Skyrim Versus The Elder Scrolls Online

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Shawn Hopkins

[caption id="attachment_4532" align="aligncenter" width="586"] Windhelm Comparsion Images From IGN[/caption]

IGN has an intriguing article comparing the Skyrim from Skyrim to the Skyrim from The Elder Scrolls Online. As you can see in the above image, the same locations tend to look a lot less grandiose.

IGN's Leif Johnson had a lot of favorable things to say about how The Elder Scrolls Online experience invoked the feeling of earlier Elder Scrolls games, but wrote that even its best moments "Elder Scrolls Online only makes me homesick."

"My journeys presented an unintended consequence--they made me want to boot up Skyrim to see the differences. Several hours in ESO can make you forget how vast they are. Elder Scrolls Online presents a myopic view of the world Bethesda created in Skyrim, Oblivion, and Morrowind, and jumping back into the age of the Dovahkiin thus reminds me of slipping my glasses back on after going hours without them. The trees in Ivarstead grew lusher and fuller, in thickets and in alleyways; the buildings themselves seemed to bear the scars of long use and countless winters," Johnson wrote.

So, what do you think? Do the necessities of an MMORPG tend to make for a less epic game?

The Elder Scrolls Online releases to the PC and Mac on April 4, 2014 and to the Xbox One and PS4 in June of 2014.
View the Post on the Blog

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
ESO is a generic Fantsay world where things looked randomly placed as evidence in that Picture, in Skyrim however Bethesda actually done great work creating the Map and you cant compare an Online MMO to a Single Player RPG as they are nothing alike and of course it would make someone feeling homesick if they saw it, I felt Sick too Sick of what they done to the beautiful landscape we see in Skyrim and replaced it with this generic fantasy Design and as we all know time changes very little in the elder scrolls universe so its hard to imagine Windhelm looked like this 1000 years earlier. Now if that picture is supposed to have been taken in the same spot I must ask where is the mountain that is in the background?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts