• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Yesterday i returned the Skeleton Key to it's rightful owner.How many of these jobs from Vex & Delvin do i have to do to get the Under New Management quest? I'm guessing it doesn't matter which jobs i do?

Yesterday i returned the Skeleton Key to it's rightful owner.How many of these jobs from Vex & Delvin do i have to do to get the Under New Management quest? I'm guessing it doesn't matter which jobs i do?
What I usually do for my character is I max out the lockpicking, sneak, and pickpocket skills and deck out their perks as well so I can complete the jobs easily without getting caught by the authorities. What you have to do is you have to complete five random jobs in each major city excluding riften (Whiterun, markarth, solitude, and windhelm). There is a unique quest in each of the four major cities after completing five jobs in the city, and all four of those unique quests must be completed before the under new management quest is initiated. If you complete any jobs in riften, or if you complete a job in one of the four major cities after completing the unique quest for that city, it doesn't do you any good except for the payment for the job. What I will usually do is I will save my game before asking delvin or vex for a new job, and if they give me a job in riften, or in a major city which I have already completed the unique quest in and therefore have restored the guild's influence to, I will revert back to the saved game until they give me a job in a city that will do me some good.

I know I answered your question before, but I just wanted to go into a little more detail about the jobs and unique quests in each of the four major cities that must be completed. After successfully doing 5 jobs of any kind (burglary, shill, sweep, or heist from vex. Or bedlam, fishing, or numbers from delvin) in windhelm, you are assigned the summerset shadows quest, which involves contacting this dude in windhelm. (I think his name is captain lonely gale) and he complains that his daughter was murdered and had her locket stolen by a high elf thief who is trying to start a rival guild. You have to get a dark elf merchant woman named niryne (I think that is how her name is spelled. Forgive me, I know the characters, sometimes I'm just bad at recalling the actual names) to talk and tell you where the rival guild is located. You have to go to their hideout and wipe them out, then take the locket off of their leader, and give it back to the guy whose daughter it was stolen from. In exchange, he will restore the guild's influence in windhelm, and niryne, the dunmer merchant who snitched, will be a guild fence for you. After completing 5 jobs of any kind in whiterun, you are assigned the imitation amnesty quest, where you have to contact olfrid battle-born, and he asks you to steal a letter telling the whiterun guard to watch for arn from dragonsreach, and to erase his name from the prison registry in dragonsreach. I think this is the easiest job to complete, because as long as you have become a thane of whiterun by completing the dragon rising quest, most of the time, the guards don't care if they see you in the jarl's chambers, and when taking the letter, the word steal in red text does not appear. The only time you must make any slight effort not to get caught is when forging the prison registry, which pretty much you just have to make sure no guards see you do it, which is easily done even without a high sneak skill as long as the guards do not ask you to leave when they see you enter the jarl's chambers. Again, olfrid says he will restore the guild's influence to whiterun, and you get a random item as a reward. After completing 5 job of any kind in markarth, you are assigned the silver lining quest, where you must contact endon, and he asks you to enter a bandit hideout named pinewatch, and retrieve a silver mold that was stolen from him. When you give it back to him, he gives you a random item for a reward, and will also be a fence for you. After completing 5 jobs in solitude, you are assigned the dainty sload quest, where you contact erikur, and he asks you to perform a shill job. You must buy balmora blue from sabine at the docks, and plant it in the footlocker on the dainty sload. There are several corsairs and an orc first mate who will become hostile and attack you on sight. I'm not positive, but I think you can kill them all if you want to, and it is not a crime and it will not cause you to fail the quest or affect its outcome in any way. However, when I start completing the thieves guild jobs, my sneak skill is maxed out at 100, and I have all the perks selected except for the three that increase the sneak attack damage multipliers. So personally, I prefer to stick to the shadows and do it completely bloodlessly. After returning to erikur, he will give you a random item for a reward, and will restore the guild's influence in solitude. After doing this in any 3 of the major cities, you also must go to tonilia in the ragged flagon, who assigns you the task of speaking to the leader of the khajiit caravans and giving him a satchel of moon sugar so he will smuggle stolen goods for the guild. I don't know how your characters thieving skills are built up, but for my current character, her lockpicking, sneak, and pickpocket skills are all maxed out and with the needed perks also selected, so she is versatile and can complete any job from vex or delvin easily and without getting caught by the authorities. I take the bedlam jobs as sparingly as possible, only because once you steal 500 septims worth of goods in a hold, they will never respawn (or if they do, it takes a very long time, I'm not sure which is true.) I have stated this before in my previous post, but when doing the jobs from delvin or vex, remember: if you complete any jobs in riften, or if you complete any jobs in a major city after the unique quest for that city has been completed, you are really only spinning your wheels in neutral, and it doesn't get you any closer to the under new management quest. Again, what I would recommend doing is to save your game right before asking for a job, and if you are given a job in riften or in a major city which you have already completed the 5 jobs and the unique quest in, just reload your saved game and try again, and repeat the process as many times as needed until you are given a job in a city that will do you some good. So, have you been able to successfully initiate the under new management quest since I answered your question? I look foreword to hearing your reply.

I know I answered your question before, but I just wanted to go into a little more detail about the jobs and unique quests in each of the four major cities that must be completed. After successfully doing 5 jobs of any kind (burglary, shill, sweep, or heist from vex. Or bedlam, fishing, or numbers from delvin) in windhelm, you are assigned the summerset shadows quest, which involves contacting this dude in windhelm. (I think his name is captain lonely gale) and he complains that his daughter was murdered and had her locket stolen by a high elf thief who is trying to start a rival guild. You have to get a dark elf merchant woman named niryne (I think that is how her name is spelled. Forgive me, I know the characters, sometimes I'm just bad at recalling the actual names) to talk and tell you where the rival guild is located. You have to go to their hideout and wipe them out, then take the locket off of their leader, and give it back to the guy whose daughter it was stolen from. In exchange, he will restore the guild's influence in windhelm, and niryne, the dunmer merchant who snitched, will be a guild fence for you. After completing 5 jobs of any kind in whiterun, you are assigned the imitation amnesty quest, where you have to contact olfrid battle-born, and he asks you to steal a letter telling the whiterun guard to watch for arn from dragonsreach, and to erase his name from the prison registry in dragonsreach. I think this is the easiest job to complete, because as long as you have become a thane of whiterun by completing the dragon rising quest, most of the time, the guards don't care if they see you in the jarl's chambers, and when taking the letter, the word steal in red text does not appear. The only time you must make any slight effort not to get caught is when forging the prison registry, which pretty much you just have to make sure no guards see you do it, which is easily done even without a high sneak skill as long as the guards do not ask you to leave when they see you enter the jarl's chambers. Again, olfrid says he will restore the guild's influence to whiterun, and you get a random item as a reward. After completing 5 job of any kind in markarth, you are assigned the silver lining quest, where you must contact endon, and he asks you to enter a bandit hideout named pinewatch, and retrieve a silver mold that was stolen from him. When you give it back to him, he gives you a random item for a reward, and will also be a fence for you. After completing 5 jobs in solitude, you are assigned the dainty sload quest, where you contact erikur, and he asks you to perform a shill job. You must buy balmora blue from sabine at the docks, and plant it in the footlocker on the dainty sload. There are several corsairs and an orc first mate who will become hostile and attack you on sight. I'm not positive, but I think you can kill them all if you want to, and it is not a crime and it will not cause you to fail the quest or affect its outcome in any way. However, when I start completing the thieves guild jobs, my sneak skill is maxed out at 100, and I have all the perks selected except for the three that increase the sneak attack damage multipliers. So personally, I prefer to stick to the shadows and do it completely bloodlessly. After returning to erikur, he will give you a random item for a reward, and will restore the guild's influence in solitude. After doing this in any 3 of the major cities, you also must go to tonilia in the ragged flagon, who assigns you the task of speaking to the leader of the khajiit caravans and giving him a satchel of moon sugar so he will smuggle stolen goods for the guild. I don't know how your characters thieving skills are built up, but for my current character, her lockpicking, sneak, and pickpocket skills are all maxed out and with the needed perks also selected, so she is versatile and can complete any job from vex or delvin easily and without getting caught by the authorities. I take the bedlam jobs as sparingly as possible, only because once you steal 500 septims worth of goods in a hold, they will never respawn (or if they do, it takes a very long time, I'm not sure which is true.) I have stated this before in my previous post, but when doing the jobs from delvin or vex, remember: if you complete any jobs in riften, or if you complete any jobs in a major city after the unique quest for that city has been completed, you are really only spinning your wheels in neutral, and it doesn't get you any closer to the under new management quest. Again, what I would recommend doing is to save your game right before asking for a job, and if you are given a job in riften or in a major city which you have already completed the 5 jobs and the unique quest in, just reload your saved game and try again, and repeat the process as many times as needed until you are given a job in a city that will do you some good. So, have you been able to successfully initiate the under new management quest since I answered your question? I look foreword to hearing your reply.
Hey, when I posted this, I should have known I should have attached a spoiler tag to it. I wish there was some way to attach one after it was posted. So, if you haven't read it already, which I don't think you have since I haven't heard back from you, I'm doing that now. The reply I posted after I answered your question does contain in depth spoilers about how to get the under new management quest, so DON'T READ IT UNLESS YOU WANT SPOILERS ON IT!!!

Hey, I posted another reply to your question. I didn't know how to attach a spoiler tag to it, so that is what I'm warning you about now. My last reply to your thread does contain in depth spoilers to it, so if you haven't already read it, which I don't think you have since I haven't heard back from you yet, DON'T READ MY LAST REPLY UNLESS YOU WANT SPOILERS ON HOW TO AQUIRE THE UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT QUEST!!!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts