• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

Kivuli_The_Khajit

Werewolf Queen of Skyrim
    Mhm. The Black Hand's uniform is usually rather tight-fitting, each one tailored to each member's social status. The Listener is the faceless one, nobody in public know her/his status in the BH, and nobody in the BH knows thier Listener's identity. I'll have sketches of attire up soon.

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    I haven't thought of anything better than what Grapefruit thought of so this is the gear I suggest for the Black Tower.

- APPAREL -

The Black Tower's members wear a simple, fitted, black, short-sleeved T-shirt with no outstanding markings. A pair of fitted (not tight, to act as a happy-medium between freedom of movement and silence) black leather and fabric pants. The pants would be primarily leather with fabric around the knees and groin to ensure that movement is not restricted at all.

The chosen footwear of the Black Tower is a simple pair of thin, soft-soled black boots focused primarily on muffling footsteps. Members also have black fabric arm-guards that cover the hands and forearms, but leave the fingers exposed. This is solely to minimize cuts and scrapes to the hands and forearms while negotiating rooftops.

Nothing worn by the Black Tower can be considered armor, as it provides no protection from incoming blades and bullets.

- WEAPONRY -

I struggled with choosing a blade for The Black Tower, but I believe the Falcata is a good fit.

It is a one-handed sword with an inward curve and one of the most effective ancient swords.

3.jpg

I suggest that The Black Tower carry this sword in a leather scabbard attached to the thigh.

I considered a hip-mounted scabbard, but those are rather loose and clank around when running.

A back-mounted scabbard isn't as bad, but it would get in the way when rolling.

- MARK OF MEMBERSHIP -

Since The Black Tower's members wear no outstanding logo/symbol, I suggest they have some unique tattoo on their body. However, I'm not sure what tattoo I want for them just yet.

What do you guys think?

EDIT:

Grapefruit came up with the killer idea of having members of The Black Tower have a black tattoo of a rook on their chest, over the heart.

Last edited:

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    I really like that idea!

Tattoo of a rook it is!

Wauten Dayhil

Demon Hunter and Wordplay Extraordinaire
    Oh, @Zweihander would the majority of Khajiits live in Black Marsh with the Argonians? If they're looked down on as beasts, they'd likely be thrown out of their ancestral home, wouldn't they? Or would the rivalry between Khajiit and Argonians remain, and so they wouldn't be allowed into the swamps? Because the only other way I could see Khajiits continuing their existence would be to take up a very nomadic way of life.

Zweihander

Oh, @Zweihander would the majority of Khajiits live in Black Marsh with the Argonians? If they're looked down on as beasts, they'd likely be thrown out of their ancestral home, wouldn't they? Or would the rivalry between Khajiit and Argonians remain, and so they wouldn't be allowed into the swamps? Because the only other way I could see Khajiits continuing their existence would be to take up a very nomadic way of life.

The anti-beast sentiment isn't very strong in the Meridian Republic, which occupies the majority of former Elsewyr which houses most of the Khajiit. So they live in mostly harmony there. There could also be pockets of Khajiit and Argonian populations in the Confederation.

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    A couple of things:

1.) According to lore, the Black Marsh is only hospitable by the Argonians due to some kind of plague - the same one that allegedy wiped out Lilthmohiit (or however you spell it) so other races living in Black Marsh would be impossible unless advancements in technology have eradicated the plague and made the region livable - to a point - by other races.

2.) Zweihander, what do you think about the gear for The Black Tower? I know you mentioned them having some kind of hooded robes, but Grapefruit and I agreed that it would stick out and not make much sense in public. Also, lots of loose clothing creates greater noise and has a much higher chance of snagging on something while negotiating a rooftop.

3.) You mentioned an idea for The Black Tower where they are persecuted and hunted down by governments, adding a level of danger to the mix. Personally, I really like that idea, and it's reasonable to assume any government would take action to put down an assassin group. However, I was wondering if there are any corrupt governments or government officials who use the services of The Black Tower and grant them sanctuary within their holds?

4.) I know you have removed dragons from the RP, however I'm curious about Trolls, Spriggans, and the like. Are they still around? Possibly thwarting cities and outlying establishments. Or have they been mostly eradicated like dragons?

5.) This is mostly aimed at Skyrim, or Skyra as I think it's now named. Are the holds across the land still a thing? Or has Skyra been unified under a single rule and the holds are just major cities now? If the holds still exist, what are their names? If not, has anything replaced them?

Wauten Dayhil

Yes, there was a plague, but it was - so far as I know - a onetime thing. It swept through, killed most, and then died off. Since everything else was immune, how would it continue to spread? Besides which, there have been groups of non-Argonians living in Black Marsh. The Argonian Accounts should prove that while a very uncomfortable situation to live in, it is possible. Assuming you're not paralyzed and thrown into a river.

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    Yes, there was a plague, but it was - so far as I know - a onetime thing. It swept through, killed most, and then died off. Since everything else was immune, how would it continue to spread? Besides which, there have been groups of non-Argonians living in Black Marsh. The Argonian Accounts should prove that while a very uncomfortable situation to live in, it is possible. Assuming you're not paralyzed and thrown into a river.

Right, I forgot about that.

Zweihander

Hey guys I'm here, sorry today was really hectic and I'm just now catching up. If any of you guys know anyone else who'd potentially be interested in joining up, send them a PM! I think we could use just a few more people before starting.

Also Rydar I do like the look you've given the Black Tower. It's befitting for the modern age and I think you can never go wrong with black. And the idea that some corrupt officials use them (and perhaps exploit them?) also really deepens things and creates more potential for great stories.

Trolls, spriggans, and other creatures still exist although are critically endangered. Once guns and such came about any common peasant was capable of fending off such creatures that, in the past, would've given a skilled warrior a run for their money. They exist in small pockets far from society, with some perhaps living among humans still. This could create a Witcher-like organization, employed in rooting out monsters and creatures still preying on people.

I hadn't thought about the Holds, but I imagine the Tiberian Empire would've consolidated things a bit. Still, there'll definitely be varying regions existing in the country.

I was thinking for Black Marsh we could incorporate cultural elements from Feudal Japan as well as some aesthetic elements from Mesoamerica. A very reclusive and self-isolated society that's voluntarily cut them selves off from the world to stop the encroachment of foreign influence and culture, focusing on what's going on between their own borders.

It's been a while since I've kept up to date with the lore, but as I understand it the Argonians of Black Marsh had a close relationship with the sentient fauna (trees?) in Black Marsh which communicated with them. Maybe in this modern age the vast majority of the hist (I remember now) trees in Black Marsh are gone aside from a single one in the heart of the country. The tree, now very, very old, acts as something of a theocratic ruler for the nation? Revered by all living there with total obedience and devotion?

Wauten Dayhil

Probably not by all. I like the idea of having one (or better yet, a few) hist tree that's become immensely respected. If we go with just one tree, then it'd likely have the most influence close to home, and that power would dwindle as its roots got smaller and smaller, the farther out from the tree you went. So those Argonians on the edge of civilization would be a lot more individual in their thought processes than those who were close to the Hist.

However, if we went a different route and had, say, three to five trees in the marshes, and have the trees be disconnected from each other, then multiple factions could sprout. And so there's mutual distrust between the different tribes. However, I'm not sure if the Hist are connected wholly by their roots or not, which would be the deciding factor for whether or not my concept works.

Zweihander

Probably not by all. I like the idea of having one (or better yet, a few) hist tree that's become immensely respected. If we go with just one tree, then it'd likely have the most influence close to home, and that power would dwindle as its roots got smaller and smaller, the farther out from the tree you went. So those Argonians on the edge of civilization would be a lot more individual in their thought processes than those who were close to the Hist.

However, if we went a different route and had, say, three to five trees in the marshes, and have the trees be disconnected from each other, then multiple factions could sprout. And so there's mutual distrust between the different tribes. However, I'm not sure if the Hist are connected wholly by their roots or not, which would be the deciding factor for whether or not my concept works.

This is actually a really good idea, as it could lead to Black Marsh being divided along political lines with different warring states based around their respective tree. They'd still be linked by common culture and language but be at odds with one another constantly.

I think in the lore the hist were all the same hive-mind type organism, but it's been a long time and we're free to change things up a bit.

Wauten Dayhil

Well, I know it's a hive-mind thing, but because the Hist are trees, I figured they were all inter-connected by a system of roots. Which is how I figured they communicated with each other in order to create the hive-mind.

But yeah, we can definitely re-write things a bit (if we're even doing that) for the sake of the story.

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    Well, I know it's a hive-mind thing, but because the Hist are trees, I figured they were all inter-connected by a system of roots. Which is how I figured they communicated with each other in order to create the hive-mind.

But yeah, we can definitely re-write things a bit (if we're even doing that) for the sake of the story.

Hist trees communicate telepathically amongst themselves and the Argonians. Lore-wise, that is.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts