Info RP'ers READ! Suggestion: RP'er Resume & Buddy/Mentor System

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

What do you think would help the RP community on these forums?

• I believe the resume is a great idea. It can help form a good roster and keep a game alive.

Votes: 8 61.5%
    • I believe the resume is a good idea. However there could be some conflict and in fighting.

Votes: 5 38.5%
    • I believe the resume can help some, but not all problems. I like my idea. (Please give idea below)

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • I think the resume is a horrible idea. Allowing someone(s) to control reputation is a bad idea.

Votes: 1 7.7%
    • I have a different idea entirely. (Please give idea down below)

• I have an idea to add to the Buddy system. (Please give idea down below)

• I like the idea of a Buddy system.

Votes: 6 46.2%
    • I do not like the idea of a buddy system/I have something better. (Please give idea down below)

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Dabiene Caristiana

Your friendly neighborhood weirdo
    The day the poll closes I'll put up a buddy/mentor thread. :)

Dabiene Caristiana

Buddy/mentor system is just like it sounds. People that want to offer themselves as mentors will be listed as 'mentors'. They can teach anything from how to write proper sentences, proper grammar, etc, as well as anything to do with character developing.

For buddy lists, a person who is looking for a mentor can request to be signed up. There, mentors can look at the list as well as what the mentee wants to focus on.

For example, Bob is Joe's mentor. Joe wants to work on character development and sentence structure. Bob then helps him with those things. It can be done by joining the same roleplays, or doing private roleplays with the mentor, or the mentor can simply answer any questions Joe has.

Hope that explains it.

As far as the resume is concerned, Unfortunately it doesn't look like it'll be done. There was hardly any discussion despite a decent amount of people voting for it. With one person saying nay and not giving any reason for it.

Thus, that says that either people just aren't passionate enough for giving opinions and helping the idea along, or they just don't care.

Either way, the idea will be placed aside for another day I suppose.

dunklunk

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
    Dabiene, I do applaud your efforts. Big time! That said, I don't think any of this is gonna take flight. Seems you were right with what you wrote in an earlier post in this thread. Namely, people don't care or are detached from the RP scene. And, this site ain't as active as it used to be.

>cue Metallica's Sad But True. . . .<

Dabiene Caristiana

Dabiene, I do applaud your efforts. Big time! That said, I don't think any of this is gonna take flight. Seems you were right with what you wrote in an earlier post in this thread. Namely, people don't care or are detached from the RP scene. And, this site ain't as active as it used to be.

>cue Metallica's Sad But True. . . .<

Thank you. And honestly, I doubt the buddy/mentor system will take off either. So I guess it's a no to both of them. But if anyone really does wanna do the buddy system they can make a thread about it and people can post/talk about it there.

Otherwise, the forums are just too dead to do anything about it. Shame that. The domain name doesn't help at all since the game is 4-5 years old now. It's history pretty much.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
    I would be happy to be a Mentor. If the RP section gained some sort of interest and momentum again. While I am currently not interested in participating in an Rp I would be happy to answer any questions/offer any advice to anyone who wanted it. Via PM of course.

I thought that the thread had some good ideas. I have been somewhat disillusioned by how RP's seem to start out all gung-ho and then quickly fizzle out. People make promises they don't or can't keep. It's the way things go unfortunately. For me personally, I would now only start an RP with trusted, committed members who don't make empty promises.

Dabiene Caristiana

I'm currently thinking of starting a roleplay atm. I'm going to be very picky on who I choose for members of it. Since I don't want it to die. Not to mention I'll be cracking my whip. I'll probably end up like:

"Ooooh, you're one of THOSE crazy bitches."

"Yes, and I'm freaking here to stay SO POST NOW GOSH DARN IT."

:p

And thanks for the Rep Drunk :)

Balomew

Nocte Aeterna will be creating a roleplay thread in the likely very near future. We're working on it together and have the basic plot solidified. I'm crazy about having fantastic participants, especially experienced ones, but the problem is that life gets in my way so much that I end up being the one going quiet for just a little while. I'm not disappearing this time around, though.
    As far as mentors/buddies go, I've been requested on several occasions (and just recently by a good friend) to help with roleplaying (or, in my friend's case, make a CC - to which I told him that he needs to do that himself). Thing is, I've never mentored anyone before and wouldn't know what to do. I use websites for guidance (Call of Time, namely). The rest comes up on it's own - it's like your character is born with life.

Dabiene Caristiana

Mentor-ship is usually sharing experience and give out ideas. It's just to help the new rp'er get more confidence and knowledge on how to do it. But anyway.

I may start working soon, the 1st if all goes well. So with that on top of roleplays I'll be plenty busy. Also, seeing my home state burn alive is so depressing and reading many stories of sections calling for help but no one coming because they are spread so thin already, made me have have resolve to possibly help. The State is for the first time in History asking for civilian/volunteer help. I'm tempted to do it.

Bottom line is, I don't think anyone can be prepared for anything in life. Especially in regards to setting aside time for RP'ing. Best thing to do is setting up scenarios and solutions to what happens. That, and be strict on players for not keeping up the pace, and hardly having any excuse for not being active. Posting at MOST takes about 45 min-1 hour from my experience. But that's in only special cases. And I type decently fast.

Nocte Aeterna

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Film
    I have years of RP experience, so I've learned to mold my life around RP time sometimes. When you RP with even one person, you bear an obligation to post quality replies in a timely manner. Balo and I have been discussing various plot ideas for this upcoming RP, and we're doing a fine job of solidifying them. We both have new RP character fresh off our mental conveyor belts, and we should be ready to roll in the coming days. All that remains is me posting an OOC/interest thread with a brief introductory prologue post thing.

As for the mentorship, yes, I think it would be a wonderful idea. I think all hopeful mentors should be veterans of the trade, much like myself and Balomew (and fellowknight; the guy is a fantastic writer). Basic RP etiquette should be taught, as well as pointers on plot construction, progression, and post quality. You know, like a typical creative writing workshop with a distinctive SF twist.

Keep me posted if you decide to do anything with this, Dabiene. I'm on board.

Ponder

International Man of Mystery
    Mentoring is a good idea, but the forum doesn't draw enough new members to really validate a coordinated endeavor. Probably, as Dabiene mentioned, because Skyrim is several years old. It just doesn't generate as much interest now.

With that in mind, having a mentoring program might draw more users. But if we're really looking for a more lively Roleplaying community, migrating to a new domain might be the way to go.

And Dabiene, I feel for you. I live in Seattle, but I was in Wenatchee just after Bluebird burned down, and things were pretty intense. I can only imagine what it's like on the other side of the Cascades now.

Last edited:

Balomew

The concept of moving to a new domain reminds me of a conversation that Nocte and I had once, perhaps a month or two ago. We both agreed that the forums (this was before we both got busy roleplaying with others) was getting very quiet and sparse of members. We considered creating a new website, but it's so much work (in my opinion, since I don't have much experience creating good websites), plus paying a monthly fee wasn't (and still isn't) an option for me. I don't think that people have lost interest in Skyrim, per-se - it's still an insanely popular game, perhaps the most so. But people have left this site and never came back, and perhaps we didn't get any new members to fill in those gaps.

Dabiene Caristiana

A member on this site left for undisclosed reasons. She then set up a website and sent out invitations to 'good roleplayers' to the new site dedicated to roleplaying or fanfiction writing. Several members including myself lost interest after a while. I have no idea what became of the site.

As for the mentor/buddy idea, it's still alive but I'll think about it and let you guys know.

Dabiene Caristiana

And Dabiene, I feel for you. I live in Seattle, but I was in Wenatchee just after Bluebird burned down, and things were pretty intense. I can only imagine what it's like on the other side of the Cascades now.

Let me put it this way.

It looks like hell sprouted and took over earth.

In some shots, it looks like middle earth, with mordor coming to life. The sky is on fire, the ash is everywhere, and everything looks lifeless.

Where I live it's all smokey. It's a little better today, but last night as my dad and I were coming from an appointment from another town, the town we were living in looked...

dead.

Like instead of smog or fog from Sleepy Hollow, it was all smoke. The town has a bad economy already with stores shutting down steadily. So it already is starting to die. Now it just looks like... ick.

If we do go through with the buddy system it'll have to be a stickied thread. However... I don't know where the mod for the RP section is at the moment.

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
    Let me put it this way.

It looks like hell sprouted and took over earth.

In some shots, it looks like middle earth, with mordor coming to life. The sky is on fire, the ash is everywhere, and everything looks lifeless.

Where I live it's all smokey. It's a little better today, but last night as my dad and I were coming from an appointment from another town, the town we were living in looked...

dead.

Like instead of smog or fog from Sleepy Hollow, it was all smoke. The town has a bad economy already with stores shutting down steadily. So it already is starting to die. Now it just looks like... ick.

If we do go through with the buddy system it'll have to be a stickied thread. However... I don't know where the mod for the RP section is at the moment.

That sounds scary as fluff :eek:
    About the town dying, you could open your own shop :p

As for the buddy system, you know I'm supporting it. Still believe that's the way to make sure new rp'ers have a solid start and with that more chance to stick around.

Balomew

Note to self: if it's 12am+ and you feel like you're going to pass out, then get your stupid ass to bed and sleep for nine hours. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Anyways. I've been thinking, Dabiene (nearly called you Duane there - next name for character? Hm.. could that be a female name?). I do that a lot - sit on my chair, stare at my monitor, and do nothing but think. I considered writing articles for the SF forums, but I don't have any experience actually writing articles. I feel like I'd be good at it - exceptionally good once I get a roll. But I have no idea what I'd write about.
    While I was thinking about this, I thought about your mentoring system. I have a knack for making plopsloads of new characters that aren't, in my own words, half bad. I care for character and plot development, and yet I find it hard to not abandon threads/stories (what I call active projects - that's my flaw, that I can't stay with the program easily or for very long before I lose interest, faith or courage). I also love lore, even though I'm no lore expert. I was thinking that maybe mentoring about characters might be a good idea for me.

Is anyone else here interested in mentoring (still)?

Nocte Aeterna

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Film
    I am interested. I'm pretty certain I can log onto here at least once per day despite my busy schedule, so I'm not worried.

Dabiene Caristiana

Alright, alright. I'll post up a Mentor/Buddy thread. :p

I would have to keep it on the front page though by bumping it since it can't be stickied. Which is a pain. But if it's going to be a used then I'll be happy to make it.

Making it now.

Dabiene Caristiana

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts