Proper Werewolf Role Playing

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Pete

Many people try the werewolf option and dismiss it as underpowered, or not very rewarding. Personally, I believe this is because they play the wolf as yet another form for attack. I myself first started out using the wolf this way. One might use the form like a potion to be tried out now and then. There are mods that make the wolf form more powerful, but I think the real effects of lycanthropy require some simple roll playing. Wolf form being weaker in some ways and stronger in others lends to experiencing the game play as a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hide effect.

The game doesn’t force the conditions effects on the player as it does with vampires. So consider ‘properly roll playing’ an infected character. Werewolf lore contains quite a bit of nasty stories. So playing one in Skyrim works - since the game excels at darker play. I’ve given this a lot of thought. Here are some things for you to consider. Much of the behavior is hinted at or commented on in the game. Try it out and let me know what you think.

Roll Playing the Werewolf
  • Beast Mind. When transformed blood lust fills your mind. No logical, human thinking. Instead it is one of either Hunt or Howl.
  • Hunt. This is where your goal is to feed. Chase down pray. Attack, feed, flee done. Attack storm cloak and imperial camps too. Attack both sides of the civil war – regardless of the side you choose.
  • Howl. Become a terror of the night. Do this near places where pray is present. The goal is to scare rather than feed. Claim your territory.
  • Moon Hysteria. This occurs at night under a full moon – monthly. This is where you must transform and hunt. The transformation is forced.
  • Nocturnal Transformations. These occur randomly once a week or so. This will give you the feeling you don’t control your affliction. Transform after sleeping for just a few hours. Minimize planned transformations. As you level up, consider transforming more often; or under other circumstances.
  • Betrayal. Beast mind may cause attacks on those the player loves. Werewolf nature is feral. Attack your follower. Hunt people you find attractive. Suffer the emotional pain.
  • Denial. In human form be a good/normal character. Work on your quests. Help people out. You don’t understand why people hate you, pay off bounties promptly. You’re just misunderstood!
  • Madness. Werewolves slowly lose their human nature over time. Beast mind causes nightmares. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hide are slowly becoming one. You realize what you have become. When the time is right and you’re done playing your character. Transform during the day – a rare controlled transformation – Hunt and be overwhelmed. Peace comes as you are welcomed to Hircine’s hunting grounds.
So, maybe you don’t want to be a werewolf? I don’t blame you. The only way to properly cure a vampire or werewolf is to kill it. The in-game cures are copouts.

Sparkz

Mysterious Creature
Very intresting,Makes me want to create a character other than my necro and try this.Maby on my second playthrough though.Having to much fun with my necro at the moment to recreate.

Many people try the werewolf option and dismiss it as underpowered, or not very rewarding. Personally, I believe this is because they play the wolf as yet another form for attack. I myself first started out using the wolf this way. One might use the form like a potion to be tried out now and then. There are mods that make the wolf form more powerful, but I think the real effects of lycanthropy require some simple roll playing. Wolf form being weaker in some ways and stronger in others lends to experiencing the game play as a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hide effect.

The game doesn’t force the conditions effects on the player as it does with vampires. So consider ‘properly roll playing’ an infected character. Werewolf lore contains quite a bit of nasty stories. So playing one in Skyrim works - since the game excels at darker play. I’ve given this a lot of thought. Here are some things for you to consider. Much of the behavior is hinted at or commented on in the game. Try it out and let me know what you think.

Roll Playing the Werewolf
  • Beast Mind. When transformed blood lust fills your mind. No logical, human thinking. Instead it is one of either Hunt or Howl.
  • Hunt. This is where your goal is to feed. Chase down pray. Attack, feed, flee done. Attack storm cloak and imperial camps too. Attack both sides of the civil war – regardless of the side you choose.
  • Howl. Become a terror of the night. Do this near places where pray is present. The goal is to scare rather than feed. Claim your territory.
  • Moon Hysteria. This occurs at night under a full moon – monthly. This is where you must transform and hunt. The transformation is forced.
  • Nocturnal Transformations. These occur randomly once a week or so. This will give you the feeling you don’t control your affliction. Transform after sleeping for just a few hours. Minimize planned transformations. As you level up, consider transforming more often; or under other circumstances.
  • Betrayal. Beast mind may cause attacks on those the player loves. Werewolf nature is feral. Attack your follower. Hunt people you find attractive. Suffer the emotional pain.
  • Denial. In human form be a good/normal character. Work on your quests. Help people out. You don’t understand why people hate you, pay off bounties promptly. You’re just misunderstood!
  • Madness. Werewolves slowly lose their human nature over time. Beast mind causes nightmares. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hide are slowly becoming one. You realize what you have become. When the time is right and you’re done playing your character. Transform during the day – a rare controlled transformation – Hunt and be overwhelmed. Peace comes as you are welcomed to Hircine’s hunting grounds.
So, maybe you don’t want to be a werewolf? I don’t blame you. The only way to properly cure a vampire or werewolf is to kill it. The in-game cures are copouts.

Very good. But it is stated often that the Companions are those who have control over when they transform and what they do, so it seems to me wise to retain control around certain people, and not kill-everyone type mindset. Because the vanilla game gives you werwolf through the Companions, it is my choice to act controlled, and transform when planned, not random. But this is my choice, and that is yours, so I leave it to you to decide how you act.

Pete

Because the vanilla game gives you werwolf through the Companions, it is my choice to act controlled, and transform when planned, not random. But this is my choice, and that is yours, so I leave it to you to decide how you act.

Being an honorable member of the Circle is a totally fine way to go. When Kodlak Whitemane wanted out, and going through the Hircine's ring quest, I was left knowing it could also be replayed as a curse. One thing lead to another and thus the idea.

To maintain control over transformations could imply an act of will that delays the transformation, its up to the player, after all you don't want to break quests, etc...

I also think there's plenty of wiggle room in how players create their own version of beast mind.

I found that normal dice to help with the randomness. Use what ever rules that work that for you.

XbSuper

Only problem, is that you'd still be underpowered and easily killed at higher levels. I can't even kill a sabre cat without having to howl and chase them down. On pc with mods tho, this sounds like a lot of fun.

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
What about falling in love with an average looking bird who also loves a vampire but is happy to keep you dangling on a hook because she's a selfish bitch who wants everything?

Very good. But it is stated often that the Companions are those who have control over when they transform and what they do, so it seems to me wise to retain control around certain people, and not kill-everyone type mindset. Because the vanilla game gives you werwolf through the Companions, it is my choice to act controlled, and transform when planned, not random. But this is my choice, and that is yours, so I leave it to you to decide how you act.

All depends on what you chose, just as I stated. It is all up to the PC how he plays his copy, and not how someone plays their copy. You responded how I thought you would, saying it was up to each person how they play, like I stated.

What about falling in love with an average looking bird who also loves a vampire but is happy to keep you dangling on a hook because she's a selfish bitch who wants everything?

Who do you mean?

Stone

Retired Moderator
Fantastic job on this. One of my character's on PS3 is a werewolf. I never really thought about what I was doing, just ran around mashing R1 and L1. I may use this if I ever return to my PS3. (PC Skyrim owns it too much.)

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
I really like this idea. I didn't care for being a werewolf at all, but I'll be adding this concept to my Skyrim To-Do list!

butcherpete2277

Suthay-raht
Khajiit don't like werewolves, they give us strange looks...

Shaun92R

If you could glitch to keep the Cursed Ring of Hircine, that would be perfect for this RP. I actually think I'm going to do this one myself. Also, a level 81 werewolf, is actually the opposite, and way OP. I've one shotted just about everything I've killed as a werewolf, and even plow through dragons without problems.

Clau

The Fateless One
Thanks for these pointers. I will try this when Dawnguard comes around for the PS3. I find those WW perk tree really interesting and they will definitely revitalize my WW playtime. Lately, my Werewolf form is somewhat buried behind all that sneaking and shooting.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts