Nord Refugee Character Diary - Hrisskar III

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Irish Sweaters

Your age, sex, and body condition all affect your stamina. Those who have a low stamina are fatigued more easily and can also experience a lack of motivation, so increasing your stamina actually improves your quality of life

UnstoppableBeast

Lion of Peril
Wow, this sounds...amazing, actually. Really cool, in fact. I think I might just delete my current character (only level 10, anyways, lol) and go for something similar.

I hope you don't mind if I set up a similar "journal" type system? I'm highly inspired by you, actually.

BIGwooly

I stopped playing my level 24 char to start this one, so by all means do it! And do the journal too! I'm honored to be an inspiration. I'll be returning to this journal shortly ... sitting in LAX right now on my way home. d;-)

BIGwooly

- Sundas, 6th of Heartfire, 4E 201 -

I'm sitting in front of a fire at The Bannered Mare in Whiterun tonight ... licking my wounds. My expedition to route the bandits at the stronghold didn't go so well today. I won't be collecting that bounty just yet.

But before I get to all that, I must ruminate on something that is plaguing my mind right now. Yesterday I traveled from my camp to Whiterun. It was an uneventful trip and I can't say that bothers me in the slightest. Whiterun is quite a city. I've never seen a town so large and so well fortified. The walls are so high and there are guards everywhere.

Speaking of guards, as I approached the main gate I was stopped by a guard. He insisted that Whiterun was closed to entry due to all of the recent reports of dragon sightings. Dragon sightings! I couldn't believe my ears. First this poor couple in the mountains, then a crazy old lady in Riverwood ... and now guards? I'm really starting to worry that the rumors are true. Talos help me if I ever come across a dragon in my travels. I can barely dispatch wolves.

I was able to pay the guard a bit of gold and gained entry to the city. I didn't really have a choice. I needed some supplies, and a meal and somewhere to spend the night. I was a bit put off by everyone in the city, though. They all seemed to be having this problem or that and wanted me to help out. Maybe it's the way I'm outfitted right now, but it's a little overwhelming to have so many people asking for help.

At one point I overheard a man chiding an old woman about her son, who he claims is dead. The old woman obviously didn't believe and so I spoke to her afterwards. It seems there are two clans in Whiterun and one has sided with the empire and the other with the stormcloaks. This poor woman's son chose the latter and is now missing. I assured the lady I would look into the matter.

As it turns out, this nearly landed me in jail. I went to the Battleborn house and spoke to a clan member. He became insistent that I chose a side, but although my heart is against the empire I'm new to this town and thought it best to limit my involvement for now. The clan member was upset that I refused to choose and told me to leave. I tried to look around a bit to see if I could glimpse any proof that the old woman's son was indeed alive. The Battleborn lost his patience quickly, though, and called the guards and accused me of trespassing.

So I paid a fine and decided to walk away from the issue for now. I was only in Whiterun for the night anyways so there was no sense in getting dragged into a fight I knew nothing about. I spent the rest of the night chatting with folks at the local inn before heading to bed to rest up.

Now I'm right back at the very same inn trying to figure out what to do. I was able to find the bandit stronghold earlier this afternoon. As I approached a man up high on a bridge of sorts pulled a bow off his back and drew an arrow. I was able to dodge the shot due to the distance, and decided I better retreat and survey the situation from a different vantage point.

Now this bridge, if I can call it that .. I mean, it does span a river so I guess it's a bridge. Anyways, it connects to a tower next to the road. On the other side of the road is a large mountain with a rocky cliff face. So I spent the afternoon hiking around the back of this cliff so I could reach the top. At the top a wolf came out of the trees and attacked me but I was able to block with my shield and dispatch it in just two hits. I feel like my blocking and striking skill is improving nicely.

Once I was through with the beast I crept up to the edge of the cliff. My antagonist bowman was visible on the tower, his bow still out with an arrow drawn. I suppose he heard me fighting with the wolf but just didn't know where the fighting was. These canyons have a funny way with sound.

I spent about an hour with my bow on that cliff, taking shot after shot while the bandit searched for me in vain. He was quite a ways away so I had to take quite a few shots. I think I loosed about a dozen arrows and hit him with four or five. Then fate handed me a bag of septims. The bandit, in his attempt to take cover or come find me ... I don't really know what he was doing ... but he managed to fall from the tower. And he fell a long ways before the ground greeted him.

I was so ecstatic for my fortune that I ran down to find his body. But while searching for it an arrow flew past me and I discovered a second bowman on the bridge. I sprinted over by the tower to take cover from him, only to have two more bandits burst through the tower door and confront me. I raised my shield as my mind raced. I didn't want to retreat, but I was facing a pair of capable fighters and it's never a good idea to fight while outnumbered. I trade a few blows and blocked a few blows and quickly realized what I had to do.

With blood clouding my vision I released my native tongue and sent the two bandits running back into the tower. And then ... with my pride between my legs ... I limped back here, to Whiterun.

I purchased a few potions and a new set of arrows with my remaining coin this evening. I need a better plan if I'm going to go back to that stronghold. I might even need better skill with my mace and my shield. I'm not sure yet. I'm going to have a bite to eat and mull it over tonight and I'll make a decision in the morning when my mind and body are fresh again. I might have to tip the bard here before I head to bed. His music is calming my nerves.

BIGwooly

- Tirdas, 15th of Heartfire, 4E 201 -

I've been laid up in Whiterun for more days than I care to remember. I used to love listening to the bard downstairs, but I swear if I have to lay here and listen to one more tune I'll go mad.

About a week ago I made another attempt at the bandit stronghold. I managed to catch the initial pair of guards separately, and despite taking a blow from each I took them down fairly handily. I assumed this was a good sign for the fighting to come. I assumed wrong.

No sooner had I dispatched those two bandits, when a third came through the doorway of the tower. He slammed a a large war axe against his chest, but my confidence was high. I didn't waver. He charged me and I blocked his first swing, but I missed my own heavy swing. As I was recovering my balance another bandit joined the fight. I don't know if this is the leader that the bounty letter mentions, but I instantly observed that he was going to be a difficult adversary.

He stepped from the tower wielding a very large two-handed claymore, and lightning slithered along the length of it's blade. Instinctively I delivered my shout of fear. I knew I was no match for this brute and his axe-wielding partner. Somehow, though, my yell was blocked by the bandit with the axe.

So as he fled back into the tower in absolute terror, the bandit with the giant sword pushed forward and attacked. I managed to get my shield up just as his massive sword came crashing down. The blow nearly knocked my to the ground, and as I stumbled backwards I gasped in pain as electrical current coursed through my body. I wanted to run ... but the sword was coming again ... and again I stumbled backwards. I was not going to win this fight. I managed to get a hit or two in but that sword was a monster of nightmares, and the next thing I knew I was pulling my eyelids open at the inn in Whiterun.

I spent five .. or six ... maybe seven days in bed recovering from my injuries. Never in my life have I hurt so bad. I barely even remember the first few days. But a week in bed does wonders and this morning I'm feeling like myself again. You may think I'm crazy ... nay, you may believe me to be insane ... but I'm going back to the bandit lair. If I'm to ever become a stormcloak and avenge my father's death, I must find a way to overcome the impossible. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared. I'm quite afraid. But life is full of fear. Gods-willing, by tonight I will overcome it.

BIGwooly

Just wanted to provide an update on restrictions. I've decided to turn off auto-save, 'save on wait' and 'save on travel' and will only use 'save on rest' for my saves from now on. That means I can only save when I can sleep. No manual saves allowed either.

BIGwooly

- Middas, 16th of Heartfire, 4E 201 -

It's been nearly an hour and still I can't calm my heart. What a story today will be for my grandchildren. The day I .. Hrisskar the 3rd ... completely on my own ... managed to defeat a band of brigands I wouldn't have dared make eye contact with just a month ago.

After an extra day of rest in Whiterun I made my way back to the stronghold. The archer was still patrolling the bridge between the towers when I arrived. With the utmost of care I moved from rock to rock and snuck into the roadside tower. Once I made it to the doorway that led out to the bridge I hesitated. I had to make sure I didn't spring my attack on the archer until she was as close as possible. Otherwise she would fill me with arrows as I tried to reach her, and worse, she would call out the brute and his bodyguard. My stomach turned just thinking about his massive magical sword.

I crouched by the doorway, barely allowing myself to breathe. As I was trying to figure out how to time my attack, the bandit showed me the way. As it turns out, a shaft of sunlight poured down the ramp from the bridge to the doorway. When she reach the end of the bridge I could see her shadow arrive. Not to be too impatient, I waited for her to leave and come back a second time. Then I sprung into action.

Barely had I taken a step when I heard her call out. "Is someone there?" she asked, a fleck of concern in her voice. I burst through the doorway in a full sprint with my mace ready for blood. She was already backing away and notching an arrow for me. I had already assumed she would manage to get at least one arrow off before I could reach her, so it was little surprise when I felt the burning pain from her first shot. But then I was on top of her as she struggled to free her dagger. Too late. With a powerful overhead swing I dropped her like a sack of potatoes. Even I was surprised that she fell with a single strike.

But I didn't have time to relish in my kill. From the tower on the opposite side I saw the bodyguard with the axe run out onto the bridge. He had blood in his eyes and a tight grip on the axe as he sprinted toward me. I had no plan for this. I had only thought as far ahead as killing the girl. I readied my shield ... and then .... the brute with the sword appeared on the bridge behind his guard.

Now I knew what to do. Run. I was pretty sure I could handle the guard, but there was no way I was sticking around for a fight with the both of them; especially not on a bridge high above an icy river. I considered using my fear shout, but I just couldn't. I wanted to use it for offense, not defense. That was the only way I would ever win this fight.

So I ran. Down the the ramp and into the tower ... down the steps of the tower ... down the road. Well, I tried to run. My sprint and attack of the archer had sapped me, and I was already out of breath when the bodyguard first appeared on the bridge. So I as best I could I 'ran' away.

They were behind me until I managed to cut up the mountainside to the cliff I originally used to spy on the fortress. They must have lost sight of me in the trees. I waited on the cliff edge until I saw the bodyguard, far below me, entering the tower. I then retraced my steps and made my way back to the tower.

To my surprise and horror, the brute was still out on the road and he ended up spotting me. I turned and ran again and he followed. This time I didn't stay up on the cliff, but continued past and quickly made my way down the other side to the road. I then ran back up the road to the tower and waited.

But as I waited I realized I might have the perfect opportunity at hand. With any luck, the bodyguard may have just gone back to the second tower by himself. He may not have realized that the second chase had taken place.

As quickly as I dared, I made my way into the tower and out to the bridge. I was anxious that I might be trapping myself, with the bodyguard in front and the brute leader behind. But I also felt a sense of urgency. This might be my only chance to separate the two. I reached the second tower and took a look back across the bridge. It was late evening now and the darkening sky wasn't much comfort. But I didn't see a barbarian with a huge sword running my way so I took relief in that.

I made it up one set of stairs before I heard the bodyguard. He had apparently heard me. My sneaking ability is fairly poor, so I wasn't surprised. My mace and shield were already prepared for battle before the bandit turned the corner. It was a tougher fight than I expected, but I put him down.

Once again, though, I couldn't relish in my kill. I knew the bandit leader would have to be returning very soon, and I needed a plan fast if I was going to survive the next ten minutes. I quickly ran down the stairs and checked the bridge, half expecting to see a shadow with a shimmering sword running to finish me off. But the bridge was as clear as the night sky.

I turned and quickly toured the tower, looking for any good spot to lay an ambush. There weren't any I could see. At least nothing that was going to give me a distinct advantage. I was nearly at the top of the tower when I started to get a plan in my head.

The tower was fairly dark, and as long as avoided the candles I could probably wait in the doorway at the bridge and remain unseen. I could then poison my bow, which already has magical frost damage, and the moment the bandit leader appeared on the other end of the bridge I could launch a sneak attack. I would then fire arrows into him as he ran across the bridge, and switch to my mace as he got close. My mace would already be treated with a paralyze potion I had purchased in Whiterun. After a single strike I would freeze the bandit and finish him off before he could recover. That was the idea for the plan, anyways.

But I just had to go to the top of the tower. I was right there. I took the final step and peered over the edge. To my absolute horror, the bandit leader was right below me, halfway across the bridge already. He spotted me right away and drew his sword with a yell. As he dashed towards the tower my mind raced. My whole plan was a wash now. Within seconds he would be upon me and I would be dead.

With no time left I scrambled to find my bottle of paralyzing poison. I could hear the brute's footsteps crashing on the stairs of the tower, bringing my doom closer every second. Finally I managed to get the poison on my weapon just as he appeared below me.

Without hesitation I charged him and struck first. His body seized up and he fell slightly against a nearby wall. I went wild. Over and over I struck him with the mace. But the paralyzing potion was only good for a few seconds. After just a handful of hits he recovered and lifted his massive sword against me. I raised my shield, trying to buy myself some time to think. I had to find a way to trap him so I could use my voice against him. Behind me was the top of the tower, so I just needed to get on the other side of him.

His sword crashed down on my shield and the pain was almost unbearable. I did my best to ignore the tendrils of shock damaged that crawled across my body. As much as it hurt it was even more horrifying to actually see it. But I took the blow and was able to step past the brute. Just as he was about to hit me a second time, and likely finish me off, I parted my lips and sent fear into his heart.

He turned to run but I pressed forward to block his escape. Once again my mace crashed against his armor over and over. As luck or fate would have it, I was able to push him into a small covey I hadn't noticed before. He was unable to run or even move, and could do nothing but take my strikes.

As my arm grew weary he finally submitted. I considered it for a brief second, but the contract in my pocket was for a dead bandit leader ... so I smashed his skull with a final, powerful blow. I was nearly shaking the moment it was over. I couldn't believe he was actually dead. His massive sword lay on the ground next to him, completely harmless now.

As I write these words I'm still in the fortress. I could make the trip back to Whiterun in the middle of the night, but there is a bed here and I'm exhausted. I'm going to fall on this pillow and have a hero's dream tonight.

BIGwooly

- Loredas, 19th of Heartfire, 4E 201 -

It's morning at the inn in Whiterun. Last night I slept so well. After two restless nights sleeping in the bandit stronghold and two days of trekking gear back to Whiterun, any bed would have felt great. But my venture was more than worth the pain and effort. In addition to the reward gold, I was able to sell a good portion of the bandit gear. I only have about 400 gold to my name right now, but that's because I made a few good investments in my own gear.

While browsing the wares of a local blacksmith I came across a magical mace and just had to purchase it. In addition to it's crushing power it also afflicts the enemy with burning pain due to a special flame magic enchantment. I'm told that some hits will even catch my enemy on fire and cause them additional grief. I'm looking forward to seeing that.

I also replaced my old iron helmet with a nice steel helmet and procured some nice steel gauntlets as well. My previous gauntlets had a magical charm on them for alchemists, but I don't know a blackberry bush from a spiddal plant. So it was a decent trade given my new gauntlets give better protection. I also now have a set of steel chest armor courtesy of the bandit leader I slayed. If only my father could see me right now. I'm sure I look more formidable than I really am, but still.

I did nearly die again two days ago. I made a very stupid mistake. I decided to toss the bodies of all the bandits into the river, and was up on the bridge pushing the body guard over. Luckily for me I was wearing only a pair of shoes and some old clothes. I had stored all my armor and weapons to make it easier to haul sellable gear back to Whiterun.

As the guard's body slipped over the side I stepped closer so I could watch it hit the water below. The next moment felt like a dream. I could see and feel myself falling, and it didn't seem real. But it was. I had slipped off of the edge and was falling to the icy water below. I saw the body of the guard hit the water and I was right behind him. I was certain this was my end, and I couldn't believe it. I was going to leave this world because I fell off a bridge. I couldn't bear the thought even as the air rushed past me and the water lept up to meet me.

By divine grace or luck or some other unknown force, I plunged into the water. It took me a moment or two to even realize I was still alive. The water was so cold I felt dead already, but I wasn't. The burning in my lungs was telling me otherwise. I broke the surface and inhaled a hefty breath .. and a fair amount of water. Seconds later I was on the bank, coughing up water and shaking my head in disbelief.

Now I had two stories to tell my grandchildren. The time I defeated a band of thieves, and the time I cheated death by falling from a bridge.

I spent another night at the stronghold since my clothes were soaked and I was freezing cold, but that's all in the past now. Last night while eating my dinner at the bar in the inn I was able to score another contract. The inn's owner apparently has some connections and heard I was looking for work, so the bounty is mine to claim. I only hope I can make an easier task of this one.

BIGwooly

- Fredas, 25th of Heartfire, 4E 201 -

Last week I learned yet another lesson the hard way. I returned to my island camp to collect the supplies I had stored there. But they were gone! Well most of them were gone. I was upset at first, but then again it's been a few weeks since I stayed there. No doubt some poor traveler came across the camp much in the same way I came across that camp in the valley, and thought it abandoned just as I had. I'll just have to be more careful in the future.

Despite my losses I have a smile on my face tonight. An old scrap of paper in my pocket has my spirits and my imagination soaring like a cliff racer.

Earlier this morning I cleared out a cave that had been housing a troublesome trio of bandits. While I was paid 100 septims for my deed, the true value of my action lies scribbled on a small piece of paper I found in the bandit leader's chest. The paper has a rough sketch of a landmark on it with a another sketch of what looks to be a path to follow. I'm trying to contain my excitement, but I believe this is a treasure map. Tomorrow I'm going to go look for it. I'm pretty sure I recognize the landmark and if I'm right it's very close to Whiterun.

This should hopefully make up for having to spend another week in bed at the Bannered Mare. Although I was able to dispatch two of the bandits quite easily, the bandit leader gave me a severe beating on my first attempt. I made sure when I returned to the cave I hit her with an arrow first and I had my burning mace poisoned as well. It was still a tough fight, but she didn't last.

But enough writing for tonight. The candlelight is make my eyes strain and I need to get to bed so I can wake up early and go claim a treasure!

BIGwooly

- Loredas, 26th of Heartfire, 4E 201 -

I'm at the Moorside Inn in Morthal tonight. Not really where I expected to be when I woke up this morning. In fact, I really only just planned to look for the treasure and spend the rest of the day drinking to my new fortune at the inn in Whiterun.

Well, not to complain over finding treasure, but the treasure wasn't quite what I had expected. After a short hike from Whiterun I found the chest partially buried under a tree. I cracked it open with hasty excitement, and found a small bit of gold and a few jewels inside, as well as a dwarven dagger. Not bad for a morning's work, but not really the vast riches I had dreamed of last night.

With the rest of the day to kill and nothing much to celebrate, I decided to stop by a shop in Whiterun that sells ingredients and potions. I've mentioned before that I'm no alchemist, but after browsing the alchemist's wares and reflecting on my previous uses of poisons, I got the idea in my head that it might be a good idea to learn a thing or two about making potions.

The shopkeeper is an expert alchemist, and surprisingly she was quite nice and even offered me training. I didn't have much coin so I decided to pass on the offer. But I did notice she had a few potion recipes for sale. One of them was a recipe for paralyzation. Seeing as how this has come in handy for me several times, and given the reasonable price for the recipe, I had to purchase it.

And because of that I'm eating some cooked beef in a room at the Moorside Inn in Morthal right now. After purchasing the recipe I discovered it required two ingredients. The first I was able to purchase from the shopkeeper in Whiterun, but she didn't have the second ingredient. It was swamp fungal pod, and that led me to believe I could find it on my own if I found a swamp.

According to the old map of Skyrim I have, the town of Morthal is on the edge of a swamp. So after half a day's journey in the back of a wagon I arrived in the dreary town as the sun was setting. I found another alchemy shop while walking through the town, but she was also out of the ingredient I needed. Luckily I found what I needed after only an hour or so of searching just outside the town.

I'm not fond of the idea of swamps, and especially not once the sun has set. So after gathering a good bit of fungal pods, and finding a bit more of the first ingredient as well, I headed back to Moorside to create a paralysis potion.

I caught the alchemist just as she was about to close her shop for the night, but she allowed me to use her alchemy set. I paid her for a bit of training, and no doubt that helped her disposition toward me. I was able to create the potion on my first attempt to my surprise and delight. I'm sure my creation is weak compared to what the shopkeeper could create, but I'm happy nonetheless.

Skyrim is a very dangerous place I'm finding out, and my fighting skills often aren't good enough. It will be nice to have an edge when I need it.

Lemviticus

This is awesome, you're a really excellent role player!
Have a wonderful holiday! :D

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts