1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
    Dismiss Notice

Returning player

Discussion in 'General Skyrim Discussion' started by frostspiderman, May 14, 2021.

1. frostspiderman

It’s been at least 4 years since I played Skyrim and I thought it would be fun to dive into again. Few questions/thoughts….

I’m guessing SE is the way to go? I’ve had a look through the mods and most of the things I’d want seem to be there. I’m pretty sure I loaded it up once, back when it was first released, but haven’t actually played it.

Is there anything new I need to know? I guess the game is the same, but what about modding - any new tools or good things to do?

Finally, I was trying to work out what I should play on… computing wise I’ve gone all Mac in the past few years. I was thinking about buying a refurbed/second hand pc, but then I remembered I’ve got my old laptop somewhere that I used to play on. My first thought is that it wouldn’t be good enough, but looking at the system requirements on the wiki shows it should be - a quad core i7 with an nvidia GeForce 675m. Even though that laptop is 9 years old, will it be good enough?

thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sah

Sah Well-Known Member

honestly, I would go with a PC whatever it is as long as it has the specs to run Skyrim

My first PC cost me $1000AU 7 years ago ... now after upgrades, I have a $5000 wort of PC sitting on my desk and I learned how to upgrade it myself

FACT: a PC will give you the best modding experience, Nexus is still committed to full mod support for Skyrim SE & Fallout 4 ext, Bethesda on the other have are not so committed anymore and are shutting everything down (this is more Xbox related mods)

a PC is like buying a house, might be good and cheap but after a few renovations you can end up with a mantion

3. Sah

Sah Well-Known Member

as for which version of Skyrim?

you get Skyrim Special Edition no questions asked

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

I've started re-playing. However this time I am talking to every character in each town to try and do some quests I've totally forgotten about. I've discovered a new way to solve the Cygna Mine quest :)

I also play on harder settings this new time thru and every encounter can be deadly.

As for mods for SE, I'd start with Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.

Improved Bandits - A Complete Bandit Overhaul is very lore friendly and Darker Nights so you care what time it is. There is one called reduced the # of items found to make potions more scarce and valuable. Things like that are nice in that they don't break quests.

As far as mod managers go, I made the mistake of mixing two once - with bad results. I'm stuck with the old one for now as I had installed a lot of mods.

Mods can still reek havoc with SE.

• Like Like x 1