PC Skyrim Main Menu bugged and cannot play.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Kyrios311

At NVIDIA's website, when I search for drivers to download, the only one available is the latest one, 285.62. Also, there is no link in your post, so I am assuming this is where you meant :p

tragik

Premium Member

Kyrios311

Ah, now I see, thank you :) Downloading the driver right now. Thank you for sticking through all this time, hope this works! Even if it doesn't I very much appreciate your support! Will update you as soon as I finish the steps and such.

Kyrios311

For some reason the driver update cannot be applied. "This NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of windows."?

tragik

Premium Member
did you choose the right windows version on the drop downs?

tragik

Premium Member
also, are you running windows 732 bit or 64 bit?

Kyrios311

Ok, downloading 64-bit, and going to download the previous one before the current one I am downloading just to be sure. Made sure to click 64-bit this time, should have paid attention lol...

tragik

Premium Member
No worries.. I will be heading home and away from this for the next hour.. once those are downloaded, rollback the nvidia and reboot.. the pc will come back online.. check the version again, see if it is the same driver version.

If it is, uninstall through add/remove programs and reboot again.. then install from your two versions you downloaded..

Each time you do it, i would test skyrim out first and see if it crashes or works..

Let me know.

Kyrios311

No luck :sadface: I guess I will have to wait it out. I even tried a system restore, and that did not work! I suppose I may just need a new computer... thanks for all your help though :)

tragik

Premium Member
hey, if you are still there.. couple more things to try.. don't give up on this beautiful game yet... yell back if you want to try two more things (not as extensive as the video card drivers).

tragik

Premium Member
sorry for delay.. I have two ideas.

Once is check the event log on the pc after skyrim crashes, what is the error log if any.
how to get to error logs:
Open Event Viewer by clicking the Start button
4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818.jpg
, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Event Viewer.‌
18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48.jpg
If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
You will see an application log on the left, select it and a list of stuff on the right..

So say at 11am you opened Skyrim and it crashed at 1105am, if you check the event log from 11am-1107am and look for something says error (will have a red icon to it). Or will also say Skyrim.exe (if that is the exe for the game.)

If there are errors associated around the time frame, what are they? You can double click on the event and see what it says.

2nd idea:
You mentioned that you uninstalled the game and re-installed before? But did you rename any folders in c:\program files that is related to Skyrim? For example, some games when you uninstall they only remove the main bulk of the game but leave all the config stuff. So you re-install and actually you're just re-using the broken pieces. This would require some digging when the game is installed and then uninstall, check the same locations to see if those folders are gone.

My guess would be somewhere around here:
C/program files/Bethesda soft works/skyrim

I would also do a pc search for file/folder with the word skyrim. Each folder I find I would rename to _old at the end of the name (exmaple: skyrim_old) by right clicking on the folder and choosing rename. Once all the locations are renamed, I would install the game again from start.

*remember only rename folders AFTER you have uninstalled the game like you normally have done.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts