sheathing it away and looking up to the sky. From the moon he could wager he had enough time to make his way to the rendezvous point he had set for the newest recruit. It was time to see if they had what it took.​
    - The Plotline -

The trouble these days, with thieves and assassins, is that somewhere along the line they lost sight of their own nature. Showmanship and arrogance has no place in a world of shadows and treachery. Of course, guilds such as the Dark Brotherhood and Riften's flagging Thieves Guild worked this out too late. With the Brotherhood essentially wiped out, and the thieves guild down on it's luck, one group of professionals has emerged.

Once led by the mysterious Vitus, this group earned a reputation for discretion. While others may like to boast of their achievements, this particular guild of eliminators and acquirers prefer if their involvement went unnoticed. This group of elite and highly trained individuals operates covertly and anonymously, acquiring jobs through a network of associates, varying from cart drivers, to tavern owners, to travelling bards and sellwords.

However, despite their growing success there are looming threats on the horizon. Maven Black-Briar and her thieves guild, the infamous Morag Tong of Morrowind, and a group of radical former members.

- The History of the Company -
    Our founder, Vitus, originally allied himself with the Riften Thieves Guild. However, Vitus developed a taste for murder and eventually left to set his own course as a freelance hand-for-hire. Using his contacts from the Thieves Guild, Vitus managed to recruit a few highly talented individuals to help set up the company, eventually settling in Crystal Drift Cave in the Rift. Things continued for a while, the company building up it's strength, until there was a schism. Some company members despised the secrecy of their profession and sought to spread fear, similar to the ways of the Dark Brotherhood, even going so far as to only take on assassination contracts. Vitus and few others disagreed, and eventually this led to a conflict, in which Vitus was killed by a poisoned blade. Leaving the company in the hands of his second-in-command, the company is weaker than it ever was before. Seeking to exact revenge and eradicate their old accomplices, the company now focusses on building its strength, hoping to one day avenge their founder Vitus.​

- How This Will Work (Hopefully!) -
    This RP is not intended to be the typical "Find The Thing" fetch-quest style RP. Instead, we're hoping to focus on the dynamic relationships between company members, encouraging side stories and adventures, occasionally coming together as a whole group for "main questline" type escapades. So really, quite similar to the structure of the faction questlines in game.
    On top of that we're hoping for the setting to be a living thing. Contacts, allies and enemies will not be set in stone. During main and side stories we hope to develop the company's network, losing and gaining known associates etc, with the development of the story.​
    The company HQ is in the South-Eastern corner of Skyrim, however that doesn't mean the jobs and contracts have to be as well! Jobs and contracts can take place anywhere within Skyrim...or perhaps even Cyrodiil or Morrowind. As the writer you're welcome to explore other areas within Tamriel. The only reason we've set up HQ in Skyrim is that it's the area most people are familiar with through the games.​
    If you are interested in getting involved we simply ask that you provide a relevant character card, and can write posts of a decent length. If at any point you are unable to continue posting, due to real life commitments or simply a lack of interest in continuing with us, then please let us know here in the OOC thread and we can give your character a worthy exit, or simply keep them safe at HQ until your return.​
    Here's hoping this will be a successful RP, with an engaging storyline and a friendly atmosphere!​
    - Current Members -
    AS88​
    Aerin​
    The OP3RaT0R​
    Delusional​
    Daryl Dixon​
    Ponder​

Ponder

International Man of Mystery
    Hey, so this looks really cool! Is this a private RP, or are you looking for new members?

If you are, I'd love to take part. I doubt I'd have the time to participate full time, but it'd be fun to RP one of the contacts for one of the side stories, or maybe a smaller character within the main story. Would that be possible, or would you rather have people writing only main characters?

Aerin

IOK's Token Brit
    Ponder! You're always welcome, don't worry about that. At the moment it's semi-open. So, we have a few people in mind who we would like to invite, but anyone else who is confident in their writing abilities is more than welcome to apply.

I'm unsure as to how fast this will move, at the moment we are still in recruiting mode and we're applying the finishing touches to the story itself, so watch this space perhaps. If you'd like to appear as a contact that would be wonderful, it would make interactions outside the company a lot richer and rewarding I think.

I think I speak for everyone when I say we'd be happy to have you involved no matter what the size of the role, so you know...whatever you're happy doing we can work with.

Ponder

Thanks! I really appreciate it.

Normally I'd be vying for a spot here, but if I ever hope to get our industrial RP off the ground I'll need to maintain focus on that. Perhaps I could participate at some point as a contact, and if all goes well and I find more time, my character could merge into the main group.

But I'm getting ahead of myself here. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this, and if the opportunity for writing a contact comes up let me know! :D

Aerin

IOK's Token Brit
    Yes, our industrial RP is still there! I think if you want to start as a contact and potentially join up that would work well enough and shouldn't be too difficult to achieve, if at all.

Well watch this space, I'll be sure to let you know of any developments :)

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
    My, my, Aerin, as always you're onto something here. I just might have to throw out a CC, but I have this to ask; is this company strictly for assassination, or is theft involved? I see that Vitus started off as a thief, but it's unclear to me if the company is involved in thievery.

AS88

Staff member
    My, my, Aerin, as always you're onto something here. I just might have to throw out a CC, but I have this to ask; is this company strictly for assassination, or is theft involved? I see that Vitus started off as a thief, but it's unclear to me if the company is involved in thievery.

The company takes jobs of both kinds, friend - acquisition or elimination, your choice. :)

AS88

Staff member
    "Some company members despised the secrecy of their profession and sought to spread fear, similar to the ways of the Dark Brotherhood, even going so far as to only take on assassination contracts."

A thief character would be great, honestly. With some of the members going off in the hope of only taking assassination contracts, it'd make sense if there were plenty of thieves. That's not to say that a character would be restricted to one line of work or the other, though. My character, for example, will be capable of both (although more adept at espionage and eradication rather than thieving).

Aerin

IOK's Token Brit
    Yes, just to clarify, the general contacts often involve discreet assassinations or theft. Glad to see you're interested!

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
    So as to not clutter the thread, is it fine if I just link my CC for Aradriel here? Also, I've left his entry into the company open.

Ponder

I'm not sure I'll have the time for anything between NB, DoE and AtS (aren't acronyms fun?), especially with fall quarter coming 'round the bend, but this just looks so exciting.

What I've got to ask is whether the company solely provides outright thievery and assassination services, or are they willing to delve into the worlds of political and economic intrigue? More specifically, will they take jobs that involve character assassination, inciting dissent, sparking emotions, working the rumor mill, and other, more insidious goals?

Because that could be really interesting.

Aerin

IOK's Token Brit
    That's fine Smooth, I'll check it out in a bit.

As for your queries Ponder, the hope is that people will be creative and come up with their own "odd job" contracts, which could encompass any of those things.

However, while that is simply the surface goal, I'm hoping for a deep running motive for the group. This main questline will eventually lead to a point where the guild could consider taking over and increasing their hold. This would involve political intrigue and dastardly doings, as the company has a few contacts who are nobles, as well as the fact that if they hope to wipe out the riften thieves guild, then they would have to deal with Maven Black-Briar.

What we have at the moment is simply a foundation after all. This should be a fully cooperative endeavour, so if you want you think certain aspects or job styles should be involved then we can do our best to work it into what we already have.

Aerin

IOK's Token Brit
    I hadn't established that, but I would assume that it would be officially contract work, but if people want to steal for their own gains then by all means go ahead.

Of course, Jax would never turn down donations to the company, or bribes for that matter. This is a company of cads, so whose to say corruption within the company doesn't occur.

Ponder

That sounds great.

Because if at all possible, I'd like to have a character more focused on manipulating the flow of opinion and emotion, rather than blatant stealing or outright assassination. This, of course, might deviate somewhat from the kinds of characters you had in mind though, so I'd be happy to figure something entirely different out.

Aerin

IOK's Token Brit
    Well perhaps your character could be perhaps not part of the company directly. I know you said before how you might not be able to post easily, so if your character was a very close contact or associate to aided the company by way of manipulation etc, then that might give you the chance to write the character you want whilst also giving you a more flexible time frame for your posts.

Delusional

Connoisseur of Hallucinations
    This is an incredible idea. Would you guys mind if I tried my luck at making a CC for this?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts