Terrorist attacks in Brussels, Belgium. 22 March 2016

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
After the terrorist attacks in Paris in November 2015, ISIS claimed responsibility for the bombings in Brussels; the Belgian capitol and seating of the European Union Parliament.

I do realize there are way more bombings in Middle Eastern countries, why do I decide to make a thread about this? This discussion catched fire after the attacks in Paris. The Dutch Prime-Minister said this today: "They don't just attack this city, they attack our way of life" Meaning the Western world.

It might be morally unfair that this gets more news in the Western world but it is a logical thing. Imagine: A death in your own family feels worse than a death in a family you're not a part of. Does that make one death more important than the other? It are both 1 death? No, but it feels worse when it's your family.

This attack is comparable to an attack to Washington DC for the United States. Brussels is the capitol of the European Union. It shows that ISIS has taken another step against the Western world, as the EU is a big part of it.

The first bombing was in the morning (local time). 2 terrorists detonated their belts shortly after each other in the departure hall of the Brussels' airport. Sometime later, bombings were reported in a metro station near the EU parliament building.

The latest news I heard, is that there has been found a third un-detonated bomb belt in the departure hall along with a Kalashnikov.

The attacks might be linked to the Paris attacks in November, as one of the main suspects; Salah Abdeslam was captured last Friday, also in Brussels. It might have been a retaliation move of ISIS or a planned attack all along.

MarkOfDavison

It is a tragedy no matter where it happens, and a pointless waste of innocent life. I have no idea how anyone can support a group like ISIS, or how some misguided soul could think that killing innocent people would be a good thing.

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
It is a tragedy no matter where it happens, and a pointless waste of innocent life. I have no idea how anyone can support a group like ISIS, or how some misguided soul could think that killing innocent people would be a good thing.

It's an interesting question as to why anyone would join a group like ISIS.

It's a mixture of things. The countries where ISIS is active most, the West is not seen as we see it. To us, this is the way of life. To them, we are doing it all wrong. They live in another way. The West has tried multiple times to overthrow their own lifestyle and make it the same as it is in the West. This is of course not well recieved, just flip the sides, would we like it when others try to force us upon another way of life?

Combine that with the fact that ISIS recruits children at a very young age, in countries where a career would seem hopeless. They offer a better life, a purpose and a family. And in the eyes of the people there, joining a group like ISIS might be their only shot.

I never like to make the comparison to Nazi Germany, but a lot of Germans in that time just didn't have another choice, they had to to save their family for example.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts