Politics, Politics, Politics

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

theoperation

Hero of Jorvasskr
I would weigh into this debate about religion and politics, however:

250px-Cole_Phelps.png

Friends who want to stay friends don't discuss religion or politics.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.

250px-Cole_Phelps.png

Good point.

I'm not friends with most of the people on this thread anyway though :p

Omega Dragon

I don't agree. One bit.

Because of the idea that "we shouldn't discuss religion/politics at the dinner table / or with friends", people have become far too much politically inept when instead there's no better group to discuss politics with than one's friends: as you'll help them learn, help you learn, and manage to build upon friendship with other groups of people through the discussion politics and religion. Not that you may lose some friends, or that you won't be friends with some people, but it's usually the insecure people - whom probably shouldn't be your friends or family - that would be on the losing hand, not you.

Now: religion being in bed with politics.

The idea of a "wall of separation between church and state" is noble and yet, though I wouldn't say it hasn't been "fruitless", hasn't really helped. People on the "religion has no place in politics" side need to understand that even less-religious people are going to have their convictions - however which way you may disagree with them - while people on the other side need to understand that their political choices are going to effect everyone else. (Because sometimes, it'll just come back to bite either groups in the ass, as has been done numerous times and just makes everything else worse.)

theoperation

Hero of Jorvasskr
I don't agree. One bit.

Because of the idea that "we shouldn't discuss religion/politics at the dinner table / or with friends", people have become far too much politically inept when instead there's no better group to discuss politics with than one's friends: as you'll help them learn, help you learn, and manage to build upon friendship with other groups of people through the discussion politics and religion. Not that you may lose some friends, or that you won't be friends with some people, but it's usually the insecure people - whom probably shouldn't be your friends or family - that would be on the losing hand, not you.

I have lost a few friends, or at least destroyed any chance of making friends over politics and religion. The only time I was the one who dropped the friendship was with someone who used their religion as an excuse to hate homosexuals. All other times though they didn't seem to take kindly to my athiestic liberal beliefs. But you are probably right saying that they were never worth being friends with to begin with. I have friends who are conservative and we have no problem discussing politics. I am a little bit more nervous about discussing what I really think about relgion with my relgious friends and family members, as they tend to hold relgious views more dearly than political ones. For example I have some family members who belong to a church that does that speaking in tongues. I haven't told them that I think it's an absolute crock of poop and that it's bat-plops crazy, mainly because I still want there to be a positive relationship between us.

But mainly I wanted to quote Cole Phelps :p

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
I have lost a few friends, or at least destroyed any chance of making friends over politics and religion. The only time I was the one who dropped the friendship was with someone who used their religion as an excuse to hate homosexuals. All other times though they didn't seem to take kindly to my athiestic liberal beliefs. But you are probably right saying that they were never worth being friends with to begin with. I have friends who are conservative and we have no problem discussing politics. I am a little bit more nervous about discussing what I really think about relgion with my relgious friends and family members, as they tend to hold relgious views more dearly than political ones. For example I have some family members who belong to a church that does that speaking in tongues. I haven't told them that I think it's an absolute crock of poop and that it's bat-pl*** crazy, mainly because I still want there to be a positive relationship between us.

For me, over the internet at least, talking about religion to friends has caused more problems than it hoped to solve. So I stopped trying.

Hargood

Defender of Helpless Kittens
I have lost a few friends, or at least destroyed any chance of making friends over politics and religion. The only time I was the one who dropped the friendship was with someone who used their religion as an excuse to hate homosexuals. All other times though they didn't seem to take kindly to my athiestic liberal beliefs. But you are probably right saying that they were never worth being friends with to begin with. I have friends who are conservative and we have no problem discussing politics. I am a little bit more nervous about discussing what I really think about relgion with my relgious friends and family members, as they tend to hold relgious views more dearly than political ones. For example I have some family members who belong to a church that does that speaking in tongues. I haven't told them that I think it's an absolute crock of poop and that it's bat-pl*** crazy, mainly because I still want there to be a positive relationship between us.

I know I'm not everybody, but I honestly get bored with people that agree with me all the time on issues like that lol. So don't worry, you can disagree with me anytime, and I won't burn down your embassy. :D

But this hasn't really gotten into a Religious debate yet (thank god--eer I meant thank what god you do or don't believe in) in this thread. My comment wasn't so much of a defense as it was another way of looking at the "Gay marriage/civil union" issue. If you disagree with my statement, I'm totally cool with that (and I can be known to be wrong ...sometimes.....well, maybe 1 in a 1000..jk). I don't think anything ill of people that have something logical to say.

I will say I honestly will not talk religion with people on the internet though. When it starts to get into what I understand vs what someone else understands about religion, that becomes the fastest way to get me to shut up lol. I won't make comments on Youtube videos, or other forums ever. I'll read what they have to say sometimes but I don't engage. Some people might say I should stand up for myself, but once you type a sentence to the subject, people call it "Preaching" and say "Leave me alone, I don't want to be preached to".... It becomes a catch twenty-two of blame.

...I don't blame Thiests or Athiests for that, I feel it's just the "Ninniot" majority of the Internet all together (trying to find a word between "Niinny and Idiot" and couldn't do it)

theoperation

Hero of Jorvasskr
I know I'm not everybody, but I honestly get bored with people that agree with me all the time on issues like that lol. So don't worry, you can disagree with me anytime, and I won't burn down your embassy. :D

But this hasn't really gotten into a Religious debate yet (thank god--eer I meant thank what god you do or don't believe in) in this thread. My comment wasn't so much of a defense as it was another way of looking at the "Gay marriage/civil union" issue. If you disagree with my statement, I'm totally cool with that (and I can be known to be wrong ...sometimes.....well, maybe 1 in a 1000..jk). I don't think anything ill of people that have something logical to say.

I will say I honestly will not talk religion with people on the internet though. When it starts to get into what I understand vs what someone else understands about religion, that becomes the fastest way to get me to shut up lol. I won't make comments on Youtube videos, or other forums ever. I'll read what they have to say sometimes but I don't engage. Some people might say I should stand up for myself, but once you type a sentence to the subject, people call it "Preaching" and say "Leave me alone, I don't want to be preached to".... It becomes a catch twenty-two of blame.

...I don't blame Thiests or Athiests for that, I feel it's just the "Ninniot" majority of the Internet all together (trying to find a word between "Niinny and Idiot" and couldn't do it)

The internet is a hard place to debate anything. Something to do with not having to look another human being in the eye brings out the worst in people. I've seen people insult the crap out of each other over pointless things like the Imperials vs Stormcloaks debate (thankfully the debate on this forum is very civil and constructive).

So when it comes to something like religion, which is something that people hold very, very close to their heart and hard to debate face to face without getting heated, then the gloves truly come off and you're often just left with a bunch of people hurling insults at each other.

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
While I disagree that you lose friends over arguing about beliefs or values (unless you really weren't friends in the first place), I both love and hate debating about such things, especially over the internet. It is great to see the other side of a story but at the same time 9/10 in an online debate, no ground is gained or loss. No one changes their god damn mind, its always a circlejerk going around and around and no one owns up to being wrong, everyone is right.

I do love how things are kept civil here, usually anyways, its very different than the rest of the internet. I won't even bother to debate Religion (especially Creationism because that plops just makes me facepalm) because I firmly believe that its a cesspool for ignorance and bias. I don't mean to offend any Religious people who aren't, I have full respect for people such as this but that's just from experience.

Pingu

a.k.a Charlie Goodvibes
While I disagree that you lose friends over arguing about beliefs or values (unless you really weren't friends in the first place), I both love and hate debating about such things, especially over the internet.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. If someone will argue with you to the point that the relationship cannot be maintained over either politics or religion, he/she simply does not respect the fact that your opinion differs from his/her own. I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't call a dude/dudette like that a true kemosabe.

My aunt is a Bible fanatic. She once literally told me: ''If it is in the Bible, it happened.'' That, to me, was an interesting challenge and I nearly made her head explode when I asked how one senior citizen managed to build a giant boat and round up 2 of every animal without getting bitten by venomous snakes, trampled by large mammals or getting pecked in the balls by a penguin.

But since this thread is about politics, allow me to smoothly get it back on topic with the following image.
mittsark.jpg

Medea

The Shadow Queen
Too close to call at this point! I knew it was going to be close....

Medea

The Shadow Queen
It all comes down to Florida and Ohio right now.... f***fin' Florida AGAIN! lol

Hargood

Defender of Helpless Kittens
It all comes down to Florida and Ohio right now.... f***fin' Florida AGAIN! lol
Well I just saw that the Dem's are keeping the Senate Majority So now.. It's Over. It doesn't even really matter who becomes the President at this point. Harry Reed will sit on every bill and things will be just like they have been and the Country will be in the same direction.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
Obama wins re-election. To my republican friends, Romney gave it a good go.... but now it's time for me to party!! :)

Brizzle Kicks

Welcome To The Underground
I went to bed at around 1am and Romney was ahead something like 80-64 woke up this morning and Obama stormed home. Iv'e got to admit I'm pretty happy, Romney's foreign policy scared me from what I read about his views on China,Iran and Palastine.

Six Gun Tarot

Power is Power
Seems like Colorado and Washington passed recreational pot, seems like we are finally catching up with the rest of world when it comes to that subject.

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
Seems like Colorado and Washington passed recreational pot, seems like we are finally catching up with the rest of world when it comes to that subject.

While I support the legalization of marijuana, I'd say that America is one of the first rather then "catching up" lol, in almost all countries its still illegal (besides maybe 4 or 5)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts