• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Stigweard Ruadhan

Jeg er stolt. Jeg er sterk.

Baelor

Before discovering this forum, I didn't really have a plan for my character in Skyrim. I kind of started with the mindset of "I'm going to do everything possible regardless of morals, character intent, etc". Games that I've played before were much more black & white, like Fable 3, for instance. You're either good or bad, period. But with Skyrim, there is more gray area, and more options for what you can have your character do.

Since I'm not too terribly far into the game, I figure I can probably start trying to immerse myself into roleplaying now, versus running around doing everything like a friggin' maniac. So as I'm thinking about who my character IS and who I want her to BE, I'm left scratching my head. Preferably, I'd like her to be inherently "good", a dark elf refugee bent on proving her worth, and telling Ulfric that he can shut his damn mouth with his "Nords are the best" propaganda. She's already joined the Imperials, the College of Winterhold, and I haven't done any Dark Brotherhood or Thieves Guild quests, though I did join the Companions (not sure if they lean towards good/evil). Even though I am satisfied with what she has done so far, I'm left wondering if I'm missing out on really cool parts of the game by not doing certain quests or joining certain guilds. I'm also not sure where to go from here to reinforce her personality. Bear in mind this is my first play-through, so I'm just trying to figure this out as I go along.

TL;DR?

• Will I be missing out on anything if I decide to create a roleplaying character with a certain personality/moral compass?
  • What can I do to make the roleplaying experience more enjoyable, and make it feel more "real"/immersive?
  • How do you stick to who your character is, given the variety of options/quests in the game?
  • Do you find that the main quest takes away from your character's personality?
  • How did you get started with roleplaying a certain character?
  • What little things do you do during the game that brings your character to life?
  • If you play a "good" character, how do you rationalize killing people?

Basically, I'm kind of a noob when it comes to this, so I just need/want as much help as possible. Playing through with a true RP character seems like a lot of fun, based on what I've read on this site. Plus I eventually want to participate in a RP story on the forum, but I feel like I don't really know enough yet to do it "right".

As you said, you don't need to do every single thing on one character. If you are worried about missing out on certain parts of the game, make another character. Have that character follow a different path. I've done this quite a bit since I started roleplaying and it has made this game so much more enjoyable.

kyleekay

I started a new Khajiit build... once I refine it (and her back story) a little bit, I'll post the details here. Any help/tips/suggestions once posted will be appreciated. :)

kyleekay

I'm working on typing up her backstory now (I have an idea for it) and then I will post it for ya. :)

kyleekay

You're a mod now, Luther Pundragon... why dont'cha make the alerts work with your newfound powers? ;)

I'm just ironing out some details... looking forward to getting some feedback and helping to expand the story.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Oh bah! Things probably listen less to me now that I'm a mod! And I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
Oh bah! Things probably listen less to me now that I'm a mod! And I can't wait to see what you come up with!
I listen less to you now that you're a mod... :D

I've never played a Kajhiit, so I'm curious to see what you come up with kyleekay. I don't even know what they're good at as a race lol. Except now this is what I'm thinking of:
kitty-soft-kitty-the-big-bang-theory-tiger-Favim.com-347601.jpg

kyleekay

Okay, sorry this took so long. BIG, BIG thanks to AS88 for helping me iron some of this stuff out (particularly Lore and perk related issues). I had already created a Khajiit last night, but upon being informed that the prefix I chose was incorrect for my character, I'll be restarting her tonight. Tell me what you think, and what other refining could be done.

**Bear in mind that since this is my first RP, I am trying to keep it somewhat simple. You'll notice that I'll be allowing myself to do a lot of things with easy rationalization. I will be having her eat food 2x per day. After hunting, provided there's an inn nearby, she'll stop in for a drink and to socialize. She'll be taking on many local quests to fill time and gain gold.**

Weapons:
· Daggers
· Bow
· Unarmed
· Light Armor

Perks: Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them!

Personality:
· Unconcerned with thoughts of Dragons, doesn't fully believe in existence (likely no main quest following-- Stealing the idea that Helgen was a bad Moon Sugar trip from AS88 :p)
· Vengeful
· Taste for killing (has heard rumors of DB)
· Sneaky
· Reads as much as possible, especially history books
· thief (Activated thief stone)
· alchemist
· Will kill Imperials on site if she can avoid a bounty
· Will fraternize (and enter the cities) with those aligned with the Empire, provided they can help her and that they aren’t Imperial Soldiers
· Prefers to make her own weapons and potions
· Distaste for magic, but will use enchanted items if it helps her and her cause
· Friendly towards Forsworn
· Has heard rumors of the Thieves Guild and the fortune they can help bring her
· Plans to join the Stormcloaks

Favorites:
· Apples
· Meat
· Mead/Alcohol
Backstory:

Dar'Ajira grew up with her mother and father in the wilderness near Falkreath, avoiding the darkened eyes that fell upon her family whenever they came near the gated cities. Her father, S’Zahr, was a hunter. Her mother, S’Tsani, a proficient alchemist. When Dar’Ajira was about 10 years old, her father embarked on a hunting trip, in the direction of Markarth. Days and days passed, each more tense than the last. Finally after nearly two weeks of awaiting his return, S’Tsani decided to go out and search for him, telling Ajira to stay put. Ajira knew she had no choice but to follow; her mother was a kind soul, and would surely hide the truth of whatever she found. Ajira followed her mother in the shadows (her parents never could find her during childhood games of hide and seek), and picked up fruit, berries, and killed small animals along the way for sustenance. After two days and one night of walking, Ajira watched her mother fall to the ground in grief; she had been following a faint trail of blood, which led to a discovery she never would have dreamt of. Ajira’s father was found dead, with only the torn remains of Imperial armor surrounding him, and his own dagger in his chest. To S’Tsani, this only cemented her belief that the wretched Imperials hated their Kind. Before Ajira could stop her, her mother entered Markarth, ignoring the guard’s cries of “Oy! Milk Drinker! You are not welcome here!”. Armed with nothing but a well-worn dagger and a few potions, she continued on in order to enact vengeance for Zhar’s death. Ajira crept behind her, tense, avoiding the guards as best she could. Tsani finally slowed; unsure of what was to come, Ajira watched on fearfully. Tsani approached a group of Imperial Soldiers, who were sharing a drink and a laugh. Tsani asked one question as she approached: “Why?”; one soldier, who seemed to know what Tsani was speaking of, replied: “He was a Thalmor informant, no?” as he reached for his battle-dulled sword… Ajira watched in horror, as she realized their journey was all for naught. Her mother fought valiantly, but was overcome by the weapons of the soldier. The soldiers left the area, laughing. Had they not realized they now the blood of two unnecessary deaths in their ledgers? Ajira approached her mother’s body, and was filled with grief, but also a sense of purpose. She would enact vengeance upon the Imperial scum who orphaned her, over false claims. She would train hard in the years to come, acquire companions who could aide her in building her strength, and she would embark upon her journey to join the Stormcloaks filled with self-serving purpose and little regard for those who could not help her along the way.

FlickerWick

El. Psy. Congroo.
I like it! Sadly, I can't rep as I have to give it to a bunch of other people first. :sadface:

If she's so hellbent on revenge, why not go down the vampire route? She could've read about them and their incredible powers in one of her books as a child - perhaps they've always piqued her interest. Think of it as a weapon that'll help you on your quest to get the Imperials back...it'd more than justify becoming one.

kyleekay

Don't worry about the rep, glad you like it. :)

As for the Vampire route, I feel like turning into one would go against her distaste for Magic. When I picture her in my head, she does use enchanted weapons/items if found, but isn't necessarily happy about it; she views it as necessary evil, so to speak. So I feel like if she turned into a Vamp she'd end up hating herself for being under that Magic umbrella in a way.

Might take Miss Tally-Wa on that route, though. Could be interesting. :)

Also, Luther Pundragon ... come hither and see my story!

kyleekay

I like that idea a lot, actually. :D I'll definitely be working that in.

There's a pickpocket perk where you can put poison into people's pockets, right? (Holy crap that was a lot of "P's" :p) Maybe Dar'Ajira will be sneaking into some Imperial camps for some stealthy poisoning as well...

FlickerWick

El. Psy. Congroo.
I like that idea a lot, actually. :D I'll definitely be working that in.

There's a pickpocket perk where you can put poison into people's pockets, right? (Holy crap that was a lot of "P's" :p) Maybe Dar'Ajira will be sneaking into some Imperial camps for some stealthy poisoning as well...

Reverse pick-pocketing frenzy poisons is absolutely hilarious. Definitely worth the perk.

3pkl1y.jpg

Hargood

Defender of Helpless Kittens

I keep laughing that Uther changed his name to Luther Pundragon LOL!

but anywho, I never thought I was a roleplayer, but I'm starting to Realize maybe I am. :eek:

I always have liked playing the Good Guy character in Elder scrolls games strictly to save every NPC I could. (Usually in a Elderscrolls game, killing an NPC is killing a Quest Giver/Quest Turn it)

But I do have alot of fun with being a Crusader as my main. (ES name for a "Paladin" type upto now) There has been so much discussion on "Paladin Builds" for a character, but the truth is you can't build a Paladin, you have to "Play" a Paladin. (Just like anything, Assassin, Rouge, etc) I try to let NO one die, ever. I have that lil ol' "Heal Other" spell Hotkeyed on "4" just for when Dragons attack a city. I Didn't get into Brynjolfs little scheme, and destroyed the Dark Brotherhood. Also from playing these games I know not to get into ANY Daedric Princes little taunts/tricks/situations. I will admit that some of them are extremely tricky your first time playing but I knew well enough to not Seek out Morlag Bal, I knew to say "See ya" at the First Sight of Barbas saying "Heya!", and know well enough not to associate with anyone who has a deep Passion for relics from "The Mythic Dawn" cult.

Healing/Fighter build?... Anyone can have a Healing spell. Just because someone has a Healing spell mean's nothing at that point. He could only be using it to help heal the Bear that is chewing apart a villager while watching with glee... that doesn't make him a "Paladin" because of his build.

I do want to say something wierd I've been doing. Ever since I got a Craftable Candles Mod, I've been making shrines to fallen people. I mostly do it for an innocent bystander I come across, and sometimes Bandits. (because Bandits have mothers that will miss them too). I also always have an Amulet of one of the Divines on me (cause I never sell those suckers) and there is always a bowl or plate around to place offerings to Akray to "Guide this spirit home".
ritual1_zps5d189bbf.jpg
ritual2_zps854e309b.jpg

So am I a Roleplayer?

...or just need serious, serious help? :sadface:

kyleekay

Hargood, d'aww. You sound so sweet. :)

I'm new to the RP game, but sounds to me like you're roleplaying for sure. Like you said "But I do have alot of fun with being a Crusader as my main."... You're RP'ing a Crusader. :)

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
LMAO not gonna lie Hargood I'm mildly creeped out...it looks like you're preparing to perform the Black Sacrament...over and over and over....:D

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts