Spoiler The Bear of Skyrim

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
JARL ROLFF WHAAAAT

:eek:

Yeah. Jarl Rolff "We ought to dig a big hole, throw all them dark elves and Argonians in it" Stone-Fist.

Sjadbek is understandably revolted at the idea. "He's going to ruin all Bjaknir's, Brunwulf's, and my work in improving Nord-Dunmer relations...!"

Docta Corvina

Bulba, you and all your ingenious twists. :p I've got a few of my own planned of course, but I feel like I need to throw in a few more to keep people on their toes to the extent you do!

Skarvald

Kendov – Warrior
“Legate, sir,” he spoke haltingly, as though trying to catch his breath, “it’s bedlam out there. The Emperor is lying dead in the streets, as is General Halcius of the Second Legion.”

Carius breathed heavily as potential culprits came to mind. The Thalmor? The Dark Brotherhood? The Alik’r of Hammerfell? The Argonian state? Some pathetic bowman who’d thought his taxes were too high? A daedric cult? Julianos forbid it’s the f---ing Mythic Dawn again; we had enough of them two hundred years ago.

Sjadbek’s mind was also reeling. Emperors didn’t just drop dead. All it meant was more questions and more puzzles—something was out there that wanted the Emperor dead—and the odds were it wanted the Dragonborn dead too.

IC: *Skarvald's jaw drops in utter shock, at a true loss for words.* "By the Nine, this can't be! Talos save us all."

OOC: Good job Sjadbek! I'm wondering who's to blame for the Emperor's murder...

bulbaquil

Chapter 18: Unbound
1st of Rain’s Hand, 4E 208 | 1:00 p.m. | Lake Rumare, South of the Imperial City
Sjadbek’s Imprisonment, Day 1124

This had to be the most outlandish job the Riften Thieves Guild had ever done, not to mention the furthest from home. But it was not that far from the home of the Guild Master. It was not that far from Cheydinhal. But it was neither the distance nor the unusuality of the job that was the most plaguing and time-consuming; it was the sheer amount of money that Penelope thought would be needed to bribe the individuals who needed to be bribed for this.

It had, in fact, been necessary to go on an incredibly risky heist just to amass the money—stealing from Maven Black-Briar’s own vaults. She’d hardly notice the 200,000 septims’ worth of platinum bullion filched from her Bank of Whiterun account—how often did the Jarl of Riften visit Whiterun anyway? Fortunately, in this case, Skirling’s racism would, sadly, work for them: the Jarl of Whiterun would no doubt use it as an excuse to crack down on, really, all non-Nords. At least Redguards and Bretons (besides Belethor, who Skirling had despised for over a decade and continued to humiliate incessantly) still retained rights—the brunt of the jarl’s hatred was on the elves and Cyrodilics.

Surprisingly, the Alik’r mercenaries the Guild was to bribe lowered their price when they knew what the goal was—their leader, Kematu, seemed to know Sjadbek from somewhere and was happy to take the risk for a far smaller sum. The pirate ship was the bigger expenditure, and while they could sail in—and were sailing in—getting out would likely be more efficacious over land, rather than having to sail southward through a rather narrow channel flanked by Imperial naval ships.

The plan was, in theory, straightforward, but the operative question was how simple it was in practice. Ideally the night would be dark and cloudy, rainy but not stormy—and the strong south wind, unusually warm temperatures, and thick cloud deck billowing in the northwest sky were good signs for such a night. With any luck, there would be fog around and before dawn, which would help reduce visibility and give them a valuable edge on any pursuing Imperial soldiers.

And there would be Imperial soldiers in pursuit. In fact, the Guild Master had decided not to let herself or any of her family go on this mission—they felt they might someday need the option of revisiting Cheydinhal. But the Hammerfell sailors and mercenaries had no particular ties to any Cyrodilic municipality, nor did Hadvar or Burdnar or Thrynn or any of the other eleven Nordic stalwarts.

Carius Serenus had not failed his friends, and though he had little knowledge of the plan, was prepared to flee to Skyrim at the first sign of inconvenience or harassment (which would, no doubt, be precipitated by Rodavius Randilus if by anyone). Tonight, Sjadbek would walk.

---
1st of Rain’s Hand, 4E 208 | 11:38 p.m. | Imperial City Prison
Sjadbek’s Imprisonment, Day 1124

Of course Randilus would want to “pay him a visit,” a term which nearly always meant an additional set of bumps and bruises on his body, and necessitating another round of healing. The mental strain caused by the frequent expenditure of magic vitality was, in many ways, just as bad as the physical damage—magecraft was no free lunch.

Fatigued from healing, Sjadbek stopped the spell after only about five minutes, hardly enough time to repair the damage, and opened his mouth in shock upon realizing that a bruise he’d yet to focus on was disappearing right before his eyes. It took him another several seconds to realize that the effulgent glow that manifested itself during the healing spell had yet to vanish, though he had stopped healing. Instead, it had simply changed locations—not coming from his hand, but from the ground behind him.

Sjadbek turned and looked. The glow was coming from a familiar item, one he’d worn for many a year. An amulet of Stendarr. But how did it get here, and why was it glowing? And, more to the point, the guards seemed not to even notice the artifact was there.

Tenderly, he picked up and put on the amulet. It felt warm against his skin, and its glow intensified. He almost felt it was beckoning him to speak, and thus tentatively asked: “Stendarr?”

“Yes, my child?” came a booming voice from the amulet. There shouldn’t have been a reply. It was, after all, just an amulet. The guards outside the cell did not react, even though it should have been impossible for them to have not heard the sound.

“What do you ask of me?”

“You must once more save Skyrim, not from dragons, not from daedra, but from a threat far more insidious.”

“The Falmer.”

“But not only the Falmer. Those who would seek refuge in Skyrim have found themselves attacked by those who have shown their true stripes.”

Sjadbek wasn’t completely sure, but Stendarr seemed to be referring to the Dunmer under Rolff’s regime and such. “But how am I to do that from in here?”

Stendarr laughed. “Oh, of course I do not expect you to accomplish your missions from within prison walls. You’ll find your salvation is close at hand.”

“How close?”

“About ten feet.”

The response puzzled him until he noticed a slight gleam coming from the back-right corner, behind the fetid waste bucket. In the glorious brilliance of Stendarr’s manifestation through the amulet, it had remained unnoticed by either Sjadbek or his legion of guards. The Dragonborn moved to pick it up—it was a key.

“You must prepare yourself,” Stendarr implored. “As soon as you release yourself from your bindings or exit your cell, you will have until the count of ten, then be returned to the flow of Time, and your status will no doubt draw the ire of the guards.”

No kidding, Sjadbek thought. “Let’s hope luck is on my side, then.”

“You have no need of luck,” replied Stendarr in playful chastisement. “You have my blessing. This amulet a gift from me, that you might fulfill your remaining destinies.”

“Understood.” Sjadbek knelt and bowed his head, then stood back up. “I am ready.” I’ll have until the count of ten as soon as I release myself from the bindings… I should release myself from the collar before the shackles, then. Standing next to the cell door, he tentatively tested the key to see if it would at least fit in that (he didn’t unlock the door, not yet) before releasing himself from the collar.

For the first time in years, Sjadbek Shouted. “Zun—haal viik!” he screamed at the guards, whose weapons clattered to the floor. Sjadbek made careful note of the positions of the arms—two maces and two cutlasses. He’d need weapons fast, and he’d need to deal with the guards. There only appeared to be the four guarding his cell down here. I wonder if…

Decision made, Sjadbek released himself from the shackles, and then made to unlock the cell door. One…. Picking up the two cutlasses, one in each hand, Sjadbek made to sever the guards’ heads before time resumed. It took him all the way until “nine,” but he was by now a rather accomplished swordsman, with Stendarr’s blessing guiding him.

Sjadbek was now returned to the flow of Time, and though all four of these guards were now dead it was only a matter of time before someone else came down or the other prisoners in the cellblock talked (though they seldom did). Judging by the guards’ races, it was between 9 p.m. and midnight, but he had no idea how close it was to the latter.

The guards wore heavy armor, but heavy armor might be better than light armor at this juncture—if he could manage to put on the whole set of the taller Imperial (the guard whose body structure matched his own best) before someone else came down, he might be able to masquerade as a guard and walk out, provided he didn’t have to talk to anybody in his thick Falkreath accent. He’d managed helmet, greaves, and boots fully on, and the cuirass on but not fully secured, before the game was up. The fit, at any rate, was poor.

“PRISONER ESCAPING!” boomed the midnight-to-noon shift replacement of the now-deceased Breton guard, who evidently would have gone off-duty in just a few minutes. Two more guards entered the chamber. It was midnight, the start of a new day at what was somewhere between the 31st of First Seed and the 3rd of Rain’s Hand, and unless he could find a way out of here fast, Sjadbek would die today. His throat was still a bit groggy—he could not Shout again yet, and there would be more guards to come.

Sjadbek prepared himself for Sovngarde, his thoughts turning to the homeland he’d never see again, when the guards suddenly fell into a chaotic frenzy. Though supposedly partners in law enforcement, the three guards turned their maces on each other, battling as though bitter enemies. The Dragonborn did not know why he’d been spared the effect—whether it was the protective influence of Stendarr from the amulet or simply that he’d been slightly out of the spell’s range—but he was grateful all the same.

He knew the route out of the prison by his guided visits to Carius Serenus, the most recent of which had occurred late in Morning Star. What he didn’t know was what had happened to his proper equipment—was it in the evidence chests, and if so, did the key unlock those? Even if it did, how would he find the time to put his armor on in peace? Or maybe Legate Serenus had acquired it somehow, or maybe it was still in the Cheydinhal inn? Ah, well. His armor could wait—but he wasn’t sure how Bjaknir would take to him having lost the scaled helm that had been their family heirloom for, with Bakdur’s arrival, four generations now.

The most important thing now was getting out of Cyrodiil, and definitely the Imperial Prison. As he clanked his way out of the Bastion, guards continued to fight each other, sometimes aiming an arrow or a sword at him that he had to block (though in this case it was more due to the frenzy rather than the fact that he was escaping).

Rain splattered on his “borrowed” armor as Sjadbek arrived at the outside walls of the prison, the exterior gate still open to allow the changing of the prison guard to take place—a changing of the guard that appeared to be fraught mostly with the incoming midnight-to-noon guards killing (and being killed by) the guards already on duty.

The catwalk bridge would, if he chose to take it, lead him into the market district, but the last thing he wanted was to go deeper into the Imperial City. No, all that would do would be to ensure he would be in a large, bustling, difficult-to-navigate city at whatever time it was that the frenzy spell wore off. Sjadbek instead hopped over the ledge of the bridge—and promptly lost his footing on the wet grass, tumbling down the berm. His helmet (well, the guard’s helmet, really), already too loose, bounced off of him as he rolled. As his position stabilized, he felt himself fading out of consciousness, with what appeared to be a platoon of forty or fifty Imperial soldiers approaching, and very un-frenzied.

Well, that didn’t work, Sjadbek thought, and then blacked out.

---

Sometime in Rain’s Hand, 4E 208 | Time and Location Unknown

Sjadbek blinked. Images came into focus around him, among the most striking of which was a series of multicolored shapes that the Dragonborn recognized as stained-glass windows. A man in priestly robes stood before an altar, behind which stood a shrine with a familiar horn emblem: a shrine to Stendarr. Was he in a chapel of Stendarr? And if so, which one?

The colors were so vivid—Sjadbek stood transfixed and mesmerized. Guards in an unfamiliar uniform, most of whom had an Imperial, Redguard, or Orcish appearance, suddenly rushed in, screaming something about “it has happened again,” and then leaving as frenetically as they had arrived.

Sjadbek didn’t know what had compelled him to do it, but he found himself heading towards the door of the chapel, opening it—revealing a hellish scene. A city burning—red flames licking the houses and buildings, a blood-red, lightning-cracked sky. It reminded him eerily of the day of Alduin’s attack on Helgen. Bjaknir, Burdnar, and Skelja, the latter carrying an infant Bakdur, rushed to him and bade him “stop them before it’s too late.”

He continued to stand outside of the temple, people running by him in a panicked blur of shirts and breeches. Most of them spoke with Imperial accents—he was somewhere in Cyrodiil, he figured, but where? The ominous sky did not help matters. As he stared toward the exit of the city, the direction most of the people were running, a terrifying edifice planted itself in front of the city gate—an edifice that was itself, if Sjadbek understood it correctly, a gate of a different and far more deadly kind.

A portal to Oblivion, to the deadly daedric realms particularly of Mehrunes Dagon, the second-worst of the Daedric princes, behind only Molag Bal.

But that was impossible, the Nord’s brain protested. The Oblivion gates had been shut through the sacrifice of the Septim bloodline (and with it the Empire) and the efforts of the legendary champion Brantus Scalenius two hundred and eight years ago, at the start of the Fourth Era. They could not reopen without the Dragonfires remaining unlit. But now they were unlit again, weren’t they? There was no Titus Mede III—the previous Emperor had died without issue, and they were once again in a dangerous interregnum.

The flow of crowd traffic instinctively reversed as a monstrous beast emerged from the impossible portal—a massive, three-headed dog (or something along the lines of a dog), with one head bearing the likeness of a Thalmor, another that of a Falmer, and another that of one of the more vile types of dremora. All three mouths were equipped with the fangs of a large snake, and began to chomp down on the slower citizens of whatever city this was. Guards and private citizens alike tried in vain to wage battle against this demonic foe.

“Death to Stendarr!” proclaimed the dremora-face, as the Thalmor-face announced “Talos is but man,” and the Falmer-face declared “Kill! Rip! Maim!” and proceeded to do just that. Seemingly incapable of taking any sort of action but to watch, Sjadbek stared in horror as the beast approached Bjaknir, Burdnar, and Skelja, and prepared its heads to devour them, one apiece.

No… not like this… He had to do something, anything at all….

---
4th of Rain’s Hand, 4E 208 | 4:19 a.m. | Fort Alessia, eighteen miles south of the Imperial City, Cyrodiil

“FUS RO DAH!” Sjadbek screamed, bolting upright. Sweat poured down his face and the back of his neck, a function no doubt of the surrealistic and yet deeply disturbing nightmare he’d just have. He clutched desperately at his amulet of Stendarr with icy hands, reassuring himself that it was a dream.

The surroundings were lit only by dim candlelight, and he had scarcely managed to figure that out before he was spoken to. “Sleep well, Sjad?”

The voice was gruff but familiar, belonging to someone he thought he’d probably never see again, at least not for a very long time yet. “Burdnar?” Sjadbek asked by way of confirmation.

“Yeah, it’s me. You’re free and safe. We were worried you weren’t going to make it, you’ve been out for two days already.”

“I’ve been out for two full days?” Sjadbek asked, bewildered.

“It was just after midnight on the second when we picked you up. It’s now… couple hours to dawn on the fourth. Good thing it wasn’t twenty-six days later. What’s four times nine?”

“Excuse me?” Had he heard that last question right?

“What’s four times nine?” Burdnar repeated.

“Thirty-six, but what does that have to do with anything?”

“I was told to ask to make sure you didn’t have any lingering head damage,” he responded. “Nasty tumble you must have taken.”

Sjadbek lay his head back down on the surprisingly fluffy pillow. “If I’d slept well, would I wake up Shouting?”

“No, I guess not.”

“Vaermina has decided to plague my sleep.” At least, he hoped it was just a Vaerminan nightmare. Talos forbid it was a premonition; Tamriel didn’t need another Oblivion crisis and he didn’t need his friends and family torn asunder. “Where are we, Burd?”

“Fort Alessia,” he answered.

This location meant nothing to Sjadbek. “And where is that in relation to something I might know?”

“South of the Imperial City.”

“And why are we going south?”

“Sjad, where do you think they’ll be looking for you?” Burdnar asked. “Mostly on the roads north to Bruma, east to Cheydinhal, and north from Cheydinhal to the Skyrim border. They think they know full well where you’ll be headed.”

“Right.”

“Are you feeling up to travel? If so, we can break camp. We’re still uncomfortably close to the Imperial City. I’d personally prefer to set sail for Taneth as soon as possible.”

“Taneth? Isn’t that in Hammerfell?”

“Aye, lad,” came a second voice, this one with a strong Riften brogue, that sounded also rather familiar. Brynjolf? What in Oblivion—never mind. “A group of pirates. They seemed to know you, and my Guild prefers to work with people it’s dealt with before. The pay was very good—would you believe my wife decided to rob Maven Black-Briar to fund this little excursion?”

“By Talos, Penelope actually stole from—”

“Oh, but we also had to go on a little raid in Cheydinhal, let’s not forget that,” Brynjolf added, lighting a torch. The illumination revealed an opened chest with a glass sword and scaled armor. The helm of the armor had the notches in the same place that his own family helm did—of course, because it was the same thing. “Thought you might want some gear that better suits you than that bucket of tin.”

“My armor,” Sjadbek muttered in relief. The scales of steel over the leather were a welcome reminder of home, a place he was desperate to return to. “I was wondering what had happened to it.”

“Get it on so we can head out,” Burdnar replied. “We’ve got a raid on Southpoint in Valenwood coming up, and I’d bet you’d love the chance to rough up a few more Thalmor in their own backyard.”

Indeed he would like that chance. “Let’s go,” Sjadbek affirmed as he suited up in his old armor. The Dragonborn was back.

---
5th of Mid-Year, 4E 208 | 9:10 p.m. | Taneth, Hammerfell

All told, the “we” Burdnar had been referring to comprised a pirate crew of about a hundred stalwarts, mostly Redguards—Alik’r warriors led by Kematu, who had happily repaid Sjadbek’s previous assistance in bringing “Saadia” to justice—a handful of Bretons, Bosmer, and Nords in the pirate crew, plus a platoon of about thirty Nords associated with either Windhelm (such as Burdnar) or the Thieves Guild (such as Brynjolf). This latter contingent especially had been happy to welcome Sjadbek.

The journey out of Cyrodiil was long, arduous, and treacherous. Sjadbek had nearly been re-captured when they docked in Bravil to restock provisions, but the locals were evidently no great fans of official Imperial authority—the count was corrupt and easily bribed by the pilfered Black-Briar gold, and he only spent the night in the Bravil jail rather than being shipped back to the Imperial City.

After that had come the raid on Southpoint, which Sjadbek had happily taken part in and considered the high point of the trip, and not just because it had happened on his birthday. The Thalmor needed to be taken down a peg, and if it took pirate raids to do it, then so be it. Most of the deceased were Bosmer rather than Altmer—this was, of course, Valenwood—but the carving the Redguards had left in one of their cherished trees made sure they wouldn’t easily forget it: Here on this the 29th day of Rains Hand 4E 208 was unleashed Talos the Ninth Divine on the heathens of the Aldmeri Dominion in the form of a brigand raid.

Of course, they had to get into a naval battle with a pursuing ship, but naval battles in a pre-gunpowder age were generally going to be determined, to an extent, by which ship contained the better navigators and mariners. Redguards (and Nords, for that matter) were well-renowned as sailors, and though Bosmer were far superior at archery it didn’t matter if the ship they were chasing was receding from them faster than they could catch up.

Finally, after a harrowing additional month of further travel, including a storm, constant dangerous proximity to Aldmeri Dominion territory, and a port call in Anvil (Sjadbek and Burdnar had remained aboard the ship—and below decks—every minute of that visit), the voyage concluded, and the vessel docked in Taneth.

“It’s nice to be in a country where I don’t have to worry about being killed but by assassins, bandits, and wildlife,” Sjadbek commented as he and Kematu sat down in a tavern near the port.

“Aye, welcome to Hammerfell,” Kematu laughed. “I’ll send Berihmu and Vaata with you.”

“What for?”

“A tribe of twenty-six Nords (they’d lost seven in the Valenwood raid) wandering the plains of eastern Hammerfell… may be mistaken for bandits when trying to enter Skaven or Elinhir along the way. I’d wager you would prefer that not happen. Besides, they have a mission in Elinhir anyway. They will accompany you there, and I take it you’ll not have much trouble between Elinhir and the Skyrim border.”

“Ah. Your hospitality’s much appreciated, Kematu. Here’s to peace between our nations,” Sjadbek toasted, then drank, the Stros M’Kai rum tickling his throat.

“Indeed. We may have had some quarrels in the past, but far better that we fight against the Thalmor than that they take us both over as we fight against each other.”

The prospect was ludicrous anyway, both Sjadbek and Kematu felt as they continued their beverages.

---
19th of Mid-Year, 4E 208 | 2:35 p.m. | Three hundred feet west of the Hammerfell–Skyrim Border

Balrik of Falkreath, one of the guards posted to duty at the Hammerfell border at the time, was—like many of the guards save the newer—a veteran of Skyrim’s bloody civil war. He’d taken part in the battle of Riften, and knew full well what Sjadbek looked like.

He just hadn’t seen him with such a huge smile on his face. The Dragonborn approached him and declared, in an accent Balrik was all too familiar with, “I am Sjadbek of Helgen and Windhelm, slayer of Alduin and—regrettably—not of the Dark Brotherhood, at least not yet. May we enter?”

“Just do one thing for me,” Balrik answered. “Shout for me.”

The Voice provided an excellent verification of identity, Sjadbek thought, as he disarmed Burdnar with a single word and handed him back the fallen weapon.

“It’s a pleasure, Dragonborn.”

Sjadbek walked through the gates from Hammerfell, and knelt and kissed the ground beneath him. “I’m back,” he muttered. “Stendarr be praised, I’m finally back.” So what if his final destination was Windhelm, still another seven or eight days away? He was in Skyrim. He could almost taste the cold, freshly brewed mead that would be waiting for him in Falkreath’s tavern when he checked in there.

But he did need to get back to Windhelm—not just to be reunited with his family, but also to take care of the Falmer business Legate Serenus had told him about. Stendarr had granted him a pardon (even if the Imperial regent hadn’t) for a reason, and it wasn’t just to come home.

Vulera

I just started reading this story and I am really pleased with how good the writing is. Very nice story so far as I take some time to read it.

Skarvald

Kendov – Warrior
Loved the turn in events of Sjadbek's escape! Stendarr's Mercy has found him, and for that Skarvald is happy. Also, I wonder what will happen knowing that the Emperor is dead...

bulbaquil

Well, Stendarr rewards his faithful. What next indeed? :)

That'll probably have to wait until I finish Oblivion, unfortunately. :p It has kind of taken over the rest of my time.

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
This is good stuff. Can't wait until the next chapter. Killing Rolaf was not cool but Winterhold going nuclear made up for it.

bulbaquil

Chapter 19: As Ulfric Challenged Torygg
28th of Mid-Year, 4E 208 | 6:15 p.m. | Windhelm
Rolff Stone-Fist, ruler of all Eastmarch, surveyed his domain. He had the right to it, he thought. Bjaknir had not challenged it yet, and he was the only person who wasn’t dead or in prison who had as much of a right to the hold as he did. Theoretically, Rolff could have imprisoned Bjaknir—come up with some sort of false pretenses as was the case with many of the Dunmer who now slaved away in the quarries behind the city or various other unpleasantries—but it would do him no good.

First, he’d have to get a guard willing to actually arrest Bjaknir, and there really weren’t any—the brother of the Dragonborn, a war hero in his own right, was nigh untouchable. The Stormblades were held in very high regard among the Nords (and even the non-Nords) of Windhelm—it just wasn’t worth it. The past two and a half months or thereabouts had driven Rolff half mad: he had to pretend, publicly, to be thrilled that Sjadbek was free, while simultaneously being terrified by the knowledge of what, exactly, Sjadbek would do when he got back.

More to the point, Sjadbek had a more legitimate claim to the throne than Rolff did, and would be less likely to restrain his aggression—while he, like Bjaknir, had a wife and child to think about, Bjaknir had already proven himself a capable guardian thereof (or would already have, in Sjadbek’s estimation)—and with Sjadbek back, Bjaknir might himself very well challenge the Jarl of Windhelm in lieu of the Dragonborn.

“Milord,” proclaimed Frodnar excitedly (though not particularly enamored of the Jarl’s required courtesy title), by now a scrappy-looking seventeen-year-old scout-skirmisher, “our scouts report an entourage approaching, led by—”

“An entourage, Frodnar? Please tell me it’s of Falmer or Khajiit or other subhumans so that we can kill them.”

“No, it’s Nords, a couple Bretons and a couple Redguards, about two dozen of them, and Sjadbek is leading them. I heard him Shout.”

Rolff fell silent for a moment. “How long ago was this?”

“About half an hour, sir.”

“How far away?”

“Maybe a mile and a half, sir.”

That meant they would be at the gate within mere minutes at the most. “Bid the gate guard seal the gate. Now.”

“Sir? You want me to keep out—”

“Have the gate sealed or it’s fifteen lashes!” Rolff ordered. Bewildered, Frodnar scampered out of the Palace of the Kings, ostensibly to comply with the order.

In actuality, he was on his way to the tavern, with no intent to adhere to Jarl Rolff’s absurd request. This early in the evening (could it even be called evening yet, with nearly two hours to sunset?), Candlehearth Hall was not yet bustling, but the bard—Miletta, a lovely recent Bards College graduate whom Frodnar found quite attractive, was present and accounted for. Frodnar waited for her to finish playing and singing the song she was already in the midst of, tipped her a few septims—the Skyrim mint had kept the name; Tiber Septim, otherwise known as Talos, was after all a Nord hero—and made his request.

“Would you please play ‘The Dragonborn Comes’?”

“I certainly can, Frodnar,” she replied, strumming her lute. “Our hero, our hero, claims a warrior’s heart… I tell you, I tell you the Dragonborn comes.

She continued the song, drawing it out over numerous verses, and building it to a crescendo. “From the dank and the wash, comes our hero quite bold—believe, believe, the Dragonborn comes!

“And he comes thirsty, at that,” said a scraggly but very happy voice from the door. Frodnar, Miletta, Elda, and everyone else in the tavern turned to see Sjadbek in the doorway, a huge grin on his helmeted face. “Pint, please?”

---
28th of Mid-Year, 4E 208 | 7:45 p.m. | Hjerim, Windhelm

It was almost time for bed, Bakdur realized, disappointedly. Like many five-year-olds, he enjoyed being awake more than being asleep. Sleep brought with it various concerns, like darkness, bedbugs, and the potential of evil Thalmor lurking under his bed. Fortunately, Uncle Bjaknir happily took care of the evil Thalmor under the bed.

Uncle Bjaknir had also recently been saying something about Daddy being back, and was currently just outside the house speaking to someone in hushed tones. The official explanation Bakdur had been given, carefully calculated to avoid any intimation that his father was a “bad man” simply because the Empire had seen fit to throw him in prison for some reason, was that he was off in the Summerset Isles killing Thalmor. Through some miracle—presumably one of Stendarr—the cover-story meme had spread fast enough through the Windhelm populace that, by the time Bakdur was old enough to start making friends and playing with the other children in town, the fact that Sjadbek was actually rotting in the Imperial Prison was a fact brought up only in secret, and typically only in official Stormcloak discussions.

The door to Hjerim opened and Bjaknir re-entered. “Bakdur, your dad’s home,” he declared, just before Sjadbek entered and was promptly accosted by a forty-eight-pound behemoth that hardly remembered him.

“Daddy!” proclaimed Bakdur excitedly. “Mommy and Uncle Bjaknir told me you were off killing Thalmor! Did you get all of them?”

“Not all of them,” Sjadbek replied, Bjaknir having briefed him on the cover story. “Couldn’t kill them all—none would be left for you to come back and kill later when you’re bigger.”

Bakdur looked disappointed, but quickly bounced back into effusive, childlike exuberance. “All right. I probably need to get a lot bigger to take on Thalmor. But I want to someday. And I want mead.”

“You want mead?” Sjadbek repeated, grinning.

“Mommy said when you got back, I could drink mead!”

“Hah, we’ll get you some tomorrow, but it’s just about time for you to go to bed, isn’t it?”

Again, Bakdur’s face showed disappointment as he turned to prepare for bed, though tempered by the excitement of getting to drink mead for the first time.

Sjadbek,” Skelja intoned, greatly relieved, as she pulled the Dragonborn into a hug. “Stendarr’s mercy, it’s so good to see you again. Much of Windhelm cheered when they heard of your escape.”

“Stendarr’s mercy indeed,” replied Sjadbek, knowing just how literal that statement was. “Never would have gotten out if he hadn’t given me a couple presents. I will say eastern Hammerfell is nice this time of year—if a bit warm.”

“I did hear some men from Hammerfell were helping you out. Talos be with them.” Winking, she added, “I take it you’ll want some entertainment tonight?”

“Not tonight,” Sjadbek replied, “but I could go for a decent dinner. It’s been ages since I’ve had something more substantial than stale bread, turnips, and poor cuts of rat or badger meat. Besides,” he added, “if Rolff has really declared himself Jarl of Windhelm… I have something I need to take care of.”

---

1st of Sun’s Height, 4E 208 | 8:05 a.m. | Palace of the Kings, Windhelm

That something was, of course, to challenge Rolff’s right to the throne. It was something he felt had to be done, and the foolish ruler would no doubt be too proud to decline his challenge—as though it was even an option. Torygg hadn’t declined Ulfric’s, after all.

But Sjadbek had held off for a couple of days, mostly to reacquaint himself with people he thought he’d never see again, pray to Stendarr and Talos for guidance and wisdom (not to mention thank the former for bringing him back home), and of course provide Bakdur with mead. By the first day of Sun’s Height, the new month, he was ready.

Barring the Dunmer population, which of course hated Jarl Rolff Stone-Fist with a passion of a thousand suns, a reasonably large percentage of the population of Windhelm—maybe about thirty to forty percent—supported him as ruler; most of the others at least accepted—or at least tolerated—his rule, however reluctantly. Rolff was known for making rash, impulsive decisions. Much like Rodavius Randilus, actually—maybe the two were somehow related.

Still, Windhelm seemed considerably bleaker than when he had last left it, and his suspicions as well as Bjaknir’s comments strongly hinted at Rolff’s responsibility. As the remaining living heir of the city’s throne according to Ulfric’s will, it fell to Sjadbek to deal with what for all intents and purposes was a usurper.

He stormed into the Palace of the Kings, a menacing expression on his face. As his eyes alighted on the man, looking just about as mockingly regal as Siddgeir had those many years ago when he still ruled Falkreath Hold, he shouted, booming, “Rolff Stone-Fist!”

Rolff’s response was nonchalant and almost bored-sounding, as though he were dealing with a sycophantic supplicant begging for a reprieve from a particular tax or something of that nature. “Yes, what do you want?”

“I hereby challenge you for the Jarlship of Eastmarch, in the same way that Ulfric challenged Torygg.”

“Why?” Rolff spat. “So you can give the gray-skins candy and toys instead of the boot up their collective rears they need?”

“It’s none of your business what I plan to do with the dark elves, or the Argonians—or, for that matter, the Nords,” Sjadbek replied. “Ulfric wanted either me or your brother Galmar to take up the mantle as Jarl of Eastmarch. Galmar has died. I have not. It’s not a matter of pride, Rolff; I still think of myself as a butcher from Helgen. It’s a matter of doing what’s best for the hold and for Skyrim. Again, I challene you as Ulfric challenged Torygg. To avoid any… complications… that might arise, I will refrain from Shouting in the course of the battle.”

“Fine!” Rolff responded. “I accept your challenge. See you in the Arena at noon today.”

---
1st of Sun’s Height, 4E 208 | 12:00 p.m. | The Pit, Windhelm

Windhelm’s arena, colloquially and far better known as “The Pit,” had been de facto closed for four decades after 158, when Jarl Paldir, one of Windhelm’s more Imperial-sympathetic jarls and the predecessor to Hamveir Stormcloak, Ulfric’s father, decided it was “too barbaric” and terminated its use. Ulfric, being (obviously) of a more traditional Nordic mindset and not being entirely squeaky-clean at Markarth, had reopened the Pit in 204, but it was under Rolff’s rule that the Pit had become truly fearsome.

Even now, the rotting, stinking corpses of deceased prisoners, the vast majority of them Dunmer and Argonians, lined the bloodworks as Sjadbek descended to wage battle against Windhelm’s resident racist-in-chief. The winding, menacing corridors surrounded him, the ghosts of prisoner-gladiators past and—now—present echoing as his bootsteps resounded on the cold stone.

The dark halls drenched with dried blood gave way to excited crowds and brilliant sunlight as Sjadbek stepped out into the arena proper, only to find himself facing… a Falmer.

Really, Rolff?” he shouted in disgruntled anger as he quickly dispatched of the insidious beast. “Fight me yourself!”

“It was already there!” came the bellow of the self-proclaimed jarl as he flew out from the other entrance, wielding a glaive in both hands. Someone wants my head sliced off, I see, Sjadbek thought as Rolff lunged, thrusting the blade downward. Sjadbek dodged, and made to return the strike while Rolff tried to pull himself back to a full stand. His armor took the brunt of the blow, much to Sjadbek’s chagrin.

“Bull—” Sjadbek began, followed immediately by an expletive starting with S. “If I weren’t about to kill you,” he said as Rolff attempted to parry a blow and received a bash in his helmeted head with the Dragonborn’s shield, “I’d bet you every septim I have and every septim I could borrow from lenders that you put that Falmer there to try to wear me down beforehand. You should have put ten, maybe then—”

A blow to his shield arm temporarily disrupted the flow of the conversation, but Sjadbek recovered and continued. “Maybe then it would have been a fairer fight.”

“I’ll remember that next time after I’ve killed you!” Rolff roared as he moved his shield to block a strike.

“Bah,” Sjadbek retorted. “Tell that to the hundreds of Dunmer and Argonians you killed—”

“You talk to me about the gray-skins and lizards, O Mighty Stormcloak?” Rolff inquired as he reared back for another strike. “You supported a regime built by men like me!”

“I support a regime built on the ousting of an empire whose overbearing tendencies were outweighing its benefits,” Sjadbek responded, parrying the blow and returning with one of his own. “That was a state already in existence when Ulfric took over, and he had bigger things to deal with at the time, like taking back Skyrim. What you’re doing, Rolff,” he appended, “is trying to undo two years of my work trying to help out the ‘gray-skins and lizards,’ as you call them.”

“You don’t even know what you’re doing!” Rolff protested.

“Yeah, I do,” Sjadbek retorted, moving his sword back in preparation for a stabbing motion. “I’m getting you off the throne.

The sword punctured an already-damaged part of Rolff’s armor and slid into bare skin. Blood spilled from Rolff’s chest, spewing in sporadic gushes interspersed with nothing—evidently he had punctured either the heart itself, or one of the major veins or arteries that led directly to or from it. “Funny,” Sjadbek stated as his own heart slowed down, the battle drawing to its conclusion. “Didn’t know you even had a heart.”

Dazed, bleeding, and tired from the battle, the Dragonborn slowly limped his way back to the palace, slumping in the extraordinarily comfortable throne of Ysgramor. Great, so I’m Jarl of Windhelm, he thought as Bjaknir and Burdnar rushed in to… do something, maybe situate him right. What in Oblivion am I supposed to do now?

---

10th of Last Seed, 4E 208 | 10:10 a.m. | Thalmor Headquarters, Alinor, Summerset Isles

It was evident, from the billowing clouds to the northeast over Valenwood, that the rainy season would shortly return to Alinor, crown jewel of elven civilization. Not that the calendar wouldn’t have given it away; it was, after all, the tenth of Last Seed, and the second rainy season of the year lasted from roughly the fifteenth of Last Seed to the fifteenth of the hilariously misnamed month of Frostfall.

You would think, mused Ondolemar, that after two hundred years of shedding off the Imperial yoke, we’d have shed the Imperial calendar, but apparently our highest operatives have decided there are more important things to do. Of prime importance was what to do with Sjadbek—Jarl Sjadbek now, of all things. The Nord was rather the opposite of a friend to the Thalmor, and as such they had watched the development of his escape from the Imperial Prison and return to Skyrim with alarmed interest.

“I suppose,” he began as the nine other Thalmor in his party assembled, “you already know the nature and purpose of this meeting.”

“Yes,” declared a perky, short (by Altmer standards) elf named Baelil. “That pesky Nord from Windhelm.”

“Indeed. Although know it’s a pesky Jarl of Windhelm. Of course the locals would have welcomed him onto the throne with open arms. Unfortunately, this creates two problems for us.”

“Two?” inquired another of the Thalmor, Halimur, fairly round-faced and rotund in body.

“First, it is likely they will hold the Moot and make him king. Doing so would mean he would have the power and right to bring the full brunt of Skyrim’s forces against us.”

“You don’t think he’d pre-emptively strike here?”

“Never underestimate Nordic brashness, Ularven,” Ondolemar chided. “Especialy since this is the Dragonborn we’re talking about. The previous Dragonborns were the Septim line—he probably thinks he has a mandate to rule, and the first order of business would be to eliminate any… competitors to that front.”

“Seems a bit barbaric,” Baelil muttered.

“He is a barbarian.”

“But doesn’t he worship Stendarr, the god of mercy?”

“Yes, and no,” Ondolemar responded, causing some of the less well-read Thalmor to scratch their heads in confusion. “He worships someone who he claims is Stendarr. In reality, it’s more likely he is worshipping the Nordic god Stuhn. Stuhn is the god of ransom, or in other words the god of ‘maybe taking a few prisoners instead of killing everybody isn’t such a bad idea after all.’ The Nords equate him with Stendarr, but Stuhn is far less merciful than the real Stendarr.”

“What should we do then?” Ularven asked. “I hear tell Elenwen wants us to invade Skyrim immediately.”

“That is a bad idea,” intoned Saltir, the most military-minded of all the Thalmor in the room (and who very much looked the part). “As much as I hate to admit it, the Nords are powerful, insurgent-minded… and we would be fighting them on their own terrain in their own territory. Sjadbek alone would account for numerous deaths, and the Nords breed far faster than we do.”

“Exactly,” affirmed Ondolemar. “A military strike on Skyrim would be futile—we would have better luck with Cyrodiil. That doesn’t mean that we will simply leave Skyrim alone, however.”

“What are you proposing?”

“I propose we return to salience an enemy our new Jarl of Windhelm once believed vanished and consigned to the depths of Oblivion.” Ondolemar grinned as he pulled out a napkin embroidered with a familiar symbol. “Let’s send a message to Markarth—see how he likes dealing with a reborn Dark Brotherhood, shall we?”

bulbaquil

It's time for me to officially admit it: "Bear of Skyrim" is on hiatus.

I don't know for how long. Blame the hecticness of the holiday season, the possibility that I might move reasonably soon and need to make arrangements for that, and the simple fact that I have been distracted by other projects. :)

Sorry :oops: <3 :Dovahkiin:

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
I fully understand, seeing as I've been in the same boat lately. <3

Ralof, however, would like to smack you in the face with a mammoth steak.

Blackdoom59

BATMAN!

You're welcome.

About to start reading this...

Also, I wouldn't mind if you added Buffington as a character. ;)

Make sure he is a kind (although he can snap and go crazy and evil sometimes, but this is a rare occurance), sarcastic Daedra-Worshiping loner who likes to go by Solknight.

Dradin

Tribunal Temple Acolyte
I wanted to say that I read your story and it has partially inspired me to write my own. Thanks!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts