Review embargo of Skyrim and in general

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Am I the only one who thinks that they are absolutely retarded and a sign of a developer’s extremely low confidence? In my opinion it’s nothing more than a piss-poor attempt at avoiding negative publicity prior to the launch and I have yet to hear a reasonable explanation that says otherwise.

Tusck

I think the problem is the development and marketing are two different departments, so I'm not sure how much say the devs actually have in what info gets released. Remember how Bioware marketed DAO at first, all sex, blood and guts. Totally off from what the game actually was. I doubt that it will turn out to be bad game. I just thing the marketing guys are trying to tell a certain story, but it's not the story the long time players want to hear. We want mechanics, they talk about dragons. Also, I think it's because of the bottom line that these big companies have to live and die by. They need to protect the shareholders, and sometimes that gets in the way of the players.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
That’s why they should be privately owned. Corporations who have to answer to a bunch of greedy strangers fluffing suck. It’s such a plopsty business model from the consumers’ perspective.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
fluff that, I won’t let it get that far if I have any say in it. Don’t be a pessimistic wuss by giving up :<>

Jeruhmi

I think the problem is the development and marketing are two different departments, so I'm not sure how much say the devs actually have in what info gets released. Remember how Bioware marketed DAO at first, all sex, blood and guts. Totally off from what the game actually was. I doubt that it will turn out to be bad game. I just thing the marketing guys are trying to tell a certain story, but it's not the story the long time players want to hear. We want mechanics, they talk about dragons. Also, I think it's because of the bottom line that these big companies have to live and die by. They need to protect the shareholders, and sometimes that gets in the way of the players.
That about sums it up. Money > Players

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
That’s even worse :|

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Uh. Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is review embargo?

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
oh. that makes more sense. are they just trying to prevent spoilers? I'm sure skyrim already have good reviews. uh. unless they read them already and saw that they were bad. in that case, that is pretty dishonest. I dunno. I don't really care then since I'm already sold into the game anyway

Bobbyleez

Pretty much every game I've followed on any forums did have embargos, I for one, completely agree with them. It's a safe way to keep spoilers from the public, and also a great way to build up hype for your game ( I'm not saying hype is a good thing, but I believe it is goal of pretty much every developper.) If all the details of the game were released all at once, people would know if is a buyer or no, which in turn lower the sales....

Often did I buy a game I thought was going to be revolutionary because of the information released, but enden in bunk (looking at you, Far Cry2) . It's a shady buisness, but it is needed....

Just my two cents..

Bobbyleez

Which is why I love Bethesda and Bioware. But I never was a fan of the star wars RPG games, when it comes to Star Wars I like the action quick, I guess I'm just not feeling the mix of Strategy with the Star Wars universe.

Mass effect on the other hand, was great. Never followed them (first and second game), so I don't know what the embargo actually blocked off from the public...

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Review embargoes are a relatively new phenomenon (at least in this number). The spoiler argument is a pretense. People know what to expect when reading one and most of the time it’s not even that spoiler-ish since they are often supposed to give you a better idea of what the game is about. Very few critics would spoil the story for their readers.

So what is the reason? My best guess: Allowing them to uphold the fake hype that their marketing department worked so hard to create. And that is straight up dishonest. Instead of allowing their customers to inform themselves about their product they’d rather have them buy it blindly. Totally not cool.

Renegader

Administrator
Staff member
It will just encourage people who buy games solely on reviews to purchase it after the reviews are published (after release date).

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Review embargoes are a relatively new phenomenon (at least in this number). The spoiler argument is a pretense. People know what to expect when reading one and most of the time it’s not even that spoiler-ish since they are often supposed to give you a better idea of what the game is about. Very few critics would spoil the story for their readers.

So what is the reason? My best guess: Allowing them to uphold the fake hype that their marketing department worked so hard to create. And that is straight up dishonest. Instead of allowing their customers to inform themselves about their product they’d rather have them buy it blindly. Totally not cool.
Hm... That seems pretty reasonable argument. I didn't think that one could be so opposed to this though. It's just one of the marketing strategy and just like Renegader said, I would imagine people who really rely on review to purchase them after the release date.

Another possible reasoning could be that they want to have an explosion after the release date. You're right about holding the hype up. I mean, that's what game marketing aim for. If the game reviews come out too early, the hype wouldn't go down just because it had a bad review. It goes down because people become more informed on what the game is about. Simply just that. That's why they always try to not tell everything about the game all the time. We didn't know about werewolves until recently even though people constantly asked them about werewolves. I guess now that it's so close, they couldn't hold onto it.

After the game release date, a lot of people will be playing and will be talking about it. If the game reviews come out during that particular time, people who weren't interested in Skyrim will fall into the massive talk. For now, it's pretty quiet. See, this forum isn't as active as it can be because Skyrim isn't out yet. If game reviews come out now, the readers (like people who don't know Skyrim or forgot about Skyrim) will read it and then go back to forgetting about it because the game isn't even out yet. Not a lot of people are talking about it so the chances are, Skyrim won't come across their mind. Even after the release since they'll think like 'Oh, it's skyrim. I read some reviews about it'. They already forgot what exactly the review said, and put it aside.

If the readers read the review after the game has been out, they'll fall into it almost immediately. They read the good reviews, go find the game, 'oh hey, the game is out so everyone is talking about it. Maybe I should browse its busy forum to see what it's about.' The readers will also see the comments on the game review, seeing a lot of people agreeing to such a positive review. It will go on until the person becomes sold and buys the game.

Well, that was a long explanation. It's not all that obvious and I did stretch out some assumptions but I think they are quite reasonable. One may view review embargo filled with skepticism at first glance but I think it's a very subtle marketing scheme. It might be annoying to wait for review for couple of days but of course, there will be more sale for Bethesda. Of course, they could use this to 'trick' people into buying their bad game but I really really doubt Skyrim got bad reviews and people will regret buying it. :]

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts