• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I know this is probably a dumb and basic question, so I apologize ahead of time. We are pretty new to the game. How does gardening work? I see that we need to have items in our inventory to plant. Where do we get those items? Do we forage around for them or purchase from vendors?

Bulfrek

Dawnstar's "Cleaner"
Mainly just plant ingredients and vegetables. For example, you want a Snowberry plant, harvest Snowberies and plant them in Fertile Soil. Same if you want to plant food like potatoes and cabbage, just activate fertile soil and plant the ingredient/food you wish to grow. It also will regrow after harvesting(plus you get a few added to your inventory when you harvest.)

Mainly just plant ingredients and vegetables. For example, you want a Snowberry plant, harvest Snowberies and plant them in Fertile Soil. Same if you want to plant food like potatoes and cabbage, just tivate fertile soil and plant the ingredient/food you wish to grow. It also will regrow after harvesting(plus you get a few added to your inventory when you harvest.)

Thank you! Will give it a try.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
You can forage or buy, it's up to you. Here is what I have done, I own all three houses so in one garden I have ingredients to make restore health potions. At another house I have ingredients to make resist fire potions, and at the last house I have a variety of ingredients that make really expensive potions that I can later sell. That house also has a greenhouse attached, so I can plant a lot of stuff, as well as the fish hatchery. :) happy gardening :)

sticky runes

The gardening controls are quite annoying, because it asks how many items you want to plant, but you can only plant on of each item.

But the good news is that you always receive more than one of each item every time you harvest from a plant that has been growing in your garden or greenhouse.

Bjørn of Helgåfjord

Himintelgja - Heaven Scraper
The garden, and I assume the greenhouse, work in the same way. First you have to either buy or find ingredients and/or vegetables. You can get veggies from food stands, inns, a and people's farms. There are also sacks and barrels of veggies in bandit hideouts and such. Ingredients you can get from alchemy shops or the wilds, and also some bandit hideouts too.

To farm them, you activate a spot of fertile soil, and it brings up your inventory. Then you choose what you want to plant there, and plant it. I always just put in 1 thing of whatever it is. It should pop up with a thing saying "item planted" or whatever it says. then you press okay, and rinse and repeat for the other plots.

Not everything can be planted-tomatoes for example, can't. But I know you can plant: Potatoes, wheat, leeks, cabbage, carrots, lavender, blue/red/purple mountain flowers, nightshade, dragon's tongue, snowberries, juniper berries, thistle, white cap, blisterwort, namira's rot

I've never had the greenhouse so there could be more in there that you can plant, and there are undoubtedly others too that I haven't tried planting yet.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I've planted everything around. I even had one greenhouse full of scarlet nirmroot (it was purty!). I think you're right about tomatoes though.

I like to plant wheat in my outside gardens. Don't know why, but I like the look - food for my cows?

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
I've planted everything around. I even had one greenhouse full of scarlet nirmroot (it was purty!). I think you're right about tomatoes though.

I like to plant wheat in my outside gardens. Don't know why, but I like the look - food for my cows?

Weird... I was always under the impression that you couldn't plant the crimson (I assume this is what you meant) nirnroot or the common variety.

Daelon DuLac

Weird... I was always under the impression that you couldn't plant the crimson (I assume this is what you meant) nirnroot or the common variety.
Yes, crimson, sorry. I don't know, but the crimson was fine on my last run through. I even had a few normals in it as well for colour variety.

LotusEater

Yes, crimson, sorry. I don't know, but the crimson was fine on my last run through. I even had a few normals in it as well for colour variety.

Greenhouse or garden?

Daelon DuLac

Greenhouse or garden?
Definately greenhouse. Now that I think about it, it was a weird run through. For the first time I found all of the crimsons (20, right - something like that) but I had extras in my inventory. I remember that I thought it was weird that I still had 5 or 6 of them after the questline was done so I planted them.

LotusEater

Greenhouse or garden?
Definately greenhouse. Now that I think about it, it was a weird run through. For the first time I found all of the crimsons (20, right - something like that) but I had extras in my inventory. I remember that I thought it was weird that I still had 5 or 6 of them after the questline was done so I planted them.

Well there are more crimson nirnroots available than you need for the quest, so it's normal to have leftovers if you grabbed them all. Maybe once the quest is completed, the crimson nirnroot is plantable? Hidden reward perhaps? Interesting bug? Must experiment, been meaning to head back to Blackreach to do that quest.

Daelon DuLac

Greenhouse or garden?

Well there are more crimson nirnroots available than you need for the quest, so it's normal to have leftovers if you grabbed them all. Maybe once the quest is completed, the crimson nirnroot is plantable? Interesting bug if that's what it is. Must experiment, been meaning to head back to Blackreach to do that quest.
Me too! I haven't been to Blackreach in a while. Let me know how it goes and I will do the same. One other little tidbit. The greenhouse in question was the one outside of Morthal where I also had my fishery. Don't know if the location made a difference.

LotusEater

Well there are more crimson nirnroots available than you need for the quest, so it's normal to have leftovers if you grabbed them all. Maybe once the quest is completed, the crimson nirnroot is plantable? Interesting bug if that's what it is. Must experiment, been meaning to head back to Blackreach to do that quest.
Me too! I haven't been to Blackreach in a while. Let me know how it goes and I will do the same. One other little tidbit. The greenhouse in question was the one outside of Morthal where I also had my fishery. Don't know if the location made a difference.

Perfect... Windstad Manor. The only Hearthfire house I build anymore. (gotta have the fish hatchery)

Daelon DuLac

Perfect... Windstad Manor. The only Hearthfire house I build anymore. (gotta have the fish hatchery)
Agree. I like the location of the one in the Pale, but, at this point, on my Argo, I only have windstad and the foundations for the other two. Just lost interest and Lucia is happy in Whiterun with her fox (and she has Lydia). Gotta find the only marriable female argo in all of Skyrim (in Windhelm???) and move her in. Me no likey Windhelm. Me cold blooded. Brrrr....:)

LotusEater

Agree. I like the location of the one in the Pale, but, at this point, on my Argo, I only have windstad and the foundations for the other two. Just lost interest and Lucia is happy in Whiterun with her fox (and she has Lydia). Gotta find the only marriable female argo in all of Skyrim (in Windhelm???) and move her in. Me no likey Windhelm. Me cold blooded. Brrrr....:)

You know you can just get the shells of those homes built and appoint a house carl to decorate it fully for you, right? Takes a lot longer but if you rarely go there it shouldn't annoy you too much. Fort Dawnguard is a good place to poach followers. I steal Isran's troops all the time. Mostly I send them to join the Blades once the vampire threat is squashed.

Daelon DuLac

You know you can just get the shells of those homes built and appoint a house carl to decorate it fully for you, right? Takes a lot longer but if you rarely go there it shouldn't annoy you too much. Fort Dawnguard is a good place to poach followers. I steal Isran's troops all the time. Mostly I send them to join the Blades.
I know. I kind of like Hod so I won't get a Thaneship in Falkreath cause I won't break in to his house and steal that letter and I simply haven't gotten around to everything for the Pale property. Hence my other thread of getting bored and going off with a non quest related Khajit character that's just mucking about killing Thalmor and collecting pretty, shiny things. Who knows when I'll get back to him.

Bjørn of Helgåfjord

Himintelgja - Heaven Scraper
I love how you can just grow ingredients you're supposed to find for people-makes it so easy.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts