• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

Zweihander

Nova Aetas
    A New Age

The world enters the tenth era of existence. Untold millennia have passed since the age of the Dragonborn, and change has come to Tamriel. What was once an antiquated land of mystery and magic has given way to a revolutionized world of blood and iron. Technology and science advance at an unprecedented rate, and with these advances come the advent of new ideas and concepts. Secularism. Rationalism. The Renaissance. All euphemisms for the tenth era. Machines allow an overabundance in things once left in want. In this society, famine and pestilence are mostly but a thing of the past. The people are well-fed, earn wages and live in witness to the fruits of this new age. However, for all the good these new advances have brought them, the destruction and death wrought by these new technologies is absolutely unprecedented. Armies swell to sizes larger than ever with troops armed with musket and cannon, fire and sword. The sheer loss of life seen in these wars of the new age is unlike anything seen in all of Tamriel's history. Begging the question, perhaps this new age is a dark age of its own?

Greetings, this roleplay takes place in a version of Tamriel undergoing an early industrial revolution. The technology in this roleplay represent something akin to the early 1800's of our own world. Our roleplay will take place in the sovereign state of Colovia, a wealthy and bountiful land comprised of territory from former western Cyrodiil and southern Hammerfell. Here we'll act as a band of adventurers, exploring this new world in all of its glory. We can work out our own plot in the discussion
    below.

Major Factions in Nova Aetas

Tiberian Empire: Ruled by Septa Racek and centered in the Northern region of Skyra (former Skyrim) the Tiberian Empire acts as the largest and most dominant force for humanity in Tamriel. Upon Tiberia's expansion and subsequent conquering south into Cyrellia (Cyrodiil) the capital city of the Empire was moved from Solstice (Solitude) to the newly renamed city of Tiber (former Imperial City.) The Empire holds the vast majority of former Skyra, Cyrellia, Hegathe, (Hammerfell) as well as swaths of land in Valerin (Valenwood) and Anequina (northern Elseywr.)

Society in the Tiberian Empire is modeled after the Septim Empire of old, with a massive cult of personality around the Septa (Emperor) and a devotion to Septim culture and history. The vast majority of the Empire's inhabitants are humans, with small pocket populations of Elves. Khajiit and Argonians (or as they are so tactfully referred to in the Empire; beasts) are almost non-existent. Widespread racism and bigotry exists with so many Tiberians acting as jingoistic nationalists. This is reflected in their unyielding support for the military, which is numerically the largest in Tamriel and by many accounts the strongest.

The people of Tiberia see the Septa as something of a living deity. They regard him with great respect and veneration, and some even refer to him as their God Emperor. The fervor and near-fanaticism of many Tiberians is unmatched in all of Tamriel.

Meridian Republic: The Meridian Republic (Meridia for short) is a republican aristocracy comprised of the Meran council (an elected governmental body) and Primarch Vserad. The Primarch is a monarchistic title, and shares power with the Meran Council. The Republic is based in Sommer (former Summerset Isles) and its capital city is the ancient city of Alinor. The Republic holds lands across the South of Tamriel, with territory in South Valerin, South Cyrellia, and Pellentine (Southern Elsewyr.)

The Republic is a far-cry from the former Thalmor controlled Aldmeri Dominion. People here enjoy liberties and protected rights as citizens of Meridia. What was once a land devoted to absolute Altmer purity has become a diverse state which people of many races call home. However, small splinter groups exist within the Republic's borders which still hail absolute racial purity and the destruction of the Republic. In recent years, domestic insurrections have risen considerably, a threat compounded by the Republic's ongoing war with Tiberia.

Iilac Confederation: A conglomerate of independent nation-states along the Western coast of Tamriel. The confederation runs from the Northern tip of High Rock to the kingdom of Colovia in West Cyrellia. The nations which make up the Confederation govern themselves freely and independently from one another, and come together in times of crisis and war to pool their military strength together. However, constant in-fighting and competition between the various nations often hinders their level of cooperation.

The Confederation is home to the wealthiest and most economically adept nations in all of Tamriel. Trade is a major facet of life for the Confederation, which engages in commercial exchanges between both Tiberia and Meridia. This has brought about a major abundance in coin, and subsequently, major innovations in science and art. The confederation is home to the world's largest, and most wealthy city; Praven. Located in the center of the Iilac Bay.

However, while the nation states of the Confederation bask in their wealth, the threat of war looms overhead. With both Tiberia and Meridia coveting the prospective wealth the nations of the Confederation offer.

• In this roleplay, magic is mostly unheard of. It's seen as legend and superstition, similar to dragons and monsters.
    • Technology is advanced, but not that advanced. Nobody's going to be flying around in fighter jets or toting fully automatic assault rifles like an Elder Scrolls equivalent to a Navy SEAL.
    • The world here is not totally fleshed out, part of the fun is us making up elements and lore as we go along.
    • If you're unsure of anything while creating your character, ask about it in the chat and we'll all discuss it and come to an agreement.
    • Race does not exist in the same way as it did in the Elder Scrolls games. Things have been simplified a bit here. The races of men have consolidated themselves into a single, overarching culture and identify as humanity. While cultural lines and individuality exist (redguards still have their curved swords) the races of men are mostly united. Argonians and Khajiit are still considered beast races, while the Elves are still split along strong racial lines.
    • Before we begin the actual roleplay, we can continue to world build a bit here in the OOC. Specifically, I'd like to create more factions and kingdoms with the input of others.

With that said, I look forward to roleplaying with you all!

Zweihander

Hi Kivuli! I hadn't thought about it but I think it'd be cool if the DB was present. Although in a new and refreshing way. Like new name, new organization, that sort of stuff. It's been a loooooong time since the events of the games.

Kivuli_The_Khajit

Werewolf Queen of Skyrim
    Oh yes of course. Hm....I know. The Blood Hand? They still keep some old traditions (Sithis, Night Mother, Marked for Death shout (Come on their hideout has a word wall for it.), Black Sacrament) while having some new ones to fit with the times.

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    I'm super interested in this!

I have a couple of questions.

- I'm on the same page as Grapefruit as far as Argonians. What of them?

- Boats. Do we have sails still? Steam engines? Or early internal combustion engines?

- Buildings. Are buildings still riveted together, or has welding revolutionized construction?

- Is the Thieves Guild still around?

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    I apologize for bombarding you with questions, but we're world-building.

What has become of Vampirism and Lycanthropy?

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    Sorry. I have more questions.

- The Nightingales. What has become of them? And while I'm thinking of it, what about worship of Aedra and Deadra and the cults associated with each.

- Also, can we have a group of freelance mercenaries (similar to the Assassin Creed groups) possibly known as The Black Tower?
    Black Tower is a reference to the hands of a clock at midnight, as the group is mostly active at that time. Also, The Black Tower could be the new-world version of the Nightingales (and there are only three at any given time, thus following the Nightingale Trinity).

- Language. It bothered me that everyone in Skyrim spoke English. While everyone would have to know English for the RP, could it br a secondary language and thus lead to unique accents?

Kivuli_The_Khajit

Werewolf Queen of Skyrim
    I HAVE IDEAS.

A. Lycanthropy and Vampirism still exist, they will exist as long as their respective Daedric Princes do. (Hircine and Molag Bal)

B. Theives Guild still exist, but under new name.

C. Blades secretly exist, but have fallen into legend.

D. Rydar's Idea about the Nightingales is perfect.

E. Rydar's Language Idea is perfect.

F. Merge the Nightingales with the DB, that's what made the Black Tower. There are three true leaders at one point, with mooks below them for mercenary work and assassin work.

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    There we go. I like that idea Kivuli!

Wauten Dayhil

Demon Hunter and Wordplay Extraordinaire
    F. Merge the Nightingales with the DB, that's what made the Black Tower. There are three true leaders at one point, with mooks below them for mercenary work and assassin work.
    That would eliminate the need for the Dark Brotherhood. Unless it would become a sort of rival for the DB like that Morrowind version (I forget the name).

While @Rydar Drake has a good idea about the Languages, how would we all write the "accent"? It seems like it would slow down IC communication.

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    That would eliminate the need for the Dark Brotherhood. Unless it would become a sort of rival for the DB like that Morrowind version (I forget the name).

While @Rydar Drake has a good idea about the Languages, how would we all write the "accent"? It seems like it would slow down IC communication.

It's just something casually mentioned by a character. It could be used to help identify a person, or cause them to have trouble understanding exactly what they're talking about.

Also, Music.

Can we have Jazz and stuff like it in the RP? I want more diverse music in the world.

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    Education.

Where are we with this?

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    Sorry, I'm not trying to spam. There are a lot of things running through my head with this.

Zweihander

Heyyo! I'm back! And I'm here to answer your questions.

• I didn't really get around to discussing Eastern Tamriel as I was a little short on time when typing the thread up and I wanted to give those interested the opportunity to help decide what became of Black Marsh and Morrowind. I was thinking of these two possibilities

1. Morrowind is known as The Ashen Lands, rendered a bleak and grey landscape after centuries of volcanic eruptions and tectonic activity. Many Dunmeri have taken up tribalistic lifestyles as Ashlanders, and resist any attempt to subjugate or conquer them.

2. Black Marsh has remained isolated and cut-off from the rest of the world for many years, with the Argonians building a self-sufficient society deep within the jungles. Now in recent times, explorers and prospectors have begun to make progress into the land and uncover a sovereign nation akin to a more advanced indigenous Mesoamerica.

• As for boats, steam engines exist and make up the bulk of modern naval vessels. Railroads also exist. I'm a bit torn on whether or not we should include biplanes/airships/zeppelins.
    • Welding and other new technology allows buildings to tower higher than before, with some of the richest cities like Praven resembling turn of the 19th century New York.
    • The Thieves Guild exists, although not necessarily with much connection to its past. Where there is coin there is thievery, and thieves band together. It'd be interesting if we played on new concepts such as the arrival of class divides and had the Thieves Guild take up the mantle as some sort of new revolutionary wave for the Proletariat.
    • Vampires and Werewolves can be present, however, understand that the vast majority of the world considers them, as well as other traditional fantasy aspects, non-existent. Only existing in stories.
    • It'd be interesting if we had the Tiberian court create some sort of faux-Blades order, a tribute to the past.
    • I was also thinking of having Akavir serve as something of a New World. Innovations in sailing technology would allow the nations of Tamriel to begin colonizing the continent.
    • Secret cults for Daedra would be interesting, I think it'd be cool if the Daedra sort of became these Lovecraftian type entities that people revered.
    • Language differences would be cool because they'd further deepen cultural lines between the different factions of the world. In Meridia there could be a blend of old-Elven and... whatever humans speak with some touch of Khajiit tongue. In Tiberia, seeing as how human purity is encouraged, they'd speak man-tongue (can we call it Nordic or something rather?)

Zweihander

It's just something casually mentioned by a character. It could be used to help identify a person, or cause them to have trouble understanding exactly what they're talking about.

Also, Music.

Can we have Jazz and stuff like it in the RP? I want more diverse music in the world.

This would be really cool if we had early versions of radio and movies, we could even bring in some Noire-type elements in some of the cities.

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    Awesome!

So what do you think of the Black Tower idea?

Zweihander

I like it! The whole idea of assassins-creed-esque Nightingales would fit perfectly here with modern cities. It'd also be really cool if we tied in this idea that they're being persecuted and are wanted dead by the government. It'd add another level of danger to things.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts