So... Why the homeless kids like Sofie don't go to Honorhall Orphanage?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Razi

Why do the kids in the cities don't go to Honorhall Orphanage?

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Depending on the city, you are asking orphans living on the street to travel cross country in Skyrim. I don't think carriages would take a dirty orphan so it would likely be by foot.

Also until you deal with the problem at Honorhall it's a nightmare orphanage anyway.

At least that's what my line of thinking took me on.

kenia153

I imagine for one, they probably can't afford to travel there, and on their own isn't safe anyway. Perhaps the orphanage costs a bit of money too, so the kids there already could be from wealthier families. Also the orphanage isn't that big either. So not to mention there would be no room. :sadface:

Razi

Depending on the city, you are asking orphans living on the street to travel cross country in Skyrim. I don't think carriages would take a dirty orphan so it would likely be by foot.

Also until you deal with the problem at Honorhall it's a nightmare orphanage anyway.

At least that's what my line of thinking took me on.
They don't know that it's a nightmare
I imagine for one, they probably can't afford to travel there, and on their own isn't safe anyway. Perhaps the orphanage costs a bit of money too, so the kids there already could be from wealthier families. Also the orphanage isn't that big either. So not to mention there would be no room. :sadface:
And to you both, Sofie can go there, beacuse if Aventus can go from Riften all the way to Windhelm, so can Sofie

kenia153

Aventus probably had money from his parents. Or he stole it, or is just insane and somehow managed to trek there on his own. You can't really compare Sofie to Aventus. I mean, he tried to summon the dark brotherhood. He had to get the materials for the effigy-- materials including human flesh and a human heart if im not mistaken. I'd say theres quite a difference between Sofie and Aventus. Clearly he is somehow capable of unrealistic things! So it's not that surprising that he made it home all by himself.

Also, as someone mentioned Grelod, I'd like to say that she definitely would not let Sofie into Honorhall. Mostly because she's a jerk, and also because I really do believe the orphanage is for orphaned kids with parents that had money, or perhaps served in the war, hence "Honor"hall

But that's just my two cents. :)

Razi

Aventus probably had money from his parents. Or he stole it, or is just insane and somehow managed to trek there on his own. You can't really compare Sofie to Aventus. I mean, he tried to summon the dark brotherhood. He had to get the materials for the effigy-- materials including human flesh and a human heart if im not mistaken. I'd say theres quite a difference between Sofie and Aventus. Clearly he is somehow capable of unrealistic things! So it's not that surprising that he made it home all by himself.

Also, as someone mentioned Grelod, I'd like to say that she definitely would not let Sofie into Honorhall. Mostly because she's a jerk, and also because I really do believe the orphanage is for orphaned kids with parents that had money, or perhaps served in the war, hence "Honor"hall

But that's just my two cents. :)
How's sofie a jerk? and if you kill Braith (A known jerk) parents, or most of kids from any city parents, they go there
And after you kill Grelord they get a decent worker, and they don't go there

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I think they have to already be from an established family to end up there. Just a random child doesn't seem to go there. I seem to remember that they get "sent" there, not just go there on their own. Aventus was "sent" to the orphanage AND his family were property owners in the city. In the case of the Amren family and Braithe being sent there, again, property owners IN the city.

Notice that the regular homeless kids like Sofie, Lucia, the kid in Dawnstar, the kid at the Solitude Stables, etc... are no name kids (their family, not the kids themselves). Sofie's dad was just a Stormcloak soldier and already a widower, Lucia's family died and her aunt & uncle kicked her out (I suspect the Loria's's), the kid in Dawnstar was the child of sick sailor, etc...

I'm not sure I buy that but then I don't know the back stories of the kids already in the orphanage. To me, there doesn't seem to be a reason for them not to go, but there's a more fundamental question of why no-one is looking after these kids in their own towns - given the prevalence of religious institutions and somewhat kindly people (most people in Skyrim seem to be "good" in the D&D alignment sense) you'd think someone would take them in. Even with less kindly intentions (but still not bad) local farmers would appreciate the extra pair of hands in exchange for shelter and food. Although Lucia's relationship with the beggar is probably something to keep an eye on...

The orphans also seem to have a varied quality of life, but that might be my bias against cold weather. The kids in the south are probably doing a lot better than the ones in the north.

Having said all that, no-one bats an eyelid when a dragon-slaying vampire, cannibal assassin takes these kids off to his creepy, self-built house in the middle of a swamp. Maybe people don't care about the kids after all.

Like a lot of other things in fictional settings it doesn't make a lot of sense when you scratch below the surface. Ultimately the orphans are there to make the player feel sorry for them and emphasise the points about loss and hardship, especially from war.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I'm not sure I buy that but then I don't know the back stories of the kids already in the orphanage. To me, there doesn't seem to be a reason for them not to go, but there's a more fundamental question of why no-one is looking after these kids in their own towns - given the prevalence of religious institutions and somewhat kindly people (most people in Skyrim seem to be "good" in the D&D alignment sense) you'd think someone would take them in. Even with less kindly intentions (but still not bad) local farmers would appreciate the extra pair of hands in exchange for shelter and food. Although Lucia's relationship with the beggar is probably something to keep an eye on...

The orphans also seem to have a varied quality of life, but that might be my bias against cold weather. The kids in the south are probably doing a lot better than the ones in the north.

Having said all that, no-one bats an eyelid when a dragon-slaying vampire, cannibal assassin takes these kids off to his creepy, self-built house in the middle of a swamp. Maybe people don't care about the kids after all.

Like a lot of other things in fictional settings it doesn't make a lot of sense when you scratch below the surface. Ultimately the orphans are there to make the player feel sorry for them and emphasise the points about loss and hardship, especially from war.
Re you question re looking after the kids in their own town, why would they? We don't do it in today's society (I should know, I WAS a homeless teen at one time). Particularly in the States, we don't give a damn about anyone except ourselves (generally speaking, although we talk a good game). The only people who take care of the homeless are the homeless themselves. Use the example of Lucia in Whiterun - who is the only person who cares in the least about her? It's the beggar and she even says so.
Oddly, I never questioned it because I know what it's like in real-life so it just seemed like the way it was. The wealthy, property owning people are taken care of while the poor and indigent are ignored.
Sad, but that's just the way it is.

kenia153

Gotta agree with Daelon there. Life in skyrim is hard and unforgiving especially . No one is going to say anything when a dangerous person takes a homeless kid because tbh they have their own families to worry about. And they are in no position to confront such an imposing person

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts