Spoiler Spouse Glitch

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Rand Althor

Legionnaire
If you have the Hearthfire dlc, you might have encountered a situation where your spouse was kidnapped by some local bandits. This happened to Lydia and halfway through my rescue attempt, the quest prematurely completed itself before I was able to free her form her cell. I didn't think anything was wrong was until later when I noticed she started walking backwards or walking in place, and even shaking occasionally. I did some research and it turns out that since the mission ended before I could free her, she still acts as though she's in the prison cell. Their have some been suggestions for a fix, but does anyone know anything that's confirmed to work?

ZombieTrash143

Hellish rock-and-roll Freak
Just a suggestion, could you load a previous save and try to complete the quest again?

Whenever I'm hit with bugs I usually re-load and try again. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Rand Althor

Legionnaire
Just a suggestion, could you load a previous save and try to complete the quest again?

Whenever I'm hit with bugs I usually re-load and try again. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Unfortunately by the time I noticed the glitch, I had long saved over that game file.

ambiiientz

If you have the Hearthfire dlc, you might have encountered a situation where your spouse was kidnapped by some local bandits. This happened to Lydia and halfway through my rescue attempt, the quest prematurely completed itself before I was able to free her form her cell. I didn't think anything was wrong was until later when I noticed she started walking backwards or walking in place, and even shaking occasionally. I did some research and it turns out that since the mission ended before I could free her, she still acts as though she's in the prison cell. Their have some been suggestions for a fix, but does anyone know anything that's confirmed to work?

Someone in these Forums posted a fix but it involves a previous save.

Instead of going back to your house and fighting bandits or "Rochelle the Red" and reading the ransom note.
You have to reload an autosave (xbox) and go straight to where your spouse is being held (do not go home).

It worked for me... (I tried wabbajack, killing, moving... none of these worked)

Rand Althor

Legionnaire
Someone in these Forums posted a fix but it involves a previous save.

Instead of going back to your house and fighting bandits or "Rochelle the Red" and reading the ransom note.
You have to reload an autosave (xbox) and go straight to where your spouse is being held (do not go home).

It worked for me... (I tried wabbajack, killing, moving... none of these worked)

I actually found a fix that works. It turns out you have to beat your spouse into submission (yes you read that right) and then have them follow you. It felt wrong, but it worked :)

Smarty

I actually found a fix that works. It turns out you have to beat your spouse into submission (yes you read that right) and then have them follow you. It felt wrong, but it worked :)

This is wrong in some many ways, lol. Mine worked after a FUS-RO-DAH, didn't need to beat her.

Rand Althor

Legionnaire
This is wrong in some many ways, lol. Mine worked after a FUS-RO-DAH, didn't need to beat her.
Damn I should of tried that first :oops: My character has now become a wife beater

Teeahka

The thing that worked for me was to open the console, on pc the tilde key, click on her and type [resurrect <1>] without the outside brackets of course, and then the enter or return key, then hit the tilde key once more to return back to normal screen. That's it, spouse back to normal.

Last edited:

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts