Same sex marriage legalized nationwide (US)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Harc

Big Hog
Well my fellow Americans, as of June 26th, 2015, the Supreme Court has ruled in favor of same sex marriage, allowing same sex marriage in any of the 50 states. People happy, and people upset, what say you about the recent event in modern American History? As a heterosexual teenager, a Conservative, an atheist (I don't hate religion.), and as a future soldier, I believe that it is a great thing that love between the same genders is lawfully seen as love, though the whole involvement of religion makes me think hard about what the "separation of church and state" really means in the eyes of the federal government.

Harc

Big Hog
The seperation of Church and State is more literal (no pastors or such clergy in positions of power) but asking anyone to distance themselves from their opinions and biases is impossible.

But it is a good day, these days any progress is better than the backlog clog we usually have.
I'm sure problems will arise, we'll have to wait and see.

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
@Skies is right.

In my view religion is something personal and should not be used in governing a country; "The bible/other holy book says: (read: what I interpreted) is X-subject. So we make a law to enforce/ban X-subject". I think that is also a violation of the separation of Church and State. Like the pastor in a position of power in the state.

I think the best example is the medieval times in Europe, when the Church was the most powerful organ in society. And to keep that from happening again, said separation is needed.

About the same-sex marriage thing, I heard on it the radio and I kinda cheered. Then followed by a thought: "About damn time". I'm surprised people are still upset about it, but I guess there'll always be people who just don't agree.

This morning someone on my newsfeed posted that same-sex marriage was legalized in April 2001 here, which I also found quite late.. And The Netherlands was the first in the world :eek:

Harc

Big Hog
@Skies is right.

In my view religion is something personal and should not be used in governing a country; "The bible/other holy book says: (read: what I interpreted) is X-subject. So we make a law to enforce/ban X-subject". I think that is also a violation of the separation of Church and State. Like the pastor in a position of power in the state.

I think the best example is the medieval times in Europe, when the Church was the most powerful organ in society. And to keep that from happening again, said separation is needed.

About the same-sex marriage thing, I heard on it the radio and I kinda cheered. Then followed by a thought: "About damn time". I'm surprised people are still upset about it, but I guess there'll always be people who just don't agree.

This morning someone on my newsfeed posted that same-sex marriage was legalized in April 2001 here, which I also found quite late.. And The Netherlands was the first in the world :eek:
I agree about the whole separation thing, according to what I read, a religious establishment can be lawfully attacked (sued) for not marrying a same sex couple, which to me sounds quite obsurd, seeing that the people themselves should be allowed to deny service to anyone they see fit for their own reasons.

And yes! Finally! I learned that The Netherlands was the first to legalize same sex marriage via Tiësto's Instagram post on the matter :D

Kyzie

Keeper of the peace
It's about damn time, the same sex marriage debate has been going back and forth for years, it's good to finally see that your government is happy to give equality to same sex couples as well as opposite sex, and not just the latter.

Now what I'm really hoping for is that the fact that the US legalised same sex marriage may push the debate in Australia forward, the PM really has to be feeling the pressure now but I'm not sure he'll crack. Same sex marriage was legalised in the Australian Capital Territory for a week back in 2013 which was seen as a big win by everyone and then the PM went to the High Court and got it struck down, even though his own sister is a proud lesbian.

So I just hope that he really takes the hint that we need to move forward as a nation and stop living in the past and behind the words of a book of which in my opinion belongs in the fiction section.

But just you wait there will be Christian lobbyists that go against marriage equality in Australia and the PM will probably do what they say, so I also strongly believe that religion and state should never mix, laws need to stop being made based off of religions because there is more than one religion in this world and you're going to upset more than a few people if you make laws that everyone has to follow that has come from a religion you don't believe in, so just make it that laws have nothing to do with religion and everyone will be happy (well most decent people anyway)

Sorry for my rant

hershangames

About the religious part, I totally agree that the law and the government should have nothing to do with it. Religious is something completely subjective, there's people who believe in it, people who don't, and over everything, there are lots of different beliefs. So if you're gonna make a law, do it objectively and forget about the whole religious crap(if there's someone religious here, please note that I mean no offense).

And about the same sex marriage, I honestly can't understand why people make such a fuss about it. People should be able to marry whoever they wantwant as long as the other person agrees. It doesn't affect anyone but the married couple, so there really is no reason someone should disagree with it.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

General Charles Xander

General of the 11th Imperial Legion
I didn't even know about it until I went on Facebook! :D
That just shows how much I keep up with things.

But I will be honest. In no way am I against it, but it is a little unsettling for me. But that is just my inner conservative showing. I'm all about change and renovation, it was just sudden for me. :p
The feeling will pass like most.

But congratulations to the individuals following this up. It's a grand day for America and one step closer to serenity.

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
I didn't even know about it until I went on Facebook! :D
That just shows how much I keep up with things.

But I will be honest. In no way am I against it, but it is a little unsettling for me. But that is just my inner conservative showing. I'm all about change and renovation, it was just sudden for me. :p
The feeling will pass like most.

But congratulations to the individuals following this up. It's a grand day for America and one step closer to serenity.

Not to start a fight, but how is it unsettling? I think like this: A man is gay; why would I care? I am not into men. So it makes no difference what that man likes to me. The only let down I could experience is that a girl I like turns out to be into women. And at that point I can only agree with her :D

Wow, it's funny, I heard that it was finally legal nationwide and to be honest - I didn't believe it. It was such a shock. I've since learned that it did in fact happen and I'm thrilled. Should have happened much much sooner, though. And as for the whole separation of church and state, it's my personal opinion that marriage equality would have happened much sooner if not for the influence the churches still have over the government. Why else did it take so long to pass? It's because they were protesting to loudly about it. :/ I'm not anti-religious by any means, though; I'm a Pentecostal Christian and bisexual as well. I just think certain people - I like to call them zealots because to me they're not being very good Christians - shouldn't be acting like that. Gives Christianity a bad name.
Anyway though, yeah it's a great thing! I'm very happy! I was starting to worry same sex marriage wouldn't ever be legalized, or atleast not in my lifetime. Oh speaking of that, did anyone else hear about that bakery in the South that wouldn't make a cake for a same sex marriage couple? They went out of business recently. Ironic right? :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-The Ice Queen-

Rightful Queen of Skyrim
For me, as a Christian and a Libertarian, the problem is not that it was legalized, but how. I believe the Supreme Court should have stayed out of it and left the states to decide whether or not they wanted it. If all 50 states had legalized it on their own, all well and good, but the federal government doing all that? Too much power for my liking.

My opinion, of course.

-The Ice Queen-

Rightful Queen of Skyrim
Wait. I thought that business actually recovered from that. Or am I talking about the pizza place?

Reactions: Sah

Kyzie

Keeper of the peace
The law was passed as constitutional, and I'm sure you wouldn't be saying that if this was the interracial marriage debate, so if the federal government can't make federal laws what's the point of it's existence? May as well let the 50 States make up all of their own laws. The federal government did what was needed to be done, not every state would've agreed otherwise, and if they did it would've taken a long time.

Last edited:
Wait. I thought that business actually recovered from that. Or am I talking about the pizza place?

I was talking about the one that refused to make a cake for the couples' marriage ceremony. It was a bakery, I believe.
Also I agree with you about the Supreme Court going a tad overboard. However, the States themselves weren't being very co-operative about doing so on their own. So I have mixed feelings. On one hand I would hope that eventually the individual States would have come to a consensus of some type, and that the Supreme Court would not have had to step in. But on the other I am not sure they ever would have. Still, it could have been handled differently than the way they did it. Instead of overriding everyone, maybe they could have urged them in the right direction somehow. I don't know. :/ All in the name of progress I guess..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sah

Aerinir Lord Magister...............Well my fellow Americans, as of June 26th, 2015, the Supreme Court has ruled in favor of same sex marriage

scratching her head :confused:......looking at the 50.000 T-shirts o_O.....*YES TO SAME SEX MARRIAGE IN US*........what am I going to do with these now??????:mad:
grabs a texture;).......puts a line through US :eek:.....and writes............*YES TO SAME SEX MARRIAGE IN AUSTRALIA*.......hello Tony :p

NOTE: Sah is not from US but Australia

Kyzie

Keeper of the peace
Haha that's what I'm waiting for as well Sah, as a fellow Australian. Also we need to get rid of Tony completely but whatever :p

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
For me, as a Christian and a Libertarian, the problem is not that it was legalized, but how. I believe the Supreme Court should have stayed out of it and left the states to decide whether or not they wanted it. If all 50 states had legalized it on their own, all well and good, but the federal government doing all that? Too much power for my liking.

My opinion, of course.

This is exactly why the Supreme Court has to make the law. It's in my view ridiculous that a state would be able to deny it's people from a basic freedom. Sometimes, something needs to be forced. And I think this law is an example of it. Sure, it's not very democratic because it has been decided for the people now.

Maybe a weird comparison, but gay people don't choose to be gay. So why would the state get the choice to allow straight marriage and deny gay marriage?

-The Ice Queen-

Rightful Queen of Skyrim

My opinion, of course.

This is exactly why the Supreme Court has to make the law. It's in my view ridiculous that a state would be able to deny it's people from a basic freedom. Sometimes, something needs to be forced. And I think this law is an example of it. Sure, it's not very democratic because it has been decided for the people now.

Maybe a weird comparison, but gay people don't choose to be gay. So why would the state get the choice to allow straight marriage and deny gay marriage?
Welcome to American politics, Nyoxios, where everyday you want to punch certain politicians in the face! No, wait, you want to punch all of them! ;)

Now, to return to the subject at hand. The underlying point I was trying to make (and did so rather ambiguously, I apologize) was that if the SC can do this, what else might they try to legalize? What happens when you have certain people in certain seats of government pass something that can literally split a nation in two? Call me paranoid, but that concerns me.

Oh, and the vote was 5-4, in favor, for those of you who are wondering.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts