Newbie afraid he'll never leave Skyrim!!!

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Jimmy1973

Hello from SE MI! My name is Jimmy and I'm a former RPG addict and afraid I have fallen off the wagon by finding Elder Scrolls V Skyrim. I could easily play until passing out sitting up but I will try to not do so. lol
Wife and kids probably wish I didn't get this for our PS4. I am currently running around as a 2 handed warrior though starting to wonder at lvl 17 if I might want to switch to 1 handed. I will ask about that in another thread. But dang is this fun!!!

Blessings!
Jimmy

Ukka

Hey Jimmy, I'm new to the forum too! also, I understand what you mean when you just can't switch off Skyrim. I'm on my second round (playing a Nord female, warrior, two one-handed swords now at lvl 42).
Welcome!

Jimmy1973

Hello Ukka,
Thank you for your response andthe welcome. When you mention 2nd round, does that mean you finished the Dragon Born main quest with your first character already? Or just went so far and decided to play another one?
What weapon style was your first (if you used weapons) and which is your favorite so far?

Ukka

Yep, I finished the first Dragonborn main quest during my first run as an Orc female. I did most game with enchanted orchids greatwsords, until I reached 100 smithing and I switched to dragonbone greatswords.
After I finished the main quests there was still a lot to play (skyrim is truly endless) but after a while I stopped playing. When I bought Xbox one I then decided to get Skyrim, after a couple of years on completely different games.
I tried with a complete new character, as I'd like to play an archer, but without a mouse I found it too complicated.
So far I'm still at the beginning of the main quest as I'd like to concentrate on side quests.
Also, for the first time I'm playing with mods

Jimmy1973

Yeah I am playing on PS4 and have gotten the hang of the controls. Probably helps that I am not used to a different control set up. Hit level 18 last night finding Mirak. I enjoy the side quests and do some main quest, then go off on side quests... wash, rinse, repeat. I haven't done any smithing or enchanting yet and am seeing I better start. Since I have already spent perks on 2hand I didn't want to switch to one hand as I think I would rather make that decision at the beginning to better allocate perks. Not sure yet. I have watched some nice "character build" vids on YT from ESO and FudgeMuppet. That is what made me start wondering about switching to one handed. They also talk about the importance of smithing and enchanting though one build does focus on not having to craft at all. Strange concept but seriously tempting due to my limited time on the console at night having 2 kids.

Are you playing your second go around on PC or XBox 1? I will only do console and hope to do this all without any mods.

Ukka

Well, what you say makes sense, but well after a while if you decide to buy trainings from NPCs (I buy archery lessons and thieving as I needed a higher level for a quest for example) you'll find it easier to switch weapons. I understand also that if you don't have too much time to spend on games you want to make the most out of it. I have a little more time now as I'm homeworking but usually I don't have to play everyday.
I've always played on Xbox, I am too used to control and honestly I couldn't play without a joypad, but for precision a mouse would be better.
Well I never used mods in any game, I recently discovered that xbox one ( I guess PS4 too) gives you the possibility to simply download the mods and activate or deactivate them to play. They just enhance the game a little bit, for example I installed a couple of ones to make Whiterun a little bigger and I have a market outside the walls and a new village on the east of the main gate. I also have a couple of other settlments near Helgen and one in the north, near Dawnstar. Some mod adds side quests too.

Jimmy1973

Well, what you say makes sense, but well after a while if you decide to buy trainings from NPCs (I buy archery lessons and thieving as I needed a higher level for a quest for example) you'll find it easier to switch weapons. I understand also that if you don't have too much time to spend on games you want to make the most out of it. I have a little more time now as I'm homeworking but usually I don't have to play everyday.
I've always played on Xbox, I am too used to control and honestly I couldn't play without a joypad, but for precision a mouse would be better.
Well I never used mods in any game, I recently discovered that xbox one ( I guess PS4 too) gives you the possibility to simply download the mods and activate or deactivate them to play. They just enhance the game a little bit, for example I installed a couple of ones to make Whiterun a little bigger and I have a market outside the walls and a new village on the east of the main gate. I also have a couple of other settlments near Helgen and one in the north, near Dawnstar. Some mod adds side quests too.
Thanks for that info. Mods for console too eh? I suppose I might look into that just to add content as I try to spend more time off main quest to level up my 1 handed. I want to start doing enchanting too as I have a lot of enchanted weapons stored up now that I can disenchant. I have a good amount of $ so I’ll go find trainers and blow some cash to up my skills. I did switch to my one handed Dawnbreaker and a Dwarven Shield and hit a few week areas and it was fun so I’ll try going that route.
I appreciate your sharing your experience with me. It helped a lot!
So I will research PS4 mods but since we are chatting I’ll ask you too... where do you go for console mod info?

Last edited:

Ukka

Well you just google it. I've found some well written and clear article about it, then on youtube you find lots of tutorials. I can't post links but on Gamesradar website there is some useful article.

On the homepage you should find MOD in the menu, if you click on it (don't remember if you have to register to bethesda) you'll open a page where you can search all the mods by topic (like texture, objects, new villages etc...). You simply download the stuff and it activates automatically. You can always access the MOD page from the game to deactivate one mod or from that homepage menu to delete one if you don't like it.

The mods come from a page called nexusmods where developers upload the files. For PC you have to download the files, for console is much easier (I guess PS4 is just like Xboxone).

I use the page to find mods I might like then search from xbox and download them

Jimmy1973

my gosh I totally forgot it has Mods in the opening page in the game. duh! lol I've watched so many Skyrim content and tutorial vids I have a play list of all Skyrim and it's filling up fast! lol

Thanks again for the help.

Jimmy1973

Welcome to you both.

Go to the Bethesda web site and all the mods for consoles can be found there.

I used this web site for learning about mod orders etc...

Thanks for the welcome Scarey!!! And thank you for the resource. I will certainly put that link to good use!
JImmy

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts