• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
I view 'Skyrim' as my "practice novel," a learning experience that'll teach me about the amount of effort that goes into writing a novel, what works and what doesn't work, how to budget time, how to construct a plot, how to create enduring characters, how to work within restrictions, how to conduct and use research and so on.

Have you ever heard of Nanowrimo (National Novel Writing Month)? I strongly recommend you try it out this year! It's held every November, and the goal is to write a 50,000-word first draft of a novel in thirty days. I can say, with four years' worth of personal experience with Nanowrimo, that it is an excellent way to learn about and practice novel-writing. Plus, it's so much fun! The community aspect of it is probably my favorite part; undertaking a challenge like writing a novel, regardless of how many days you're doing it in, is much easier when you've got a community supporting you and commisserating with you all the way. Come join us!

Neriad13

Premium Member
Have you ever heard of Nanowrimo (National Novel Writing Month)? I strongly recommend you try it out this year! It's held every November, and the goal is to write a 50,000-word first draft of a novel in thirty days. I can say, with four years' worth of personal experience with Nanowrimo, that it is an excellent way to learn about and practice novel-writing. Plus, it's so much fun! The community aspect of it is probably my favorite part; undertaking a challenge like writing a novel, regardless of how many days you're doing it in, is much easier when you've got a community supporting you and commisserating with you all the way. Come join us!

I have thought it would be fun to do it, but somehow November always ends up being an absolutely horrible month for writing for me. Too close to the monstrosity that is December. 0.0

But maybe...

Aww, that was a heartbreaker, and very well done.

The funny thing is, that scene wasn't even in the original draft of the chapter. It was when I was working on the scene with Lydia and Lilija in the Windhelm dungeon that I went "Yeah...Lilija's a nice girl. I better give her a big moment before dumping the bad news on Lydia."

SGT_Sky

Silence, My Brother
the final scene of chapter 3 was one of my favorites thus far

SGT_Sky

Silence, My Brother
Awwww. Her death was pre-written before the game even began. As were, coincidentally, the deaths of most of Lydia's friends.

2012319232357934.jpg

-2138155203.jpg

A happy camper she is not.

lol.

SGT_Sky

Silence, My Brother
what language is that on the second screen shot of the dead people? almost looks russian but not entirely sure, that isn't my specialty by any means

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
what language is that on the second screen shot of the dead people? almost looks russian but not entirely sure, that isn't my specialty by any means

I believe that's either Polish or Czech, if I'm not mistaken.

Neriad13

Premium Member

I was just looking for a picture with Gunjar's name in it. That was the only language I could find with it.

SGT_Sky

Silence, My Brother
I was just looking for a picture with Gunjar's name in it. That was the only language I could find with it.
it was just a curiosity of mine

Shew

Account closed (at sincere request).
I can't wait til chapter 4 is out, again I am so happy to be reading such quality.

AstroSteve

Dovahking
Why Lydia Kindling-Wright? Assuming you have some backstory to it, because Wright doesn't sound like a very Nirnish/Tamrielic name to me. I havn't finished reading what you've written yet so I might just be being impatient, but the name stuck out.

Neriad13

Premium Member
Why Lydia Kindling-Wright? Assuming you have some backstory to it, because Wright doesn't sound like a very Nirnish/Tamrielic name to me. I havn't finished reading what you've written yet so I might just be being impatient, but the name stuck out.

It's an insulting nickname that Saadia made up on the spot to mess with Lydia because she was chopping kindling.

AstroSteve

Dovahking
Ha oh wright, you're great at conveying personalities, I love how whenever I see Lydia (either in game or on YouTube) I see her backstory in the way she acts, it really adds a fantastic new level to all the characters :)

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Just out of curiosity, do you have anyone in mind to "play" Tanniel and other characters? Whenever I read or write anything, I can't help but pick actors to portray the characters in the movie in my mind. I keep imagining Hillary Swank as Lydia because she kind of looks like her...

Oh, and the latest scene was brilliant, of course! Nice to see Tanniel and Lydia finally getting along.

Shew

Account closed (at sincere request).
I have to admit I let the characterization of the story pic the acters myself. Course I am so bad at actors names... I almost lose my Obscure Reference title to my daughter.

Gorzash

Battle-Jaded Orc
Something fun I like to do is try to describe the personality of a character in three words. That oftentimes helps me call an actor/ actress to mind (considering what rolls they usually play). When I think of Tanniel, I think of timid, intuitive, reserved.

EDIT: Also, Neriad, I love the metaphoric monster in chapter two that you keep referring to. Brilliant literary devices here... I shall takes notes...

Neriad13

Premium Member
Ha oh wright, you're great at conveying personalities, I love how whenever I see Lydia (either in game or on YouTube) I see her backstory in the way she acts, it really adds a fantastic new level to all the characters :)

That's something I always try really hard to do and I'm so glad it worked. ^.^ Chapter III actually began with myself asking and attempting to answer several questions left open by the game.

1. Why is Lydia so passive-aggressive?
2. Why, if Lydia came from an Empire-controlled city, does she always scream "Skyrim is for the Nords" when running into battle?

Just out of curiosity, do you have anyone in mind to "play" Tanniel and other characters? Whenever I read or write anything, I can't help but pick actors to portray the characters in the movie in my mind. I keep imagining Hillary Swank as Lydia because she kind of looks like her...

Oh, and the latest scene was brilliant, of course! Nice to see Tanniel and Lydia finally getting along.

No, I can't say that's something I've ever done. I don't watch that much in the way of movies and there's only a small handful of actors that I really know anything about. It's extremely rare that I see any real person who reminds me of characters that I work with, though, once in a blue moon, I will inadvertently run into someone who looks exactly like one of my characters. A few years back, during an outdoor high school concert at a district budget vote, I saw a kid sitting in front of me who looked exactly like the main character of another story that I'd been working on. Like, taken-straight-out-of-my-head exact. Scared the crap out of me. 0.0

As for Tanniel, I've yet to find someone who resembles her. But I do make rough sketches sometimes. :)

scan0001.jpg

scan0001.jpg
[/IMG]

Though I will say, that by the end of the story, she will end up looking quite a bit like Guts. Sans mechanical arm and six-foot-long sword, of course.

1236261-guts27_super.jpg

Something fun I like to do is try to describe the personality of a character in three words. That oftentimes helps me call an actor/ actress to mind (considering what rolls they usually play). When I think of Tanniel, I think of timid, intuitive, reserved.

EDIT: Also, Neriad, I love the metaphoric monster in chapter two that you keep referring to. Brilliant literary devices here... I shall takes notes...

Huh, that's really interesting. ;)

Those passages were heavily based on real-life events and my personal response to them. And interestingly, I began writing that chapter a day or so after the one year anniversary of that particular event.

That's the one thing you should always take notes on - the things that happen in your own life, big and small. Whenever I encounter someone with an odd vocal quirk that amazes me or get told a horrible story by a complete stranger (customer service is like that), or watch an unstoppable conflict bloom between coworkers, I journal about it. I see myself as a sort of impartial spy, silently observing the things that take place around me. If it's true, I don't know, but it is a great way to relieve stress and really opens your eyes to the world around you.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts