Random, Useless Factoid Thread

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
Know a bunch of useless crap?

Sure, we all do.

Post random useless things you know in here so we call all say, "wow, that's pretty interesting," and then make fun of how much a nerdy dork you are secretly behind your back, not that we weren't doing that already prior to your contribution, you nerdy dork.

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
RAIDO Useless Factoid Number 1:
OIL OF OLAY

a63bc4217a80d7c7073e10cd68a904a8.jpg

Oil of Olay has been one of the top selling beauty products on the market for years. Getting its commercial start over 50 years ago, the wrinkle reducing skin cream today makes roughly $3 billion annually of Proctor & Gamble's near $80 billion annual revenue.

The chemical agent in the cream works by shrinking the body tissue it is applied to, thus when someone with loose, wrinkly skin uses the product, it tightens up the skin and gets rid of that person's wrinkles or at least reduces
them.

What most people don't know is what original product the compound was first and then later adapted to a different use when they took the initial product and added a perfumey-type fragrance to it and thus it became Oil of Olay.

And that original product was......

preparation-h-ointment.jpg

So when old ladies rub Oil of Olay on their face, they are actually just applying scented butt cream.

And that's some useless knowledge

Last edited:

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind
LMFAO *imagines 70 yr old blokes sat next to their wives, puking at the very LATE realization that that cream has been all over their mouth*

RAIDO Useless Factoid Number 1:
OIL OF OLAY

View attachment 36392

Oil of Olay has been one of the top selling beauty products on the market for years. Getting its commercial start over 50 years ago, the wrinkle reducing skin cream today makes roughly $3 billion annually of Proctor & Gamble's average $80 billion annual revenue.

The chemical agent in the cream works by shrinking the body tissue it is applied to, thus when someone with loose, wrinkly skin uses the product, it tightens up the skin and gets rid of that person's wrinkles or at least reduces
them.

What most people don't know is what original product the compound was first and then later adapted to a different use when they took the initial product and added a perfumey-type fragrance to it and thus it became Oil of Olay.

And that original product was......

View attachment 36402

So when old ladies rub Oil of Olay on their face, they are actually just applying scented butt cream.

And that's some useless knowledge

Oh God I've actually heard about this. One reason when I get old I will NEVER go near Olay's products. Lmfao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
Oh God I've actually heard about this. One reason when I get old I will NEVER go near Olay's products. Lmfao
Scientifically speaking it does make sense as shrinking tissue fixes both problems, it's just funny it works on both ends

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
Scientifically speaking it does make sense as shrinking tissue fixes both problems, it's just funny it works on both ends

Oh I agree with you there, but still wouldn't ever use it personally. It is hilarious though. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
now if you had hemorrhoids that had wrinkles, you'd really be set

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
RAIDO Useless Factoid Number 2:

Coming in at nine letters in length, 'screeched' is the longest 1 syllable word in the English language

Nephor The Shadow Stalker

Strike swiftly and silently.
Did you know that Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker of Star Wars and voice of The Joker) got in a near fatal car accident after filming A New Hope. He had to have reconstructive facial surgery hence the reason why he looks so different.

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
Did you know that Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker of Star Wars and voice of The Joker) got in a near fatal car accident after filming A New Hope. He had to have reconstructive facial surgery hence the reason why he looks so different.
and due to being blacklisted in Hollywood is why he initially started voice work

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
803864926_1375572583.jpg

I n
and due to being blacklisted in Hollywood is why he initially started voice work
I never knew that.

Did you that Doom wasn't created by ID Software? It was a personal project from one of programmers who got let go and they found it on his work computer. After some reprogramming and editing we now have the classic shooter that brought endless nightmares to all.:p

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
RAIDO Useless Factoid Number 3:
THE ROLE OF HAN SOLO

th

Since he started envisioning making films, for the longest time George Lucas had a personal rule he wanted to follow where he purposely stayed away from using the same actor in multiple films he was making. He felt that there was something to be gained by working with a clean slate of actors and it would keep him from making characters that essentially seemed the same person just set into a different set of plot circumstances. He felt going back to the same actors again and again would limit his own creativity in developing the character and make it more difficult to get the audience to see the character as he wanted them to create it in their minds.

Oddly enough, in perhaps the most iconic film of the career of George Lucas, his third film, 1977's original movie Star Wars: A New Hope, there is one such actor which breaks this rule. That actor was Harrison Ford.

Harrison Ford had been cast in Lucas' second film, American Graffiti released four years earlier in 1973, and of course went on to play the legendary character of Han Solo in what would become one of the most profitable entertainment franchises of all time. But why might Lucas go back on his own desired casting rule?

220px-American_graffiti_ver1.jpg
220px-StarWarsMoviePoster1977.jpg

It's pretty simple actually, Harrison Ford was not
the first choice of Lucas to play the part of Solo.
Lucas was getting up too close to the start of
filming so he decided at the last moment to offer
the role to Ford, an offer he obviously accepted.

So who was the chosen one that didn't take the part?

Close your eyes and just imagine just how different
the Han Solo character would have been if he had
been played by Lucas' first choice of......

MV5BMjE0Mzg3NTY4OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzg0NjA0_V1_SY400_SX273_.jpg

Christopher Walken

Last edited:

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
Woohoo!!
aBQyMxD_460sa_v1.gif

Dabiene Caristiana

Your friendly neighborhood weirdo
Christopher Walken....?

Chistopher.... WALKEN?!

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? HOLY MOTHER OF--

kidding

Uh, I know I have an interesting fact here... Uh... Come on, where is one? I usually have one.. Here we go.

"When Twister was first introduced in 1966, it was denounced by critics as 'sex in a box'."

"Otters sleep while holding hands." (daw, ain't that cute?)

"OJ Simpson was originally cast to play Terminator, but the studio was afraid that no one would buy him as a remorseless killer."

"Leonardo da Vinci could write with one hand and draw with the other at the same time." (damn, talk about multi-talented.)

"The last man to walk on the moon, Gene Cernan, promised his daughter he'd write her initial on the moon. He did, and her initials, "TDC" will probably be on the moon for tens of thousands of years." (or at least until it's blown up.)

Here is one for coffee lovers (and one more reason why I won't drink it): "Twenty percent of office coffee mugs contain fecal matter." (Yum)

"In the 1960's, the CIA tried to spy on the Kremlin and Russian embassies by turning cats into listening devices. The program, called Acoustic Kitty, involved surgically implanting batteries, microphones and antenna inside cats." (seriously?... 60's were screwed up, man.)

"Dueling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered as blood donors."

"Caterpillars completely liquify as they transform into moths." (Thank mother of pearl I was turned into a human, and not one of those things... Yikes.)

There you go. Those are a few of them. Here is the page in which I found them. There are a total of 99, yes 99 facts. Some of which I'm sure people already know. http://all-that-is-interesting.com/interesting-facts-about-the-world#1

THE ROLE OF HAN SOLO

th

Since he started envisioning making films, for the longest time George Lucas had a personal rule he wanted to follow where he purposely stayed away from using the same actor in multiple films he was making. He felt that there was something to be gained by working with a clean slate of actors and it would keep him from making characters that essentially seemed the same person just set into a different set of plot circumstances. He felt going back to the same actors again and again would limit his own creativity in developing the character and make it more difficult to get the audience to see the character as he wanted them to create it in their minds.

Oddly enough, in perhaps the most iconic film of the career of George Lucas, his third film, 1977's original movie Star Wars: A New Hope, there is one such actor which breaks this rule. That actor was Harrison Ford.

Harrison Ford had been cast in Lucas' second film, American Graffiti released four years earlier in 1973, and of course went on to play the legendary character of Han Solo in what would become one of the most profitable entertainment franchises of all time. But why might Lucas go back on his own desired casting rule?

MV5BMjA4ODUyNDQ2NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODk2MTYz._V1_.jpg

Christopher Walken
A scary scary thought. I don't know who else auditioned for the role but I know Kurt Russell was one of the actors Lucas was thinking of before deciding on Ford.

Kame43

The opposite of Sky= Earth

The Opposite of Rim=Middle

Therefore, Skyrim is the opposite of Middlearth.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
THE ROLE OF HAN SOLO

th

Christopher Walken
A scary scary thought. I don't know who else auditioned for the role but I know Kurt Russell was one of the actors Lucas was thinking of before deciding on Ford.
The interesting thing I think is that likely Walken would have done a good performance and he's pretty good at playing quirky characters, but the tone of the character would have been entirely different and it's hard seeing Solo as anything other than Ford at this point. It's odd thinking of Walken and Chewbacca conversing.

THE ROLE OF HAN SOLO

th

Christopher Walken
The interesting thing I think is that likely Walken would have done a good performance and he's pretty good at playing quirky characters, but the tone of the character would have been entirely different and it's hard seeing Solo as anything other than Ford at this point. It's odd thinking of Walken and Chewbacca conversing.
Yo Chewy... I think... there used to be a planet here.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts