PS4 No Contest Fishing Quest bugged/item duplication issue?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

giveuptheghost

Hi. I'm new here, so apologies if this is the wrong place to post this, but I can't sort out this issue and haven't been able to find an answer online.

I am playing on PS4, so may well be screwed. I can't go back to an earlier save without going way back. I don't have any mods other than the ones automatically included with the new anniversary stuff.

In one of the new fishing quests, No Contest, eventually you loot a journal off a guy, read it, and learn that his ring is in the water nearby and you have to fish it up. Well, no matter how many times I open and read the journal, the quest doesn't advance from 'Read Brutius' journal' to 'Fish Up Brutius' Ring'. I think maybe what happened is that when I looted him I somehow got 2 copies of the journal and that the 'true' copy is 'under' the duplicate and so the game hasn't registered that I've read it. Problem is, it's a quest item so I can't figure out how to get rid of the dupe copy. They are just stacked in my inventory.

I've tried fishing at the spot for quite a while and have not gotten the ring (in case the whole quest will just advance once the ring is fished up, but I don't think it will come up without the journal portion advancing, based on every other quest that asks you to read a journal...)

I did try getting thrown in jail, breaking out, and then stealing my items back, and I went through everything adding items back into my inventory one by one in hopes of being able to only loot a single copy of the journal, but the journal wasn't in the evidence chest at all and then both copies just reappeared in inventory once I left the jail.

So I suppose what I am wanting to know is:

Does it just take a long time to fish up the Warlock's Ring and I should keep trying even though the journal portion didn't advance? Or is the duplicate journal the issue?

And if the duplicate journal is the issue, is there any trick to being able to drop a quest item (that isn't armor/weapons, which I know can be put on mannaquins/weapons racks)? This quest is new enough that it may be no one has had this specific issue yet, but I imagine a similar scenario could have happened with another quest, so maybe there's a workaround.

If not, oh well, I guess my next character will have to be the fisherman.

MannimarcoPolo

Hi, I'm on PC and I encountered the same issue. I can tell you that your guest is exactly right. I removed one journal using the console, read the journal again and the quest progressed to "fish the ring". I don't have a PS4 so I don't know how you would solve this beyond reverting to an older save. Sorry.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts