Once, just once, let's have a rational discussion about incest.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

FullmetalHeart20

I'll start right off the bat by saying I have no feelings towards my own siblings, and I don't see the appeal of incest. That being said, what are we really worried about? Siblings can still be consenting adults, and there are some couples who are totally unrelated who have a bigger chance of passing genetic defects. So how come when an otherwise good person starts dating her brother, she receives such hatred and disgust that one would think she's a serial rapist?

FullmetalHeart20

Brizzle Kicks

Welcome To The Underground
But why? I understand if there's a genuine reason, but so far I don't see one. No one's forcing anyone to do it with their family, so if you think it's gross fine. But why do people feel the need to force that decision on others?

I have no idea why people force their views on others but that is my opinion and I'm sticking to it what other people think or do is up to them.

But incest can lead to loads of complications if you have a kid like deformities to mental and learning difficulties as well as more serious health problems later on in life. I can't say I'm an expert in the field by any means but that's why I think it's wrong.

FullmetalHeart20

I have no idea why people force their views on others but that is my opinion and I'm sticking to it what other people think or do is up to them.

But incest can lead to loads of complications if you have a kid like deformities to mental and learning difficulties as well as more serious health problems later on in life. I can't say I'm an expert in the field by any means but that's why I think it's wrong.
So carriers of hemophilia, brittle bone disease, and Down syndrome should never get married? It should be illegal for families with histories of heart disease or obesity to breed? Maybe if that happened then cancer would be wiped out.
I respect all opinions on the subject, but there is only one reason why incest is illegal, and it's never held up before.

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Is incest illegal? or just overall socially unaccepted? Also you say some couples have a higher chance of defects yet have no proof of it. Honestly it is more socially unaccepted, and only a minority feel such ways that the majority sees it as wrong. Also limiting the gene pool even if there were not other defects (the stereotypical joke about extra fingers or toes) leads to extinction which is bad for obvious reasons...

Karen

boop.
It's a social stigma that comes from it being a proven and widely known way to cause genetic defects. Yes, other people have the chance of passing on mutations as well, but it's not taboo for them to have sex. Is there really a "why" in social stigmas? Why is polygamy illegal? There are no victims in such relationships, it just goes against society's idea of a "right" relationship.

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
How would you define incest? It's a broad, sweeping term. To my knowledge the royal families have been inbreeding for centuries to keep their bloodlines pure. Also, relationships among cousins aren't forbidden by law in most countries, even though they may be frowned upon as socially unacceptable in some.

I haven't thought about this topic enough to have formed an unwavering opinion, but relationships between cousins or even more distant relatives.. I don't know if I see any harm in that as long as both parties are consenting. However, relationships between siblings or parents and their children.. that is just wrong and sick, not only because it greatly increases the risk of genetic defects and mutations, but also because it is an affront to everything the human family stands for. Parents are supposed to provide for their children and protect them from the dangers of the world.. not f'ck them :vomit:

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
sex between close relatives: sexual activity between two people who are considered, for moral or genetic reasons, too closely related to have such a relationship.

Karen

boop.
I agree with Monolith, on a smaller scale it's more of a social problem than genetic, especially if the bonds are close. I think the nature of a romantic relationship and familial bonds are very different, and to add a romantic aspect to the bond changes and complicates everything. Of course, I can't speak for every family out there, but parents are supposed to look out for their children, and the bonds between siblings aren't really the same as ones between friends or peers.

There's more to a relationship than just sex in most cases; if a brother and sister start dating, it's not just adding sex to a familial relationship, but the complications and emotions that come with dating as well. What happens if you "break up" with your brother? Normal separated couples have the option to, you know, separate, but I can't see how a functional family would work that out without making things weird.

FullmetalHeart20

Believe me, parent/child should be a line that can never be crossed. I simply believe that as long as it's two consenting adults, any effort to stop a relationship would do more harm than the act itself. As for making things weird, I suggest you get used to it. Weird situations happen all the time.

FullmetalHeart20

Is incest illegal? or just overall socially unaccepted? Also you say some couples have a higher chance of defects yet have no proof of it. Honestly it is more socially unaccepted, and only a minority feel such ways that the majority sees it as wrong. Also limiting the gene pool even if there were not other defects (the stereotypical joke about extra fingers or toes) leads to extinction which is bad for obvious reasons...
Female carriers of hemophilia have a 50% chance of making a carrier for a daughter, or a hemophiliac son.
http://www.thereforyou.com/understanding-hemophilia/hemophilia-genetics/
The strongest inbreeding coefficient short of self fertilization is 25%. That's the chance that they share two paired alleles.
http://www.genetic-genealogy.co.uk/Toc115570144.html
So there's a 50% risk on one side, and a 25% risk on the other. Even then, shared genes only increases the risk of defects, while hemophilia will always cause one in a male.
You admitted yourself that it's a minority that truly want an incestuous relationship, so how does that risk extinction? We're already overpopulation as it is. We went form tens of millions to billions in a century. I'd say we're safe.
But why should all this matter? It's icky.

Brizzle Kicks

Welcome To The Underground
So carriers of hemophilia, brittle bone disease, and Down syndrome should never get married? It should be illegal for families with histories of heart disease or obesity to breed? Maybe if that happened then cancer would be wiped out.
I respect all opinions on the subject, but there is only one reason why incest is illegal, and it's never held up before.

Wow slow down where the fuc# did I say that:D . You asked the question about a girl dating her brother and I gave my opinion granted I was taking the piss in the first thread. But I was short on time and the title of the thread made me laugh so I thought I would check it out quickly before I had to nip off.

I would also like to know this reason why it's illegal and never held up before it's that alright.

Mookie

For being such a staunch defender of Incest I highly doubt you dont have some personal stakes in it.
As of why it is wrong:

I. Morals
II. Increase in genetic deformities and huge increase in chances for horrible diseases

Human beings are hedonists. From the begining humans had sex wiht relatives, parents etc... THen trough development of term family some limitations were placed. First between parents and children. then among siblings. And then relatives. Humans love sex. They also had hundreds of thousands of years to do it. Yet they decided to give up on it. There must be a good reason.

sticky runes

I see incest as a form of somebody abusing their position towards a family member.

For example, if you commit incest with your own child, you are abusing your role as the parent. you brought this child into the world, it has been your duty to protect and teach the child and ensure that they have a healthy, happy life. Sure, parents should warn and educate children about sex and relationship matters. But eventually, you trust your child to go out and explore the world and experience romance and intimacy on their own terms. By bringing a sexual element to a parent/child relationship, you're violating that trust.

FullmetalHeart20

Wow slow down where the fuc# did I say that:D . You asked the question about a girl dating her brother and I gave my opinion granted I was taking the piss in the first thread. But I was short on time and the title of the thread made me laugh so I thought I would check it out quickly before I had to nip off.

I would also like to know this reason why it's illegal and never held up before it's that alright.
Sorry if I upset you. I'm just pointing out that inbreeding is far from the only source of defects. In fact, since that's so rare, it's more likely to inherit genetic diseases from parents who have relatively little relation.

FullmetalHeart20

For being such a staunch defender of Incest I highly doubt you dont have some personal stakes in it.
As of why it is wrong:

I. Morals
II. Increase in genetic deformities and huge increase in chances for horrible diseases

Human beings are hedonists. From the begining humans had sex wiht relatives, parents etc... THen trough development of term family some limitations were placed. First between parents and children. then among siblings. And then relatives. Humans love sex. They also had hundreds of thousands of years to do it. Yet they decided to give up on it. There must be a good reason.
I never said I supported incest. I'm just against banning it. Pretty much every argument against it is already allowed outside the family. Siblings already create bad home environments and marry people who could pass on a genetic disability. The only times people make a big deal about that stuff is when it's with each other. So that pretty much makes society hypocritical, which I don't like.
As for "It's always been that way, they must have a good reason", when has anything good ever come from that thinking? Really, look at a history book. Anytime that was the basis of an argument, it's pretty much a sign that it's a weak one.

FullmetalHeart20

I see incest as a form of somebody abusing their position towards a family member.

For example, if you commit incest with your own child, you are abusing your role as the parent. you brought this child into the world, it has been your duty to protect and teach the child and ensure that they have a healthy, happy life. Sure, parents should warn and educate children about sex and relationship matters. But eventually, you trust your child to go out and explore the world and experience romance and intimacy on their own terms. By bringing a sexual element to a parent/child relationship, you're violating that trust.
Because clearly that's what I'm supporting here, and all incest is parent/child. (That's sarcasm, people).

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts