• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Nords generally dislike everything, even other Nords. Enchanting should be fine, unless you use black soul gems, then you're going into Necromancy.

Just you wait, you'll come across a black soul and have the urge to use it... Necromancy lures all.

Hawkamania

Milk Drinker
I have managed to find a couple of filled black soul gems and have avoided using them thus far with this character. Rest assured, I will do my best to hold true to that restraint. :)

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
Enchanting is cool but if your worried it doesnt suit your character and the stubborn nord way, than maybe focus on finding rare/uniquely enchanted weapons. Sure, they wont be as powerful as your own enchants after youve spent countless hours honing the skill but their are some really decent weapons out thier.

Dunno if your doing deadric missions but a large green hammer comes to mind and its got a fantastic enchantment.

Hawkamania

Milk Drinker
I have no issues as at all using strictly pre-enchanted weapons and armors. My current build is a one-handed sword and shield character that is currently wielding the Shield of Ysgrammor. With majority of my characters I do in fact use enchanting, so out of habit I began disenchanting various weapons and armors early in the game. While I knew I wasn't going to use spell-based magic of any kind, I vaguely looked over enchanting. Now I have a character that has learned various enchantments but has yet to practice it first hand with the knowledge he's collected.

So my main reasoning for this topic was to see the various opinions, both from lore and peoples thoughts, to determine what route might be best going forward. I believe it would seem rather pointless from an RP standpoint to have a character that's learned various enchantments, but has never practiced them. I am however still open to opinions that would justify reasoning behind that.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
I have no issues as at all using strictly pre-enchanted weapons and armors. My current build is a one-handed sword and shield character that is currently wielding the Shield of Ysgrammor. With majority of my characters I do in fact use enchanting, so out of habit I began disenchanting various weapons and armors early in the game. While I knew I wasn't going to use spell-based magic of any kind, I vaguely looked over enchanting. Now I have a character that has learned various enchantments but has yet to practice it first hand with the knowledge he's collected.

So my main reasoning for this topic was to see the various opinions, both from lore and peoples thoughts, to determine what route might be best going forward. I believe it would seem rather pointless from an RP standpoint to have a character that's learned various enchantments, but has never practiced them. I am however still open to opinions that would justify reasoning behind that.

If youv already started the process and dont mind the enchant grind (I dont either) than I say stand up and be proud of the type of nord that you are. If you didnt think twice in the beginning about enchanting, than dont let a couple of milk drinkers with loose gums doubt yourself :D

Hawkamania

Milk Drinker
Lol. Well the good news is Majir gave me a great idea earlier in the thread when he mentioned that in the novels Ysgrammor had a Nord Companion that was a very skilled enchanter and because of that, was very well respected. Being that my recent character is built solely around the Companions (recently ascended to Harbinger) and being the Dragonborn, I was going to RP it as my character learning of the previously mentioned ancient Nord Companion's skill with enchanting and continuing his legacy in modern day Skyrim.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Lol. Well the good news is Majir gave me a great idea earlier in the thread when he mentioned that in the novels Ysgrammor had a Nord Companion that was a very skilled enchanter and because of that, was very well respected. Being that my recent character is built solely around the Companions (recently ascended to Harbinger) and being the Dragonborn, I was going to RP it as my character learning of the previously mentioned ancient Nord Companion's skill with enchanting and continuing his legacy in modern day Skyrim.

I believe well respected would be a long shot. Ahzidal wasn't a Companion, he became a Dragon Priest and then he also went quite insane when he sought the secret enchanting powers from the planes of Oblivion

But you also have to remember Atmoran's weren't against magic or enchanting, they themselves had many magic users and some enchanters in Saarthal.

Hawkamania

Milk Drinker
Well there went that idea, I guess I should have read Ahzidal Descent sooner.

Although after just reading the wiki page, I get the impression he was a respected Nord enchanter, at least during the aid of the Companions being that his enchanted weapons were what gave them the edge to defeat the Snow Elves. Obviously once he had cured his lust for vengeance he was too corrupted which led into his darker interests such as eventually becoming a Dragon Priest, as you had alluded to.

paradoxnrt

In an act of thread necromancy, I'm going to point something out about Nords + Enchanted Items.

When you do the Sergius 'pick up item for enchanting' College of Winterhold business, Nord's will indicate that they don't want anyone else to overhear their 'enchanting order'!

This means that Nords will use enchanted items, but actually feel ashamed for doing so! So, Enchanting is clearly frowned on in Skyrim (by Nords, at least).

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts