PS3: No Dawnguard?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

T1d3

Article Writer
In an interview with Kotaku, Bethesda admitted that the hugely successful and incredibly fun Dawnguard DLC might not even become available for PS3 users. Dawnguard was available for the Xbox 360 one month before any other system because of a contract between Bethesda and Microsoft. One month later the game hadn't come out for PC or PS3.

Finally coming out for PC only a few days after the one month mark, Dawnguard has yet to make an appearance for the PS3, and now it may never be available for the system. With the announcement of Hearthfire last week, what does this mean for all other DLC for Skyrim? Bethesda says they are trying urgently to fix the problem and appreciates the patience of all its PS3 fans.

For the full interview click the link below:
Original Kotaku interview

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 269,326

theoperation

Hero of Jorvasskr
Well this is bad business for both Bethesda and for Sony. I'm definitely not purchasing any further Bethesda games for the PS3. As for the next gen, I'm hoping the next Sony console will be easier to program for than the PS3, otherwise I may consider getting the Xbox instead. If all the other playstation-owning fans of Elder Scrolls and other Bethesda games agree with me, it could be a problem for them.

I'm well over blaming and critisizing Bethesda for this. I just can't be certain that any future PS3 games created by Bethesda can be actually worth the money.

Yukari Yakumo

The Countless Violet Clouds
They might do like Fallout 3 and just wait to make a Game of the Year edition with all the dlc's.
But, yeah this is just...

Gore gro-Gijakudob

I worked in the industry for four years and am amazed this 'PS3 is harder to program for' myth is still around. The machine is technically superior to the X360 and is more than capable of running bloody dawnguard! Plus, do you really think Bethesda are going to cancel it on the grounds that their programmers aren't good enough? All DLC will be available in time for GOTY or I'll change my avatar to 'I <3 Bill Gates'. As a final point, have you seen the list of bugs on the 360 Dawnguard? Would you really want this build? I wouldn't.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
I worked in the industry for four years and am amazed this 'PS3 is harder to program for' myth is still around. The machine is technically superior to the X360 and is more than capable of running bloody dawnguard! Plus, do you really think Bethesda are going to cancel it on the grounds that their programmers aren't good enough? All DLC will be available in time for GOTY or I'll change my avatar to 'I <3 Bill Gates'. As a final point, have you seen the list of bugs on the 360 Dawnguard? Would you really want this build? I wouldn't.

*** I am letting this through even though it's far more attack-oriented than it needs to be. There is value in the premise of the post. Still, I would be interested to hear from people who have worked for the gaming industry and who are willing to dispel erroneous misconceptions about how games are coded. I was under the impression all the console platforms utilized C++ (or some variant) as their base, then invented scripting within the engine. Obviously, there will be some specific hardware-addressing issues and hooks to the OS's. I would be pleased to hear from someone who knows for sure and can help us understand the depth of this issue with Dawnguard. -Rayven ***

But only a fool would say that the PS3 and the 360 are similar to program for. They aren't. Even someone with half a brain can figure that out. And I'm sure the PS3 can run Skyrim as well as the DLC that is released for the game. However, when the game is originally coded and programmed for one system and then ported to another, problems can arise.

illuminist

dark wood elf assassin
I am seriously thinking about getting an x box as well as I have a ps3. because bathesda games for ps3 is just terrible.

T1d3

Article Writer
For those saying that It is not more difficult to program for the PS3 than the Xbox and it is just about the money, consider this. Skyrim sold 2,745,921 units for the 360 or 44.2% of its sales. Skyrim sold 1,475,466 units for the PS3 or 24.6% of its total sales. PC lagged behind with a measly 949,536 units sold or only 18.4% of Skyim's sale total.

What does this have to do with anything? Well if each game was $60 then The Xbox version made $164,775,260. The PS3 version made them $88,527,960. While the PC generated $56,972,160 in revenue all together the game made a whopping $310,275,380!

Now lets take Dawnguard, the sale price was set at $20, if each gamer purchased Dawnguard for there respective console Bethesda is set to make $103,418,460, but without the PS3 sales that number is reduced to only $101,942,994 or in other words a $1,475,466 million dollar loss. No company is going to risk losing this much money. This doesn't even include Hearthfire.

Wicked

Well this is bad business for both Bethesda and for Sony. I'm definitely not purchasing any further Bethesda games for the PS3. As for the next gen, I'm hoping the next Sony console will be easier to program for than the PS3, otherwise I may consider getting the Xbox instead. If all the other playstation-owning fans of Elder Scrolls and other Bethesda games agree with me, it could be a problem for them.

I'm well over blaming and critisizing Bethesda for this. I just can't be certain that any future PS3 games created by Bethesda can be actually worth the money.
That's what happens when you buy a PS3 blue ray player instead of an Xbox360 gaming console
: (

Kerzechtus

Power Gamer
Sony just needs to step their GAME up in the gaming department instead of assuming we will be happy with bare minimums and no release advantages and we know PC gaming is most of the internet gaming but damn it, this is Elder Scrolls and I just happen to have a Ps3 b/c I find the other 2 Stale.

Gore gro-Gijakudob

Sony just needs to step their GAME up in the gaming department instead of assuming we will be happy with bare minimums and no release advantages and we know PC gaming is most of the internet gaming but damn it, this is Elder Scrolls and I just happen to have a Ps3 b/c I find the other 2 Stale.
Sony does, but it's a clever marketing game. Rocksteady for example have a deal for the Arkham games. Anyone remember how pissed off Xbox gamers were with the PS3 exclusive content? I admit, my earlier post was a little bit aggressive, but this kind of thing does make people angry. I'd never buy another console because of exclusive DLC, period. I paid my $40 for Skyrim and I'm happy with that. I get more angry with companies releasing not completed games and charging for DLC to make the game complete. Beth doesn't do that. Sony isn't going to pay for exclusive Bethesda content, it's not cost effective. It isn't for Microsoft either. I repeat, all Skyrim DLC will be available for the PS3... eventually.

ShaDoWzZ

Dark Lord of Skyrim
If dawn guard isn't released for ps3 in a at least a week. I am going to have to put on Auto Login for my Mw3 account. By Akatosh, has it come to this?

Rju'ka

I'm still having screen glitch issues on ps3 even after the last update. and I've been playing my Dunmer Ice mage. But last time I tried to play. I had to try and pause the game until it was playable again. I ended up shutting my system off after about 10-15 minutes of the screen going black like 3 times. its unplayable atm i think

Hunfar

I'm still having screen glitch issues on ps3 even after the last update. and I've been playing my Dunmer Ice mage. But last time I tried to play. I had to try and pause the game until it was playable again. I ended up shutting my system off after about 10-15 minutes of the screen going black like 3 times. its unplayable atm i think

Not sure if you've tried it yet, but it's suggested that you delete the skyrim download in the data section (not your saves, the download labeled "skyrim") and also all the patches, then re-installing the skyrim download and patches.

turkish1776

All gamers on ps3 should boycott all games made by this company since they can't even give us the dlc for any of the games they make close to the same time as everyone else. It is like this company has something against ps3 users almost like our money isn't good enough for them. How many customers do they have to loose before they realise that the people who buy games witch brings money to the company hate this type of S*** & will only cause us to stop buying their games. It has almost been fou months since the release of dawngaurd and we still can't play it. Wtf is up with that they say the ps3 is so powerful but i can't even play something that is already available on a less powerful system. If Dawnguard isn't available for ps3 buy november I will never play or buy another title made by this company, I'll just have to switch to dragonage 3 when it comes out.

Ebonyflesh

Three Dog
All gamers on ps3 should boycott all games made by this company since they can't even give us the dlc for any of the games they make close to the same time as everyone else. It has almost been six months sine the release of dawngaurd and we still can't play it. Wtf is up with that they say the ps3 is so powerful but i can't even play something that is already available on a less powerful system.

... Six months? Has it really? I think your mistaken with the actual release date. Maybe it's been six months since the announcement of Dawnguard, but since the release date?

Hunfar

... Six months? Has it really? I think your mistaken with the actual release date. Maybe it's been six months since the announcement of Dawnguard, but since the release date?

It's going on four months now. Not quite six months, but still a considerable amount of time.

Hotty Squirrel

GENOCIDE JUNKIE!
Bethesda said in another interveiw that they were disapointed of sony not able to get the game running on ps3, everyone thinks its bethesda fault but all they do is make the dlc then ship it to the other companies as in microsoft and sony and they have to put it on the console not bethesda so they have nothing to do with the dlc, its sony's responsibility to put it on there and fix all the bugs and make it compatible because it's their machine.

gafthrt

I completely agree, if Bethesda does not fix this, I will not buy anymore games from them for the PS3. This is terribly enfuriating for me, and I would assume other PS3 users, and should really effect both companies if this continues with further DLCs, if they even come out at all.:mad:

*** I am letting this through even though it's far more attack-oriented than it needs to be. There is value in the premise of the post. Still, I would be interested to hear from people who have worked for the gaming industry and who are willing to dispel erroneous misconceptions about how games are coded. I was under the impression all the console platforms utilized C++ (or some variant) as their base, then invented scripting within the engine. Obviously, there will be some specific hardware-addressing issues and hooks to the OS's. I would be pleased to hear from someone who knows for sure and can help us understand the depth of this issue with Dawnguard. -Rayven ***

But only a fool would say that the PS3 and the 360 are similar to program for. They aren't. Even someone with half a brain can figure that out. And I'm sure the PS3 can run Skyrim as well as the DLC that is released for the game. However, when the game is originally coded and programmed for one system and then ported to another, problems can arise.
I completely agree with you. It makes perfect sense. Considering they wrote the coding for 360 first.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts