Once, just once, let's have a rational discussion about incest.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

FullmetalHeart20

Sticky runes? Is this reall on par with bodily injury? I don't believe that comparison is entirely appropriate.
Now, lastphoenix raised an interesting point. People seem to think that if certain forms of incest were legal, than it would become more common. Now I don't know about you guys, but some law won't make me suddenly horny for my brothers. It's a rarity. We won't get some inbred dystopia, or any great increase in genetic defects.

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
That may be the case with the law, but society is a different matter. Social conditioning makes the very subject something unpleasant. In this day and age, it's not a deformed baby that dooms incest. It's how the people in one's life react when they find out about it.
And for the record, I didn't imply anything. The revulsion people have towards this is about more than just offspring.
I can't stress enough how hopeless it is to wonder how some people think or try to control there decisions in most cases. The fact that society has flaws is so numerous and virtually unhelpable in this day and age, that it does no real good questioning it on a gaming forum.

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
And what is the rational defense for homosexuality? That it's more common than people think?
I believe that's already been explained to you by another member.

Stephen Daidalus

This thread really took off. FullmetalHeart20, have you considered a career as talk show host?

Anyway, I can see no moral reason why, in the abstract, 2 siblings who undergo extensive genetic testing, or who intend not to have children together, should be prevented from enjoying sexual relations with each other, since the major argument against incest seems to be concerned with the possibility of birth defects.

There has been at least one case of a couple in the UK who found out just prior to marrying that they were fathered by the same sperm donor. Do we shudder quite so much at the thought of them marrying?

I do not. I wonder why that is.

I don't think it's the problem of birth defects so much as the tremendously damaging effect sexual relations among close relatives can have on families. Sibling rivalry, scape-goating, favoritism can all be devastating to an even slightly dysfunctional family. Add incest to the mix and the result is a permanent invitation to the Jerry Springer show.

I can't imagine being attracted to my siblings or parents. In fact, the thought fills me with horror. But as we confront the technological realities of the 21st century, including a shortage of sperm donors resulting in some men fathering hundreds, if not thousands, of children, families with multiple step children, multiple parents, surrogate pregnancy, etc, at some point we may need to revisit our ideas about these things.

sticky runes

Sticky runes? Is this reall on par with bodily injury? I don't believe that comparison is entirely appropriate.

I was being metaphorical. My point there was that just because something is not as bad as another thing doesn't mean it's good or right. If somebody tells me they're sleeping with their cousin, I won't be as freaked out by it as much as if somebody tells me they're doing their own brother or sister. I still won't think it's a brilliant idea, though.

This is gonna be my final post on this subject, because all you seem to do is go around in circles with your questions.

If you're shagging your cousin, you're only an aunt or uncle away from doing your sibling.
If you're shagging your uncle, you're only a grandparent away from doing your dad.
If you and you're relatives can live with yourselves doing that, if it doesn't bother you, then that's your concern not mine, but it's a way of life I'd rather not be associated with. I've given my reasons for disagreeing with incestuous relationships, and that's all I really came here for, to give my opinion on the subject. If my reasons aren't good enough to satisfy your curiosities, tough tits.

Mookie

This is a troll thread. Fullmetal got his answers and is now changing topics/challenge/goals and turned this thread into a circle of same arguments and counterarguments. STOP!
You got your answers. Now go away and breed with your cousin/sibling/parent if that is what you want. WE DONT CARE

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
We still have a long way to go before gay marriage is commonly accepted, incest can wait in my opinion.

Yea, but the bible already is okay with incest. Even if you have to read between the lines to come to that conclusion.

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
This is a troll thread. Fullmetal got his answers and is now changing topics/challenge/goals and turned this thread into a circle of same arguments and counterarguments. STOP!
You got your answers. Now go away and breed with your cousin/sibling/parent if that is what you want. WE DONT CARE

This isn't a troll thread, lol. This is just a controversial discussion thread. Trust me on that one, it's obviously worked on you. What the fluff else are we gonna do on these forums, talk about Skyrim forever? Stop getting so worked up, you look foolish.

Yea, but the bible already is okay with incest. Even if you have to read between the lines to come to that conclusion.

I don't think Adam and Eve is one of those things you have to read between the lines to understand how that works :p

As for the original topic, fluff no. To put it bluntly. From what I've gathered, incest offspring may not have any serious health complication in the first generation, and maybe not even in the second generation but inevitably your babies will get fluffed up if your lucky enough to get past those 1st 2 generations.

I have a sister, and the thought of it is just revolting..completely. I love my sister, she is my best friend, really, but I do not, under any circumstances, understand how people look at their siblings/relatives in a sexual way. This isn't what "society has told me to think" or whatever bullplops that is, this is what my motherfluffing brain is telling me.

The issue of adults/children shouldn't be an issue at all. There is an age of consent for a reason. Children/teenagers are naive as fluff and easily taken advantage of. That's it, that's all. When they become an adult and still think its a good idea, then geddit.

I understand that at some point incest had to happen so the human race could expand, but I think the circumstances behind the reasoning there is different. There weren't many humans at that time to begin with, obviously and humans were more barbaric. We're civilized now, boy and girls. We don't have monarchies anymore, we don't need to keep the kingdom in the family at any cost. I think it should be illegal, at least for immediate family members. Cousin-lovers can go for gold, but lets be honest its a lil weird. Call me crazy.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts