• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Mi-Ilu Yahaz

Okay everyone, since this has yet to show up on this part of the forums, I thought I'd put this up. Of course by now, there is a lot of hype over the Elder Scrolls Online from its character customization, all the way to the Holy Megaserver. But the one question I have for the developers is: Will the game will be 'Buy 2 Play'?
Now we all know how much work it takes to make a video game... Well a good one anyway. It would be no surprise that an MMO would take just as make work, if not more. They have to update the entire game, for every single player, when problems appear, be on the look out for hackers, keep players engaged, ect. Things like this can to get expensive. But is it enough reason to ask players to subscribe to monthly fees to play a game they already paid for? (I hear some of you saying yes out there)
At this point, you might be thinking I'm getting on the the developers on this issue. I'm not though. I save that fire for my eternal hate for ME3 (LOL). I'm just one of those people that doesn't see the point in getting a game I continuously have to pay for to play with other people, when chances are, I am going to play solo for a good portion of the time. This of course comes from my experience with SWTOR. I got the game, and paid for the first few months, only to find that I got bored of it quickly, there was hardly any co-op components in-game, ect. So I just lost a few months worth of money subs. At that point, I was not very happy.
Also, we must look at the groups that the game is targeting. There are the MMO'ers and the Elder Scrolls fans... I would think that a vast amount of people. From these two large groups, there would be a large income of finances with a single purchase. There is also the prospect, that each person in these groups would tell their friends about this game, and their friends, who may not even belong to these groups, may be more inclined to purchase it when they find it is a 'buy to play' game; Leading to a larger increase of players and income. We must also future extra content. With a 'but to play' game, players can be more inclined to future DLC for the game, simply because they can afford it. So the number of people buying extra stuff goes up, as does the companies income.
So, from my perspective, it makes more sense to make a game such as this B2P. But this is my own opinion, as crazy as it may be. So, what do you all think? What are your opinions on the options the devs have for payments?

Note: I started this topic because I read that the devs have yet to decide if they want P2P or B2P... But then I saw this: The Elder Scrolls Online will carry a monthly subscription fee says consultant | Digital Trends
I know it might be false but still... My heart broke a little. I heard it in my dresser drawer.

Soloquendi

Pastor of Muppets
I like P2P. It keeps the riffraff out and the quality up. Besides, these games are addictive and the F2P games tend to take advantage of this with their cash shops, where some people spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on it.

I would like to see a 30 day free trial though, so people can decide whether they like it or not before spending any money.

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
Honestly, I have no problems with a monthly subscription....and if it winds up like me and Netflix (use it for 3 months, get bored, and cancel) then so be it. Now, if I gotta shell out $60 to download it and THEN a monthly fee....screw you guys, I'm a broke college student, blow me. Someone's gotta be coming up with a Skyrim co-op mod...

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts