RP-Friendly Way of Introducing Smithing?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
I want my current RP character to at some point pick up smithing, as to this point I have avoided smithing in my hardcore restrictions. My character's backstory doesn't include smithing at all, so I can't just start doing it all of a sudden, which brings me to my question: what would be a RP-friendly way for my character to "learn" smithing? I've been considering maybe a combination of paid training and smithing some basic weapons and armor over the course of an in-game week or two, and after that I would allow myself to smith the occasional weapons or armor, but I mostly want to be able to upgrade my Dawnguard shield and armor, as well as my scimitar and crossbow, to be able to use them for higher levels. Also, what would be a good smithing perk to stop investing in at that would keep my upgraded gear from being OP? I don't want to go past maybe three perks invested.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Well when you first start the game you get a sort of introduction to smithing when you talk with a blacksmith. Could always work that into your RP. Then decide who the better blacksmiths are and spend some time apprenticing under different ones as your skill improves.

Doc-Z

I've got game....now GO FISH!
Well when you first start (.../ /...) introduction to smithing (.../ /...) Then decide who the better blacksmiths are and spend some time apprenticing under different ones as your skill improves.

So, does your smithing skill improve differently from one Blacksmith to another? If so, this is all NEWS to me! If this -IS- true, does this same skill increase hold true from Alchimist to another and all of the other skill improvements AND what a CRaZy but STELLAR aspect of the game (I can't decide between a question or exclamation mark ) ?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Doc-Z

I never paid attention to this. That's pretty cool! Still, I thought after a level 90 (or so) you could no longer purchase training in any one skill. Also, you can only improve to a level 100 in any one category, no matter who you go to, minus any enchantment, spell or other perk / detriment...of course.

So if you went to Eorlund Gray-Mane in Whiterun or Balimund in Riften, it makes no difference in the end as to whom you saw...OR DOES IT?

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
So, does your smithing skill improve differently from one Blacksmith to another? If so, this is all NEWS to me! If this -IS- true, does this same skill increase hold true from Alchimist to another and all of the other skill improvements AND what a CRaZy but STELLAR aspect of the game (I can't decide between a question or exclamation mark ) ?!?!?!?!?!?!?

That's not what he means. We're talking ROLE-PLAYING here. Aside from a maximum-training level, all smiths that provide in-game training are equal.

From an RP perspective: You could individually rank each smith in the game, perhaps starting with Riverwood as the lowest (since you meet him first), to perhaps Eorlund Gray-Mane as the best since he runs the Skyforge (and many around Skyrim consider him the best). Additional points for those tasked with supplying armor/weapons to troops (Solitude & Windhelm).... just need to think about it.

Personally, I don't incorporate heavy smithing into my RPs. To me, it's something that takes a lifetime of learning to truly master, not something that can be taught in a matter of in-game days/weeks/months. At most, I'd take Arcane Blacksmithing. I will buy all materials for improving my gear from the in-game blacksmiths, use those items to improve my gear, but RP it as the Blacksmith did it for me. I'll then leave a sizable amount of gold in a nearby barrel as a 'fee' for their service.

To me, RPs aren't about creating god-like characters, it's about doing as much as you can with as little as you can.

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
So if you went to Eorlund Gray-Mane in Whiterun or Balimund in Riften, it makes no difference in the end as to whom you saw...OR DOES IT?

Do you mean in overall skill increase? Or per train? I don't really know if Adept to Master makes a difference as far as the increase per training session, but the different skill titles mean they can train up to a certain level.

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
Personally, I don't incorporate heavy smithing into my RPs. To me, it's something that takes a lifetime of learning to truly master, not something that can be taught in a matter of in-game days/weeks/months. At most, I'd take Arcane Blacksmithing. I will buy all materials for improving my gear from the in-game blacksmiths, use those items to improve my gear, but RP it as the Blacksmith did it for me. I'll then leave a sizable amount of gold in a nearby barrel as a 'fee' for their service.

To me, RPs aren't about creating god-like characters, it's about doing as much as you can with as little as you can

I don't plan on incorporating heavy smithing, I just want to keep my gear a little "up-to-date" as I level up, Dawnguard is one of my character's priorities right now, and it could be for a while, so I'd just like to keep that armor relevant in a sense, and it would make some sense for my character to take up smithing, since in his backstory he was robbed and then found himself in Skyrim with no way out, so he'd have to be self-sufficient to a point.

Doc-Z

To me, RPs aren't about creating god-like characters, it's about doing as much as you can with as little as you can.

OK. One could only hope. Still, this could be an interesting aspect of future games. If you go to one person and apprentice under them, you will learn various thinks and quirks specific to that character. If you go to someone completely different, then the quirks will be different. Sort of lie in real life. depending on the life experiences of YOUR teacher, will influence YOU on what you are taught.

Being everyone person is completely and totally different, then how YOU develop as a person (or in the game as a character) will vary as well. I wonder if Bethesda would OR could do this in the next "Elder Scrolls" game.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
I don't plan on incorporating heavy smithing, I just want to keep my gear a little "up-to-date" as I level up, Dawnguard is one of my character's priorities right now, and it could be for a while, so I'd just like to keep that armor relevant in a sense, and it would make some sense for my character to take up smithing, since in his backstory he was robbed and then found himself in Skyrim with no way out, so he'd have to be self-sufficient to a point.

I have yet to play into the Dawnguard-side of that DLC, but is there a Smith within the DG?

Edit: NVM, did some research, there's Gunmar - Master level Smith Trainer.

180px-SR-npc-Gunmar.jpg

DovahCap

The one cube to rule them all.
I have yet to play into the Dawnguard-side of that DLC, but is there a Smith within the DG?

Edit: NVM, did some research, there's Gunmar - Master level Smith Trainer.

180px-SR-npc-Gunmar.jpg

This isn't RP related, but if you pay Gunmar too much for Smithing, he won't give you money when you sell things to him, or something along those lines. Wierd glitchy type thing.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts