• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    I like it! The whole idea of assassins-creed-esque Nightingales would fit perfectly here with modern cities. It'd also be really cool if we tied in this idea that they're being persecuted and are wanted dead by the government. It'd add another level of danger to things.

I like the way you think! Very cool!

Zweihander

Thanks!

Also, for the plot I was thinking that we could be a team of people contracted by a wealthy patron of history (who secretly holds an affinity for sorcery and magical items) who sends us on a quest to retrieve a fabled artifact many believe to be lost to history and legend... an Elder Scroll.

Kivuli_The_Khajit

Werewolf Queen of Skyrim
    YASS.

Also, the hybrids, what's the vote on that?

Okay keep 'em separate but closely linked? Like the Black Tower and the Black Hand often work together to handle threats that are more for the other's skill sets?

Fair enough on the lycanthropy.

I got dibs on Hircine, Nocturnal, and Meridia. I can see them getting more directly involved during the ES search.

ALSO, can the new DB keep the Marked for Death shout and the Necromancy school as their specialties alongside modern-to-the-period artillery? Great for confusing and scaring the hell out of the populace. However only the Listener gets the Shout.

Zweihander

I think I'm okay with Hybrids, it'd be cool and new.

I think dragon shouts should be left to the past imo, it'd be a little jarring seeing that on top of magic in the modern age. But necromancy sounds cool for a shadowy assassination organization.

Also, here's an idea. While it would be cool having the modern DB stick to its roots and keep with the worship of Sithis and all that good darkness stuff, what if we gave them a true modern spin? Having them represent something more like the ICA (International Contract Agency) from the Hitman games?

They'd be all about professional, well-dressed, and clean efficiency. Agents would not rely on magic, but instead advanced technology and gadgets to accomplish missions. At the head of the organization could be the shadowy cabal of leaders who still worship Sithis and keep to the old ways.

Kivuli_The_Khajit

Werewolf Queen of Skyrim
    Who the hell says they can't be in the background, Nuro? Yeesh

I like that idea, but now I'm thinking something like 1920s Mafia style. Al Capone and Scarface. I think I like that better. And the leaders are the Faceless, not even their underlings know what they look like. One main leader, the Listener, and perhaps a council of five directly below her. Guildmaster and five masters?

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    Ok so while the Black Hand (Dark Brotherhood) is more professional and efficient while utilizing technology, the Black Tower would be...what exactly?

I want them to be a lot like Assassins from the A.C. series - fast, clever, and very skilled at evasion (Parkour) - but I'm drawing a blank on how they'd operate, and what they excel at. The Black Tower would only be composed of three people, right?

Wauten Dayhil

Demon Hunter and Wordplay Extraordinaire
    Well, considering the common belief surrounding gods and demons is that prayer = power, and each Aedra/Daedra's worship level has been cut by at least 95%, their power to affect the world is likely very, very low. Obviously some would be more powerful than others (i.e. Mora, because scholarly pursuits would likely fuel his power inadvertently), but none would be even close to being as powerful as they once were.

Zweihander

The Black Tower could specialize in more archaic, yet still effective methods of assassination. Getting in close, using blades and forms of magic (maybe something like the blink ability from Dishonored?) and doing things the way they've been doing for millennia?

It'd also add this interesting dynamic of change and whether or not the Black Tower should embrace it or stick to the old ways. Also imo, I think it should be made up of more than three people. Maybe three leaders in the spirit of the Nightingales with a small order of lesser assassins taking orders from them?

Also for the sake of the roleplay don't make your characters too overpowered, this roleplay should be the start of our characters' journey. As things unfold and events occur, that's when they grow stronger.

Zweihander

Well, considering the common belief surrounding gods and demons is that prayer = power, and each Aedra/Daedra's worship level has been cut by at least 95%, their power to affect the world is likely very, very low. Obviously some would be more powerful than others (i.e. Mora, because scholarly pursuits would likely fuel his power inadvertently), but none would be even close to being as powerful as they once were.

This is correct, Daedra certainly aren't going to be receiving open worship in the way of shrines a few minutes outside of a city's walls. Though it'd be interesting if they still held some sort of occult status among those interested in the old legends. Viewing them as old cosmic entities worthy of veneration, and developing a sort of deep fanaticism and obsession with them.

Wauten Dayhil

Demon Hunter and Wordplay Extraordinaire
    Well, I know that most, if not all, of the immortal beings would still receive some sort of worship. But because of the distinct lack of the, as you said, veneration, most wouldn't be able to affect the world of Tamriel. Maybe view it, and obtain information via agents, but not take an active role in shifting events in their favor.

Zweihander

Also, I'm going to make a spiritual successor to the Fighters Guild which in this modern time will act as something of a government-sanctioned mercenary group.

They'll operate within the borders of the Confederation and receive contracting roles from both Tiberia and Meridia. I'm thinking of what we could name them, maybe they could be called the Blades in tribute to the original Blades?

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    The Black Tower could specialize in more archaic, yet still effective methods of assassination. Getting in close, using blades and forms of magic (maybe something like the blink ability from Dishonored?) and doing things the way they've been doing for millennia?

It'd also add this interesting dynamic of change and whether or not the Black Tower should embrace it or stick to the old ways. Also imo, I think it should be made up of more than three people. Maybe three leaders in the spirit of the Nightingales with a small order of lesser assassins taking orders from them?

Also for the sake of the roleplay don't make your characters too overpowered, this roleplay should be the start of our characters' journey. As things unfold and events occur, that's when they grow stronger.

That's a great idea! I'm familiar with the blink ability and I think it would be very effective.

Like you said, that sort of thing can easily become op. So I'll make my character a lower member of the Black Tower with the blink ability. However, that ability must be honed constantly in order to be able to do it, and practiced often to be useful. Kind of like the force. There are those very skilled with the ability, but many can only use a small amount due to a lack of training.

As far as the uniforms for the Black Tower...I'm not sure yet. I'll come up with something, I'm sure.

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    Maybe.

I'll probably base something off of that.

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    Whatever you decide, I don't think I can stress it enough that I think they shouldn't have anything that alters the perceptions of anyone looking at them. Face masks, inherent invisibility, etc. Just feels like a cop-out, which would negate the point of the Black Tower itself.

Yeah. Plus simple stuff like that would make it easier for them to move around without drawing attention.

Zweihander

For the Black Hand I was imagining clean, fitted black suits or dresses complete with ties and pocket watches. Whereas for the Black Tower I was imagining something of a hooded veil or robe atop more practical clothing more suited for running around rooftops.

I'll try and get a character card up soon.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts