Problems when becoming a Vampire Lord

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Macarony

Hello,

Everything went fine in the Dawnguard mod and quests until I came to the "Bloodline" quest, accepted the blood gift and was turned. When I turn into a vampire lord, I can walk around and use the favourite abilities, but I can't attack or switch between melee and magic mode, ctrl, (but I can sneak in human form).

I've tried most things, redoing quest, reload, unactivate dawnguard and so forth.. Anyone else experienced this?

rowynyew

I am having the same exact problem and can't find any info on this anywhere. Please if anyone has any ideas, post!

rowynyew

Yes, but unfortunately that does say anything about how to fix the problem when going into melee mode wont work.

This is the part of that page that we are trying to do:
While in Vampire Lord form, you can choose to cast spells while hovering. You can also choose to stop hovering and go into melee mode, where you can "fight as the beasts do" with your claws.
While you are hovering above the ground, your right hand is used for the drain life spell and cannot be changed. Your left hand is used for your "blood magic" spells such as summon gargoyle and the reanimate spell. By bringing up the in-game favorites menu you can switch the spell in your right hand and your active vampire power.
To descend to the ground and enter melee mode simply press the sneak button. In this mode you fight using your claws in a similar fashion to werewolves. You may switch between modes at any time.
Your active vampire power can be used in either mode by pressing the shout button. Some powers must be briefly recharged before they can be used again.

When we press the sneak button in vampire lord form, nothing happens. So we don't go melee mode. But sneak works fine when not in vampire lord form.

Greedy_Bee

The Wiki for skyrim comments on this in the bugs section for the vampire lord. the only known fix is to reinstall dawnguard. By the way if i turn off dawnguard and then i turn it back on will i lose all my dawnguard process?

rowynyew

The Wiki for skyrim comments on this in the bugs section for the vampire lord. the only known fix is to reinstall dawnguard. By the way if i turn off dawnguard and then i turn it back on will i lose all my dawnguard process?

Please link to where it says the known fix is to reinstall dawnguard. I have not seen this posted anywhere as a fix.

Yes I believe is you reinstall dawnguard you loose your progress. You could move the save files, then put them back once you have reinstalled the game but you will just be opening the file with the bug so it wouldn't do any good. Unless someone knows another way?

rowynyew

Okay tried and it didn't work to fix the problem. save file is still intact. I uninstalled and reinstalled using nexus mod manager.

RedderMist

I am also having this problem, been searching around for the past couple of hours and haven't found anything useful. Tried disabling all mods, reinstalling dawnguard, re-patching skyrim etc. Would greatly appreciate a solution.

AJAiDS

I have been posting this bug - what I know of this bug - on the UESP Vampire Lord pages and I haven't found anything on those, but there was one place that I got a partial workaround fix for current saves that are having this problem. If you use the console to advance yourself in the quest and use the console to open the door, you can advance in the quest. However, the other problems - such as the spells and melee mode not working - will still be present.

Code:
setstage DLC1VQ02 180

Also, for those still wondering, the problem with the Creation Kit not loading Dawnguard and the vampire race not being set correctly (no glowing eyes, etc) has to deal with Dawnguard.bsa not being placed inside SkyrimEditor.ini located in the main Skyrim directory and inside Skyrim.ini located in My Documents\My Games\Skyrim

For ease, just replace [Archive] in each file with what I have below
SkyrimEditor.ini:
Code:
[Archive]
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
SArchiveList=Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Update.bsa, Dawnguard.bsa
SInvalidationFile=ArchiveInvalidation.txt
iRetainFilenameOffsetTable=1
iRetainFilenameStringTable=1
iRetainDirectoryStringTable=1
bCheckRuntimeCollisions=0
bUseArchives=1
SResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa
SResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Update.bsa, Dawnguard.bsa

Skyrim.ini:
Code:
[Archive]
sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, HighResTexturePack01.bsa, HighResTexturePack02.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa
sResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa, Update.bsa, Dawnguard.bsa

Macarony

Thankyou, been looking for a way to advance the quest without having to transform. Thought is a little bit sad not being able to use the Lord form. However, thankyou anyways :) now i can move on with the quest!

rowynyew

i have a question, is that only supposed to be there is you use the creation kit or should the part for the skyrim ini in my documents be there either way? I don't use the creation kit but i just looked and though I have dawnguard installed, there is no [archive] part in my skyrim ini

AJAiDS

SkyrimEditor.ini is only used by the Creation Kit, but Skyrim.ini is used by the game itself. If Dawnguard.bsa isn't referenced in Skyrim.ini, then you will have other bugs in the game - such as the vampire race not being complete with glowing eyes, etc. If you don't have [Archive] in Skyrim.ini you can just paste what I have in there.

EDIT:

Also, I heard reverting back to earlier saves *can* help fix this problem - such as the auto save when you enter the castle - but this never helped me.

RedderMist

Hey guys, I've managed to find what appears to be a permanent fix for not being able to attack/feed/revert etc while in vampire lord form. There is a patch hosted here that fixed it for me. Simply download and unzip the file, then copy the contents into your Skyrim folder. Hope this helps you guys out!

AJAiDS

That may or may not have been a coincidence, but reverting back to the update 9 patch didn't seem to do anything for me.

rowynyew

When I added the Archive to skyrim.ini it crashed my game.

Thanks for the spam site RedderMist. Don't bother with the update posted, the site makes you register/pay to download the update which in my eye equals spam/virus/malware.

Also, reverting to an old save did not work. Still hoping for a fix. Bethesda sent me a reply telling me to verify my cache file in Steam...didn't work for me.

RedderMist

When I added the Archive to skyrim.ini it crashed my game.

Thanks for the spam site RedderMist. Don't bother with the update posted, the site makes you register/pay to download the update which in my eye equals spam/virus/malware.

Also, reverting to an old save did not work. Still hoping for a fix. Bethesda sent me a reply telling me to verify my cache file in Steam...didn't work for me.

I'm not sure how you've arrived at that conclusion, there are 4 links for the download and neither of them make you register or pay for the download, there is the OPTION to register and pay for a premium account for faster download speeds, but it isn't mandatory.

rowynyew

So, final thoughts on this...in Steam running the game, verified like Bethesda told me to in that email again...it worked finally. I have been able to get into melee mode without a problem for a while now so yay! I would recommend to anyone, support the programmers, buy the game through steam (or wherever) and play!

Added:
I think Bethesda put something into the game to make sure people couldn't steal it and play normally...if you did not buy the game, you probably won't be able to get into melee mode. This also fixes some other issues that others have mentioned from downloaded copies.

Sean

lost somewhere
So, final thoughts on this...in Steam running the game, verified like Bethesda told me to in that email again...it worked finally. I have been able to get into melee mode without a problem for a while now so yay! I would recommend to anyone, support the programmers, buy the game through steam (or wherever) and play!

Added:
I think Bethesda put something into the game to make sure people couldn't steal it and play normally...if you did not buy the game, you probably won't be able to get into melee mode. This also fixes some other issues that others have mentioned from downloaded copies.

No, not really.

My laptop is plops, it really is. I can't play the game without it lagging to extreme lengths. I do play the game on the Xbox 360, but I use the PC version to mod my save. I am updated to 1.7.7, have the Creation Kit, have Dawnguard, and have my own version of Hearthfire (allows modding, but I had to swap the meshes and textures with something compatible with the PC, so the houses from HF look very strange) that I continue to update for people on a modding site. Basically, Skyrim on the PC IS my Creation Kit. I would not pay $40 just for a modding tool, and I paid $60 for the game already.

Hello,

Everything went fine in the Dawnguard mod and quests until I came to the "Bloodline" quest, accepted the blood gift and was turned. When I turn into a vampire lord, I can walk around and use the favourite abilities, but I can't attack or switch between melee and magic mode, ctrl, (but I can sneak in human form).

I've tried most things, redoing quest, reload, unactivate dawnguard and so forth.. Anyone else experienced this?

So, I don't have any issues like that, could be just a bug in your game. I would say to make a new character without any mods, and use the console to go through the correct quests.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts