Photos that shook the world

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
There's been a few... peculiar threads about in the last few months so I thought why not start one of my own?

This is basically a place to add any historical photos which have had any sort of significant impact upon the world, 'shaking' it so to speak. You all know the rules about which sort of content is allowed and not, but if there's a particularly gruesome one then it would be best to put some kind of spoiler tag in front. Aside from that you're welcome to post anything that takes your fancy, can be from any era or period too.

I'll start with a relatively well known one - the Soviet flag perched atop a building in Berlin in 1945, essentially signifying the end of WWII, I believe.

Berlin.jpg

It will be interesting to see some lesser known ones in here too. If it's more obscure then it would be wise to post some sort of explanation to go along with it. Enjoy!

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Being forced to watch all of the 9/11 coverage from home on the television because I was 8 months pregnant, I saw a lot of the same horrible footage as everyone else. But my grandfather was a firefighter for 33 years. Many of our friends were killed and we knew many more families that were affected by the act of terrorism.

This is the one image that stuck with me most after all this time:

judge.jpg

That's Father Mychal, one of the chaplains of FDNY, being carried out. When the towers were hit, he came to the scene then entered the lobby one of the towers to minister to those injured or dying. When the towers fell, he was killed. He's the first confirmed fatality of the attacks.

We have all seen thousands of images of the buildings themselves falling. This was the first image I saw that really drove home the true human element of the tragedy at the time.

Clau

The Fateless One
There's been a few... peculiar threads about in the last few months so I thought why not start one of my own?

This is basically a place to add any historical photos which have had any sort of significant impact upon the world, 'shaking' it so to speak. You all know the rules about which sort of content is allowed and not, but if there's a particularly gruesome one then it would be best to put some kind of spoiler tag in front. Aside from that you're welcome to post anything that takes your fancy, can be from any era or period too.

I'll start with a relatively well known one - the Soviet flag perched atop a building in Berlin in 1945, essentially signifying the end of WWII, I believe.

Berlin.jpg

It will be interesting to see some lesser known ones in here too. If it's more obscure then it would be wise to post some sort of explanation to go along with it. Enjoy!

Great photo. It reminds me of a quote from Joseph Goebbels about the Soviet occupation of what was to be East Germany after the world war 2.

"An iron curtain would fall over this enormous territory controlled by the Soviet Union, behind which nations would be slaughtered.”

Clau

The Fateless One
Palo, Leyte (Philippine Islands) October 20, 1944: General Douglas MacArthur lands in Leyte gulf with the aid of Task Force 61. The culmination of the US Navy's pacific island hopping campaign in world war 2. This picture is symbolic for the Philippines island nation as a sign of liberation under the Japanese empire. To the west, this was symbolic as the war in the pacific now heavily favors the US and its allies against the waning Axis presence of the east.

wwii1113.jpg
We erected a monument in recognition of that day in the same spot.​
leyte-landing-memorial.jpg

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
Great entries so far, thank you all for contributing. NDirish, it could very well be my slow computer but it seems that image isn't loading completely.

EDIT: Indeed it was my computer! Great find all the same.

Irish

Thane of Solitude
Great entries so far, thank you all for contributing. NDirish, it could very well be my slow computer but it seems that image isn't loading completely.

EDIT: Indeed it was my computer! Great find all the same.

Oh, good - I'm glad it loaded. Thanks for letting me know, by the way. I'm on a tablet, so posting pictures can be a bit tricky.

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
2ff.jpg
Mountbatten_Jinnah.jpg

Pakistan's Independence

Although Jinnah and Lord Mountbatten were enemies, these pictures shows independence was achieved in a civilized manner.

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
Also the photographer thought it was better to take a snap instead of saving the kid

Yeah.. the whole scenario does seem kinda dodgy. I hope something was done to help that kid, instead of just snapshots of his dying throes.

Stephen Daidalus

Yeah.. the whole scenario does seem kinda dodgy. I hope something was done to help that kid, instead of just snapshots of his dying throes.

The photographer did not. He also killed himself a few years later. But I don't think that changes the fact that the image had a powerful effect on those who saw it.

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
The photographer did not. He also killed himself a few years later. But I don't think that changes the fact that the image had a powerful effect on those who saw it.

Whoa, never knew the pic had such a tragic history behind it (in addition to the obvious tragedy it depicts). Morbid curiosity is prompting me to google it now..

Docta Corvina

AbuGhraibAbuse-standing-on-box.jpg

This one has become iconic of the gross abuses and human rights violations on the part of some US military personnel (and members of other agencies, reportedly) at Abu Ghraib Prison in Iraq. These were said to have taken place between 2003 and 2004.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts