• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

ChudMacGud

Elite Bard
If there is one thing I have learned from this forum, it is that it is full of quite possibly the most elite, skilled, and knowledgeable Skyrim gamers out there. I thought it would be great to have a thread chock full of tips and tricks that a beginner or even veteran can learn a thing or two from the best. I will kick it off with a just a few of the most basic tips and tricks I know.

-You can use the Unrelenting Force shout to go fishing, simply shout at the water and see what floats to the surface.

-Do you like torches but hate not having a free hand? Get a follower and give them a torch to light your way in a dark dungeon.

-Radiant quests can be buggy, to avoid glitches or even unwanted quest or dungeon types, simply save before you talk to the quest-giver. You can reload if the outcome of that quest is less than ideal.

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
- Giants can't turn well.
- Mammoths can though
- Draugr have weights attached to their feet
- Sabre Cats can turn... but not if you shield bash them
- I got nothing for bears, they have ridiculous hit boxes
- Dragons can't turn either
- Never give the Ebony Warrior the high ground
- Delphine is a bit**

NightRaven

I don't know if this is true always, or I've just been really lucky, but I've noticed that if I save before trying to pick a lock, if I reload it sweet spot will be in the same place. So if I run out of lockpicks but was this close, I can reload and get it like that.

Staff member
I don't know if this is true always, or I've just been really lucky, but I've noticed that if I save before trying to pick a lock, if I reload it sweet spot will be in the same place. So if I run out of lockpicks but was this close, I can reload and get it like that.
Personally it has always reset to another location for me. I usually don't have to worry about lockpicks though, as I frequently loot the 3 easily accessible Khajiiti merchant chests (always have ~50 lockpicks). There is one ouside the gates of Solitude, one outside Markarth, and one close to the mine in Dawnstar. I advice looking them up on YouTube or the wiki if you're interested, though be warned it is an exploit.

Reactions: Sah

Sah

NOTE: this one takes NO credit for any of the tips below...many have used these tips before this one...

hello this ones name is Sah.....all the tips below, are the tips this one uses to play the game as a warrior and at difficulty legendary, ...this one hopes you see something you too can use in your game...

A dragon will land in the same spot it did its last areal attack from (vertical)

Dragonrend will neutralize any elemental attack from a dragon whilst it is attacking on the ground.

Ethereal shouts can be used to jump insane heights and not DIE, as long as you land before your timer runs out

Whirldwind shouts can be used to go around corners, and through the shouts of the Deathlord Archers that send you tossing.

Executing the slow time shout at the same time as the resurrection perk Avoid Death kicks in will fill 50% of your life, not 250pts you should get

Executing slow time shout whilst taking considerable damage will only lead you to a slowmotion death ...100% of the time.

The Spellbraker will besides giving you 50% pts against magic, will naturalize the shout from legendary Dragons & will neutralize the shout from Deathlord Archers.

Smiting Equation: smiting maxed at 100, enchanted robe, gloves, amulet & ring with 25% smiting each = 100%, you add a potion of smiting 50% you have: 100perks + 100% from enchanting + 50% potion = 250% on any armor or weapon you do upgrading on.

To get your smiting perks up fast...using The Atherian Crown; Warriors Stone 20% + Lovers Stone 15% + 10% sleep in own bed (must not be a whearwolf) + Ancient Smiting 15% = 60% each time you make an object. must have correct order so the lovers stone dose not naturalize 10% from sleep

Starting Heartfire at level 15, building your first house will increase your smiting like it or not....if you say not...you cant build your house...so you have to smith to make building materials.

Iron ore is the most important ore in Skyrim....collect & buy all the ore you can....you will need it

this tip is how this one spends her level up points 0:2:1...for a warrior set up at legendary....magic 0pts...all magic from enchantments...Health / Stamina 2:1 (stamina is essential...for me more important than my life bar....Life I can protect as long as I have the stamina to do so....once your stamina is gone your life will end very fast

early in your game when smiting there is a temptation to use all your gold and silver...STOP...only use to get to level 30 perk Dwarven Smithing, that can take you to level 100 very easy...trust me later you will have so many gems you will not know what to do with then...save your gold & silver for the next time you start smiting at level 15....you be at level 100 with only gold & silver & gems

Once smiting is at 100 make all the armors you need, smith them to the max...then drop smiting back to level 15 and start again....

Once enchanting is at 100, dual enchant all the armors from the step above, use grand soul gems for max affect...once finished drop enchanting back to level 15, start again

Once finished enchanting all the armors & weapons from above, sell the ones you dont need for insane prices...increases your Speach skills.

Customize each armor to fit the quest... yes have the one fits all...but there are some quests you have to make exeptions...example...The assent to the temple of the quest The Word-Eaters Eyre....has any one get up there in legendary in one go...no potions, no healing...no pausing?.....what would you use?

A Black & Grand soul gem have the same affect on enchanting

Overlords have the ability to disarm you.

If doing a quest with Falmer involved...make sure you have some protection against poison, every contact they have with you will reduce your life to zero in no time (poison touch)

The only trap you have no chance of survival is the spinning blades in Dwarven Ruins

A female character...after completing the Sibel of Diabela quest you get extra damage against opposite sex...Skyrim is a very male dominated world

Use the SkyUIMod for programmable buttons....your goal is a menu free game....Tip: looting is a essential part of the game...enjoy the game first...then you have all the time to loot

ESSENTIAL never go to Blackreach without a pickax

To go down or up a spiral staircase...you should move your mouse in a strait parallel line across your mouse pad in the direction you are going....a spiral or circle is relay just a strait line

When buying skills from trainers make sure you have items to sell so you can get your money back (trainer must trade) great for all the Mages at the College, no good with the Companions & Thieves Gild Trainers.

If you avoid every cave and ruins you come across in the game, a side quest will eventual lead you there again 90% of the times.

When starting a new game...first choice of follower should be Marcisio from Riften (if not using Mod Follower)...he will wipe any opponent out...no mater the level

When starting a new game it is possible to come out of Helgen level 50 and above

As for Bears...avoid like hell at very low levels...they are as fast as you if you turn to run...and are like fighting a real ones...simple you DIE

Attacking ranged opponents (archers/mages) at blank point range, will force ranged opponents to switch to secondary weapon...most of the times (dagger)

You will receive no perk points for unlocking the same lock a second time

The only place you get to shout twice without a recharge time is in the Horn of Jurgen Windcaller, using whirldwind shout to pass the 3 gates

The Ebony Warrior is a very cruel joke..by the makers...you will die (first hit)!...tip you will die

Legendary will adapt to you...any changes you make the game it will adapt...example...you go into battle lacking a ring & amulet you will get a set of opponents ranging from the weakest to the strongest....now reload your game and put on your amulet and ring this time, you are much stronger now....so is the enemy...but not how you think...if before you where facing lets say 2 falmers & one shadowmaster...once you reload and with added strenght you have after adding ring & amulet...the game will adapt and give you one Falmer & 2 warmungers...different class of opponents...that was just an example....its just an obviation...not 100% confirmed.. but a repeated pattern...any one see the same pattern?

MOST IMPORTANT TIP 1: It is OK to DIE, each death will teach you how to live longer the next time round
MOST IMPORTANT TIP 2: One day you will not DIE...its only a matter of patience & time...what then?

yours Sah

Papoy

DON'T EXPECT SPOILER WARNINGS FROM ME
Never hurry with main quest line, it gets hard very quickly.
Join imperials for better challenge in civil war, they are so weak compared to stormcloacks, its a pain to simply watch them. Not gonna go in details of "why" but its true. Your choice tho, i go with SC's only when im a nord.
Markarth horses look like cows, Shadowmere is strongest, and Windhelm are prettyest (all IMO)
Food doesn't give you large benefit, but if u make a strong soup, it can prove useful even in fights, DON'T IGNORE FOOD, WORSHIP IT.
Everything else i know are just strategies to win a fights. No nerves to write them all...
Edit: wait theres more xd, when u are given a task to go to High hrothagar, best way is to first go to iverstad (yeh its quite a journey) so follow the road, and use signs to navigate, its longer but less stressful and more dangereus, so dont use up all yer stamina before u see signs of some bigger trouble (like bear, or sabre cat, there will definetly be one troll) Good luck, this is one of most annoying quests in game.

Last edited:

Shneeb108

Personally it has always reset to another location for me. I usually don't have to worry about lockpicks though, as I frequently loot the 3 easily accessible Khajiiti merchant chests (always have ~50 lockpicks). There is one ouside the gates of Solitude, one outside Markarth, and one close to the mine in Dawnstar. I advice looking them up on YouTube or the wiki if you're interested, though be warned it is an exploit.
We know about the Dawnstar chest, but exactly where are the other two hiding.

Staff member
We know about the Dawnstar chest, but exactly where are the other two hiding.
Pretty close to where the Khajiit merchants usually set up camp. In Markarth it's along the stone things by the road that look like sandbags, in Solitude it's harder to describe. Both of these can be found via youtube

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts