[NEWS] TESO to be Subscription based

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Will you still buy TESO?

• Total voters

Roq'ja

High Value Target of the Dark Brotherhood
Points taken and understood.
My apologies to Jarif.

Delusional

Connoisseur of Hallucinations
I'm an Elder Scrolls player and I'm far from rich, just pay the $15, or don't. The game won't flop, you know it won't. What do you expect? The game creators who've put a significant chunk of their life into creating the game we've been dreaming about, for you and me no less, have done so for free? Find employment, you'll understand.

I'm not exactly sure where you got your perception on my comment from. I understand they have put a significant amount of time into the creation of the game, and the price is necessary to keep it running and to pay for the development. I never argued against that-- in fact I never once mentioned it in my comment. I am simply saying that players who do not regularly play MMORPGs, who are not used to paying subscriptions for an Elder Scrolls game, may not find this as enticing as previous TES games, that only require a one-time payment for hours on hours of single player experience. I said that regulars in the MMORPG genre will not find this to be a surprise at all, and will still invest in the game. It's the people new to the genre where you pay monthly in order to keep the servers up and running that I referred to.

I feel that the fanbase of the Elder Scrolls series is one of the targeted audiences for this game. However, since many TES players may shy away from the game solely due to the subscription fee, there is chance that the player base may be lacking, considering many from one of the targeted audiences may stay away from such an 'expensive game', in their eyes.

Then again, it's all a personal opinion. No need for hostility, right?

Find employment, you'll understand.

Also, snap judgements such as this are quite rude. I'm not sure how much about my real life you could gather from a comment regarding my predictions for TESO on a forum website, but I can assure you that I understand what working hard to earn your keep means.

Maybe next time, don't judge so quickly.

:D

Google

Subscription model for an MMORPG. Not completely unforeseen.

Unfortunate. Could be... Problematic.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
Not to have any problems with the payment of monthly subscriptions to TESO but here in Australia the Prices do appear to look a bit steeper because of the Valure of the Money in each Country $60 in the US is $100 Here so people in this country would be less obliged to have to pay a monthy description of about $25 here because it looks like its worth more to the Untrained Eye and the way people are just because the numbers appear higher despite them being the same price, if you were in a country that only asked for $10 for the Game and $10 there was worth $60 in the US or $100 in Australia and the monthly subscribtion their was $2 a month then you would find more people from the US or Australia to be more optimistic to buy the game in such a place just because it LOOKS cheaper when it really isn't

Zatam Zar

.esrever ni ti daeR
Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! *Bangs head on desk*

None of my friends are going to be willing to pay monthly for this game. I have never gone from so hyped to not interested so fast before. I was already planning out my characters and everything now my experience of this game will be strictly YouTube or Livestreams.

Who knows maybe i will change my mind closer to spring 2014?

At least there is still plenty to do in Skyrim.

*Sigh*

The Dunmeri Rogue

The Gallant Dark Elf Rogue
I wasn't planning on getting TESO to begin with, but to be honest, this isn't much of a surprise. (most) MMOs will always rely on subscriptions and pay-to-win features--they always have, and TESO seems to be following suit. There's no doubt that with such a steep subscription price, along with the fact that it's a MMO based off a successful SP franchise, the player base will be lackluster, even from the start. Hardcore MMO players may not find the price unusual or steep at all, but that's because they are used to paying so much for a game. Us Elder Scrolls players, who would get into the game because it has 'Elder Scrolls' in the name, aren't used to paying buckets of subscription money for a single game--we are used to a single fee that awards us with a fantastic single player game.

So yeah, unless they change the policy, TESO is bound to flop.

tumblr_m378j6ndTv1r0ftodo1_400.gif

View attachment 9661

I'm an Elder Scrolls player and I'm far from rich, just pay the $15, or don't. The game won't flop, you know it won't. What do you expect? The game creators who've put a significant chunk of their life into creating the game we've been dreaming about, for you and me no less, have done so for free? Find employment, you'll understand.
TOR,LOTRO,DDO,TERA and RIFT all disagree with you bro.

funny Dragon Age,Skyrim,Guild Wars,Dragon's Dogma and Kingdoms of Amalur were my dream games none required a monthly fee.

High King of Skyrim

King of the barbarian horde

I'm not exactly sure where you got your perception on my comment from. I understand they have put a significant amount of time into the creation of the game, and the price is necessary to keep it running and to pay for the development. I never argued against that-- in fact I never once mentioned it in my comment. I am simply saying that players who do not regularly play MMORPGs, who are not used to paying subscriptions for an Elder Scrolls game, may not find this as enticing as previous TES games, that only require a one-time payment for hours on hours of single player experience. I said that regulars in the MMORPG genre will not find this to be a surprise at all, and will still invest in the game. It's the people new to the genre where you pay monthly in order to keep the servers up and running that I referred to.

I feel that the fanbase of the Elder Scrolls series is one of the targeted audiences for this game. However, since many TES players may shy away from the game solely due to the subscription fee, there is chance that the player base may be lacking, considering many from one of the targeted audiences may stay away from such an 'expensive game', in their eyes.

Then again, it's all a personal opinion. No need for hostility, right?

Find employment, you'll understand.

Also, snap judgements such as this are quite rude. I'm not sure how much about my real life you could gather from a comment regarding my predictions for TESO on a forum website, but I can assure you that I understand what working hard to earn your keep means.

Maybe next time, don't judge so quickly.

:D
Well said. I was only playing anyway, I'm a plops stirrer by nature. Didn't mean to offend you or sound hostile, that last comment was made purely with light hearted intentions. :)

High King of Skyrim

King of the barbarian horde
I wasn't planning on getting TESO to begin with, but to be honest, this isn't much of a surprise. (most) MMOs will always rely on subscriptions and pay-to-win features--they always have, and TESO seems to be following suit. There's no doubt that with such a steep subscription price, along with the fact that it's a MMO based off a successful SP franchise, the player base will be lackluster, even from the start. Hardcore MMO players may not find the price unusual or steep at all, but that's because they are used to paying so much for a game. Us Elder Scrolls players, who would get into the game because it has 'Elder Scrolls' in the name, aren't used to paying buckets of subscription money for a single game--we are used to a single fee that awards us with a fantastic single player game.

So yeah, unless they change the policy, TESO is bound to flop.

tumblr_m378j6ndTv1r0ftodo1_400.gif

View attachment 9661

funny Dragon Age,Skyrim,Guild Wars,Dragon's Dogma and Kingdoms of Amalur were my dream games none required a monthly fee.
Well, if those aforementioned people all disagree with me then I must be wrong! ESO is doomed! :rolleyes:

The Dunmeri Rogue

View attachment 9661

Well, if those aforementioned people all disagree with me then I must be wrong! ESO is doomed! :rolleyes:

Those are major P2P mmos that all went F2P a few years after launch despite at least half being labelled WOW killers.Just saying the evidence's against it I mean even Star Wars,Lord of the Rings or DC comics couldn't hold subscribers.

Matt

The Last Pen Fighter
I am much happier with shelling out 15 a month for this game than I am with the notion of it being "free". No Free To Play game is really free to play anymore. When I was still playing Star Wars The Old Republic I spent at least that much a month on cartel coins for various things to keep me competitive in the PvP market or to gain access to fast travel or new flashpoints. To me, asking for the 15 dollars upfront is much simpler than pretending to be free but asking for money later.

You get what you pay for, and Zenimax has already made it clear that they plan to release new content regularly for the game. I am willing to wager that some of the naysayers whether here or elsewhere are judging this game as a static property such as Skyrim or Oblivion that doesn't change aside from a few DLC's. In this case, with an MMO, you get new content continuously. On top of that there will be more content than a standard single player game as well when you factor in the number of locations, quests, and of course, the extensive and unique PvP of the game. Constantly battling over the fate of the throne in Cyrodiil? Epic.

While none of this is an argument for getting rid of the solo, single player experience that this gaming universe provides, it does show that this game is definitely worth the price. As far as budget goes, this will actually SAVE me money as this will be all I play for months, aside from what I already have in my collection. I typically spend upwards of 20-25 dollars a month on trading in games to buy new ones with an occasional spike of 60 bones as I buy something new (80 dollars in a single month in that case). In this case, I'll be saving somewhere between 5 and 10 dollars a month with the potential for more if it keeps my interest.

The Dunmeri Rogue

I am much happier with shelling out 15 a month for this game than I am with the notion of it being "free". No Free To Play game is really free to play anymore. When I was still playing Star Wars The Old Republic I spent at least that much a month on cartel coins for various things to keep me competitive in the PvP market or to gain access to fast travel or new flashpoints. To me, asking for the 15 dollars upfront is much simpler than pretending to be free but asking for money later.

You get what you pay for, and Zenimax has already made it clear that they plan to release new content regularly for the game. I am willing to wager that some of the naysayers whether here or elsewhere are judging this game as a static property such as Skyrim or Oblivion that doesn't change aside from a few DLC's. In this case, with an MMO, you get new content continuously. On top of that there will be more content than a standard single player game as well when you factor in the number of locations, quests, and of course, the extensive and unique PvP of the game. Constantly battling over the fate of the throne in Cyrodiil? Epic.

While none of this is an argument for getting rid of the solo, single player experience that this gaming universe provides, it does show that this game is definitely worth the price. As far as budget goes, this will actually SAVE me money as this will be all I play for months, aside from what I already have in my collection. I typically spend upwards of 20-25 dollars a month on trading in games to buy new ones with an occasional spike of 60 bones as I buy something new (80 dollars in a single month in that case). In this case, I'll be saving somewhere between 5 and 10 dollars a month with the potential for more if it keeps my interest.

Nope I'm comparing it to other mmos that people claimed as the next big thing that all failed.Though I admit I'm interested to see if Bethesda will compete with itself by making TES6 if this takes off.

jarif

Hey got some good new, well if you call it that. They will be giving gift cards, so you go to store and buy a giftcard to play ESO

Dawn

Not unsurprising they plan to launch as sub, though I wouldn't place any bets on how long it stays sub only post launch. It is far easier to sell expectations and hype now than it will be to retain subscriptions several months after launch.

Every MMO that I'm aware of which launched with a subscription model in the past several years is now F2P.

Bioware / EA spent ridiculous sums of money over many years to develop one of the strongest franchises (Star Wars) into an MMO (much likely far more than Zenimax will spend on ESO), only to prove large amounts of money, years of development, lots of hype, and a well loved franchise do not guarantee a successful game.

And this hasn't just been a SWTOR problem, most big budget or well hyped MMO launches in the past several years have under-performed expectations, though most have settled in as stable but small niche F2P games.

And for me, it isn't the cost that matters most, it will be the game play and whether or not I find it enjoyable and worth the price.

I just don't have a lot of expectations for ESO at this point given what I've seen so far. It looks like a mash up of too many disparate gaming styles set lightly in Elder Scrolls lore frame-work. Just not sure if and how it will all come together and whether it will have any sustaining entertainment value.

Oh and I'd venture the sale price and the launch subscription model are both tied to an effort to recoup as much of the development costs as early as possible.

If subs stay high, they can afford to keep a decent sized staff and put out lots of content. If subs nose dive, they can always lay off half the staff, go F2P, and sale costume lottery boxes in a cash shop to hard core ES fans and still come out ahead.

UnfaithfulServant

Silence, my brother...
It's not going to flop because 2/3 of the people complaining right now will still buy the membership. It's happened before. Also, this should've been obvious. I knew that TESO would be a subscription based game.

Hargood

Defender of Helpless Kittens
Don't mean to be rude, but ...eer, yeah. This thread make's me "rawful" :D

The Game is going to be nothing like Elderscrolls. It will be a total cookie cutter MMO painted to look like an Elderscrolls Game ...and NO one cared or understood that one bit.

..But the fact that it has a subscription has finally made this a Horrible game?! :rolleyes:

Honestly, I will Join the Heroic Boycott of this game because I wasn't going to touch it anyways, but In the World of MMO's,:

"If its that good to play monthy for a fee .....we will charge you a Monthly fee".

and

"If it too crappy to charge a Monthly fee. We won't charge you a Monthly Fee".

That, my friends who are obviously new to the whole MMO thing, is exactly how that works.

Matt

The Last Pen Fighter
Cookie cutter MMO? Explain that please.

Nothing about this game looks identical to anything else I've ever seen in any other MMO. The PvP is unique, the combat system will be its own, and the questing has its own methods not common to the genre. Sure, there will be "instanced" dungeons and other mechanics that are part of the genre as these are convenient forms of getting groups together to tackle a massive quest, but the rest of it certainly at least 'looks' like it will be a fresh addition to anyone's MMO library.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts