• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
How do I put a Lock on my Home in Whiterun? I have made the Lock, now I need to put it on my Door. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

Hart

Sassmaster
Uh. You can't. A lock is only for built homes of the Hearthfire DLC...

Cordelia

Global Moderator
Staff member
As Hart has said, the lock is part of constructing a home in Hearthfire. It's necessary for creating doors and chests when you're building one of three homes; Lakeview in Falkreath, Windstad Manor in Hjaalmarch, and Heljarchen Hall in The Pale (behind White Run, right around the area where you find Cicero on the road).

A pre-existing home is already safe, which, in this sense, means NPC's cannot enter it. The exceptions are your followers, the home's resident House Carl, or those NPC's that are talking to you when you open the door (because they often get loaded into the house with you to finish the dialogue, but then immediately leave). A pre-existing home is safe, and all of the storage is safe storage, meaning it doesn't reset to any default (empty) state. So, for all intents and purposes, your house locks behind you every time you walk through the door.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts