• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Saozig

Hippy
I've run into what could be a pretty serious glitch regarding the Gardener of Men quest.

I didn't finishing reading the 1st and 2nd black books (Winds of Change and Waking Dreams) I had collected until I ended up with Neloth at Nchardak, where I acquired the 3rd book and started the Garderner of Men quest. I tried reading it then, but couldn't get anywhere--all I could do was go back and forth on the turning bridge/tunnel to one of the two landing pads with the scryes, despite activating both of them. No book there to read the next chapter and move on. So I figured I must need to read the other books first, OK?

Well I did that--both Winds of Change and Waking Dreams--and then tried to read Epistolary Acumen again but this time, the tunnel doesn't rotate at all and I can't leave the the landing area where you start after reading the book.

Also, neither time did I see Hermanus Mora above the tunnel nor did he speak to me, which I saw in a You Tube vid for a walkthrough for this quest. Don't know what that's about.

As I understand, The Garderner of Men is the second to last quest before the final quest in the main quest line. if i hadn't done the necessary prerequisites for this quest, then it shouldn't have started for me, but yet it has. And it appears I can't finish it, and thus finish the main quest line. This is a big problem.

I'm going to look for info on other forums today and see if I can't figure this out. If I do I'll post my fix. If not, I guess I'll have to abandon this character, that I've spent so much time building. :mad::mad::mad:

KattSand

Premium Member
used to be one of the luck ones, but the lost legacy quest on dragon born after completing and getin tharston to his goal i cant leave vahloks tomb..... the loading screen never ceases enyone know of a fix or way round it, all my saves are of me in vahloks tomb like a right ideot i never saved this one before entering what should i do, please help :sadface: (playin a new char in the mean time)
That's happend to me when I try to leave a building or dungeon so it's not just because of that quest. I just force shut my xbox off and restart from my last autosave and that has fixed the problem for me, I've been able to exit whatever location I was in without any problems after that.

Adam Warlock

I`ll take ugly dragons if the game will just quit freezing.

there`s an especially troublesome spot just approaching Severin Hall (the best "free" house in the game)

my belief is that the freezes there are caused by if not contributed to the area and NPC around the Earth Stone spawning in the distance .

or it may be something else entirely idk

KattSand

Premium Member
I`ll take ugly dragons if the game will just quit freezing.

there`s an especially troublesome spot just approaching Severin Hall (the best "free" house in the game)

my belief is that the freezes there are caused by if not contributed to the area and NPC around the Earth Stone spawning in the distance .

or it may be something else entirely idk
Yeah there's a certain sweet spot just as you walk up to the front door where the game freezes quite often, I never use the direct path up to the door anymore, I approach it from the side instead and have managed to avoid any problems thus far. If the game starts to lag even a little as I do that I just stop walking, a lot of hassle just to get inside my house.

Adam Warlock

I've run into what could be a pretty serious glitch regarding the Gardener of Men quest.

I didn't finishing reading the 1st and 2nd black books (Winds of Change and Waking Dreams) I had collected until I ended up with Neloth at Nchardak, where I acquired the 3rd book and started the Garderner of Men quest. I tried reading it then, but couldn't get anywhere--all I could do was go back and forth on the turning bridge/tunnel to one of the two landing pads with the scryes, despite activating both of them. No book there to read the next chapter and move on. So I figured I must need to read the other books first, OK?

Well I did that--both Winds of Change and Waking Dreams--and then tried to read Epistolary Acumen again but this time, the tunnel doesn't rotate at all and I can't leave the the landing area where you start after reading the book.

Also, neither time did I see Hermanus Mora above the tunnel nor did he speak to me, which I saw in a You Tube vid for a walkthrough for this quest. Don't know what that's about.

As I understand, The Garderner of Men is the second to last quest before the final quest in the main quest line. if i hadn't done the necessary prerequisites for this quest, then it shouldn't have started for me, but yet it has. And it appears I can't finish it, and thus finish the main quest line. This is a big problem.

I'm going to look for info on other forums today and see if I can't figure this out. If I do I'll post my fix. If not, I guess I'll have to abandon this character, that I've spent so much time building. :mad::mad::mad:
I had a similar problem with Dawnguard where a main quest stage triggered in advance of completing it`s prerequisites when Unseen Visions activated before Chasing Echoes and Beyond Death.
effect was that I could never enter the Soul Cairn to get the Blood Scroll

had to erase @ 3 weeks real time progress by reloading an elder save

Saozig

Hippy
I had a similar problem with Dawnguard where a main quest stage triggered in advance of completing it`s prerequisites when Unseen Visions activated before Chasing Echoes and Beyond Death.
effect was that I could never enter the Soul Cairn to get the Blood Scroll

had to erase @ 3 weeks real time progress by reloading an elder save

Something seem very effed up about this, from watching walkthru vids of the quest. Several things aren't right.

I guess I'll just have to see how far back my saved games go with this character. I know I still have the save right before she encountered the cultist the first time. Would hate to have to go back that far.

Hey, Bethesda, I know you have some intern reading these kinds of threads--we're not your freaking QT!

KattSand

Premium Member

I'm trying to remeber that quest, I know that some parts of apocrypha was confusing as hell and I wandered around not knowing what door that opened when I activated scryes, but I do know that the second scrye you activate in this quest is supposed to lower a second bridge so if that doesn't happen, your game must be glitched. I don't think it's required to read any of the black books before doing this quest so if it's glitched at this point...that sucks.

Adam Warlock

would note my problems most always occur in exterior spaces and freezes are rare when inside a location

zane

Ok reading up on most people issues with freezing, it sounds like clashing of some files and code. Why? because each save is different from each of another character's save. You can probably associate this to the same problem that ps3 owners find but on a greater scale.

The dynamic world that Bethesda has made is indeed a great toll on memory, and it could just be people's actions, placements, spawning of things in certain areas will cause problems with something else.

this is only a theory though, so no definite answer.

Dar'Neko

Qahnaarin
The revered dragons may be even worse Revered Dragon - The Elder Scrolls Wiki just look at that face :D With the xbox grapichs, they look even dumber. I keep getting attacked by one of those every time I enter raven rock and it always lands somewhere far in the woods so I have to chase after it to get my hard earned soul, and sometimes I don't even get my soul because SOMEONE keeps stealing them from me :rolleyes:
I actually thought the Revered Dragons looked awesome, and were a good variety on the normal Dragon you usually see. I also loved the dual Revered Dragon fight on the lake in Dawnguard. They look like a sort of brute force dragon :D

Saozig

Hippy
I'm trying to remeber that quest, I know that some parts of apocrypha was confusing as hell and I wandered around not knowing what door that opened when I activated scryes, but I do know that the second scrye you activate in this quest is supposed to lower a second bridge so if that doesn't happen, your game must be glitched. I don't think it's required to read any of the black books before doing this quest so if it's glitched at this point...that sucks.

It's glitched. I had someone else on Twitter confirm this for me--they had the same issue. Yes. It sucks. I've spent over 15 hours playing this DLC with this one character, all those side quests and favors, over 5 levels, the improved/enchanted armor & weapons she has, her knowledge of the new Morrowind alchemy ingredients...and her Rock Raven house :sadface:

Also I know this probably isn't that dire, but whenever I put on the Blackguard hood my person becomes bald..

Just throwing that out there.

RespectTheNetch

Gah. I'm trying to use my arrows on those spinning Dwemer things in Fahlbtharz Boilery. Now I know why they call it the boilery; because every time I shoot it, it doesn't register, making me boiling mad! Hah. Get it? Cause I'm extremely angry right now. Perhaps it's just my archery skills or my impatience, but this puzzle is really getting to me right now.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
Well, looks like I won't be getting the Dragonborn DLC now, not after seeing all this. Dawnguard was a major headache, and wasn't even worth getting unless you wanted a bunch of glitches and important NPCs to die from random vampire attacks. Now, it looks like Dragonborn is a waste of time too. :mad:

RespectTheNetch

Gah. I'm trying to use my arrows on those spinning Dwemer things in Fahlbtharz Boilery. Now I know why they call it the boilery; because every time I shoot it, it doesn't register, making me boiling mad! Hah. Get it? Cause I'm extremely angry right now. Perhaps it's just my archery skills or my impatience, but this puzzle is really getting to me right now.
HerpaDerp. I didn't realize that it was a numbers game in that puzzle. Thought it was a time trial. This is what I get for not reading the journal beforehand. #FacePalm.

Dar'Neko

Qahnaarin
Well, looks like I won't be getting the Dragonborn DLC now, not after seeing all this. Dawnguard was a major headache, and wasn't even worth getting unless you wanted a bunch of glitches and important NPCs to die from random vampire attacks. Now, it looks like Dragonborn is a waste of time too. :mad:

There are the bugs, but it is way more impressive than the content in Dawnguard. There is a whole new area for one, and the story and quests are just awesome! I would still recommend it.

Saozig

Hippy
I'd recommend waiting until a patch comes out if you're this wary.(I didn't know NPCs get weeded out in Dawnguard....not sure I want it now myself...but that's of-ftopic)

On the bright side, a lot of people have been able to finish the main quest. Not sure why it glitched for me. Doesn't seem to be the majority experience.

I'm bummed that there doesn't appear to be a fix for my glitch in the Gardener of Men quest (and I wish I understood why Bethesda is so failing us in the QT department), but I don't regret buying it or spending the time playing it. I've had a lot of fun. It's renewed the overall game for me. I hardly would call it a waste of time. And what would I spent that $20 on anyways? Starbucks and gummibears? Probably.

Pharaun159

In the Temple of Miraak, quite a few of the draugr coffins popped open with them falling out dead, that was funny.

The dunmer lady you kill that owns the house you get later, she won't de-spawn, so I tossed her body in the fireplace.

Last and most importantly. I finished the main questline, but I am unable to go back to Apocrypha again when I read "Waking Dreams" so I can reset my skill perks. Anyone know a possible fix?
Have to be in solstiem for the books to work

Grim 0

Have to be in solstiem for the books to work
I was in Solstheim. All the other books work just fine except for Waking Dreams. No one knows of any fix?

In response to the person about Blackguard hood making their character bald, that's because you're a vampire. Same glitch happens with any other hood of the model. But you can put something else on with it and wear both, and it will replace the bald model.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts