• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Hawkamania

Milk Drinker
Most of us know that majority of modern day Nords in Skyrim detest and frown upon the use of magic. However, would those very Nords have a slightly different opinion on both creating and using enchanted armors and weaponry? We know that there are several Nordic artifacts, both weapons and armors, in the game that are pre-enchanted.

I'm asking as I've created a Nord who does not use nor learns any forms of spells. However, I have been disenchanting various items, but have yet to use any of the knowledge I've learned to enchant my own gear.

All in all, would a true modern day Nord dabble in enchanting if they chose not to use any forms of magical spells? Would a Nord who did one but not the other be considered a hypocrite according to lore or our various interpretations of it?

Majir-Dar

Confused Khajiit
Most of us know that majority of modern day Nords in Skyrim detest and frown upon the use of magic. However, would those very Nords have a slightly different opinion on both creating and using enchanted armors and weaponry? We know that there are several Nordic artifacts, both weapons and armors, in the game that are pre-enchanted.

I'm asking as I've created a Nord who does not use nor learns any forms of spells. However, I have been disenchanting various items, but have yet to use any of the knowledge I've learned to enchant my own gear.

All in all, would a true modern day Nord dabble in enchanting if they chose not to use any forms of magical spells? Would a Nord who did one but not the other be considered a hypocrite according to lore or our various interpretations of it?
Your average Nord would use enchantments not make them. However, there is a story of a Nord enchanter that learned from all the best mer to learn from them. He then took his knowledge with him to Ysgromer to use his talents against the mer. He enchanted great armours and weapons for the soldiers and was then held as a hero (I'm not so sure about him being held as a hero. You'll want to read the book yourself. It's called Ahzidal's Descent).

As for your second question, no. A Nord that dabbles in enchanting wouldn't be considered a hypocrite. Although I doubt they would like you, they would probably stereotype you as an cowardice mage.

Hawkamania

Milk Drinker
Awesome, thanks Majir for sharing the Nord enchanter story as I have never heard of it before. I've yet to read any of the books and would most certainly be interested in reading any that you might recommend. I love reading and learning about Elder Scrolls' lore.

Also, using the information you just shared, it could give me a very interesting, lore related RP angle that would allow me to dabble in enchanting while avoiding spell-based magic. I've already ascended to Harbinger of the Companions, thus I could RP that my character learned of this historic Companion and decided to rekindle the art of enchanting in order to further strengthen the weapons and armors created by Eorlund at the Skyforge.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
you should now that the ancient nords actually had a fondness of the Arcane, you can see this in the Skall of Solstheim infact the Ancient Nordic word for Mage is Clever man, if you go to Sovngarde and tell tsun you wish to enter by right of cleverness if you have finished the College of winterhold, he even says something along those lines and you go into sovngarde count how many Nords there are wearing robes, Quite a few

Hawkamania

Milk Drinker
you should now that the ancient nords actually had a fondness of the Arcane, you can see this in the Skall of Solstheim infact the Ancient Nordic word for Mage is Clever man, if you go to Sovngarde and tell tsun you wish to enter by right of cleverness if you have finished the College of winterhold, he even says something along those lines and you go into sovngarde count how many Nords there are wearing robes, Quite a few

I've read that before and find that very interesting. Believe me, beyond just enchanting, I've had to have the utmost restraint in order not to at least dabble in restoration magic, especially considering I'm a one-handed, shield user who could certainly use the Respite perk to restore stamina while healing.

tx12001

I've read that before and find that very interesting. Believe me, beyond just enchanting, I've had to have the utmost restraint in order not to at least dabble in restoration magic, especially considering I'm a one-handed, shield user who could certainly use the Respite perk to restore stamina while healing.
It is strange how they say all magic users are weak? so is the Dragonborn Weak for using the Thu'um? that's a type of Magic

Hawkamania

Milk Drinker
I think it goes along with their view of Thu'ums being their own traditional, native form of "magic". They use that as an excuse to differentiate how it is unlike other traditional forms of magic, in order to uphold their prejudice. That's my simplified opinion on that matter anyway.

tx12001

I think it goes along with their view of Thu'ums being their own traditional, native form of "magic". They use that as an excuse to differentiate how it is unlike other traditional forms of magic, in order to uphold their prejudice. That's my simplified opinion on that matter anyway.
in other words they like the Altmer think they are better then everyone else

PuuLoo

What about Ysgramor and his companions? In TES lore i think it is mentionwd that he used to have people that enchant his weaponry and armory. Or am i wrong?

tx12001

What about Ysgramor and his companions? In TES lore i think it is mentionwd that he used to have people that enchant his weaponry and armory. Or am i wrong?
In Ysgramor's time, Nords were fond of magic hell he himself probably had some magic abilities

Mr Forz

I'm helping. Mostly.
Yes, the Nords hatred for magic wasn't inate, there were a fair share of mages and enchanters amongst them just like any other race. The Oblivion Crisis plus the collapse of a major part of Winterhold with its college being surprisingly intact changed this, kind of.

tx12001

Yes, the Nords hatred for magic wasn't inate, there were a fair share of mages and enchanters amongst them just like any other race. The Oblivion Crisis plus the collapse of a major part of Winterhold with its college being surprisingly intact changed this, kind of.
do you think the nords reaction to magic would be different if a nord was archmage at the time and what is with the Jarl saying that the college destroyed their home when the great collapse was 80 years earlier when the Jarl was not even born

Hawkamania

Milk Drinker
That's certainly an interesting question. Anyone know what race Archmage Deneth was? He was the Archmage during the Great Collapse and I haven't been able to find out his race.

On a related note in accordance with my initial post, would you all have your Nord use magic and enchanting based on the ancient Nords or would you follow modern day customs and refuse involvement in one or both?

tx12001

That's certainly an interesting question. Anyone know what race Archmage Deneth was? He was the Archmage during the Great Collapse and I haven't been able to find out his race.

On a related note in accordance with my initial post, would you all have your Nord use magic and enchanting based on the ancient Nords or would you follow modern day customs and refuse involvement in one or both?
well the character I am using is a Nord, he looks just like the Pic in my Signature and Magic is his Primary ability, he will only use swords if enemies get to close but with his power that's highly unlikely thus my Character follows the Old Ways

Rimfaxe96

Even the Nords from today love enchanted weapons. You can tell after that one guy in the College tells you that enchantments are probably the last connection to the people they have left.
Just glad that no matter how stubborn the Nords might be or hate other races (not meaning this negatively, I'd be pissed too after the Great War) or dislike magic, that somehow they still accept that enchanted weapons are the better weapons.
Even though that won't help magic's overall reputation anymore I guess. :/

AS88

Staff member
Taken from the article on the expert Enchanter at the College of Winterhold, Sergius Turrianus, on UESP.net

"When you get near him he will reveal just how he thinks of the College's expertise in enchanting: "Enchanting services are one of the few things that keep us in touch with the rest of Skyrim.", "I think we could blow up half of Eastmarch, and people would still come to us for enchantments." and "The local Nords may not like us very much, but they don't seem to mind having access to enchanted weapons and armor.""

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Sergius_Turrianus

Hawkamania

Milk Drinker
Awesome find AS88 and thanks for sharing that. It seems as though Nords still don't mind using enchanted weapons and armors. However, I'm curious to know how they would feel about a fellow Nord practicing the enchanted arts while still avoiding using conventional magic? I see that as a rather interesting topic of discussion.

Majir-Dar

Confused Khajiit
Awesome find AS88 and thanks for sharing that. It seems as though Nords still don't mind using enchanted weapons and armors. However, I'm curious to know how they would feel about a fellow Nord practicing the enchanted arts while still avoiding using conventional magic? I see that as a rather interesting topic of discussion.
The only Nords (that I know of) that practice enchanting are either in the College of Winterhold or are in Morthal. Both of these people are hated but I suspect that it has to do with location. For instance, a Nord that practices enchanting in one of the more Imperial governed cities/regions wouldn't be thought of wrongly. Whereas an enchanter that practices their skill in a more Stormcloak governed city/region might be thought of as a coward or evil wizard. An example of this would be Windhelm's master wizard, the people of Windhelm think their master wizard is a necromancer (and therefore evil).

Hawkamania

Milk Drinker
As AS88 pointed out, it still seems funny that many of those same Nords are willing to use those enchanted weapons and armors, but Talos help us if a Nord actually practices the enchanting arts!

AS88

Staff member
Farengar up at Dragonsreach is a Nord court wizard, presumably one who makes use of his enchanter's table judging by how much time he spends over it. She's not a Nord, but Arcadia the alchemist is pretty fond of him, going so far as to plan the use of a love potion on him.

Thanks for the rep point Hawkamania, welcome to the forums :)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts