• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Bira96

I like Serana, she's a fascinating character, but not as much as some of the poor broken-hearted dovahkiins I've seen. Everywhere I go, I see a lot of people wondering why Serana won't marry them and desperately searching for a way to marry the girl they've all fallen for. I've spent a lot of time thinking about this, and I am completely certain I've discovered the truth; I believe Serana is actually in love with the Dragonborn, but she has a deep, unshakable fear of intimacy and/or commitment.
I've put this all together in my mind, it all makes sense! Serana is a daughter of Coldharbour, meaning she inherited her "gift" of vampirism from Molag Bal, the daderic prince of slavery and rape. If you've read the book in-game about how Molag Bal created the first vampire, you'll know that it was a rather violent and..personal experience. Serana also mentions that Molag Bal handpicks who gets to go through the ceremony, and not everyone itself. Also, pay attention to how she describes it; degrading. And, when you ask her if she's thought of curing herself, she refuses, ending with, "especially after what I did to get it." Considering the title of Molag Bal and how Serana describes the ceremony, I think Molag Bal treated her like he treated that first vampire... not very good. Add this to what Serana says if you try to propose to her in Chasing Echoes,
"Look, you're great but.. even being near a temple scares me."
Being near a temple scares her? That sounds like a commitment phobia to me. That, and the vampire ceremony Serana went through took place in Coldharbour itself, and was technically a "religious" event for the followers of Molag Bal, so there's a good chance it took place in some kind of daderic temple, where Serena experienced that horror that turned her into a vampire. Could it be that being near any kind of temple reminds her of that trauma? Definitely.
And after the rest of her life falls apart, she meets a brave adventurer who cares about her well being and gladly shares his grand adventures and epic quests with her, and is always there for her to confide her fears and feelings, or, just someone to talk with. But the shadow of what happened to her never diminishes. So in conclusion, I truly believe that Bethesda did intend for Serana to fall in love with the player, but made her impossible to marry to show that there are truly some scars that never fully heal.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts