Xbox 360 Races and different builds

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Radia964

Hey Good people of Tamriel , After seeing the release of The Special Edition for XBox One...
And After a long hiatus - I'm gonna make a comeback to Skyrim...and admittedly so, I miss this forum...

The question is: In the last playthrough, I was a Big muscled Brute of a Wood Elf, - Two handed Warrior build...

This time around, I want to still choose a Race/Build, that does good damage with hand weapons...But I want to be more of a Mage...Not a die-hard Mage...I just want it to be my specialty. Both Conjuration & Destruction...

So since I been outta Skyrim for long time...
I'd just like some input on, What Races are better suited for this build...To still be strong and formidable with hand weapons
but also have high Mage capabilities...I'm leaning towards Redguard... Any input is much appreciated !

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Anything except a Breton. Bretons are short and dumpy and their wrinkled foreheads are just disgusting.

Try a Redguard or an Imperial. They have bonuses to their magicka schools and you don't have to deal with the whole "Smurf" look.

Besides, the only advantage to a Breton is their magic resistance and you can get better than that with enchantments and the Lord stone.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Ummm. Bretons get a boost to conjuration, too. Among many other bonuses.

If you want optimized Bretons. or arguably High Elves. (basically 5 free levels of Magicka)

It's up to you. but those are likely the top tier options if that's what you want to play.

Daelon DuLac

Ummm. Bretons get a boost to conjuration, too. Among many other bonuses.

If you want optimized Bretons. or arguably High Elves. (basically 5 free levels of Magicka)

It's up to you. but those are likely the top tier options if that's what you want to play.
Meh on Conjuration. It's, by far, the easiest school to up, just use a bound weapon regularly or raise a few dead from time to time.

Don't forget that all races, with the exception of Bosmer, Nords & Khajit, have some sort of affinity boost in Magicka (admittedly Orsimer only have enchanting) so race isn't really that big of a deal when making a character that uses magic as a secondary characteristic.

Niether Altmer nor Bretons, unfortunately, get any weapons bonuses whatsoever, so, to play a spellsword, I usually advocate using a Dunmer or a Redguard as they get destruction bonuses, but an Imperial is a great choice too as they get bonuses to one handed as well. Personally a Redguard, to me, is an excellent choice, as they get a massive one-handed boost as well as destruction & alteration bonuses AND they get a great Stamina ability.

It really depends on how you want to play though since, by the time you're up to level 30-40, it really doesn't matter that much depending on your perks and how you've distributed your points.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Magicka is the name for mana in the Elder Scrolls Series...

And the logic that most skills are easy to level can be applied to any skill. So by your logic weapon skill is in the same boat.

And he specifically stated that Magic is the Primary focus of this new concept. So with that, High Elves and Bretons are still the superior choice due to their magical and racial abilities. Magicka Regen or Spell resistance are far superior for Magic focused character overal. And the boosted Magicka reserves or dragon skin are also really good.

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
Wall of text incoming.
As a mage early on there are two things to think about:
Destruction damage(which sucks), and Destruction leveling(which also sucks).
Given that, you probably want to choose a race with a bonus to destruction, since conjuratoin, as stated above, is pretty easy to level.

Dark Elves are a great choice because they start with 25 destruction, meaning you can spend your first two perks on novice and apprentice destruction and reasonably use tier 2 spells, plus you're closer to the damage increase perks and impact. They also get an additional spell to start: spark, though you can pick up the spell tome for that in Helgen. They don't get a boost to any weapon skills. Their racial resistance is decent and their ability can help in the lower levels of play.

High Elves are another great option as they get a starting 20 to all magic skills, but that's all they get. Combined with the highest starting magicka and their racial ability giving them insane magic regen during OH pl*ps moments.

As argued above Redguards also get a starting 20 to destruction, as well as a 25 in 1-handed weapons so they are no slouch in melee. Given that their racial ability is insane stamina regen they can stick it out in melee in OH pl*ps situations or run away and just keep on running.

Imperials are a fabulous choice. They get 20 destruction and 25 restoration(arguably the hardest skill to level in the game) and they get a 20 in 1-handed and heavy armor so they can survive alot more and do decent damage in melee. Their racial ability is a once a day panic button that can make enemies stop trying to kill you so you can get the hell out of there.

Orcs do need to be mentioned. They get both 1-handed and 2-handed bonuses as well as a 25 in heavy armor so they are easily one of if not the best melee race out of the gate. As far as magic goes they have very little to help them out, but there is one thing that is a BIG help. Orc's berserk racial ability halves the damage you take and doubles ALL damage that you do. This applies to magic as well so your destruction spells damage doesn't suck nearly as bad AND you'll die alot slower in OH pl*ps situations. You might even turn certain defeat into epic victory with it.

If I was rating them, it'd be:
1.Dark Elves
2.High Elves
3.Imperials
4.Redguards
5.(or1)Orcs
An orc would be the best in theory simply because berserk is that good, but as a mage and because leveling destruction is semi-painful, they come in last. Do yourself a favor and take a dark elf for a spin. Weapon skills and conjuration level easily enough through use, but destruction help early is a BIG BIG plus. Too big to be edged out by a high elf's magicka bonuses.

I did not mention Bretons in this list. There's a reason for that. They get no boost to destruction, and no boost to any weapon skills. They get a good boost to conjuration, but really guys, conjuration levels SO easily just through use, it's probably the second fastest thing to level in the game(playing naturally). Being gimped offensively is horrible in the early levels and leveling slowly is going to make that even more painful. On top of that, their racial abilities are only useful against other mages and dragons, and neither of those are what usually kill mage characters. What kills mage characters is frustration during the early levels because every enemy stronger than a wolf can destroy you.

Radia964

Thanks alot for all the great input... I ended up choosing a Redguard, which is working out real good...Of course leveling up your character as much as possible , early in the game is Key...
I gotta say this second playthrough, is alot more fun than the first...Which goes to stand for anything, once you know what you're doing.
I do wish they included a Multi-player mode in this Special Edition....I did'nt think much of the Mods at first...But there are some kick ass ones, you just gotta have...For one the "quick-leveling" Mod :b::Dragonborn:

Daelon DuLac

Thanks alot for all the great input... I ended up choosing a Redguard, which is working out real good...Of course leveling up your character as much as possible , early in the game is Key...
I gotta say this second playthrough, is alot more fun than the first...Which goes to stand for anything, once you know what you're doing.
I do wish they included a Multi-player mode in this Special Edition....I did'nt think much of the Mods at first...But there are some kick ass ones, you just gotta have...For one the "quick-leveling" Mod :b::Dragonborn:
There is a multi-player mode. It's called ESO.

Let's not ruin Skyrim by making it multi-player. That would suck.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts