Nord Refugee Character Diary - Hrisskar III

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

BIGwooly

- Turdas, 5th of Sun's Dusk, 4E 201 -

The heavens help me, I'm giddy right now. I just met Ulfric Stormcloak ... in the Palace of Kings. I can barely pen these words my hand is shaking so.

When I arrived Ulfric was speaking to his military advisor about the war. It was fascinating to hear Ulfric speak on Skyrim and the imperials. He is as true a nord as there ever was. His passion for our land deserves the support of every one of us. I relish in the thought of fighting by his side to drive the empire out.

My conversation with Ulfric was short, but it was more than worth my chilly journey last night. I'm ready to fight for him. He had me speak to his advisor, though, and I have been given a task. I'm to head to an island up north, in the Ghost Sea I believe. There I must kill an ice wraith to prove my ability and my loyalty to the Stormcloaks.

I'm ready to do this as well. I've never faced an ice wraith, but I was given a few items to help me out. I hope they do. I would be devastated if I failed Ulfric right from the start.

Tonight I eat a hot meal and sleep in a warm bed. Tomorrow I head to Winterhold .. and from there ... to an island. I won't lie. I'm afraid.

Flint firestorm

The leading man, who else?
Speaking of stormcloacks, if you sided with the imperials on one save will they attack you because I met a patrol who attacked me on site

BIGwooly

- Fredas, 6th of Sun's Dusk, 4E 201 -

My bones are as cold as the ice wraith I've been sent to kill. For the past several hours I've been standing outside in a raging blizzard. I can barely feel my fingers, and they feel like razor-sharp teeth are biting into them. Earlier today, around noon, I arrived in Winterhold. Despite the lightness of my coin bag I decided to take a cart from Windhelm. It's proven to be much safer than walking, and I can appreciate that. Although once again I'm down to about a hundred coins.

Upon my arrival I discovered that the cart would not be staying in Winterhold, so when I decide to leave it will have to be by foot. I'm not looking forward to that. I'm also not looking forward to finding this island with the ice wraith. Winterhold is situated up high at the edge of some enormous cliffs, which is why I spent hours standing outside in this wretched storm.

I was hoping to locate the island I have to travel to, but the the snowstorm has made visibility poor at best. My map is all but worthless as well, since it lacks the detail necessary. I stood out there as long as I could but the storm never broke. In fact, as I try to rub warmth back into my toes right now it is still snowing outside. Perhaps in the morning the skies will be clear and I'll be able to spot the island.

If not, I anticipate a very difficult journey ahead. Killing an ice wraith is surely going to be a great challenge in and of itself, but standing on those cliffs today revealed the other challenge. Just getting to that abomination will be a trial. At the moment I feel I'm just as likely to get killed by something, or fall from a cliff, before the ice wraith gets the chance to do me in. As it is I nearly fell to my death this afternoon while trying to peer through the swirling snow. I managed to slip from a ledge and was fortunate to land on another just below. One more slip and I would have fallen as far as the clouds are high.

I'm headed to bed early tonight to rest up as much as I can. I plan on getting an early start in the morning, and pray to Talos that the storm has passed by then.

BIGwooly

- Loredas, 14th of Sun's Dusk, 4E 201 -

A week ago I awoke to a blizzard. Talos had not granted my request. No matter, I left the inn at Winterhold feeling uneasy but oddly confident. Perhaps Talos had provided the blizzard as cover for my journey.

I departed the vilage and made my way east, across hardened snow and glassy ice. Traversing the terrain was treacherous, especially in my steel boots. About mid-morning the sky finally broke open and revealed the sun. It also reveal a sea of islands in the Sea of Ghosts. Finding the right one was definitely going to be a challenge.

But before I could get that far I had to find a way down from cliffs. They were shear and high, and finding a path was going to be the only way. After some searching I found such a path, but upon checking it out from above I noticed a pair of wolves would be blocking my way. I decided to put them out of my way with my bow, but my first shot missed and they began searching everywhere for me. I was quite high above them, but without the cover of the snowstorm they eventually spotted me and found their way to me.

It was an easy fight I'm proud to say. I haven't had many easy fights recently. So it felt good to put both beasts on their backs in a matter of swings. I considered harvesting their pelts and taking them back up to Winterhold for sale, but it was nearly noon and I didn't want to risk being caught out in the elements at night.

I left the carcasses and continued down the path, which just happened to run past an alter-like structure. I had seen this from up on the cliff and had planned to check it out. I was hoping I could use it as a landmark and reference it on my map. With so many islands in the waters ahead I would need all the help I could get.

As I approached the area I noted there was a body on the ground. The hairs on my neck stood on end as I contemplated what evil had taken this man's life. I approached cautiously, checking my flanks and rear repeatedly. The silence in the air was deafening.

And so was the sound that followed. I recall hearing something like a blast of thunder, as if the gods themselves had roared at me. A blue light of some sort washed over me, as did enormous pain. I fell to the ground in agony and quickly blacked out.

Today I awoke in the inn at Winterhold. I still don't know what happened to me. Something magical I believe. Thank the gods some good person happened along and brought me to safety. Unfortunately I only had enough gold to cover my room for the past week. I'm going to have to find a way to repay the inn for their food and care. For the first time since I fled Helgen I have no gold whatsoever.

For now it seems, my quest to kill the ice wraith is on hold. Forgive me Ulfric.

BIGwooly

- Sundas, 15th of Sun's Dusk, 4E 201 -

I slept for 9 hours last night but still awoke exhausted this morning. Yesterday was a long and trying day. I owed the barkeep 50 gold, so I spent the entire day scouring the surrounding cliffs and crags for anything I could collect and sell. There is barely any vegetation in this realm of Skyrim, so ingredients proved to be considerably scarce. They were worth little as well.

Luckily I happened upon several wolves and were able to kill them and collect their pelts. My strength must be improving because I noticed today I was able to bash more powerfully with my shield. I'm sure this will prove to be useful.

Speaking of beasts, my day started off pretty poorly. Not only did I set out with no gold in my pocket, but within an hour of leaving Winterhold I happened across a very large cat. I would say it was a sabre cat but this one was white. I crouched and froze, and it did the same. For a minute or so we had a standoff of sorts. Our eyes were locked together through the dancing snowflakes.

Just as I was starting to think it didn't see me, the animal sprung forward and charged me. Without a moment's hesitation I used my shout of fear against it, and ran with my tail between my legs back to Winterhold.

The rest of my day was fairly monotonous as I already mentioned. From one cliff I did spot what I think were two ice wraiths. If that's what an ice wraith is I'm feeling a lot less confident. The way they slithered across the snow like magical snakes gave me shivers down my spine.

I ended the day with 68 gold in my pocket, mostly thanks to a book I managed to find next to a skeleton. Some poor soul had gotten caught in a trap and died right there with his companion it seemed. The book was worth a good amount thankfully.

After paying what I owed .. and buying dinner for the day and a bed for the night ... I was left with one piece of gold in my hand. I almost feel as if some god is playing a cruel joke on me. But that was yesterday and today is a new day.

I happened to run into the jarl of Winterhold today, and it turns out he would like a certain helmet recovered from a shipwreck. I accepted the offer because I need the work, and as it happens, it looks as if it's on my way to the island with the wraith. I only hope the shipwreck isn't haunted, but that would be asking too much I'm sure.

iLouis

Psst...I know who you are. Hail Sithis!
Fantastic job! Really engaging, really great. Thanks for posting

BIGwooly

- Sundas, 22nd of Sun's Dusk, 4E 201 -

My situation seems to be getting more desperate. Today I had to sell some valuable paralyze potions I had concocted back in Morthal. I had no choice. I owed the barkeep for another week of room and board after a mishap with some bandits. If my luck doesn't turn soon I'm going to be out on the street with nothing.

As it turns out, the wrecked ship the jarl spoke of wasn't haunted. But it is now apparently the home of 3 very nasty bandits. It took me a while to reach the wreck. Finding shallow areas where I can cross the frigid water is not easy. And even then I have to wait an hour and build a fire to warm myself back to life.

At one point I had to spend an hour sneaking around a snow cat on an island ... only to run into a second snow cat on the same tiny island. It took me a another full hour just to sneak back off of this little island. I've never moved so slow in my life.

But all of that is history now. My reality is now, and it's dismal. I desperately need to score some gold or loot to get back on my feet. I can't start selling my armor and weapons just for food and a bed. I'm headed back out to the shipwreck and I intend to finish those bandits or die trying. I feel like I have nothing to lose. Talos guide me and my mace today.

Calcifer

You are doing a great job still! Your entries are just as detailed and engaging as the first few, please keep it up! Most threads like this die soon after creation, but please don't stop :p

BIGwooly

You are doing a great job still! Your entries are just as detailed and engaging as the first few, please keep it up! Most threads like this die soon after creation, but please don't stop :p

Awesome. I will continue this to the end, wherever that may be. I suspect there is still a long journey ahead for Hrisskar. d;-)

BIGwooly

- Morndas, 23rd of Sun's Dusk, 4E 201 -

My eyes are filled with tears as I write this. It's just after midnight and I'm exhausted but deeply happy. I just had a wonderful meal of cooked salmon and mead. I cooked the salmon myself, and it was delicious. I actually helped myself to more than I needed, but I don't care. I'm happy ... and I have much to write about.

Ironically enough I'm writing this after flipping through the journal of a Telvanni named Lymdrenn. It made for a good read with my dinner. A glimpse into the history of the fall of House Telvanni during the argonian invasion of Morrowind. Given the ending of the journal I suspect their may be an heir living in Skyrim.

But anyways, enough about that. I must explain the tears in my eyes and the jubilation in my full belly. You see, I returned to the shipwreck today to have it out with the bandits holed up there. On the way I came to a tiny island and was attacked by a pack of wolves. It was good that I took one of them out with an arrow before they noticed me. There were three altogether and having to fight two at once was hard enough. By sheer chance or the divine grace of the gods, I just happened to notice a helmet and a book stashed inside a fallen tree next to the dead wolves. I was on this very island a week earlier and had walked right past the items.

The book is a nicely bound historical account of an ancient Dwemer battle, and upon reading it I gained some new ideas on how to fight while wearing my heavy armor. The helmet was just an old iron helmet and I nearly disregarded it. But thank the stars I picked it up. As it happens, the ordinary-looking old helmet is a magical helmet. Donning it seemed to give me more power while using my bow. It's a bit less protection than my nice steel helmet, but the magical element is worth the trade I think. So I took it and left my steel helm on the island, under the tree, for some other lucky fool to find.

When I reached the shipwreck I was freezing from wading through the icy water. But I couldn't just build a fire to warm up or the bandits would surely spot me and come running. Instead, I blocked out the freezing pain in my limbs and I climbed up on the rocks overlooking the shipwreck.

On my last trip the bandits had come from nowhere and surprised me. Not this time. This time I was going to be prepared. So I clamored as quietly as I could over the rocky ridge and surveyed the area. There was a blazing campfire just below me, and it was tempting beyond any treasure I could think of. My toes and fingers ached to be closer. But I wasn't seeing the bandits .. anywhere. Had they left for good? Not likely considering the fire. Had they spotted me already and were hiding and waiting for me to let my guard down? Doubtful, being that they were bandits and had me nicely outnumbered. Were they just out hunting or thieving and on their way back? Had a sabre cat come along and killed them? Had they contracted some foul disease and just died in their sleep?

I waited for a good twenty minutes and finally my body could take no more. I was frozen to my core and shaking violently. If I didn't get dry and warm soon I would die from the cold. I was no longer in any shape to fight, but I had no choice. So I shuffled down the rocks to the fire and crouched next to it for a good half hour.

Once I was dry and warm I was ready to search the area for the bandits. I had a knot in my stomach given that I didn't know where they were. I couldn't allow them to catch me off guard again. In preparation for whatever lay ahead, I poisoned my mace with a paralyze potion and five of my arrows with my remaining frostbite spider venom.

After surveying a bit more I was perplexed. I couldn't seem to locate any bandits, but I was sure they had to be around. The barrels near the fire had contained fresh apples and potatoes. I'm smiling at that thought right now. How fitting that I warmed myself at their fire while eating their food.

I finally decided to climb back up the front half of the shipwreck, as this is where I drew the attack from previously. It felt somewhat foolish, but I didn't know what else to do and wanted to make sure I at least had the higher ground again.

This time, however, I proceeded up the old planks much more carefully. As I reached the top where the ship was broken in half, I noticed that there was a second camp on the other side of the wreck. I quickly set an arrow into my bow and scanned the area. The poison glistened on the arrowhead, hungry for a target. But I saw nothing ... nothing but a pair of beds, some crates and boxes, some barrels and another fire with a stew pot over it. If I wasn't perplexed before, I certainly was now.

The snow and poor light of approaching dusk made it difficult to make out any detail, but I strained my eyes nonetheless. And then ... suddenly ... accompanied by a sick feeling in my stomach, I spotted a tall barbarian with an axe on his back. Amazingly enough he had been standing right near the fire. I had even looked right at him. But the conditions were horrible and I hadn't seen his shadow for what it was. I did now.

I scanned intently, trying to locate his accomplices, but I saw no one else. I decided that perhaps the snow and dim light was keeping me concealed this time, and I should take full advantage of that while I could. With a careful touch I sent my arrow into the axeman's back. As he turned I already had another arrow ready and let it fly. This one dropped him to the ground in a heap.

Out of the corner of my eye I caught movement by the water, and the vague figure of a woman with a bow emerged from the shadows. I ducked down to avoid her first shot, but wasn't quite fast enough. A moment later I poked my head up to return the favor but she was ready and managed to hit me again. For a minute or so I hid from her on the deck of this old ship, trying to figure out how to outmaneuver her. I was injured badly, and likely couldn't take another of her arrows.

But she was a smart one, and while I sat on the deck debating she was already outmaneuvering me.

Sheer luck saved me from taking the third arrow. I quickly sidestepped to my right and popped up to check her position, only to have an arrow miss my head by the width of a finger. To my surprise, the arrow had come from behind me. I spun around just in time to dodge the bandit's fourth shot. I set my own arrow in place, assuring it was a poisoned one, and let it fly. Too quickly. My aim was just barely low and the arrow struck the railing of the ship instead of her chest. I cursed my hastiness, and stepped to the side to avoid another shot. I quickly grabbed another missile from my quiver. This one found her, and the poison seeped into her blood.

One arrow later she was floating face down in the water, and I was frantically searching for the third bandit. As I remembered, he was a huge nord with a comparable warhammer. He was going to be the real challenge and I had to figure out where he was. But a half hour later I had gone through the second camp and even into the surrounding hills and couldn't find him. I was certain he had to be around, but now it was well past sunset and I was craving some food and rest.

I decided to check out the shipwreck itself. I'll be truthful. I didn't want to. My imagination was running wild with the thought of all the types of ghosts and ghouls that could be locked up inside. To my surprise, though, as I reached the doorway to the upper cabin there stood the giant nord. Apparently these were his private quarters. At first he didn't notice me, so I prepared an arrow for his back. But I just had to take one more step to ensure my shot wouldn't catch on the doorframe, and he heard my boot touch the wood.

I panicked and let the shot fly and it cut right between his knees without touching him. The battle was on. In the dead of night I sprinted off the ship and around to the front of the ship. I raced up the deck and turned to find the brute. He was below me, and seemed unsure of how to get up where I was. I made use of my position and managed to get around fourteen arrows into him, with the last remnants of magika in my bow running out.

Out of arrows I had no choice but to confront him directly. I considered my voice of fear, but I hadn't come this far just to run away yet again. No. Tonight was my night. Talos was with me. Victory would be mine.

I set toward him with my mace at the ready. He was eager to crush me with his hammer, and that was his undoing. I moved in close and as he swung the huge hammer I quickly backed up out of it's way. I could feel the air from the swing brush across my face. In an instant I bolted to him and struck him with my mace. He was already in mid-swing again, but the moment the mace touched his skin the paralyze potion took effect. Like an old statue he tipped over into the salty water and I set upon him with vicious strikes. After three or four strikes I retreated and prepped the mace with another paralyze potion.

The stupid barbarian rose from the water and banged his hammer against his chest, taunting me to return to the fight. I did. And again he swung his great two-handed death-hammer, but again I was just able to avoid it's fury. Another strike from my mace and he was rigid in the water once again. I struck at him mercilessly, willing him to die with my hand and my mind. And that he did. While still locked in paralysis the fourth strike finished him off.

In the hours that followed I stripped the bandits and searched their camp. I only wish I could put my happiness into words right now. I have plenty of food, a bed to rest in, a whole slew of armor and weapons to sell, and I located the helm that the jarl wanted.

Perhaps even better, the bandits had a small boat that they used to get around the islands. This is the true treasure of the day, as it will allow me better access to the islands. Most of the islands I've discovered I can't reach because there's no shallow path to them. I'm pretty certain this goes for the island with the wraith on it too. But now I can go to any island I want. Who would have ever guessed I would value rickety old boat more than a chest of gold and jewels?

My eyes are failing me now. I don't know if it's the long day I've had or the effects of the mead, but it's time to put this bandit chief's bed to the test. For the first time in a long time I feel I've earned a good night's sleep.

Bytebrain

I made an account just to tell you how much I love your writing.
Great storytelling, and I can see how you really make the most out of this great game. I will try something similar, though not quite so hardcore, with my next character.

Currently I'm playing a thief, and is having a great time, but I made it way too easy for myself and is regretting it now.
I'm at 100 in smithing, and used enchants to boost outfit with +smithing, the same with alchemy and made my armour way too good for this game.

I'm level 43 and kill dragons in a couple of hits. The game just isn't as fun now as it was in the beginning, when everything was a challenge, most every animal was a threat, let alone dragons...

You mentioned using a boat in your latest account of your adventures, but I thought it wasn't possible to use the boats in skyrim? I haven't found any I could interact with.. Are you just using your imagination there, or is there something I've missed?

Please continue your writhing, it's very enjoyable, and it gives me hope for my next character, your game seems epic.

Gemini Sierra

Pre-emptive Salvage Specialist
- Morndas, 23rd of Sun's Dusk, 4E 201 -Perhaps even better, the bandits had a small boat that they used to get around the islands. This is the true treasure of the day, as it will allow me better access to the islands. Most of the islands I've discovered I can't reach because there's no shallow path to them.

Now THAT would be an awesome mod to have. The small boats to be usable on the rivers and water areas.

I am enjoying your story.
I really wish I had could do something like this. I find I get so immersed in the game that I can't follow my own guidelines and don't take the time to stop and write bits down.
I use a PC and found a great little mod called the Skyrim Compass Tuner, that allows me to turn off the compass markers. I now only have the cardnial headings and only found locations showing up. This alone has made my adventures interesting as I have to locate path markers and really explore to find things.
I may try again to create a character and play similar to your style and try to keep a journal.
I still have to come up with a backstory and a "mentality" for my character though.

BIGwooly

I made an account just to tell you how much I love your writing.
Great storytelling, and I can see how you really make the most out of this great game. I will try something similar, though not quite so hardcore, with my next character.

Currently I'm playing a thief, and is having a great time, but I made it way too easy for myself and is regretting it now.
I'm at 100 in smithing, and used enchants to boost outfit with +smithing, the same with alchemy and made my armour way too good for this game.

I'm level 43 and kill dragons in a couple of hits. The game just isn't as fun now as it was in the beginning, when everything was a challenge, most every animal was a threat, let alone dragons...

You mentioned using a boat in your latest account of your adventures, but I thought it wasn't possible to use the boats in skyrim? I haven't found any I could interact with.. Are you just using your imagination there, or is there something I've missed?

Please continue your writhing, it's very enjoyable, and it gives me hope for my next character, your game seems epic.

Wow. Thanks! Appreciate you following my adventures!

I hear you on the difficulty. I learned with the previous two games (Morrowind and Oblivion) that I had to make some adjustments to how I played to get the most out of the game. To me, limiting how much you can carry is the most important. Otherwise you end up with so much gold so quickly that the game gets boring. My current character has been flat broke twice in just the last two game weeks and trust me, it's a scary place to be.

Regarding smithing/enchanting, I was lucky enough to do some research before I started playing Skyrim. I found a lot of people complaining about how smithing and enchanting were overpowered so I decided just to avoid them from the start. To be honest, it's much more exciting to find a special piece of gear or purchase it with some very hard earned gold. So I'm really glad I did this. I remember having full enchanted armor in the other games and how that made it boring to find loot.

Anyways, I would start a new character and impose some restrictions. If you're looking for a semi-hardcore playstyle I would incorporate the following at least: carry limit, difficulty on expert, only carry 30 arrows, no fast travel except by cart, no smithing or enchanting. I would also consider limiting your character's abilities, like maybe he doesn't pick locks .. or maybe he doesn't use magic, or certain types of magic.

As for the boat situation, I had to use my imagination for that. I wish there was a way to actually use the boat, but there isn't. The problem I was facing up to when I found that boat is I couldn't get around the islands because of the water depth. My character is not allowed to swim with armor on, and especially not in freezing cold water. So I was starting to think I couldn't complete this quest. But when I saw the boat I decided that even if the game doesn't let me use it, my character should be able to.

Hope all that helps! Seriously, start a new game with restrictions and you won't regret it. You are right, my experience thus far has been totally epic. d;-)

BIGwooly

Now THAT would be an awesome mod to have. The small boats to be usable on the rivers and water areas.

I am enjoying your story.
I really wish I had could do something like this. I find I get so immersed in the game that I can't follow my own guidelines and don't take the time to stop and write bits down.
I use a PC and found a great little mod called the Skyrim Compass Tuner, that allows me to turn off the compass markers. I now only have the cardnial headings and only found locations showing up. This alone has made my adventures interesting as I have to locate path markers and really explore to find things.
I may try again to create a character and play similar to your style and try to keep a journal.
I still have to come up with a backstory and a "mentality" for my character though.

Thanks, man. I literally play the game and when nighttime comes in the game and I find a bed I stop playing and type up the journal. If I tried to wait until later it wouldn't be fresh in my mind and the journal wouldn't be as good I don't think. It slows the gameplay down some, but I'm finding I don't really mind.

I like the mod you mentioned. Too bad I'm on Xbox. Not having compass headings can be a huge pain. But overall it's worth it to have to explore and actually find places versus behind led their by the nose by the game. d;-)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts