• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

Skyrimosity

Spoiler: This Fan-fic will include the questline of Skyrim's Civil War although the questline itself shall be changed for the sake of a better fan-fic.

Info: The cities described in this fan-fic will be considerably larger than they are depicted in Skyrim and the population of Skyrim will be much larger as well. Therefore, the battles will be on a much larger scale than the battles shown in Skyrim. Dragonborn, Alduin, and all quest-lines besides Civil War are non-existent.

Prologue:​
Edwyn was an average Breton in High Rock living with his family. He loved his family a great deal even though he had to start working at a very young age so they had enough food to survive. His mother was a very happy, outgoing person who spread joy where she could and his father was an amateur mage who taught Edwyn the very basics in Conjuration magic. They lived a happy life for many years but feared the Thalmor because they enforced the law that none shall worship Talos.​
Then, when Edwyn was around fifteen years old, his parents packed everything and they had to quickly relocate to the land of Skyrim, a cold harsh world where the living was unbearable at times. Edwyn knew they had to leave High Rock because the Thalmor had discovered their secret worship, but he hated the harsh lands of Skyrim so much that it didn't really matter much to him at the time. Edwyn and his family moved around, always trying to avoid the Thalmor Patrols which dotted the land. They had lived in many different towns and cities. Then, after many close run-ins with Thalmor Patrols, they built a cabin secluded in the vast woods near Ivarstead where they thought they could live peacefully off the land of Skyrim for harsh years to follow.​
One day, after Edwyn had been out hunting elk to provide meat, he came home to a house of ash. He hadn't thought the Thalmor would be able to reach his family out here. He pondered what had been the source of the fire when he noticed a note on a nearby tree. He walked over to it and was shocked to see what was written on it. The note read: "They are dead. You will be soon." He knew only the Thalmor could be responsible.​
Edwyn heard tales of the Stormcloak rebels, a group fighting for the worship of Talos in Skyrim. Edwyn decided to travel at the age of twenty-two to the city of Windhelm, where he would join the Stormcloaks and help free Skyrim from the tyrant rule of the Dominion by removing the Dominion's puppet, the Empire. Or die trying.​
(Please feel free to tell me what you think.)​

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
Pretty good. I think it would probably be better if you hiked the emotion - as it is, it kind of reads like an encyclopedia entry, almost. (Just trying to help out :) )

Hotty Squirrel

GENOCIDE JUNKIE!
it was a good imagination of what the character would have done if the thalmor was harming his family, the drive and determination to free the one land his family thought would be safe from the thalmor would push him to the point to joining the stormcloacks to free this Skyrim.

Skyrimosity

Pretty good. I think it would probably be better if you hiked the emotion - as it is, it kind of reads like an encyclopedia entry, almost. (Just trying to help out :) )
The emotions of Edwyn shall be described in much greater detail once the actual Fan-fic writing begins when I start Chapter 1 (hopefully tomorrow)

It's pretty good! I hope you continue to kick ass with your fanfic!

M'aiqaelF

Male, 32 years old, Denver area, CO
I like it, good back story, a great set up for a character and open ended as well.

Docta Corvina

Yeah, nice start, Sky! :) I agree with Bulba's suggestion about more emotion in the character(s), but you've presented his motivation clearly and a summary of his history. So that's good!

dunklunk

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
Agree with everyone above me, Sky. What I like about your fanfic is how your focus is on one thing, namely the Civil War. You're pretty much leaving out all the side quests and other questlines. That way, you can really put some meat on Edwyn's character development, the Thalmor dirtbags, and the Civil War itself.

NOTE: I have this fanfic on "watch." :)

Skyrimosity

Chapter 1: Arriving in a New World
A Breton had been running to the city of Windhelm for hours, still in shock over his discovery of his home in ashes and his parents dead. But what was he running from? Was he running away from a dead family, Thalmor agents, and his past homes? Or was he in fact running toward a glorious future, fame, fortune, and honor? Right now, he could not tell for sure. He was only running for his life.
Edwyn, a scrawny man with short black hair who stood only about six foot tall and weighed under two-hundred pounds, was near fainting when he finally arrived at the Windhelm Stables, winded and exhausted. He saw a stable-hand tending to the horses. He asked him, in-between panting breaths, "Where's... the nearest.. inn?" and the man responded "Candlehearth Hall. It is just inside the city sir. Can't miss it." Edwyn walked only for a moment where he saw the glorious bridge which would finally lead him into the city. It was very heavily guarded by Stormcloak soldiers. Edwyn approached one of the men. Edwyn asked him "Excuse me, but where does one sign up for the Stormcloaks?" The man started laughing in Edwyn's face. He said "Ha! A Breton in the Stormcloaks! We know your people are unwilling to risk their lives for Talos!" Tears came to Edwyn's eyes as he responded to the harsh man. "Actually, the rest of my family have already given their lives." The guard was taken aback and finally responded "Talk to Ulfric in the Palace of the Kings. He'll tell you." Edwyn nodded towards the man and walked down the bridge.
Edwyn was incapable of believing just how marvelous the bridge was. It was made purely out of stone and was many feet long. But even more marvelous were the walls of Windhelm. They were well-constructed for the defense of the city and it was visible that no expense was spared in its construction. Some sections of the wall, such as a few watchtowers which extended around 10 feet above the rest of the wall, were apparently newly built. Edwyn could only guess that was in direct response to their growing war with the Empire.
He walked through the large gates of the city and saw the beautiful architecture of the early Nordic peoples. It was much different than the many small towns and cities he was accustomed too. There were many people walking through the streets, many merchants selling their wares on the corners and in the market, and the city's tallest building, what Edwyn assumed was the Palace of the Kings, seemed to nearly reach into the sky just to show off its sheer perfection. But, it was nearing the night.
The Candlehearth Inn was the very first building, dividing the path into 2 which then connected the entirety of the large city. Edwyn noticed 2 poor Nordic men badgering a Dunmer woman. Edwyn approached them and asked "What is going on here?" to which the elder of the 2 men replied "None of your business kid. Back away and keep to yourself." However, the Dunmer woman who was visibly angry replied "These men have been harming the Dunmer of the city for years! They think they are better than the Dunmer are!" Edwyn decided to not take any one side and he thought it best to just walk away. Still, he felt bad for the Dunmer woman.
The Breton walked into Candlehearth Hall at last and he approached the Innkeeper. "How much for a room, ma'am?" She replied "My my, well-mannered aren't you? Hard to find people with manners nowadays. Excuse my ramblings, sir. A room is 10 Septims." Edwyn dug around for his coinpurse but he realized that he could not find it. He figured he had dropped it somewhere but the thought of a cut-purse crept into his mind. Edwyn was about to walk out of the Inn when the Innkeeper stopped him. She said "Look, I can see you are new to the city. How about this. I give you the room free, for just tonight. No charge." Edwyn was happy and visibly so. He responded with an ecstatic "Thank you! Thank you very much! Talos bless you." The woman handed him the key and told him it was the first room on the right.
He walked up to the door and with a bit of nervousness put the key into it. He heard it unlock and he walked into the basic room. Just a bed, dresser, and chest. Nothing too fancy but the simplicity of it reminded him of his home once more. He lie down on the bed, not noticing he still wore his simple fur armor. He looked up at the ceiling and began to cry. He said aloud to no one in-particular "I will never make it here! I've been here for a few minutes and I have already lost all my Septims! I... I just need to join the Stormcloaks in the morning! That will earn me respect!" For a second after that, Edwyn thought he heard some footsteps walking away from very close to his door. He thought little of it and he pushed the thought from his mind. He soon fell asleep on the harsh bed.
(Once again, I ask you the reader to post what you think of the story. Your responses are important to my writing.)

dunklunk

Just on this chapter, of course, seems like you're setting him up for failure. And that's a good thing. Cuz it sure sounds like the odds are stacked against him. Will be interesting to see how and to what extent he rallies.

Skyrimosity

Just on this chapter, of course, seems like you're setting him up for failure. And that's a good thing. Cuz it sure sounds like the odds are stacked against him. Will be interesting to see how and to what extent he rallies.
Its certainly not meant to be a happy story about a self-motivated man who faces no obstacles in life.

dunklunk

Its certainly not meant to be a happy story about a self-motivated man who faces no obstacles in life.

Oh, I agree, Sky. So when he finally does gain confidence, he'll have truly grown. You say no obstacles in life. Really? His entire family has been slaughtered, his home burned down, and he's pretty much all alone now. And he lost (or was stolen) all his coin. Sounds like some obstacles to me. Nice yarn you're spinning, dude. Eager to see when he starts kicking ass and taking names. Payback is such a bitch, right? :mad:

Roll on Chapter Two! :)

Skyrimosity

Chapter 2 is likely rolling around tomorrow I'm afraid. Doing some brainstorming today is all.

The_Madgod

LordLlamahat
I compliment thee on thy work, and hopefully thou shalt not keep reminding me to read thy fanfic. Anyway, I doth agree with the others, a tiny bit more emotion and development would be good. Otherwise, awesome story, man!

Skyrimosity

Ok, just thought I'd clear up. I've had not the 2 hours required to write a proper chapter. But I shall have enough time tomorrow, so expect Chapter 2 tomorrow!

Skyrimosity

CHAPTER 2: Meeting the Stormcloaks
Edwyn awoke in the morning with a newly found vigor for joining the Stormcloaks. After seeing the dispute between the two Nords and the Dunmer woman yesterday but he had managed to rationalize joining the stormcloaks into a few key points. He wrote these points down a piece of paper to always remind himself why it absolutely had to be done.
  1. The Thalmor killed my parents
  2. The Empire is a puppet of the Thalmor
  3. The Stormcloaks hate the Empire and thus hate my parent's murderers.
Edwyn spoke to himself "Still, something doesn't feel right about joining the Stormcloaks. The prejudices and the hate run too rampant. Perhaps one day I'll be able to do something about that." He finally got out of the room and walked down the hall. He smiled as he passed the innkeeper whom yesterday had given him a free room. As he walked outside, he was hit by a blast of snow and freezing cold. His teeth began chattering as he walked down the street where the citizens of Windhelm seemed completely comfortable in the unbearable cold.

He made his way to the Palace of the Kings. The building was more impressive than he previously had thought. It reached many feet into the air as intricacies of stone made magnificent gargoyles on the corners of the building. The Breton was awe-struck as he gazed upon the structure before finally regaining his composure and walking cautiously into it.

The sight on the inside was even more beautiful. The finest silks and wools his eyes had ever see were decorating nearly every item which hung on the walls and table. A magnificent throne made of almost pure gold and diamonds stood at the end, where a tall, rough looking Nord was talking to a man wearing a pelt of a once-feared Cave Bear.

As he approached the two Nords rather sheepishly, they stopped talking and stared at him for a moment. The man on the throne said to the other in a loud, clear voice "Galmar, please see why our guest is here." to which the man wearing the bear pelt responded "With pleasure Ulfric.". Edwyn stood terrified as the man pulled out a battle axe and approached him. The man named Galmar approached Edwyn threateningly "What is you want with Ulfric Stormcloak, true High King of Skyrim?" Edwyn could only stare fearfully at the brutal man who could so easily decapitate him and act like nothing ever happened. Finally, Edwyn had his voice built up to where he could speak. "I wish to join the Stormcloaks!" He hadn't intended to yell it out so loudly.

The burly Nord, Galmar, bellowed out his response. "Why would a Breton want to join the Stormcloaks!?" Edwyn once again built up the courage to answer with "My parents were killed by the Thalmor! I know the Stormcloaks would have the courage to deal with those murderous swine!" It was once again yelled out, much louder than Edwyn had expected. This time the man on the throne, Ulfric, responded. "You may be allowed to join in my army. However, you must pass the recruitment test. Galmar, would you do the honors?" Edwyn thought he heard some sort of growl arise from Galmar but the Nord took Edwyn into a bit of a military room where it detailed which cities were Stormcloak and which were Imperial.

Galmar said to Edwyn "So you wish to be a Stormcloak. I don't like the idea. I think you will be weak and useless. However, Ulfric's word is higher than mine. Perhaps he sees something that I can not. No matter, you must pass my little test. You must travel to a small island Northeast of Dawnstar and kill an Ice Wraith. The Ice Wraith of that region have very distinctive teeth, so don't think you can trick me. Now, you must leave this Palace. Return with the Ice Wraith teeth or don't return."

Edwyn was all but pushed out of the door. He took a moment to let what Galmar said sink in. Edwyn knew he had to do what the man told him to do if he were to join the Stormcloaks. He yelled rather loudly "I'll show that foul Galmar what I'm capable of!" and he drew a few questioning looks from the local citizens. Edwyn grew a bit red and decided he needed to start the task of killing the Ice Wraith as soon as possible.

He exited the city and walked to the end of the bridge, already leaving Windhelm when only yesterday he was so impressed with its structure. Edwyn took in a deep breath and began walking along the road to Winterhold, which he'd need to make a stop at in order to reach his destination. Only a day after his parents were killed, Edwyn realized that his journey had just now begun.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts