So how immersive are you going to play Skyrim?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
It worked for “Dead Island” where you could only save in certain locations which were pretty rare. But I guess that’s a little different because there the horror of feeling constantly threatened was intended.

Jeruhmi

No cure as in “you will have it for the rest of the game / inevitably die from it”? Isn’t that going a bit too far? I think people would just reload at that point.
Well make it so it's not a hazardous effect. Or have it so if you do complete a quest you may be able to cure yourself in the end. Or perhaps have your effected leg amputated, and it replaced with a wooden leg? LOL.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Yeah. And if you die for some reason, you'll have to load and go all the way back. Maybe they could have something like 'if you die, you respawn with some trope excuse' but since its single player, you don't really need all that. Just save and load.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Exactly. That’s the dilemma for developers. If the penalty becomes too burdensome players will just reload if they are given the opportunity to do so. One trick to circumvent that is to make the player notice the full disadvantages only later on so that going back would be too tedious. “The Witcher” does that by only revealing in the next chapter most of the time what your moral choices caused.

Jeruhmi

Exactly. That’s the dilemma for developers. If the penalty becomes too burdensome players will just reload if they are given the opportunity to do so. One trick to circumvent that is to make the player notice the full disadvantages only later on so that going back would be too tedious. “The Witcher” does that by only revealing in the next chapter most of the time what your moral choices caused.
I had not really weighed up the fact that people can just reload. I don't actually do that in games anymore.
The Witcher sounds like it has figured out a good strategy then.

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
For me I'm going to try and be immersive as possible. Such as cooking my food to eat, resting at night in taverns, use fast travel as little as possible, etc etc. So how immersive are you guys going to play?

I am going to use fast travel to cover areas I've already explored. No need to do that again. I try to keep gaming experience as enjoyable as possible. It should be a leisure, not another job included in my daily routine.

Quick save is good to have. It really doesn't improve your experience, to play for one hour until game crashes. Then you find yourself on the spot where you started. I've actually stopped playing a few games, when this has happened, for a month.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
I am going to use fast travel to cover areas I've already explored. No need to do that again. I try to keep gaming experience as enjoyable as possible. It should be a leisure, not another job included in my daily routine.

Quick save is good to have. It really doesn't improve your experience, to play for one hour until game crashes. Then you find yourself on the spot where you started. I've actually stopped playing a few games, when this has happened, for a month.
I hope Skyrim would have more random encounters to make any long journey more interesting. I will try to avoid fast travel but it's not really a guaranteed I will actually not use it. Also, Auto-save should be able to save you nicely. I just don't like how you can quick-save before you pickpocket and quick-load when you get caught.

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
I just don't like how you can quick-save before you pickpocket and quick-load when you get caught.

Like you pointed out, save-system works nicely in Deus Ex: HR where game saves between ´scenes´. Skyrim's setting is however different from that and it would work only in dungeons or similar places. DE:HR system could actually be disastrous in Skyrim. What do you think?

Cyberote

Mayor of Zufadt
I'm leaving my window open and I'm going to let the cold November wind hit me in the face so I can feel more like I'm in Skyrim... just kidding. But I will indeed try out the cooking and immerse myself as much as I possibly can. I'm probably not going to fast travel at all until I've completed the main quest and maybe a few other side quests. This will be the first game I really immersed myself and roleplayed in. In Oblivion, I just made a cool-looking Argonian and decided to just run around and do whatever. In Skyrim, I actually have a back story for my character.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Like you pointed out, save-system works nicely in Deus Ex: HR where game saves between ´scenes´. Skyrim's setting is however different from that and it would work only in dungeons or similar places. DE:HR system could actually be disastrous in Skyrim. What do you think?
Never played Deus Ex: HR so I really don't know how it will work out. It's just that quick-save-load feature is too abusive. Maybe if there's like some limit to quick-loading like, you can't quick load again for 5 minutes or something. I know a lot of people would hate that but that's what it takes for me to stop using that feature and live with the consequences I get.
I'm leaving my window open and I'm going to let the cold November wind hit me in the face so I can feel more like I'm in Skyrim... just kidding. But I will indeed try out the cooking and immerse myself as much as I possibly can. I'm probably not going to fast travel at all until I've completed the main quest and maybe a few other side quests. This will be the first game I really immersed myself and roleplayed in. In Oblivion, I just made a cool-looking Argonian and decided to just run around and do whatever. In Skyrim, I actually have a back story for my character.
That's cool. I made a thread about Skyrim Character Ideas. I would love to read your character's story

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
Never played Deus Ex: HR so I really don't know how it will work out. It's just that quick-save-load feature is too abusive.
If you think quick save is abusive, you should really try out old megamans. Those games are just... I don't know what kind of sadist have made them up. You can't save. You can't do anything. If you lose all your lives, that's it. You have to start from beginning and go through all levels again.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
If you think quick save is abusive, you should really try out old megamans. Those games are just... I don't know what kind of sadist have made them up. You can't save. You can't do anything. If you lose all your lives, that's it. You have to start from beginning and go through all levels again.
Well, there is a delicate balance between save and challenge. If you save too much, you'll never really learn from your mistake and never become better at the game. Also, it won't be challenging at all since all your mistakes will be hidden away in the folds of in-game time. But if it doesn't have any save feature, it's annoying since you'll only get the most practice out of the beginning part and you barely have the chance to practice on the difficult part where you get killed. To stay on topic, I'm just thinking of quick-save and quick-load feature as a game mechanic that really breaks the immersion. Sure, if I die I can load my savefile to try again and learn but if I fail on a speech check, I could just live with it since my character isn't perfect but I could also just quick-load until I roll the right die. In Oblivion, I often abused this feature just to pickpocket people. If I screwed up with silent kill and they start alerting everyone, I quick-loaded to try again. I really hate myself for that. I can't be doing that for my journaling project so I'll try not to use it. The feature is just too abusive to ignore though so I think something needs to be done.

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
. The feature is just too abusive to ignore though so I think something needs to be done.

I raise my hat, if you have patience enough to go through game in that style. And I agree it's easy to abuse quick-save, especially if game doesn't reward you enough for playing on the darker side of spectrum. Most of games usually won't encourage players in same way they to reward if they play as a good guy.

PS: Have you tried adom?

Travis

For me I'm going to try and be immersive as possible. Such as cooking my food to eat, resting at night in taverns, use fast travel as little as possible, etc etc. So how immersive are you guys going to play?
Hmm, that's an interesting question. At first I thought, "Yeah, me too, totally immersive", but now I am remembering how much I used fast travel in Oblivion. But I think I like your idea better. It would be cool if there was a setting that would take out fast travel, and force you to rest, but making your guy really tired, and clumsy when he hadn't slept in a while.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
I raise my hat, if you have patience enough to go through game in that style. And I agree it's easy to abuse quick-save, especially if game doesn't reward you enough for playing on the darker side of spectrum. Most of games usually won't encourage players in same way they to reward if they play as a good guy.

PS: Have you tried adom?
I agree that there isn't much positive perk from evil path that encourages you to not quick-load whenever you mess up. People will hate you and won't be very helpful to you. I liked how in Fallout, if you are bad, some bad people will look up to you. I think in Skyrim, it would be more immersive if your bad side shows some positive outcome. For example, people will recognize your infamous face and are more likely to run away from a fight. People will fear you and try not to mess with you. Just like how guards will look away if you are really good when you commit a small crime, the guards should look away if you are REALLY bad because they don't want to get killed by you. In Oblivion, all the guards were omniscient avatar of justice -.- If that happens, I'm sure people won't mind not using quick-load and just go with it.

also, I believe adom is an ASCII rougelike like nethack or dwarf fortress? I don't know much about it.

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
I agree with you completly. It was somewhat well done in Fallout, but it wasn't rewarding enough to make a competitor for a light-side playthrough.

It's almost like nethack, but it has an amazing open world system with randomized dungeons, apart from a few exceptions of course. It's not an impossible to beat or anything like that. But it's ASCII-game, or atleast it was when I played ten years ago.

Vocc

Vocc
Yeah, quite a lot. I think being immersed is what I enjoy so much..

I agree completely. It's all about becoming the game and becoming your character, feeling what your character feels. I'm looking forward to just sitting down and letting the huge world that Skyrim will offer, wash over me.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts