Nord Refugee Character Diary - Hrisskar III

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

BIGwooly

Your stories are so detailed, sometimes I can even think of the places that you are in! Great job, please keep writing!

Hey thanks I appreciate the comments. It's always helpful to know people are enjoying this. Thanks for the rep too!

BIGwooly

- Morndas, 26th of Frostfall, 4E 201 -

I loathe Morthal. This village is cursed. I was doing so well until I came to this wretched mammoth fart of a town. Nothing has gone right since I traveled here from Whiterun several weeks ago.

Yesterday morning I awoke with barely 100 septims to my name. Another week in bed nursing injuries after another failed attempt to fulfill a contract. I finally found the bandit cave I was looking for weeks ago. It was no easy task either. I had to maneuver around more than one sabre cat to reach the entrance. Inside I was able to put down two of the thieves but then ended up in a brawl with the remaining three. I used my nord-born power of fear to facilitate an escape, but then got greedy and tried to finish the bandits off. It went badly.

So yesterday, after a week off my feet, I awoke to a grim reality. I was nearly out of gold, and my mace is no longer lighting my enemies on fire. Curse this awful town for not having a proper shop for supplies. Even tiny Helgen had my father's shop. The only store here is the alchemist's place.

So I spent the entire day yesterday gathering whatever ingredients I could find in the nearby swamps. Ten hours of scouring the ground for bits of plant. Ten hours of tedium and I only earned 100 gold for my efforts. And to put salt in my wounds, the old alchemist wouldn't even purchase some of the ingredients. I hope her shop burns down like the home across from it.

It wasn't until the end of the day, as the sun was dipping toward the mountain tops, that I realized I was hungry. I went back to the inn only to discover they were out of food. What kind of inn runs out of food? I swear this town is cursed. Sheogorath himself wouldn't set foot in this pitiful excuse for a village.

So with the sky dimming and my stomach growling I set out to hunt for my dinner. As if I hadn't already worn out my feet earlier.

My stomach is full now, but only after spending several hours hunting in the dark. It's nearly midnight and I just returned to the inn. Knowing my luck in this place, they won't have a bed for me. Tomorrow morning I leave for good.

Calcifer

That's it, you have inspired me to try this, although I'm not sure about writing the diary, I'll just follow the style of play. My only concern though is what happens at the start if I am not lucky enough to get lucky enough to be able to buy a bow, it seems like that is vital :sadface:

Rown

So I've playing these restrictions for a few days now, just wondering about your thoughts on the 0% HUD. I find it really hard to fight tougher enemies, not knowing their health or mine its hard to tell when to retreat and for how long. Do you get a better feel for it as you play more? Also, I'm wondering how you deal with the main story quests, have you gone out of your way to complete any or do you stick to a cause and effect style of progression? Huge fan of the journal, keep it up!

BIGwooly

That's it, you have inspired me to try this, although I'm not sure about writing the diary, I'll just follow the style of play. My only concern though is what happens at the start if I am not lucky enough to get lucky enough to be able to buy a bow, it seems like that is vital :sadface:

No need to write the diary. I'm just started doing it as a fun experiment. I think you'll enjoy using the restrictions, though. It really makes the whole experience more epic and immersive.

As for a bow, it's definitely useful at the beginning. But honestly I got by for a while before I got my hands on a bow. I was using fists only for quite a few days. That's the beauty of playing this way, though. You have to just find a way to make it. It's half the fun. d;-)

BIGwooly

So I've playing these restrictions for a few days now, just wondering about your thoughts on the 0% HUD. I find it really hard to fight tougher enemies, not knowing their health or mine its hard to tell when to retreat and for how long. Do you get a better feel for it as you play more? Also, I'm wondering how you deal with the main story quests, have you gone out of your way to complete any or do you stick to a cause and effect style of progression? Huge fan of the journal, keep it up!

Having 0% HUD is a huge challenge. No question. Especially in fights.

My general approach is to retreat or use my nord fear power if my screen gets really bloody and blurry, since that happens when you're about dead. It doesn't work out all the time, though. Sometimes you run into an enemy that can kill you in two hits, and you never get a chance to retreat. I had this happen with a bear recently. But now I know that I absolutely MUST avoid contact with bears.

So I would say it's a combination of just getting a feel for things and learning from previous confrontations. I've probably died a good 15-20 times since starting this character (one of which was falling from a cliff like an idiot). So it's a lot of trial and error and just playing on the cautious side. But to me that feels more realistic than just charging into battles knowing I can load a save from 2 minutes prior if it doesn't work out.

And now, if I die I have to spent 7 days/nights at an inn doing nothing but resting. At the end I have to purchase items from the innkeep in the amount of the cost of the room and food for those days/nights. So now dying deals a much harsher consequence as it costs me time and some significant gold.

Regarding the main quest, I haven't started it yet. I'm currently just playing the story that feels right, which for me is getting my skill up so I can go join the stormcloaks. My character's driving ambition is to shed imperial blood, so joining the stormcloaks is priority #1. I have a feeling he'll be heading that direction soon. And I'm sure soon enough I'll work myself into the main quest as well. Just waiting for the time that feels 'right'.

Thanks for the questions and the comments. Much appreciated. Good luck!

BIGwooly

Oh, and one more thing about the 0% HUD. It's a challenge AFTER a fight too, because I often know that I'm injured but I don't know how badly. This can make it a challenge to figure out when to move on and how long to wait. If I can get my hands on it I plan to start carrying a health potion or two around to deal with this issue.

Flint firestorm

The leading man, who else?
Wait can you use woodcutting earLy on in river wood. Also I like to know what class would be good to start with besides nords(or wood elves)

BIGwooly

Wait can you use woodcutting earLy on in river wood. Also I like to know what class would be good to start with besides nords(or wood elves)

Personally I don't use what I call 'money buttons'. In other words, cutting wood is just a process of standing there and pushing a button. It's too easy to make money that way in my opinion. At least with selling ingredients you have to put yourself at risk and go look for them. Same goes for mining ore. You have to go find it, and you could run into trouble on the way. So no, I don't allow myself to ever do wood-cutting. d;-)

BIGwooly

Flint firestorm

The leading man, who else?
So I was doing the same as you in skyrim but on the second day of fishing I found an underwater crypt which had a mace jewals and armour. It made me feel like I was cheating so I left it. What do you think? I thought maybe he does not loot the dead

BIGwooly

- Tirdas, 27th of Frostfall, 4E 201 -

I feel I'm living a nightmare. Today I set out to leave Morthal but it won't let me go. No sooner had I stepped out of it's view when a trio of small frostbite spiders set upon me. I was near death several times over the next hour as I juggled fighting them and maneuvering around the cover of rocks and trees. Eventually I overcame the last one and harvested their toxic blood.

A short time later I came across some sort of structure and went over to investigate. A skeleton with a sword met me but I bested him after a few minutes. I really miss having my mace burn my enemies. No doubt this will prove much more troublesome on the road ahead.

Inside the structure I found the body of a dead necromancer. I assume he was a necromancer. I don't know why else anyone would hang out in a crypt with a book on necromancy. There was a staff on the ground next to his body that I'm sure would fetch 300 septims or more at the right shop. It was too heavy for me to carry so I had to leave my steel gauntlets behind. This was not an easy decision, given the journey before me.

A bit later as I was traveling the road I came across a hostile nord wearing an old iron helmet. His hands flashed with flame and I immediately felt outmatched. I ran, and was able to lose my attacker in the nearby forest.

Now I'm back in Morthal, wondering how I will ever get out of here. The road I was following didn't even seem to be going toward Whiterun. I feel so trapped. It seems this town has placed a hex on me, and I'm unable to leave it. My mind feels like it's cracking ... like it's leaving me. I have to get out of here somehow. It's late in the day and I would prefer to travel by the light of the sun, but maybe I should just leave while I can .... before this village claims my sanity.

BIGwooly

So I was doing the same as you in skyrim but on the second day of fishing I found an underwater crypt which had a mace jewals and armour. It made me feel like I was cheating so I left it. What do you think? I thought maybe he does not loot the dead

Great question. It all depends on the situation and the character you are playing. Early in my travels I came across a scene where a Thalmor had murdered some worshippers of Talos. I'm a follower of Talos, so I left the worshippers but looted the Thalmor. I didn't keep his 'thalmor gloves' though because it felt wrong to me. So I sold them.

In your situation my character would loot the chest. As long as it appeared abandoned, I would see no harm in it. If I suspected it belonged to someone I would leave it. Does that help?

BIGwooly

- Tirdas, 3rd of Sun's Dusk, 4E 201 -

A week ago I decided to return to Solitude. From there I wagered I could catch a lift on a cart back to Whiterun. Sort of a round-about way of doing things, but also the safest. Or so I thought.

I hadn't been out of Morthal for even an hour's time when I came across a giant frostbite spider. For some reason I thought I could take it, but I was wrong. The fight was a fairly short one, and next thing I knew I was back to staring at the ceiling of the Moorside Inn.

For a week again I've been bed-ridden. Those spiders really do some damage to a body. And if that wasn't bad enough, I now have just forty-one pieces of gold in my pocket. I haven't been this poor since I first showed up in Riverwood months ago.

This morning I will try again. I have to. I can't bear another moment in this god-forsaken village. Talos be with me.

BIGwooly

- Middas, 4th of Sun's Dusk, 4E 201 -

I'm the happiest nord in all of Skyrim right now. I'm sitting at a table at the Winking Skeever as I write this. That's right, the Winking Skeever ... the inn in Solitude. I made it out of Morthal .. finally. Thank the gods I made it out.

I journeyed all morning yesterday through the dangerous swamps. I count my blessings as this time I encountered but a few mudcrabs and no spiders .. or worse. By noon I had reached the Karth River. It was a welcome sight because it meant I had reached the edge of the swamps. Just upstream was the dragon bridge, and the road to Solitude.

With sun on my back and the birds in my ear I hiked up into the mountains. It was a gorgeous day. In an hour's time I had reached the dragon bridge, and the village just beyond it. As I continued up the road toward Solitude I felt a wave of relief wash over me. It was as if I had awoken from my nightmare.

But I wasn't out of the woods yet .. as they say. Just outside the village I ran into a strange man with a bad temperament. He wasted no time in readying his shield and some sort of magic in his other hand. It was obvious this fetcher intended to fight, so I considered my options.

My first instinct was to bait him into using his magika. Although he had a shield he hadn't drawn a weapon, so I determined his magic must be more dangerous. Also, I didn't see a sword or mace or anything on him, which meant he probably only carried a dagger. A dagger against my heavy armor would likely be fairly ineffective.

We danced with each other for a few moments before he loosed his first spell at me. Ice. My confidence grew. Not only does my shield carry a partial resistance to magic, my nord blood carries a significant resistance to frost. Perhaps this fool was unaware of this, but anyone in Skyrim should know this of nords. I'm guessing he simply didn't know any other useful spells. Pity for him.

After a few minutes of dancing and dodging I decided it was time to close and bring the fight to him. I had to sidestep a few more spikes of ice but then I was on top of him. My first blow was a heavy one, but he caught it with his shield. My second he caught as well, after which he began assaulting me with a steady spray of freezing pain. I panicked for a moment. Pain does that to you. But I reassured myself that my partial resistance would buy me the time I needed.

As I closed in on him I got a grand idea. You see, the place where we were fighting was right at the edge of a huge cliff. My attacker had made a critical mistake and placed his back to the cliff edge. Now, as I pushed forward to strike him, he retreated backwards and focused his attention on blasting me with magic. I decided to take advantage of this.

Calmly and with great confidence I pushed forward through the blizzard of ice, closing the distance bit by bit, as he closed the distance between him and the cliff. Before he knew it he was at the edge, and realized his blunder. But it was too late. With a single shove of my shield he stumbled backwards ... over the edge of the cliff and to his death.

Now you might think that this is where I gave a great yell and celebrated my thoughtful kill, but there wasn't time. I jest not, but the moment the man's body disappeared from my sight a pair of very large spider legs took his place. As it turns out, a giant frostbite spider had observed our fight from afar and came to join the festivities.

I spun around with my shield still raised as the cruel beast leapt on me. A week ago a spider just this size turned me out in the swamps near Morthal. I wasn't about to let that happen again and spend another week recovering in a bed.

I probably should have just used my voice to send the spider fleeing, but I was so close to the cliff still. I figured I might be able to deal the spider the same fate as my previous assailant. The only trouble was the size of this spider. My first shove with the shield barely seemed to move the spider, and I felt panic seeping into my veins. I shoved again and still the spider clung to the craggy rocks. He bit me a second time and I could feel my life ebbing from me. It was now or never. With all my effort I shoved a third time.

For a moment it seemed I had failed. The spider slid backwards on the rock a bit, but did not fall from the cliff. I winced and awaited his final bite and the end of my life. But as luck would have it the spider couldn't attack me. He had slid just far enough that it was taking all of his effort just to cling to the rocks. Better yet, after just a few more seconds he began sliding backwards. With great satisfaction I watched him struggle, and then slip from the cliff.

He fell quite a long ways but amazingly enough he survived. I had no intention of leaving the creature alive, though. I pulled my bow from my back and put a third of my arrows into him. The way the spider crumpled with the impact of my final arrow made me smile inside my helmet.

I continued on to Solitude after that. I sold the staff I had found and got nearly three hundred gold for it. Not as much as I had expected, but still a good bit. Then I got a meal and spent the night at the local inn. Now it's early morning and I'm about to head out and look for my victims from yesterday. I hope I can reach them before someone else does.

BIGwooly

- Turdas, 5th of Sun's Dusk, 4E 201 -

A blinding blizzard and the black of night has made it nearly impossible for me to write tonight. The jarring of this old cart hasn't helped either. But nothing can quell my excitement right now. Through the wall of snowflakes I can make out a bridge and a rampart. Windhelm.

Much as seeing the remains of Helgen changed my life, so did yesterday morning. I set out with a simple task, and as usual, it got complicated. Although not in a bad way this time. You see, I set out to find the bodies from my fight the other day. Surely the spider would still have enough blood to fill a flask, and certainly the man had a valuable or two on him.

From my vantage point on the cliff I had noticed a camp below near the bodies. Assuming it was an imperial camp, I was careful in my approach that morning. I wouldn't trust an imperial to sweep a floor, so my guard would up.

To my great elation, the camp was not an imperial camp. It was a Stormcloak camp!

I talked to everyone in the camp, including the leader. Their resolve and courage were contagious. Hearing them all talk about crushing imperials skulls in put me in the mood to fight. Best of all, the camp leader suggested that I journey to Windhelm and speak to Ulfric Stormcloak. Me! Of all people ... me. He seemed to think I was ready to join them. I was astounded. I still am.

I can scarcely contain my excitement right now, in spite of the biting wind and cold in my toes. I see the gate for Windhelm through the snowstorm, and just beyond is Ulfric. I'm disappointed to be arriving in the dead of night. Ulfic is surely sleeping. I'll have to wait until dawn to speak with him.

In the morning my destiny rises with the sun.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts