PC Question about building a house (Lakeview Manor)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
So I finally bothered to go get the ability to build Lakeview Manor, and it seems like I can't build everything? After the main hall and adding a better/bigger part (not sure how to describe it) so there's a dining table and such, I found plenty of more options on the drafting table.

I saw one person say you can only add on three wings, and another say you have to build one completely before being able to build another. Which is it?

Also, is there some sort of guide for Hearthfire things somewhere? I saw an updated strategy guide at Best Buy but chose not to get it until it's updated with Dragonborn stuff.

Dallas-Arbiter

So I finally bothered to go get the ability to build Lakeview Manor, and it seems like I can't build everything? After the main hall and adding a better/bigger part (not sure how to describe it) so there's a dining table and such, I found plenty of more options on the drafting table.

I saw one person say you can only add on three wings, and another say you have to build one completely before being able to build another. Which is it?

Also, is there some sort of guide for Hearthfire things somewhere? I saw an updated strategy guide at Best Buy but chose not to get it until it's updated with Dragonborn stuff.

They're both right. You can pick only three wings, and You have to build the wings one at a time. Then when you've got the house built, go in, and start building the furnishings. Tip: if you chose to have the Storage room and the Bedrooms, build the storage room first, or you'll have a rail blocking the wrap around deck.

After you have the house built, go in and find the little work benches, then build all the furnishings you want, when you're done building all the shelves and crap, go outside, to the drafting table, and remove the workbenches from the inside of the house. BTW, you really don't need a strategy guide. Just build what ever you want. Then you can pick any housecarl and many of the hirelings to be the steward. You don't have to be thane of Falkreath Hold to have a steward. Just take whoever you want to the house, and they'll say "A fine steading like this needs a steward", if you agree, they'll become the Steward.

Then from your steward, you can buy a carriage that will take you to every city, town, village, and settlement for free, also you can have them buy you a cow, three chickens, a horse, and your very own Bard. His name is Llewyn (or something like it). He'll play whatever instrument you want too.

Then there's all the new foods. Potato bread, garlic bread, all sorts of pies and sweets, Argonian Blood wine, Surille Bros Wine, and you can build two mead barrels in the basement, and get 10 bottles of Nord Mead at a time from them.

Another thing, your property will not be attacked until you adopt children, You'll even have to kill skeevers in the basement from time to time.

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
Probably? I'll go ahead and build them with spawned items and... let them sit I guess? Breezehome's only got one load screen and it's right next to a blacksmith so I can get whatever I need done real quick.

Speaking of load screens, I noticed when exiting Lakeview Manor that the load screen itself took a few moments to load, and each time I questioned if it would freeze or crash on me. I've never had that sort of issue with any other locations.

Dallas-Arbiter

Probably? I'll go ahead and build them with spawned items and... let them sit I guess? Breezehome's only got one load screen and it's right next to a blacksmith so I can get whatever I need done real quick.

Speaking of load screens, I noticed when exiting Lakeview Manor that the load screen itself took a few moments to load, and each time I questioned if it would freeze or crash on me. I've never had that sort of issue with any other locations.
It did that with me too for a while, it did clear up. I don't know why.

It's just getting used to the game. Think of how many times you've loaded other areas. As soon as you load the main world it gets to be a shorter load screen. Mine is almost instant. But the rendering of your new home is new to your game client. So it will take a few moments for it to remember: What you put in the house; where are your NPCs; what did you drop in the house; what did you pick up from the house; etc. Just give it a few IRL days and you shouldn't have that problem anymore. Dalas Pretty much summed up your main question. In a nutshell, Build one wing at a time. (took me about 3 hours of game-play to finish the building part) and then work on furnishings. If you made someone your Steward, You can have them furnish the house for you.
I hope this helps.

MrDSL

I just finished all 3 of my houses except for a few wall furnishings. Once you have all the armory stuff in the cellar you can build everything in the cellar and keep all your materials in the chest right by the workbench..

I think once you get your first place completely built you will find it much more convient and faster..

Make sure to get A LOT of iron ignots..You will need them the most..I would say at least 200 or so..Start buying plenty of glass etc and start getting some logs devliered and you'll have it up in no time.

I really like the trophy and armory room.

One thing I noticed and maybe its only on the Xbox but when using my interior workbenches most of the time I have to go into them back out and back in to get the correct stuff to show up..Sometimes it delays and shows stuff to build that I've already done.

JClarke1953

I enjoyed building my own, but for that the display cases wouldn't "activate". I'd have to drag stuff into them, yet to find them on the floor when my char returns home.

MrDSL

I enjoyed building my own, but for that the display cases wouldn't "activate". I'd have to drag stuff into them, yet to find them on the floor when my char returns home.

Yeah I didn't really get the display cases either..I thought I was doing something wrong and never bothered to try and drop them in..Seems annoying.

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
If the display cases are supposed to activate like plaques, then they don't do that for me. I just kinda dropped Auriel's bow and special arrow quivers in there and I think that worked.

It's just getting used to the game. Think of how many times you've loaded other areas. As soon as you load the main world it gets to be a shorter load screen. Mine is almost instant. But the rendering of your new home is new to your game client. So it will take a few moments for it to remember: What you put in the house; where are your NPCs; what did you drop in the house; what did you pick up from the house; etc. Just give it a few IRL days and you shouldn't have that problem anymore. Dalas Pretty much summed up your main question. In a nutshell, Build one wing at a time. (took me about 3 hours of game-play to finish the building part) and then work on furnishings. If you made someone your Steward, You can have them furnish the house for you.
I hope this helps.

I think that's what it is, but the fact that it's the only load screen that regularly does that is throwing me off considering that some load screens are so short the game doesn't get to even load those up for me.

I did mean to get a steward but I dunno what happened to doing that. I did a little searching the other night and noticed that it looks like having one'll make things quite a bit easier. Guess Lydia's getting a job.

Make sure to get A LOT of iron ignots..You will need them the most..I would say at least 200 or so..Start buying plenty of glass etc and start getting some logs devliered and you'll have it up in no time.

I really like the trophy and armory room.

One thing I noticed and maybe its only on the Xbox but when using my interior workbenches most of the time I have to go into them back out and back in to get the correct stuff to show up..Sometimes it delays and shows stuff to build that I've already done.

YEAH I NOTICED THAT. I can't believe the number of iron ingots that are needed, jeeze. Glass as well. At least with the logs you don't have to carry them in your inventory and get an unlimited (or at least as many as you can afford) number at any one time.

I had a little issue like that as well, but I contributed it to using QD Inventory. Hm.

If the display cases are supposed to activate like plaques, then they don't do that for me. I just kinda dropped Auriel's bow and special arrow quivers in there and I think that worked.

I think that's what it is, but the fact that it's the only load screen that regularly does that is throwing me off considering that some load screens are so short the game doesn't get to even load those up for me.

I did mean to get a steward but I dunno what happened to doing that. I did a little searching the other night and noticed that it looks like having one'll make things quite a bit easier. Guess Lydia's getting a job.

I have to tell you that your problem with the display case is being worked on. those and weapon racks are having problems keeping items. such as in Breezehome, in Whiterun. you can place a statue of Dibella on the ground, drag it over to a table and set it up real nice. And then it will stay that way if you leave, and come back. In your house in Falkreath, (not sure about the other houses as I only have the one.) You set it down drag it somewhere and leave and it's where you dropped it, not where you left it.
A note: You cannot marry your steward, so if you plan on marrying Lydia, don't make her your steward. It's best to make another follower your steward. That way you don't have to keep telling Lydia "It's time for us to part ways" and then talking to her again to get her to do what you want, and then asking her to follow you again." She will however make whichever land you purchased her "Home" that she goes to. So don't worry about loosing her.

MrDSL

One thing I've seemed to notice with Lakeview property is it seems I get attacked by Dragons often when fast traveling there...Doesn't seem to happen near as often on the other two.

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
It seems like Falkreath hold is just a good place for random dragon encounters, and since Lakeview Manor is reported to have the best/highest random encounter spawn rate, I can believe that. Good news for me though; I have two or three different sets of dragonbone weapons I can make from Dawnguard and mods, and I'm fond of giving out dragon bone/scale armor. Plus, dragon souls for this mod are awesome, too.

Necaradan666

Items placed manually throughout houses may have their location re-set upon the next time you enter, generally being found where they were dropped from your inventory. If you want them safe to move, there are several ways to make the game remember their exact placement. One workaround would be to drop items off your inventory you want to decorate your house with, then step outside your house, and re-enter. Upon entering your house, every item you dropped will be safe to move, as their location will save.

~ from UESP, check out Houses page for more details

Are you sure the display cases are even meant to activate? In my experience display cases in Skyrim that are 'useable' are very rare.

You don't have to adopt kids before your homes get attacked either, sometimes I don't adopt kids at all and I still get giants, dragons and bandit attacks now and again.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts